MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

Using/ Accessing the Built-in Smart Guide (Strategy Guide)

[Post New]by MargieB on Aug 31, 10 10:02 AM
Hello Fishies,

Just wanted to post some instructions on using the built-in Smart Guide in the game.

The strategy guide is built into the game, it's just not formatted as a regular strategy guide would be.

The smart guide which can be accessed by clicking on the HINT button in the lower right corner knows exactly what you need next in order to advance in the game.

Look at the image shown and pick up the item or do the task it is showing you. In many ways the smart guide is easy to use since you don't have to flip through a guide until you find the area you need help with.It also gives you puzzle solutions.

I made a video guide showing how to use the Smart Guide, which I posted on the Big Fish Games Official Youtube Channel.Copy and paste the link below to access the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIAAMbZi0ac

If you have any questions please let us know.

Thanks,

MargieB

Edited on 08/31/2010 at 12:23:40 PM PST

marteaf
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

Re:Using/ Accessing the Built-in Smart Guide (Strategy Guide)

[Post New]by marteaf on Aug 31, 10 1:14 PM
Hi,
I'm currently playing this game, and it might seem like my hint-function is bugged. I'm at the library (inside it) and I'm stuck, so I pressed to hint-button, but it keeps showing me the Pirate-picture.
Tried restarting the game, but it still appears.
Also seems like the "advice"-function is not working properly. It is also stuck on the pirate-"mission".
Am I doing something wrong, or is this a familiar bug?

Screenshot: [removed by moderator]

Thanks in Advance!

Edited on 08/31/2010 at 4:05:00 PM PST

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Aug 31, 10 1:27 PM
It's not a bug. The pirate painting is a puzzle. Cut away the green bushes and then you should be able to figure out the rest!

Have fun!

Edited on 08/31/2010 at 1:30:38 PM PST

marteaf
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by marteaf on Aug 31, 10 3:48 PM
swedane wrote:It's not a bug. The pirate painting is a puzzle. Cut away the green bushes and then you should be able to figure out the rest!

Have fun!

Hi again!
I'm way past the pirate-painting, cut away the bushes, got the love-letter, gave it to the statue, and so on
Somehow it's still stuck on that puzzle :\

mommytrae
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by mommytrae on Aug 31, 10 3:59 PM
marteaf congrats for getting into the library because im stuck at the town have tried hints but still cant get what to do next.can u help me dont know what to hang at shop window that talks!

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Aug 31, 10 4:02 PM
mommytrae wrote:marteaf congrats for getting into the library because im stuck at the town have tried hints but still cant get what to do next.can u help me dont know what to hang at shop window that talks!

From the window, click down twice and go forward.

Take the red cloth in the upper left and the blue light (lantern) in the upper right.

Return to the window and hang the blue light on the hook in the upper right corner.

Good Luck

MargieB

Edited on 08/31/2010 at 4:02:35 PM PST

[Post New]by wlbarbour on Aug 31, 10 4:47 PM
I found the rope and got to the second room. I know I am not completely dumb , but when I click on the hint it shows me a room with lions in it. I don't even have a brush to paint a picture with. How to I get started?

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

Using/ Accessing the Built-in Smart Guide (Strategy Guide)

[Post New]by shorenuf on Aug 31, 10 4:52 PM
MargieB wrote:Hello Fishies,

Just wanted to post some instructions on using the built-in Smart Guide in the game.

The strategy guide is built into the game, it's just not formatted as a regular strategy guide would be.

The smart guide which can be accessed by clicking on the HINT button in the lower right corner knows exactly what you need next in order to advance in the game.

Look at the image shown and pick up the item or do the task it is showing you. In many ways the smart guide is easy to use since you don't have to flip through a guide until you find the area you need help with.It also gives you puzzle solutions.

It is confusing because the illustration in the HELP section within the game shows MENU, HELP, GUIDE in the lower right corner and says to hit the guide button.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Aug 31, 10 4:55 PM
wlbarbour wrote:I found the rope and got to the second room. I know I am not completely dumb , but when I click on the hint it shows me a room with lions in it. I don't even have a brush to paint a picture with. How to I get started?

Little spoiler

Go back down the rope. You will see the lions.

Edited on 08/31/2010 at 4:57:13 PM PST

[Post New]by canadianangel1 on Aug 31, 10 7:19 PM
Ok, so I'm in the town where the shadows are, I got the red ribbon but there is NO blue light...what do I do?

kintu
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by kintu on Aug 31, 10 8:37 PM
i can't seem to find all the notes, and the hint strategy thing is just showing the puzzle, not where the note is

[Post New]by carroll1310 on Aug 31, 10 8:45 PM
I am stuck where Lily is in the "paper castle" she is to shoot flames at the castle, i have tried hitting everywhere on the castle and nothing happens. I have clicked hint and it shows the flames hitting the castle...HELP>>>

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Aug 31, 10 10:53 PM
I hope someone at BFG is currently working on an updated version of this game that actually includes a strategy guide. Because the "smart guide" is just insulting. And I'm definitely not blaming Margie. Her walkthroughs are great. But she shouldn't have to babysit this forum day and night just because BFG failed to provide either a strategy guide or a walkthrough for those willing to pay extra for the Collector's Edition. Thank you for letting me voice my opinion. Margie, you're wonderful. Keep up the good work!!!

AeronAoife
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by AeronAoife on Sep 1, 10 1:06 AM
I found the hint system very helpful. They gave me enough information to keep going and more when I needed it.

AeronAoife
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by AeronAoife on Sep 1, 10 1:46 AM
Well, except when I was trying to find the tomb again.

marteaf
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by marteaf on Sep 1, 10 3:38 AM
I found the hint-system helpfull, untill it stopped working. Now I'm totally stuck, sigh.

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Sep 1, 10 4:00 AM
I really find the Strategy Guide pretty much useless because it is only helpful minimally.

I am stuck after finishing the garden painting and the popup book and then I was into level 3 with the toad picture. I don't know if I backed out or was taken out but now I can't get back to level 3 and I'll be damned if I am going to spend another 4 hours replaying to get back again. So if someone could please help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Sep 1, 10 10:22 AM
Was stuck for ages on book puzzles outside Library, made fatal error of selecting left-column puzzle 1st, then spent much time trying every combination to no success. Smart Guide useless since picture it shows is not applicable to puzzle book I was jammed up over.

Finally came to forums & got helped by tuttlepeever.

I definitely prefer the new Smart Guide system as it works in Drawn 2 in tandem with Franklin's Advice.

Think it's a sophisticated help system that enhances gaming fun & immersion, especially for players who adore a challenge but don't want to be stuck for too darn long. The little hints & nudges are immediately available if you want them, no need to exit to check traditional-type walkthrough, & no risk of seeing other solutions by accident when doing so.

But ... immersion / fun-factor benefits of Smart Guide/Franklin Advice implementation are destroyed when the Guide either is not "smart" or the player is too dense to understand its hint!

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Sep 1, 10 12:51 PM
SolarEclipse wrote:I hope someone at BFG is currently working on an updated version of this game that actually includes a strategy guide. Because the "smart guide" is just insulting. And I'm definitely not blaming Margie. Her walkthroughs are great. But she shouldn't have to babysit this forum day and night just because BFG failed to provide either a strategy guide or a walkthrough for those willing to pay extra for the Collector's Edition. Thank you for letting me voice my opinion. Margie, you're wonderful. Keep up the good work!!!

Exactly right

[Post New]by truckingirl on Sep 1, 10 1:32 PM
tuttepeever wrote:I really find the Strategy Guide pretty much useless because it is only helpful minimally.

I am stuck after finishing the garden painting and the popup book and then I was into level 3 with the toad picture. I don't know if I backed out or was taken out but now I can't get back to level 3 and I'll be damned if I am going to spend another 4 hours replaying to get back again. So if someone could please help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Same thing here. Got back to pop up book in library but can not get down the staircase to go back to go back to the level I was on.

Go to: