gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Re:The Blackwell Convergence as DD comments and reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 3, 10 3:28 AM
I got stuck by the end of the demo hour, and did a lot of walking in circles even before that. Took me forever to deal with the first scene. I didn't see a hint button... maybe it was on the interface and I forgot? or maybe there isn't one....?

I was doing ok with the pixellated graphics, just wasn't having fun trying to move forward in the game.

Nice to have voiced dialogue. Voice acting seemed fine.

Probably a no buy for me, unless there's some postitive reviews... (- I haven't checked the rest of this game forum yet.)

divegal
Minnow
Minnow
246 Posts

[Post New]by divegal on Sep 3, 10 3:48 AM
I loved this game despite the...nostalgic graphics. Same great main characters and snarky humor as the rest of the series,fine gameplay, if you like offbeat adventure games this is a great deal!

p.s. Walkthroughs available, no need to get stuck

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 3, 10 4:23 AM
Wow - are the graphics really as bad as those screenshots depict? I would love to know and save myself and my poor old PC the grief of a download if this is the case.

Thanks...

annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

[Post New]by annatar on Sep 3, 10 5:31 AM
This is one of three games in the Blackwell series. I accidentally stumbled over the first one and loved it so much that I had to get all three and play them in succession. Awesome! Simply awesome!

These games are a few years old, and in the style of the great adventure games of the past, like the King's Quest series, the Monkey Island series, the Ultima series, etc. The somewhat pixellated graphics simply enhance that likeness, and suits the games just great. So if you liked the REAL adventure games of the past, you will LOVE the Blackwell games - and BigFish has all three of them. If you don't know this kind of games, give it a try. And remember, it's MEANT to have that vintage appearance! (And you'll find walkthroughs for all three of them in walkthru blog section.)

As all adventure games, this is a story driven game where dialogue and dialogue choices when talking to people plays a big part - you need to go back and talk to people again when new dialogue topics pop up, to see if they can shed more light on the subject you're investigating. You will also get/find items that will need to be used later - like keys or photos etc. Often these are meant to show in conversations to bring up new topics. The banter between the girl and her ghostly guardian/helper is amusing and fun, and there's a great deal of humour in this game.

This is a gem for a DD deal!!

Edited on 09/03/2010 at 5:31:29 AM PST

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Sep 3, 10 7:18 AM
Excellent in-depth review / comments by annatar (above)!
Awesome! Simply awesome!

By same developer as Emerald City Confidential & Puzzle Bots, graphics are meant to be vintage-looking as Blackwell series aims to take us back to the "true" adventure point & click experience.

Well-designed, funny, story-driven -- the dialogue & choices during conversations with people are essential to making progress. Voice-acting is top quality!

Not to be played in a few hours, these games are a treat if you like "thinking". Built on the "the story is the game" model, player choices & actions advance the clever plot, making for an unforgettable adventure experience.

One of the best series ever... I agree 100%...
This is a gem for a DD deal !

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 3, 10 4:10 PM
Okay, so I bought it, and I've been playing it for several hours now. I'm just now stuck for the second time, and the walkthru seems to cover the territory ok.

For me, this game so far is pretty slow and tedious, but I'm thinking that might improve as I get better at playing it.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Sep 5, 10 12:49 AM
I ended up buying this on DD because the story is interesting. But it's annoying that the graphics are so pixelated. There's no reason for it... "nostalgia" doesn't cut it because I LOVED games like this back in the day and although they were the same pixel drawings (which I also LOVE) they were not pixelated like this. Some things are hard to read and many things are just a mess of squares. Put it this way... picture Rosa as shown in the walkthru screenshots but quadruple her size and blur her image the way they do when they are disguising someone's face and that is how the whole game is.

Bottom line is if you're going ot make a game that is best shown at a specific resolution and screen size then PROGRAM THAT IN. The screenshots in the walkthru are fine... so if we could simply play at that size life would be great and a lot of the graphics compaints would "poof" as people were able to see what something was. I get the indie game concept as well... but... still poor programming and it's a shame because the game seems to be great otherwise.

Just my opinion of course and I still bought the game... it's just not as enjoyable and nostalgic as it could be.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Sep 6, 10 10:50 AM
@ gamergirl675
I'm with you per disappointment over the pixlated graphics! As the games are programmed for 640 x 480 display, I play in windowed mode.
by dvdiva on Feb 4, 10 4:04 PM
The Blackwell series is meant to be viewed on a 640 x 480 screen.The artwork was designed in a pixelated, low-res style. If you have a large monitor, it's better to play it in a window. Follow these steps to change it to windowed mode:

1. After installing, go to the desktop.

2. Right-click on the Blackwell Legacy icon. Select "Open file location" to go to the program folder.

3. Find the program called "winsetup.exe" and run it.

4. Select the checkbox that says "Run in a window instead of full-screen".

5. Don't change any other options. Click Save, then exit.

6. Blackwell Legacy will now run in window mode next time you launch it.

Still, it's a terrific adventure series... unique, relaxed pace, clever characters, excellent voice acting & no hogs!

Go to: