bfgErie
Catfish
Catfish
1,538 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Youda Survivor

[Post New]by bfgErie on Sep 4, 10 11:39 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Youda Survivor? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

opiesmom
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Youda Survivor

[Post New]by opiesmom on Sep 4, 10 12:59 PM
I think I'm loving this. Sort of like Farm Frenzy. Will wait to buy until I see other posts on length of game and replayability, as I am a cheapskate and broke. Love that you can skip the intro since one of my pet peeves is long boring intros wasting my precious free demo time.

[Post New]by maudia on Sep 4, 10 1:08 PM
I really enjoyed the demo. It got me addicted to the game. Youda games are always good. Some too short, but this looks like it might take some time.

Looks like a good "endless" $4.99 game for this weekends special deal.

[Post New]by twiglet33 on Sep 4, 10 1:43 PM
i cant even get this game to download at the moment i use firefox and it goes into the download window and thats as far as it gets. i have also tried downloading it using internet explorer as i thought it might be due to the fact that i was using firefox this didnt work either. it comes up unknown time remaining and stays that way. is anyone else having problems downloading this game i dont normally have any problems downloading.

Edited on 09/04/2010 at 1:44:28 PM PST

syrionia
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by syrionia on Sep 4, 10 1:54 PM
@Twiglet, I also use firefox and am having no problems. Maybe try restarting your computer, that usually solves problems xD

Anyway I LOVE this TM game, but am having to take a break from it as my hand is starting to cramp! Very addictive, seems to be a good length too Loving the good TM games that have been around recently - keep it up BigFish

Edited on 09/04/2010 at 1:54:55 PM PST

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Sep 4, 10 2:30 PM
Fun game - it's sort of similar to Farm Frenzy but in a different setting and with unique things to do. You are given various goals each level - some are similar to Farm Frenzy in that you must use machines to make new products. Also, you have various rituals you perform to cause things like rain (replenish the water supplies) or wind (makes coconuts fall). All the while, you must keep an eye on your dehydration and stamina. Each task that you performs costs you stamina. There are regular visits by pirates who will try to steal your goods. You must fight them off WHILE playing out your levels. When you defeat them, they drop goods and run off. There are all sorts of awards/achievements you can win as well as upgrades you can buy. Game seems like it will have more than adequate length from the look of the map, considering how far I got in an hour's time. Loved the game after playing the demo and purchased right away. An interesting, unique & challenging TM game.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Sep 4, 10 6:55 PM
Fun graphics and storyline. The enemies are tough and the game play is interesting. I did like that you can upgrade just about everything. However, this seems to be Farm Frency on an deserted island. The helpers like the diver and cook are fun. I didn't like the fact that you didn't keep recieces from level to level.

I would say a B. Fun but not a must have.

shoelesshs
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by shoelesshs on Sep 4, 10 8:47 PM
My review after 1 hour demo:

Level: Easy to medium. Not too difficult; only failed one level but that was because of a computer glitch - see below.

Playability: Fair. I don't know if it was my computer or the game, but it seemed when there was too much going on, the game came to a stand-still, and no amount of clicking would make anything happen. (I am running this on a windows vista laptop.)

Likes: Like the island theme, the graphics are cute, plenty of stuff to do to keep you busy.

Dislikes: Did not understand the whole dehydration thing - it didn't seem to matter if you got dehydrated or not, as long as you met your goals, you were okay. It was easy enough to keep up your energy using potions. Sometimes, there was too much going on at once - crabs, eggs, water running low, and pirates all at the same time, which wanted to crash my computer. Takes too long to earn upgrades of tools & dance spells because you have to buy new building or building upgrades at just about every level. (And yes, this is with finishing all gold!)

Recommendations: Save your coins because you will need them to unlock stuff to play upper levels. (Or go back and play levels again to earn more coins.) Don't worry about the dehydration level - keep your hearts up by making potions and keep your water holes filled at night. Keep your storehouse empty by making products and potions - you do have limited space for storage.

Will I buy this? Probably not, just because of the glitches I was experiencing. Maybe I'll consider it in the future if those issues are cleared up. I did want to keep playing. It's a great game if you like the other Youda games or Farm Frenzy.

[Post New]by foxfire77 on Sep 4, 10 9:00 PM
This is an okay game, but after 23 minutes of playing I quit with kind of a meh feeling. I like the Farm Frenzy games, but I got a little bored with this. The graphics are nice, though, they usually are with the Youda games. The pirates amused me, I must admit.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Sep 4, 10 10:52 PM
i have thoroughly enjoyed most of the youda games, so i was very excited to have the opportunity to beta this one! loved it! thought the characters were cute and very likable,,, thought the challenge was balanced with plenty of fun.... there was always something to do,,, and the time just flew by!

this one was added to my collection... as will youda farmer 2 when it rolls out some time soon!

for all those who remarked on the likeness to farm frenzy - i think i may have actually said that in my review way back then, too... maybe it's just all that egg collecting! and the pirate invasions - stay away from my water, arrgh! it runs right along with fending off the bears...

as for the whole dehydration thing... think of it this way - water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink! you're on an island, where it's hot, and there's lots of ... if you lose too much water, you start to get all woozy and disoriented and hallucinating and that's not good for staying alive... if your health drops to certain level, you can lose your life in the game... but if you're barely holding on and you still get all your goods collected and potions made - you win... it's just a very fine line...

one thing i noted is that you can't use what you've collected until you finish the goal for that item... like if you have to collect ten eggs and powder them, you have to wait until you gather the ten if you want them all to count, or be willing to keep collecting until you hit all your goals... i found it particularly unnerving when i needed to gather water, but i needed water and i needed to make potions... but you get there! and then you get a visit from the crazy head cannibal! love that guy!

this one is very different from some of the other youda games... not a builder and doesn't have really have anything to do with food... even youda safari is pretty much a 'farmer' clone... but this one is very different - and i like different!

if time management has ever been a genre that you've tried and liked in the past - try this one on for size! i think you'll like it!

GoThDoLL
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by GoThDoLL on Sep 5, 10 2:46 AM
maudia wrote:I really enjoyed the demo. It got me addicted to the game. Youda games are always good. Some too short, but this looks like it might take some time.

Looks like a good "endless" $4.99 game for this weekends special deal.
not too shabby for a pre date release WTG BF

Very cute game with excellent graphics, lots n lots of levels to play (I like that, a lot) In some ways it is like farm frenzy without having to worry about purchasing animals. There is a chest full of all kinds of achievements that can be earned and ranks as well. Plus you get to ward off baddies and indigenous pest to contend with, but the upside to the baddies and the pests, is that they drop useful items.

However, if worrying about deadlines and fraying away the irksome, perhaps this may not be a good buy for you. Do try the game out, it is at least worth the trial.

Personally, I loved the game. What sold on buying, was that it had lots and lots of levels to play, trophies to win, alternate paths to travel on (which lead to beneficial upgrades), and finally the game it self was not overly challenging nor too simple. I give this game a 2 thumbs up! Thanx Bigfish

Ppapier
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by Ppapier on Sep 5, 10 3:47 AM
There are very good reviews here,I'll not add mine with my very limited English.
Have bought the game and don't regret it.Its very interesting and funny and ADDICTIVE.Yes,it can be compared with "Farm Frenzy",but don't know why,I find the "Fram Frenzy" games boring after a while and can't get tired of "Youda Survivor".Very nice graphics and funny little events...

The last but not the least: At that point,after looong hours playing, my game has NO ISSUE .For now I am busy,but can't wait to go back to this damned cool game !

[Post New]by Marinersfan04 on Sep 5, 10 6:20 AM
After years of playing HOGs, I've begun trying TM games. This is a really fun game. It took me a few levels to figure out what I was doing since the game doesn't hold your hand as much as others. This is at the top of my "buy" list for the Endless Summer sale.

[Post New]by lttletaz1 on Sep 5, 10 6:24 AM
I found that the graphics were great, never had a glich in the game and I am running windows 7on pc...this game is addicting so much that I bought the game,love the fact you can go back to the levels that you did not get the gold star on to earn more coins
people are right in reviews that it is alot alike farm frenzy. but this is addicting to play, at times alot of stuff is going on like collecting eggs,shrimp, making potions, keeping hydrated,keeping water holes filled, keeping energy up, collecting coconuts, etc... .for this game...eaisly rates a 5...

Schmootoo
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by Schmootoo on Sep 5, 10 7:13 AM
Very entertaining TM here, nice graphics, loads of achievements, trophies to collect, free choice when it comes to upgrades (aside from the 'must have' upgrades to progress level wise). You can go back and replay levels at will to earn extra coins or to get some of the achievements. No problems installing, or glitches in either windowed or fullscreen mode on Win7

The sounds of the machines can be irksome and I'd like an option just to ditch items in the shack rather than having to use them, recipes picked up on one level have to re-aquired on the next if you want to make em again which was a bit grrr.

However my aching arm and the alarming clicking sound my wrist just made, are sure signs that Y-Survivor is my addiction of the week - and looking at the amount of levels and replay value it has, it's a keeper imo

SnowNSew
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by SnowNSew on Sep 5, 10 11:02 AM
Thanks so much for the comments and reviews! Glad to know there is another game out there like Farm Frenzy - which I have yet to burn out on, despite the 5 identical versions. I downloaded this and love it.

Observation: during the demo it seemed a bit easy. And it doesn't look that long. Has anyone finished it? Does it get more difficult and how long is it?

Thanks!

mooskilady
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by mooskilady on Sep 5, 10 11:09 AM
This was very much Farm Frenzy meets deserted island. What a blast! Easy enough to keep me playing yet tough enough to keep me going back and scratching my head. And what a bonus to have it come out when there is an "all games" sale going on! Oh yeah, cha-ching! Totally a keeper.

This game meets my 3 most important criteria - TM (i'm addicted, I admit it), quicky levels (when there are just a FEW minutes to kill before going to work) and you can replay levels (with a bonus of keeping all the earnings each time!). The characters are adorable and it is just slightly chaotic at times.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Sep 5, 10 2:11 PM
General recommendation: Buy

I'm normally not a fan of TM games but the theme attracted me so I thought I'd try it. This game is very addictive. For those who don't care for timers, it is optional in the game although you won't get the gold or silver medals. I should also note that you get less money as a reward for completing the level. One nice thing is that you can replay a level and earn more money just for playing so if you really want to "cheat" you can play the earlier levels over and over again until you are able to buy the upgrades for various items used in the game.

There are awards and trophies given for achieving certain landmarks within the game so you get a sense of accomplishment and it also tells you how to get the milestones so you can work towards them. One quibble I had was that one award stated if you played a level and got the gold you had to replay and deliberately get the silver in order to get another accomplishment listed. Kind of backwards if you ask me.

The graphics are cute and somewhat playful without being distracting. The sounds are straightforward being more of an audio cue than actual music or ambiance but it works for a game like this.

Overall, I really liked this game and considering you can buy it on sale this is the time to get it.

James_Kit
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by James_Kit on Sep 6, 10 2:19 AM
Not saying that the game is bad, just that I expected something different from a game with "Survivor" in the title. Played few levels and had only been collecting eggs.

princessputter
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by princessputter on Sep 6, 10 4:47 AM
Bought this one fast.. thanks to the endless deal... much like farm frenzy.. but better so much to do I really enjoyed this one thank you big fish!!

(short review wanna get back to playing)

Go to: