gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Ice Blast - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 1, 10 12:30 AM
Post 'em if ya got 'em... Never seen this game before...

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

Re: Ice Blast - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 1, 10 3:55 AM
Hadn't noticed it before either. It looks interesting with the 3 team members having different powers/abilities. Upgrades are possible in different ways: via their weapons (Shop) and reducing their resting time (Dojo). A useful feature is to switch between the 3 by using the keys a, s, d on the keyboard, which are conveniently close together. Also, there's definitely strategy needed for the chain and combo bonusses!
Too challenging for me all in all, but definitely not the usual serve-this-and-that to little people losing their little hearts too fast.

Edited on 09/02/2010 at 12:15:33 AM PST

ggxgp
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ggxgp on Sep 1, 10 6:44 AM
Undecided on this one. Waiting to read more reviews before trying the demo.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 1, 10 8:20 AM
Played 20 minutes of the demo and plan to buy it. This game won't win any beauty prizes, but it looks like an interesting timed puzzle game.

Each of your 3 characters removes ice shards in a different way, so you select the plays you want to make by selecting the corresponding characters. Each character needs time to recharge after each move.

You have to remove all the ice shards in a given time (- I don't know if number of moves plays a part or not).

Chains of total removals count extra, and breaking one crystal breaks adjacent shards as well.

Edited on 09/01/2010 at 2:03:09 PM PST

[Post New]by TheMastercat on Sep 1, 10 5:11 PM
Do not care for games that want to write directly to my hard drive. That can be dangerous. I'll pass on this one.

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Sep 1, 10 6:50 PM
I've played for a few minutes and it is definitely a strategy game. I was able to set up a sequence of 18 chains on an early level. It gets harder with the multiple shards.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Sep 1, 10 6:56 PM
Not one for me.

I have played this before and I could not really remember that much about it so I downloaded the trial, and now I see why I forgot about this one.

This game I find very tedious and not something I would enjoy playing.

There are some good features like having the three different characters however that is not enough for me to want to buy it.

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Sep 1, 10 10:16 PM
I've been having a great time. I have played for at least a couple of hours. I've gotten through Malaysia and Africa and now am working on Japan. I am finding there is a lot of strategy in the use of the three girls. I try to set up a chian of singleton for the first girl to demolish. I've had to replay some of the levels several times before I got through them. The mission levels at the end of a country or continent are difficult (for me, anyway). I got confused between the combo and chain, so had to redo my strategy. I've been upgrading the training before the equipment and it turns out that training is required before some of the equipment can be purchased. I'm going to have to get faster on assigning the girls as they are recovering faster now with the training.

IceLore
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by IceLore on Sep 1, 10 11:58 PM
One of the few games that have been featured that actually require STRATEGY. This game definitely is not for those people who like to just repeat the same things over an over, you will need to think ahead, execute quickly, and make plans to succeed in this game.

It may not be the most beautiful game out there, but I'm sold!

Again, if you are all about the 'click and serve' or speed clicking games, this isn't got you. If you ant to think, definitely give this one a try though!

I wish I would have saved the money I spent on that Zellians game a few days ago for this instead! Far superior in terms of using my brain for sure.

Edited on 09/02/2010 at 12:01:05 AM PST

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Sep 2, 10 4:20 PM
Well the graphics are older; however, that doesn't mean bad. Just older. The strategy part of the game is fun, though very challenging. Having 3 team members is different as is breaking ice. Each team member has upgrades in the dojo and the shop. I enjoyed it for about 45 minutes and then I just got tired of it.

I would say it's a B. It's not going to knock my socks off, but all in all it's an interesting game.

[Post New]by callanetics on Feb 21, 12 3:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this game impossible?

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Apr 6, 13 2:47 PM
I very much liked Zellians, and find this one simultaneously uninteresting and difficult.

Obviously, tastes vary!

Go to: