[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 4, 10 2:23 AM
Post 'em if ya got 'em...

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:Mystery Age: The Imperial Staff - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 4, 10 3:12 AM
Well just comments really. Trying to decide between a DD or a discount sale game, or heck, I got free codes to not spend anything. I just spent an hour reading through most the reviews here, realized it is a frog which I don't buy anymore on small screen. BUT read that they are big fragments, that's a plus. And the graphics look incredible on the buy page. The title sounded familiar but the game video looked new to me. Just before I hit buy with promo DD price I happened to stop and check my History. I already bought it a year ago LOL. Didn't remember playing it at all. Talk about replay value I just saved 3 bucks and can play it free on my own computer.

Lots of rave reviews tho, most all favorable and the stumpers did get a walkthrough after they posted HELP STUCK threads. Watch out for that hungry camel though, that DID ring a bell so there's tips in threads, evidently a picky pixel where you click. I thought that was in that awful Egyptian game a few months ago nobody could play.

Of course, being a year old, the game by now may be too easy for those who have evolved to Drawn 1 & 2. Well, guess I'll just reinstall on my new laptop, no wonder it wasn't on that one, must have been on the one that fried. If I didn't remember playing it I'm sure I won't remember where anything is LOL. Ahhhh old age.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 4, 10 3:24 AM
I bought and played it when it came out and loved it - very colourful and all in all an enjoyable gameplay.

The review thread contains indeed a LOT of pro comments; the only complaint afterwards seems to be that it was too short (and that could be compensated by the DD price), and probably not much replay value. Someone mentioned it is by the same developers as "Shaolin Mystery: Tale of the Jade Dragon Staff", which got very good reviews, too, so if you liked that have a look at this one.

Might be too easy for some, but I remember it as relaxing and pleasant - one of those games where you catch yourself smiling in between at beautiful scenes. Yes, a FROG, at least partially, and find 10 of this and that, and use this item somewhere else. If you don't mind this kind of gameplay, definitely give the demo a try.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Sep 4, 10 7:19 AM
I would like to buy this but can't find the code anywhere for the DD. My BFG toolbar has disappeared and I haven't been able to reinstall it. Code anyone?

[Post New]by FloridaGirl7264 on Sep 4, 10 7:37 AM
You don't need a code anymore. If you're a member, it automatically is adjusted on the checkout page.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Sep 4, 10 8:00 AM
Ah, good to know. Just wish my toolbar would work. TY

maxminpin
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by maxminpin on Sep 4, 10 10:56 AM
Please tell me what a frog means? Thanks for any one that does reply.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 4, 10 11:02 AM
Fragmented object game. If you look at the screenshots of the game on the Download page, you'll see that there are no word lists, but pictures of the quest items. They are distributed throughout the scene and you have to find them. The little numbers under the quest items tell you how many you have to find; a good example with 1 left can be seen in the 3rd screenshot. Usually the collected items are to be used somewhere then.
If you don't know this kind of game yet, I definitely recommend trying this game, it's sooo beautiful.

Edited on 09/04/2010 at 11:04:25 AM PST

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Sep 4, 10 12:16 PM
It's pretty, and worth the DD price. It's pretty easy so I don't think I would buy it at the regular price. I also cringed at the chameleon. Oh well. I just played the demo. Nice and relaxing, just hard enough to be interesting. Didn't have to turn off the sound, although where was the pigeon in that one scene? The bird looked like a canary but something was cooing, That's when the demo ended, so maybe I missed it. (Sorry, past training makes me notice things) If playing the demo, you can skip the transitional scenes. They are pretty, but not at all necessary to the game as far as I could tell. I used hints because I'm a slow player and wanted to get as far as possible, but they were only necessary a few times. You click on hidden eyes (occasionally placed rather creepy) to make your hint button refill quickly.

If I wasn't buying other games this month, I would definately buy this one for a kick back and relax. Yes, it is a FROG, but that was easy. And you get to see cute animals (watch for the bunny) and the drawing is nice.

So far as I got, I would say it was fairly kid friendly. I hear it's short, but then for the DD price, who cares? Not a "great" game, but a pleasant one. I'd replay it just because the theme and artwork is nice enough to make it enjoyable even after you know the plot.

Thanks DD for explaining what a FROG is. I never figured it out until today, and it was nice to have it confirmed.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 4, 10 12:49 PM
Welcome, glad I could be of help, M'Lady

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread for a moment - if you're interested, there's a BFG page about "Game Speak and Acronyms in Gaming" here:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/40/33367.page

and an "Updated Common Abbreviations" thread in Chit Chat Corner (CCC) here:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/40/33367.page
with some of these 'game types' on page 3.

Happy gaming, everyone!

Doggy_lover
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by Doggy_lover on Sep 4, 10 2:32 PM
What a great DD! I'm a big fan of FROG games, and I wasn't even aware of this one. The graphics are pretty. This game is quite similar to the Magic Encyclopedia games. A bit on the easy side, but that doesn't detract from the enjoyment. A must try if you like FROGs.

alohak
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alohak on Sep 4, 10 3:45 PM
Just a note of warning. If you are as experienced as I am (over 400 of these types of games) it might not be worth even 2.99. I finished 1/2 in the hour demo according to the walkthrough. I'm not paying 2.99 for another hour of gaming. Just thought I would mention that.

Edited on 09/04/2010 at 3:46:23 PM PST

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Sep 4, 10 4:17 PM
I just finished the game. I'm not near as experienced as the above poster, so it took me a while. I ended up skipping several on the mini-puzzles as they got frustrating. I also used hints several times.Having objects hidden until the puzzles within the scenes were solved made the search more difficult.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 4, 10 4:19 PM
I just finished playing the demo, and it looks like a definite "buy". Beautiful IFROG with big enough pieces to look for, and nice music.

The hints were good, even when it took some explanation of interactions to get me unstuck. (It talked me thru getting the carnivorous plant to open its mouth.)

Edited on 09/04/2010 at 4:25:07 PM PST

[Post New]by srebel85 on Sep 4, 10 4:51 PM
Usually I'm a sucker for the DD, especially HOGs but the replayability of Mystery Age seems very limited. (During a trial I always play a couple of distinct names during the 60 minutes to see how different the same sites will be on repeat visits). Given the weak story/dialogue and it appears this is very rote in that you must always find the same objects for linear uses, I suggest if you're looking for an HOG bargain spend the extra $2 this weekend for the ENDLESS coupon promotion and get "Samantha Swift and the Fountains of Fate" or "Golden Trails: The New Western Gold Rush," both of which provide excellent replayability.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 4, 10 6:33 PM
I don't see how many FROGs have replay value. When you need all the fragments to put a useful item together and progress they can't ever change. On HOGs the lists of objects can change on replay or a change of player name. Frogs I can play once, that's it unless a long passage of time where I forget where things are. Usually hard on the eyes too when tiny undefinable pieces, not objects and need a LOT of hints no matter if first or a replay, you can either see them or not.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Sep 4, 10 7:50 PM
I really don't enjoy FROG's as much as IHOG's. This one is an exception, I do like this one quite a bit - enough so that I had already bought it previously

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Sep 4, 10 9:27 PM
I don't own many frog games, and so I think I will go with this one especially as it is a DD. I enjoy games whose tasks are not self contained and solved on a single screen, as it gives more of a challenge. And for those who have smaller screens the graphics play quite well.

bunnydog
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,878 Posts

[Post New]by bunnydog on Sep 4, 10 9:32 PM
I think this game is great value for a daily deal. I ended up playing for several hours.... less expensive than going to a movie. I found some of the fragments rather small and hard to find, but as I played, I found I was becoming more accustomed to the graphics and didn't have to use as many hints. Some of the puzzles were challenging for me and I was glad that there was a skip button. Enjoyed playing it.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Sep 5, 10 12:51 AM

My first post got lost in the ether.

Anyway, this was on my 'To Buy' list...

So I did.

Beautiful game.

I am really enjoying it.

$2.99... Yeah, you guys ROCK!