bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Escape from Frankenstein's Castle

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 2, 10 12:33 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Escape from Frankenstein's Castle? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Escape from Frankenstein's Castle

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 2, 10 2:08 AM
25 five minutes of the demo and I just couldn't find the blueprints and was stuck with a load of coathangers....Did find the locket and the bowlerhat, dusted the books, but I'm stuck ! Takes a while when you move from on room to the other, when you ask for help you're just shown what you already have or know. Didn't turn the music on (as usual). Could be a nice game or may be it's just that I'm not clever enough. Waiting for others comments to get a definite opinion..........

[Post New]by Puda_K on Sep 2, 10 2:12 AM
Hi! Gotta click on "memories" to go further along.

Catghost
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Catghost on Sep 2, 10 2:18 AM
Wow, I get to be the first to review. Nice.

Well, here goes. I played the full hour of demotime and must admit I like the story.
The artwork in the cutscenes is cartoonish, but not bad. The game itself has nice and clear graphs, items can be located easily. At first it looks like you have to randomly click everywhere in the scene, but that is not the case. If you click on the objective in your taskbook (left) it shows you what you need, but, mind you, not always. This game askes a lot of thinking for yourself and I do like that a lot.
No penalty for random clicking, obviously . Hintsystem could be a bit more clear, but as I said, the game askes for thinking, so I didn't mind. Found my way around anyway.

What I didn't like is the endless loading between scenes. I couldn't move from one scene to another without the game having to load. That deserved some more attention in developping the game. Custom cursor was sluggish, but I didn't check if it could be turned off .

Recap: this is an adventuregame (not a HOG or even an iHOG) and I think it's nice enough to spend a credit on as soon as I get my mail from BFG with my punchcardcredits. (It's September 2nd. Come on, peeps!).

Happy gaming!

EDIT: While I was typing, two fishies got ahead of me, so ignore the comment of me being the first.

Edited on 09/02/2010 at 2:19:41 AM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Sep 2, 10 2:19 AM
This game could have been a great game. But when you spend all of your time going back and forth to the walkthrough, what's the point. It's a no buy for me.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Sep 2, 10 2:34 AM
I like this game!! In a lot of the adventure/large file games (like Isabella) I end up wandering around aimlessly trying to figure out what to do. I find that frustrating and lose interest immediately! And I refuse to back out of a game,go to the walk-thru,read exactly what to do,and then return to the game and follow directions like a good little boy! Where's the fun in that? They have incorporated an "on board" walk-thru (kind of) in the form of the ghost woman thingee in the lower right hand corner of the screen.I find this ingenious! I can look around a little bit but if I'm stumped just click on her and she drops hints. It's really nice because she doesn't tell you what to do all at once.She nudges you in the right direction. I like the cartoon type graphics. The scenes load fast on my PC and you can skip the dialogue/story so I don't have an issue with that. It is not the greatest story line but it's not bad. All in all I think it's a pretty good game. I give it 4 x
Dr.good

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Sep 2, 10 2:36 AM
I beta tested this game and the constant loading between scenes was one of my main gripes about (what could have been) a nice game. As it was, I encountered a glitch and couldn't play it to the end - but if they haven't fixed the 'interminable loading' problem, I won't be giving it another shot.
Jo

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Sep 2, 10 2:37 AM
This is the most annoying game from Big Fish it keeps loading, I found the locket you have to collect all the marbles you can go right in the first of the scene check the wardrobe and the drawer collect all 9 put them in the box lid and you get the key, go back andf open the box and get the locket. This is where it got annoying it told me go to the library it would not let me go, until I went in to Isabellas memory, nowhere did I see hints available. I have not the energy and time to play cat and mouse with this games I have bought plenty of good ones this one 2/10 and that is being generous Definitely not a but for me even the graphics are not good, like a cartoon, why so much loading all the time I do not know. Please try before you buy

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by firebird40 on Sep 2, 10 4:07 AM
Played the demo for the entire hour, and reached the point of looking for the secret passage into the lab. Not sure how long a game this is, based on that. Seems like it might be fairly short.

Pros:

mildly interesting story line, and graphics fairly clear and bright enough to find what you are looking for. Navigating through rooms is also fairly easy. No penalties for clicking, since this is an adventure game and you have to click on lots of things to figure out what you need-

Cons:

Although it loads quickly on my pc, I got seriously tired of the game loading between every scene/room. It should be a smooth transition and it isn't. Since this issue came up in the beta testing I am not sure why they didn't fix it.

Not a lot of information- this plays more like a large-file adventure game, which I enjoy, but if you don't, this game may seem frustrating. You don't have cursor changes, sparkles or hints, although the ghost woman can help nudge you in the right direction. You do have a task list, which is a lot of help, and you can click on the task to get more info-

The card game/mini game is not bad, although there are no instructions at all, so if you've never played it, you have to just guess how you should be playing.

i've seen better games from Playfirst, and that's too bad, because this one could have been a really great game. It just falls short, overall.

I'd give it a 2.5 or 3 out of 5. Might be a good DD buy.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 2, 10 4:10 AM
I am trying to break into the world of Adventure games but haven't been too successful. I think this would have been a good one to "practice" on as it seemed to be at a good "beginner's level" - meaning, I was able to advance right along in the game with no problems and no hints. I was 35 minutes into the demo (in the kitchen to make a sandwich) but I was already so bored, having spent about 35% of my demo time waiting for screens to load (and they load... and load... when you simply go to another room and then return to previous room!) that I gave it up. It's too bad too, as I say, I think this would have been a good game for me to get the feel of this type of game. I wasn't overly impressed with the graphics, but they weren't horrible - and I did not like the fact that once you had an inventory item you couldn't cursor over the item for identification (for instance, I had collected a "power cell" and wasn't even sure what it was I had collected). I don't mean to sound so negative - maybe I am just impatient, but I just got so annoyed waiting around for the screens/scenes to load....

CasualGran: About that lame card game, I agree.... and I was relieved that I won the first round and didn't have to play a second game with that goofball.... LOL

shadowfax

p.s. Firebird40 - When I got to that card game, I just clicked on my character and then "what's his name" told her how to play the card game in the dialog. One of the few dialogs I didn't skip through by the way...

Edited on 09/02/2010 at 4:16:27 AM PST

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Sep 2, 10 4:16 AM
Nyet

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Sep 2, 10 4:20 AM
I quite like this game. I'm stuck looking for bit of yellow plate no 5 though. And that was just as demo ran out.
Hate the constant loading, even when returning to a room you've just come from.
I will buy it as it is a bit different from the usual iHOG/HOG/adventure game. But can see me using the walkthrough just to stop the need to search and search again the same rooms.
Purchase depends on game length, not looked at that yet.
After 'Drawn' many games look amateurish...:-)

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Sep 2, 10 4:20 AM
this game stinks. very annoying.

Puglet
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Puglet on Sep 2, 10 4:21 AM
Thanks for the reviews. I'm not even going to demo it because of the loading issues. I hate having to wait. Keep the reviews coming. I all ways read them before I do anything else.

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Sep 2, 10 4:44 AM
I like the game and the loading between scenes doesn't bother me overly much. The music becomes monotonous but I've heard worse. Nice to see a regular adventure game for sale.
Thanks BFG

[Post New]by jacquieguess on Sep 2, 10 4:46 AM
I agree witheveryone else, whilst the storylline is good, the constant loading between scenes is an absolurte turnoff and I found myself gettin really bored and fed up. It may be a good game but I won't be buying it until they sort out the loading issue. If you could just click on the map to move rooms it would be better. Also the 'hint' facility is not really clear.

Overall not brilliant - sorry guys

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Sep 2, 10 5:37 AM

I like it!

I have seen this happen before. We see a game listed as a certain genre [ie: HOG], and when it isn't that, we don't like whatever it is. Where as if it had been listed as a 'Puzzle/Adventure' game the HOG expectation would not have been there and we would have been more open to something different.

That being said, that doesn't excuse the long loading wait for EVERY scene change.

Fortunately for me the wait is minimal and (mostly) tolerable.

There is no hand holding in this game.

I like the 'mystery' of it. The seeking to find aspect that goes beyond just the 'objects'.

The main character's self talk often cracked me up! Often saying things that I was thinking LOL. Rather than the typical.. "oh, look, I found a shovel, I wonder what that is for?"

Different strokes! Don't you love it?!

Angel

Ember66
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Ember66 on Sep 2, 10 6:23 AM
i think this game has great potential.
i played the demo and enjoyed the graphics, music, storyline and puzzles.
the puzzles themselves were not too easy, not too challenging and made me think.
what i did not like was the irritating "loading" screen every time i had to go to another room and seeing as it's one of those games were you have to go back and forth, they did prove very frustrating.
this game wont be a purchase for me at the moment, perhaps i'll buy it on a daily deal in the future.
a game for the children perhaps?

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Sep 2, 10 6:49 AM
First of all, it is not a HOG or IHOG, at least I found no such areas while playing the demo. It is a linear adventure, you cannot leave the areas until you complete the tasks given. The tasks seem forthright and easy to figure out. The hints will show you what you need, not where to look. There is very little handholding. The story can be advanced to speed things up. The screen loading was not an issue on my computer. The graphics are clear. I've played other adventures that I liked better. I don't know, I guess it is a matter of taste but this is not for me. Nothing bad about it, just didn't grab me.

[Post New]by Laydeenines on Sep 2, 10 7:10 AM
I liked this game, but was not worth money. I played the hour demo, then purchased it. I am done with game took less than 3 hours. I am a bit upset

Go to: