Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

Annoyed to have to download the game twice...

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Sep 3, 10 7:41 PM
Was anyone else annoyed because they had to re-download the game after playing the demo???? Since this is a large file game-- I find it a bit irksome that I have to spend another 40 minutes waiting for the game to download. I was getting into the story and hate the interruption.... I do not think that I should have download twice. Why was it done this way???

Sorry to gripe-- but the demo ended after only about 45 minutes. I spent more time downloading than playing.

Edited on 09/03/2010 at 7:42:25 PM PST

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

Re:Annoyed to have to download the game twice...

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Sep 3, 10 7:45 PM
The demos for these large file games are only a certain portion of the game. The developers estimate what it will take the average person an hour to do and they cut the demo off there (or at another logical point in the game). for some people this sample will take less than an hour and for some it will take more; that's why yours only lasted 45 minutes.

You had to re-download because the demo you played wasn't the entire game..it was only a portion of it and you had to download the rest of the game.

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Sep 4, 10 4:59 AM
Hello and thank you for your response..... I understand how it works-- I guess that I am attempting to provide feedback. I have played lots of games on BF and none of them have worked this way-- but I seldom demo Large File games (I just read the reviews and assume that the game is not slapped together like most HOGs are these days). I would rather download everything and then decide whether or not I want to purchase it. That way, the narrative/aesthetic experience of the game is not interrupted.

As it is, the game never installed and so I feel that I have to either stop playing completely or start over from the beginning at a later time. On a more positive note, if I were not enjoying the game, than I would not be annoyed by the download or by the fact that the story is interrupted. I seldom get to buy the CEs (or any other game for that matter) anymore, but have been waiting for this one since last year. I am happy that I am not disappointed in it and that at least artistically it measures up to the last.

Also, regardless of how I feel about the download, I do think that BF has the right to protect their product. In reading some of the other streams in the forum-- I have come to the conclusion that this is why things were done this way. I don't like it-- but I can see the point of it.

-Kala

Edited on 09/04/2010 at 5:00:56 AM PST

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Sep 4, 10 5:13 AM
Basically, because of the size of the full game, if they had the full version as the demo, it would kill their bandwidth (and additional bandwidth costs).

So they have a choice, cut-down demos which we can try out, and if we buy, we re-download the full version.... or no demos at all for these larger games.

Given the moans heard whenever an older large file game is released (which doesn't have a demo), I think they've chosen the better option.

Go to: