GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Insulting lack of care

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Aug 30, 10 6:58 PM
The Premium Edition of Build-a-Lot: The Elizabethan Era includes a making-of segment that brags about the care taken, and the repeated revisions necessary, to produce good visuals for the game.

Too bad that (from the evidence) they assigned making the language "Elizabethan" to some guy whose girlfriend had dragged him to a Ren Faire once--and who didn't like it!

Probably the very worst case is on the very first screen, in the Archbishop of Salisbury's "Message from Your Host": "I ... will gladly take thee under my wing to showeth thee the basics of manor building." This is exactly equivalent to "... take you under my wing to shows you the basics ..."--that is, it's a howler that no one, whether peasant, noble, or merchant, would ever utter.

Throughout, the 2nd-person-familiar verb forms are sometimes used and sometimes not, often on the same screen. E.g., Salisbury's second window has "thou will learn" rather than "thou wilt learn".

Et cetera. Pretty much every window has at least one error, and often many. (The longer, of course, the more.)

Compared to the constant butchering of the language, the mistake that only modern Zimbabwe has an Archbishop of Salisbury (Salisbury in England has and had just a Bishop) is negligible.

The visuals seem in fact to be better, but there's at least one howler there, too: One upgrade, the "Coat of Arms", isn't anything like a coat of arms. I'm also dubious that an outhouse could be considered an upgrade, especially if the alternative is an indoor garderobe, but I'm less certain about that one.

There are plenty of people available who can read and write Early Modern English, the language of Shakespeare and Elizabeth I, with fairly accurate grammar. I'm one of them. The slapdash way that words were treated in this game is an insult to all of us, and to anyone who might imagine that a good job has been done.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re:Insulting lack of care

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 16, 10 9:25 AM
After I wrote this, I discovered that a lot of other gamers had mentioned the same thing (more briefly) in the sticky reviews thread. Good for us!

Poliwird
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Poliwird on Sep 19, 10 1:14 AM
Thanks for this information My English knowledge is rather poor, whole my life i actually learn it mostly from games, and as long as for years i was only playing 'large' games (i mean, like Warcraft and Age of Empires) everything was o.k., but since i'm into casual gaming (and into the Internet, lol) i seem to 'learn' from people who know the language even worse than myself That's especially funny to play international versions of games developed in my own country, for some reason they're often horribly translated Well and sorry for this offtopic

[Post New]by bigmar300 on Mar 21, 11 2:26 PM
"all your base are belong to us"

One of the millions of broken English messages that we have come to accept from foreign game makers. It happens.

[Post New]by ghostygirl on Apr 3, 11 11:40 PM
Yes...

Bad park you!

[Post New]by kiwibill2 on Apr 14, 11 12:38 PM
wow wonderful imformation BUT i really couldn't care less i only bought the game to have fun not nitpick i'm getting enjoyment from this game and since i never lived in elizabethan times am not an english lit major don't live in england or africa couldn't care less how the words are spelt nor syntax GET A LIFE your command of triviality is absolutely amazing now that we all know you are erudite just enjoy the game and stop the bragging

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Feb 23, 12 2:50 PM
Not bragging, kid, moaning! You don't have to be an English or linguistics major, nor have lived in Elizabethan times, England, or Africa, for the constant errors to be painful.

And as I apologetically noted in my second post above, if you read the reviews in this forum, you'll find that plenty of other people agree w/ me.

Oh, and for you to spend that many lines on making your point, obviously you do care! Otherwise you wouldn't have bothered reading and writing--even with a total lack of punctuation or Initial Capitals. (Yes, they too are triviality, unless you consider that making your post easier for others to read is courtesy and therefore non-trivial.)

Gojira2006
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,183 Posts

[Post New]by Gojira2006 on Feb 23, 12 2:55 PM
Thanks for the information . . . I shall stay away from this game . . . I won't get myself to a nunnery, though . . .

[Post New]by LittleSpoo on Mar 3, 12 2:16 PM
I agree, George. It spoiled some of the fun of the game for me. I did buy it and enjoy the game, but it would have been so much cooler and funnier if they had taken the time to do it right.

The Elizabethan period stuff is part of the reason this game was created...yet it's not done well. It's like having a game about cooking where you need to bake something, but you can't get sugar or flour.

It's a shame.

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Insulting lack of care

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Jul 4, 12 9:32 PM
Not quite two years after my previous outhouse/garderobe comment:

Finally did a little Netsearching w/ Yahoo! Combining that w/ my 6-decade long memories from fiction (and occasional non-fiction), I've pretty well concluded that Europeans rarely or never went out in bad weather to use outhouses. Instead, they poured the contents of chamber pots into cesspools and had them dealt w/ like the pits below garderobes.

I believe an outhouse, in the sense of a structure over a pit toilet, is a North American thing. And maybe I'm just complimenting myself, but I'm not sure I ever thought the illo for that upgrade looked truly Elizabethan.

Go to: