bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for The Seawise Chronicles: Untamed Legacy

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Aug 30, 10 12:23 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Seawise Chronicles: Untamed Legacy? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Seawise Chronicles: Untamed Legacy

[Post New]by knickknackblue on Aug 30, 10 12:28 AM
I am soooo disappointed. Had high hopes based on the description and screen shots and it turns out to be a barely passable FROG with a cursor that you ccan't turn off and drove me crazy. Wish I could be more in-depth, but That's it.

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Aug 30, 10 12:30 AM
I thought this was an HOG from the screen shots. It is not. it is a FROG. The graphics are clear and very pretty. It is that darn cursor that keeps me from buying this game. Without it, I would have loved it. But because of the cursor, it is a no buy for me.

[Post New]by bubblegumkid on Aug 30, 10 12:46 AM
i dont like it at all

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Aug 30, 10 12:57 AM
A no buy for me as well. Deleted after five minutes.

SoozUSA
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by SoozUSA on Aug 30, 10 1:00 AM
No buy for me. Ugly cursor. Dumb clues/hints/inventory/menu bar that hops up and down.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 30, 10 1:01 AM
Well I bought it sight unseen so maybe a big mistake.

Big Fish- whoever is doing the screenshots and walkthroughs for the games lately- can you please shout them a new monitor and graphics card- they are so dark you can hardly see anything - the games are bright and clear when I play them.

cll026497
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by cll026497 on Aug 30, 10 1:15 AM
I bought it and I am truly enjoying it, that is why the selection is so big, have many different tastes to please.

Thank you for always working so hard to get such a wide variety of games to us I know that it cannot be easy, you are appreciated.

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Aug 30, 10 1:17 AM
I've played about 20 mins and so far I like this game. Just want to quickly say I've no problem at all with the cursor. The hand drawn scenes are nice to look at.

jerimeri
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by jerimeri on Aug 30, 10 1:33 AM
I'm playing the 60 minute trial and have spent the better part of that hour stuck where the goat boy is. I cannot pick up anything in the water. When I click on "hints" it shows me one of the underwater items - which I cannot pick up. I'm usually really good at these games.

Catghost
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Catghost on Aug 30, 10 1:33 AM
I finished the entire hour of the trial. Like CasualGran said, it's a nice FROG...for kids. Kids with 20/20 eyesight, because my nose was pressed against my monitor and still I couldn't see the parts of the thingies I was looking for. My little girl, however, pointed them out without any problems. (And, no, she isn't up that late, she's ill and can't go to school.)

I did like the story, even though it was a little skiddish, and the hand-drawn cutscenes where nice. The puzzles are do-able (some easy, some less easy). Music: turned it off after 5 minutes. Sounds: weird (I even thought I heard elephants at some point).
Cursor: why can't it be turned off? And what is it supposed to be, anyway?

For now, a no buy for me. Maybe when it's on sale some day.

Happy gaming, all!

fstar
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by fstar on Aug 30, 10 1:34 AM
This is one of the worst games I've played in a long time. I wouldn't even purchase it as a DD. I played the entire demo and all I can say is thank goodness the hints recovered quickly because I used them almost constantly. The items were mostly impossible to see. A poorly made game all the way around. I was very dissapointed mostly because I'll never get that hour of my life back. There were way to many things going on at the same time and made for a very confusing game.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 30, 10 1:36 AM

I am feeling very lazy tonight so I wont go into the deserved details on this one.

Huge disappointment!

Great potential wasted!

I am sure that the reasons will be covered by others.

If not I will follow up tomorrow.

Word of warning...

Play the full demo before deciding to buy.

Angel

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Aug 30, 10 1:36 AM
Well, I've been playing for 40 minutes so far - keeping the last 20 mins as a reminder, because I don't want to buy anything more til 1st September.

First of all, as stated by others, this is a FROG (Fragmented Object Game). I liked the artwork, but I did find some of the fragments hard to spot (of course, that could be down to morning sunshine and morning eye cream ). Most locations are larger than the screen, and the scene scrolls sideways when you move your cursor to the edge. It scrolled a little slow for my liking, especially when you are wanting to use a completed object on something, but it was bearable.

The hint system is a bit useless though, since it will only tell you about something in the current section you're looking at. This is fine if the fragment you need is there, but otherwise it can end up telling you about something you can't even do yet.

The wording can be a little odd in places. In the Wizard's garden, when you look at a small mound of earth, it talks about the 'Hunk' looking odd???? The diary/journal is also written in a child-like font which isn't the easiest to read. I could comment on them having Hobbits in the game, which could get them a letter from the Tolkien estate, but I won't.

All said and done though, I found myself quite enjoying it. I think I may be throwing a credit at it on the 1st.

Catghost
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Catghost on Aug 30, 10 1:37 AM
jerimeri wrote:I'm playing the 60 minute trial and have spent the better part of that hour stuck where the goat boy is. I cannot pick up anything in the water. When I click on "hints" it shows me one of the underwater items - which I cannot pick up. I'm usually really good at these games.

SPOILER ALERT!!

Try the shovel on the spot in the lower left of the screen. It will dig a ditch and the water flows away.
Hope this helps!

Iksia
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by Iksia on Aug 30, 10 1:43 AM
This is the hardest HOG game I've ever played!! But it's challenging and I love the graphics, so magical and all~

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Aug 30, 10 1:50 AM
I wanted to like this game. I thought the drawn graphics were pretty. I did, however, find several of the scenes too dark to easily find items. Fortunately, the hint recharges quickly, so I could locate all of those items. I was disappointed I could not turn off their strange, rather cumbersome cursor. There was a lot of reading, and the scenes from room to room or area to area loaded a bit slow. I did not care for how the clue / tool bar worked at the bottom; nor did I care for how the bag of tools and inventory worked. I found myself wasting too much time in the demo trying to get to the clues and / or tools when I was in the other task bar. I don't think I will be purchasing this now... not sure if I will when it is on sale...

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Aug 30, 10 1:50 AM
This is the developer's first try at an HOG and they've done some interesting things. It's story driven, you collect reusable items along the way, and they've really played up the traditional fantasy elements. That's all great.

But wow! It's pretty darn rough around the edges. The controls are clunky, the inventory screen pops up continuously, the dialog can be skipped but not advanced, not all active areas light up, items are hard to click on, and niche areas accessed with the magnifying glass are nearly impossible (those last two could be my widescreen monitor),

Having 4 separate inventory bags plus an "object to find" mini-screen gets old quick. If you open one of the sub-inventory bags, you need to close it, click on the main one and close that to get back to the stuff you still need to find. Awkward.

But even with all that, I'll probably buy this one. It's very pretty, very charming and the inventory puzzles are suitably challenging. Not too many mini-games which is a shame because that would make this a definite buy. The screens scroll nicely. Hints recharge super-fast. I like the story and want to know what happens next. Plus it seems like it might be a decent length. Judging from the walkthrough, it should be about 4 hours long. After the last Haunted Hotel (2 hours, grrrr!) that would be a lovely surprise.

Basically, this game is an adorable mess. I can relate.

Edited on 08/30/2010 at 1:52:13 AM PST

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Aug 30, 10 2:03 AM
This seems to be one of Felix's rare, but complete flops. From the description, which should make it clear that it is primarily a fragmented object game, to many of the fragments which are extremely difficult to find; I don't see this being a very well-received offering. In scenes where you need to move an something to find an object you are searching for, it would be very helpful to have the cursor change to something else (like a hand) when you can move something. Also, even if you click almost every square centimeter in a scene, (Too many incorrect clicks will result in your cursor disappearing for a few seconds.) many spots need several clicks in the same spot to move the object. Most of us click something and move on if there is no reaction. The hints are unlimited, but I found it a bit frustrating to be told that "I cannot see anything useful from here. Maybe you should look more closely or complete other tasks"; or something to that effect. In a few instances, I scrolled a fraction of an inch and tried the hint again, and actually found what I had nearly gone blind trying to find. In many spots, dark objects are hidden on dark backgrounds. (Oh, what fun!) Whoever wrote the dialogue must have learned their English from "gangster" movies from the '40's and Mickey Spillane novels. Developers, please make note of the fact that most of us would like smoothly flowing, intelligible and intelligent dialogue! This game has great potential, but the developers really missed the boat. No sale here.

Edited on 08/30/2010 at 4:33:43 AM PST

marloflip
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

FROG???

[Post New]by marloflip on Aug 30, 10 2:08 AM
sorry guys, but what is a 'frog'??

Go to: