muttmom
Clownfish
Clownfish
534 Posts

Collector vs Regular 6.99

[Post New]by muttmom on Aug 31, 10 9:16 AM
Do you think there is a great difference in purchasing one over the other and if so why?

popookaka
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

Re:Collector vs Regular 6.99

[Post New]by popookaka on Aug 31, 10 9:22 AM
normally there is a strategy guide included in the ce but this one does not have one. also there are usually extra game play with ce versions. i will not buy this without a strategy guide at the ce price.

[Post New]by lucky_luc on Aug 31, 10 3:01 PM
There is a "smart guide" which is a helpful hint system - I haven't been stuck yet. But it isn't a cut and dry strategy guide like others have been. It depends how much tolerance you have for that sort of thing.

I know this CE version includes a special ending not available in the regular, but I haven't made it that far, yet.

(and getting 3 punches for the price of 2 certainly helps)

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 31, 10 4:27 PM
lucky_luc wrote:There is a "smart guide" which is a helpful hint system - I haven't been stuck yet. But it isn't a cut and dry strategy guide like others have been. It depends how much tolerance you have for that sort of thing.

I know this CE version includes a special ending not available in the regular, but I haven't made it that far, yet.

(and getting 3 punches for the price of 2 certainly helps)

It says "New Quest with special ending" and I am assuming this means 'Bonus play + special ending', right? Can any one comment to clarify this?

I am always searching for comments as to whether players think the CE version's extra game play is worth the xtra $$ (yep, even at the reduced price - because you are still buying one game instead of two for the same amount of money which is a huge deal to those of us who can only afford a certain number of games per month).

ButMadNNW
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by ButMadNNW on Aug 31, 10 8:00 PM
shadowfax44 wrote:(yep, even at the reduced price - because you are still buying one game instead of two for the same amount of money which is a huge deal to those of us who can only afford a certain number of games per month).

On a similar note, I don't understand why we shouldn't be able to cash in two game credits for a CE if we have them in the bank. Usually the only money I spend on games is my monthly credit; if I haven't cashed any in for a while, why should I spend more money on a CE? I've already spent it!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 1, 10 1:15 AM
ButMadNNW wrote:
shadowfax44 wrote:(yep, even at the reduced price - because you are still buying one game instead of two for the same amount of money which is a huge deal to those of us who can only afford a certain number of games per month).

On a similar note, I don't understand why we shouldn't be able to cash in two game credits for a CE if we have them in the bank. Usually the only money I spend on games is my monthly credit; if I haven't cashed any in for a while, why should I spend more money on a CE? I've already spent it!

Hi MadNNW!

BFG staff is working on this very issue. There is a thread by BFG in the Chit Chat corner that covers this topic. They said they were hoping to have this new checkout procedure in place along with the new pricing structure, but it was not ready yet. However, later this year Phase I will be implemented allowing you to apply 2 GC credits towards the CEs. Sometime after that, Phase II will be implemented that will allow you to use your coupons (including punchcard coupons I think) or a combination of coupon + GC credit. Hang in there my friend, it is coming and I am also EAGERLY ANTICIPATING this new change

Hope this addresses your concerns in your post!!
shadowfax

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Sep 1, 10 2:16 AM
Personally I like to have to think about what to do next in a game and not to look at a walkthrough unless it is absolutely necessary, this makes a game more intriguing. The hint and guide system in Drawn: Dark Flight are just right for me.

[Post New]by chris122049 on Sep 1, 10 4:03 AM
Has anyone finished this game yet? What is extra in the Collector's Edition?
The original Drawn had a hint system...........is it the same one they had in that one?

There's an additional ending to play? Is that what is extra? How long is it?

Thanks!

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Sep 1, 10 5:12 AM
The artwork in the Concept Art section is gorgeous, and hints at rooms and ideas that didn't get implemented too. The Wallpapers are pretty good, though most of them shadowy ones, with a variety of resolutions.

The soundtrack is unfortunately a bit of a let-down. The music is there, and is wonderful to listen to, but yet again they have locked the music files into the game program itself. This means you have to have the game running to be able to use their player to listen to the music. If I get a soundtrack, it's because I want to put the tracks onto my iPod to listen to when I can't have the game running.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 1, 10 5:41 AM
If you wait and just get the 6.99 version, there will be a blog walkthrough released at that time. That's verfied by MargieB on another thread, I asked. I only bought CEs to have SGs integrated but sounds like Smart Guide is watered down to me.

I love to see the incredible artwork throughout some of these games, usually worth the price of admission, but not getting lost, stuck, wasting hours wandering in loops. I'm not that focused to be an expert adventurer. So I'll just wait on this one.

Edited on 09/01/2010 at 5:54:46 AM PST

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Sep 1, 10 6:09 AM
I am always searching for comments as to whether players think the CE version's extra game play is worth the xtra $$ (yep, even at the reduced price - because you are still buying one game instead of two for the same amount of money which is a huge deal to those of us who can only afford a certain number of games per month).

A bit of an aside, but at least $13.99 for a CE is way better than $80 for just one standard game (yep, $80 is the "normal" price for mainstream games where I live).

Thus, I happily paid the $13.99 for this, regardless of the extra contents.

Dibbydoo
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Dibbydoo on Sep 1, 10 8:08 AM
Elkestra wrote:The artwork in the Concept Art section is gorgeous, and hints at rooms and ideas that didn't get implemented too. The Wallpapers are pretty good, though most of them shadowy ones, with a variety of resolutions.

The soundtrack is unfortunately a bit of a let-down. The music is there, and is wonderful to listen to, but yet again they have locked the music files into the game program itself. This means you have to have the game running to be able to use their player to listen to the music. If I get a soundtrack, it's because I want to put the tracks onto my iPod to listen to when I can't have the game running.

I am not much for the wallpapers and concept art. I was very disappointed about the soundtrack. All the other collector's editions allowed you to save the soundtrack. I feel cheated after purchasing this game.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 2, 10 5:01 AM
bansama wrote:

A bit of an aside, but at least $13.99 for a CE is way better than $80 for just one standard game (yep, $80 is the "normal" price for mainstream games where I live).

Thus, I happily paid the $13.99 for this, regardless of the extra contents.

WHAT????? Where do you live??

shadowfax {stunned}

NaomiGrace
Flounder
Flounder
2,220 Posts

[Post New]by NaomiGrace on Sep 2, 10 8:19 AM
I remember shopping MANY years ago for games for my son's Nintendo etc. and the games were always $50 to $80!!!! And you can go to other sights,not to mention any names, but one in particular ahem named after an old-time-jumping=up=and=down=on=stick and pay $19.99 for all the games like Agatha Christie etc. or $6 for each "level" of a game. Personally, I am THRILLED to find BFG and $13.99 is cheaper than a movie for two and lasst a LOT longer and you can play it over and over.

Now if I could just get those flying books................................

Edited on 09/02/2010 at 8:21:42 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 2, 10 12:19 PM
NaomiGrace wrote:I remember shopping MANY years ago for games for my son's Nintendo etc. and the games were always $50 to $80!!!! And you can go to other sights,not to mention any names, but one in particular ahem named after an old-time-jumping=up=and=down=on=stick and pay $19.99 for all the games like Agatha Christie etc. or $6 for each "level" of a game. Personally, I am THRILLED to find BFG and $13.99 is cheaper than a movie for two and lasst a LOT longer and you can play it over and over.

Now if I could just get those flying books................................

I don't think 13.99 is too much if the extra gameplay is 1 1/2 or 2 hours worth - that would be the only reason I buy a CE - I don't use strategy guides or care about wallpaper or screensavers, etc.. so there would have to be enough extra gameplay and a game I really like to entice me into buying one game for the same price I can buy two. I am limited to how many games I can afford to purchase in a month - so that is what is important to me personally.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Sep 2, 10 12:44 PM
The bonus level is the best one I've seen in a CE. It was very difficult, but very well done and it answered a question (that was close to my heart) that I had at the end of the regular game. Can't tell you exactly how long it was as I was so involved I forgot to take note of the time, but I believe it was lengthy enough to be worth it.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Sep 4, 10 10:09 AM
As others have said:
1. Integrated Smart Guide, which SE won't have AFAIK, is a definite bonus. You don't need to leave game to get hint, nudge or picture of puzzle solution, which makes for a less frustrating & seamless gaming experience.

2. Bonus quest level per nwl43:
[It's] the best one I've seen in a CE. It was very difficult, but very well done and it answered a question (that was close to my heart) that I had at the end of the regular game.
Agree & it adds about another hour+ if you don't use the Guide.

3. Game is long. It took me 7+ hours 1st time through, used Smart Guide only a few times, but had to skip one beacon puzzle that was IMHO incredibly hard (gave up after 45 min of trying ).

4. CE's concept art, wallpapers & Achievements give good value-added.

5. Music bonus per Elkestra:
The soundtrack is unfortunately a bit of a let-down. The music is there, and is wonderful to listen to, but yet again they have locked the music files into the game program itself. This means you have to have the game running to be able to use their player to listen to the music.
I, too, wish we could put the tracks on iPod because the music is fantastic!

Overall, game's length, stunning production qualities & bonus content far surpass the $13.99 price tag, as many have said. Paying $6.99 more for the CE was no trouble, especially to help support BFG... so they can give us Drawn 3!

Edited on 09/04/2010 at 10:15:24 AM PST

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Sep 4, 10 10:35 AM
I just ought to note that in the 'Soundtrack' thread, a fishie has described a way to get access to the music files. It may not be for everyone, but there is a workaround to listen to them outside of the game's own Player.

BigGameFish
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by BigGameFish on Dec 30, 10 3:11 PM
so what exactly is the alternate ending?. I don't think that buying the CE for the same game play every time is worth it. I like the HOG where the items change position, color etc., every time. I know that no one wants to spill the beans about the alt. ending on the public forum so use the private messaging between forum names and PM like a summary of it.

THANK YOU

Go to: