bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Deep Quest - Released on August 17, 2007

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jun 18, 08 5:53 PM
Deep Quest takes you to the watery realms of the Deep, where an epic battle between Abyssians and Gordlons is underway. You will command the Abyssian Defence Force and undertake 10 Quests, each with unique maps and challenges. Upgrade your units and structures to win battles. Get lost in an engrossing story line with plot twists and great characters.

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

Re:Deep Quest - Released on August 17, 2007

[Post New]by peutetre on Sep 9, 08 5:05 AM
I don't know of a guide, just forums with tips here and there. I've played through this a bunch of times so I can probably help with various strategies.

What problems are you running into with Level 5?

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Sep 9, 08 8:13 PM
Thanks for the help. I just can't figure out to protect my sea mage. She keeps getting killed off and no matter how many tridents or merboys I train and upgrade the sea witches keep coming and eventually kill them all off. I haven't even gotten close to trying to save Braveshell and the Turtles. I've lasted long enough to save the fort, repair it, build up my troops but then she's gotten killed off and after that all is lost. Even my priestess gets knocked off and then I can't heal anyone after the battle. I've tried training new mages but then I don't have enough troops to protect anyone and again I'm defeated. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm so impressed that you've played through all the scenarios more than once. I'd be happy to get through them just once!

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by peutetre on Sep 10, 08 1:44 PM
I didn’t finish all the levels easily!!! I gave up on Level 7, Striking Back (Seaweed Plains), for quite a while, then tackled it again a while later. Some general things I found out that worked, and didn’t work, for me:

Not a big fan of mages or merboys. The mages are too much bother for their worth except for really big attacks. They run out of power so quickly, then they’re just sitting ducks. I usually keep them in the background, use them once and let them get killed off . . The merboys aren’t very strong and they tend to cause more trouble than they’re worth. Attacks are triggered by crossing into certain areas. The merboys tend to run ahead to face any enemy, even if the enemy is just standing around and not attacking. The merboy attack just triggers a bigger battle when you may not be ready for it. On the other hand, merboys are cheap and act as good sacrificial lambs. If I’m not sure what lies ahead, I may just send a merboy speeding into the area just to see what’s there. He’ll be killed off quickly, but at least I got a sneak peek . . .

Because of that, I’m a fan of the trident warriors. They’re more expensive, but they give you more control over the game. Since they can attack from longer distances, they don’t tend to run off and create problems like the merboys.

All that said, as you get established, try what works for you. Some people are huge fans of the mages, especially the upgraded mages in later levels. . .

Anyway, on Level 5, once the first 3 fish are killed off, I send the two trident warriors to take out the witch from the end of the ridge on the right. I keep everyone else back where they were just to keep out of trouble. Make sure the tridents hug the wall to the right. If anyone wanders too far to the left, or up the fork to the left, there’s another big fish, a couple of little fish and a couple of warriors lurking. Not good . . . By sticking to the wall to the right and keeping everyone else where they are, the fish and others will keep away for now.

Just to the east at the end of the ridge, there’s a couple of rocks and crystals. If you move the tridents near the rocks, they’ll stay by the rocks and take out the witch. As you’ve probably found out, crossing down past the crystals there triggers a battle . . . and you don’t have enough troops yet to live through that one just yet. So, with tridents hiding by the rocks, take out the witch, then have the gnome fix the fort. While the fort is upgrading, have the gnome build a trident warrior barracks right below the magma bubble thing and the rock next to it. This may trigger the bad guys lurking near there but if you stay close to the magma thing, you should be safe.

When the coral stronghold is done, train 5 more gnomes and upgrade the trident barracks to train the upgraded trident warriors. Build one hamlet between the barracks and the stronghold. Get the gnomes harvesting crystals and bubbles to keep training tridents.

When the stronghold is done, you’ll notice that the little map suddenly shows some blips: 3 small blips to the south (red ax men) and 3 big blips, one south, one east and one southwest. Those are watch towers that you’ll soon have to deal with . . . The one to the east is in a passageway guarded by several fish and spear guys. The one to the south has a hornet’s nest of red ax guys, spear guys, witches and a couple more fish. Where the southern and eastern passages intersect, there’s training facilities for ax guys and spear guys, an enemy fort and another tower.

Just so you have an idea of the other stuff ahead, the third big blip you see is a watchtower right below where the turtles are. Near it are another watch tower, two witch plants, a fort and 3 more towers clustered together . . .

Anyway, when you have 3 or 4 tridents trained, it’s time to get to work because a couple of fish and red guys will attack. Bring the merboys up to help out but your tridents should be able to handle them if you right click on enemies one at a time to concentrate your attacks on them. (I also don’t do the control-1 grouping thing. I found it took too long for most situations. Instead, I use the left cursor to “box” a group and move them that way. This also helps if the mage is in the group because you can just click on her picture in the lower left to be able to select her and use her powers) Keep the merboys back, but let your tridents take out the other two red guys to the south, as well as the watchtower. Don’t let them cross past the tower though! Pull them back to the fort for now. You need more hamlets and any movement is going to bring on an attack, if one hasn’t started already.

The good thing is that the area just south of the barracks and the fort is now safe for building so build a few more hamlets and train 4 or 5 more gnomes for crystal and bubble harvesting. Keep building hamlets and training tridents as you can throughout the level. Of course, when your population limit reads 100, you’re maxed so all gnomes can work on harvesting only.

Hopefully you’ve got 8 or so tridents by now with others popping out of the barracks. You can take this time to bring the priestess and mage to the fort and heal any tridents that are low on health.

That done, move a group of at least 5 tridents to the north end of the ridge to the east. They’ll take on some fish and a tower. There will be a few enemy spear guys here as well but by right clicking on them one at a time, the tridents get rid of them fairly quickly. When in doubt, retreat a bit toward the fort to lure the enemies closer and avoid triggering more enemies. Sometimes a trident or two will start going down that passage along the east. Bad idea at the moment, so reign him in until you have 7 or 8 tridents to send down that way with another 4 or 5 to defend from the south.

When you have the two contingents (7 or 8 to the northeast, 4 or 5 to the south), go ahead and slowly work down the passage to the northeast. They’ll have to clear out fish and spear guys but they’ll also come across a spear guy training building (with some more spear guys, unfortunately). Have them work on those because, in the meantime, there’s probably an attack of witches and red guys by the south passage . . . Use your second contingent, plus any new tridents and your mage if you like, to handle those, then have both contingents gang up on whatever’s left.

To the southeast of the area you’ve cleared is another huge trigger point, so don’t move there until you’ve replenished your troops. When you have at least 7 tridents, inch to the south to clear out the area, keeping to the easternmost wall as much as possible. Keep retreating either up the east passage or coral passage to the south of the fort to thin out the attacking enemies. Some will follow, some will not, so it gives you the opportunity to pick them off. Also, keep moving trained tridents into your attack force.

When the wave of attackers is cleared out, move a contingent all the way to the east. Hugging that wall, inch south to take out the red ax training building and the enemy fort. Reinforce as necessary to clear out the area. There’s a big trigger point west of here, right by the ridge, so be careful of that. Also, some enemies may attack your base while you’re here, so it’s good to keep a couple of troops back there. That’s where my merboys usually are, as well as any new tridents . . .

When you’re set with at least 9 relatively healthy tridents, hug the southernmost wall, by the magma bubbles and follow the ridge north to the watch tower. Attack it and be ready for a whole bunch of everything. Again, retreat as you can, right click to focus attacks on individual enemies to get rid of them quickly.

There will be another watch tower just north of that southernmost passage. It’s the one where the turtles are. Once you get rid of it, the turtles will be free. The bad thing is that the turtles move, well, like turtles—very, very slowly. There’s still a ton of enemies so you’ll have your hands full protecting the turtles. I avoid freeing them just yet. Instead, concentrate on getting rid of the witch making building, then moving to the rocks just past it to start picking off axmen and spears. You’ll need to keep moving in fresh forces and retreating a bit to thin out the attack. . .

To the east of these rocks is another enemy fort. Destroy it and the remaining spear guys, then move north a bit to get rid of 3 more watch towers. That done, go back to the tower by the turtles and free them. Select them all then have them move to the south east, select them again and have them move north to the fort (otherwise they can get stuck bashing into the wall of the cove they’re in—not real bright, those turtles . . ). There could be a straggler enemy or two to the west, but they won’t matter if you stick to moving to the east, then north.

As soon as the turtles reach the fort, the level will end.

The next level is different so it will give you a bit of a break . . . then it’s onto the most hideous level, Level 7!!!!

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Sep 10, 08 7:43 PM
WOW!! Thanks for such a detailed battle plan. You really should write an unofficial manual. I think this is the toughest BFG game I have ever attempted. I can easily see where I went wrong in this level -- I definitely underestimated its difficulty -- plunged blindly down routes not even realizing I was triggering attacks with my silly Merboys and leaned too heavily on my mages. I agree that the mages die off way too easily to be much help other than with spells. Thanks especially for the hint on how to easily find the mage in a crowd since she just plunges into every fray and usually takes a major hit before I can pinpoint her in the crowd. Also, I've been trying to fight everyone at once instead of concentrating on one enemy fighter at a time so thats another great tip.

It will probably take me a while to get it right but at least I feel like I have half a chance now. I actually gave up on this game for a long time after I got my **** beat so badly every time. I'll definitely let you know how I make out but it may be a while before I beat this level (I'm printing out your instructions and pausing the game each time I need to revisit them! lol) Boy, if this level is this difficult I can't even imagine what level 7 must be like -- Thanks again for taking the time to explain everything so clearly--wish me luck, I'm going back in!

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by peutetre on Sep 10, 08 8:13 PM
You'll do fine!!!! There's just so much to the strategy of this game that it can be ridiculously frustrating. Addictive, but frustrating. I think I gave up for a few weeks before heading back into Level 7 . . . Now that you have an idea of the layout, you'll get re-addicted. Good luck!!!

[Post New]by gina33 on Mar 1, 09 12:19 AM
I know I'm a little behind time, but I actually bought this game quite some time back and just dump it aside as it requires a bit of planning and strategy.
Hope you could help me, I am stuck in Level 5 as well but I managed to rescue Braveshell and brothers but I can't upgrade my fort to advance to the next level. No matter what I do, the upgrade button would not light up.

Please help!!! cos this is getting so frustrating.

Thanks.

[Post New]by ejkatz on May 17, 09 8:32 PM
Okay, I am new to the forum and new to Deep Quest. I started this darn game yesterday and I managed to get through level 7 but I am so totally stuck on level 8 and I can't figure out where to go and what to do. No matter which way I go, I am attacked and everyone is killed. The game doesn't end because the fort is still there, though frozen. Can anyone help me, PLEASE. I just have no clues. I've played this level more times than I should have without any progress. Please HELP!!!

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by peutetre on May 21, 09 6:00 PM
One way to do it is to select all of your troops (drag mouse across the whole lot) then click on the map where the fort is to send them there. They'll drag along all of the bad guys, but you'll unlock the fort and you can get the workers to build a hamlet and trident range while you battle off the bad guys. That should give you enough time to regroup before the next onslaught.

[Post New]by littlefriends on Jul 20, 09 4:39 PM
I have been stuck on Level 7 foever. I have tried everthing are there any cheats for this game? I need help to pass this level.

Farhanul
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Farhanul on Sep 6, 09 9:41 PM
I have made it upto level 6 and now i'm stuck! Helppp! . Krakens start comming from no where and everytime i sent braveshell and titan turlte to defeat the ememy base sea imp Queens attacks them and Braveshell is dead ! Is there any Kraken base?

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by peutetre on Mar 11, 11 1:56 PM
I posted some suggestions on this level separately. Hopefully they help. I obviously don't check this forum that often so if you have a question, PM me and I'll respond and post.

I still really like this game and have yet to find another one of its genre here.

[Post New]by fishbarragio on Aug 17, 11 9:04 AM
I really get stuck on level 7. I got it once, but it turned out to be a stupid scenario! And I don't remember how to do it again! They're just too fast! And how can I concentrate on two forts at once! I created a fort in the map middle and deserted the one on the right and I did a Gladius on the left and a trident range and reef chapel on the right fort. The library tower is newly built in the new fort in the middle. I made over 50 towers and half of them are down! So, I get into trouble but won this freaky level just once! I would like to see how you do it. Its really kinda annoying to be disturbed by my brother to win that level again.

Edited on 08/17/2011 at 9:11:00 AM PST

Go to: