bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 5, 10 12:05 AM
Help Kiera Vale discover her ancestor's history as she explores Blackwater Asylum in Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison! After receiving a mysterious letter from Alton Quinn, Kiera sets off to find out about her birth parents. Finding Blackwater Asylum to be in a state of disarray, Kiera begins exploring the grounds looking for information about her family, and Alton's mysterious secret. Help her discover the truth in this Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game!

Hey Fishies! What do you think of Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison?

We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Edited on 09/05/2010 at 9:19:16 AM PST

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

Re:Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison

[Post New]by ember89 on Sep 5, 10 12:14 AM
i've heard so much about this game in 'sneak peek'! cannot wait to take it for a spin!!

those of you who were in the beta group, please let us know if you see changes that improved this game from the tested one... anxious to hear what you think of the finished product!!

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Sep 5, 10 12:17 AM
I bought this, sight unseen, yesterday when the link to buy it snuck out early. I am currently downloading it, and I'm super excited to play it. The developer stopped by to chat with us at the Pub, and that's why I hit buy when I did. This is primarily adventure- there is one hidden object scene, and that's it. I have high expectations for this game, and I'm already really impressed with the screenshots. The artist for this game used to work with Blue Tea, a company you may recognize as the developer for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose, which had stunning artwork. Adventure fans, this is one to get! (And I'm not even an adventure fan!)

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Sep 5, 10 12:21 AM
This is SO COOL! Because it's a darker (visually) game, in the options screen there is a slider so you can adjust the brightness to your liking! Huge thumbs up, and I haven't even started!

gentlegirl
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gentlegirl on Sep 5, 10 12:26 AM
Hi!

I just tried this game and i like it. The downside is that the cursor can not be controlled when i try to use something from my inventory. Very frustrating. I have sent a mail to customer support.

[Post New]by troubles24 on Sep 5, 10 12:32 AM
I am having the same trouble with the cursor. Cannot retrieve anything from the inventory section. Hope it is fixed soon, looks like a great game.

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Sep 5, 10 12:35 AM
The walkthrough is posted in the blog if you need:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/nightmare-adventures-the-witchs-prison-walkthrough/

honeybun3403
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by honeybun3403 on Sep 5, 10 12:54 AM
go to options and unclick custom cursor. works.

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Sep 5, 10 12:55 AM
I am VERY happy with my purchase. I didn't think it was hand-hold-y at all. I've just stumbled across the first bit of voice acting in the game, and it made me laugh aloud and want to come back and review.

There is NO PENALTY for clicking, so click away!
The graphics are GORGEOUS, as I expected.
The story is already engaging, and the atmosphere is very well done.
There is a surprising amount of humor in this game. I LOVE reading the comments for clicking on stuff.
This is a huge winner for me. Glad I followed the hype on this one.

diji
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by diji on Sep 5, 10 12:55 AM
Same problem with the cursor! I hope they fix this soon because the game looks really good. I can't use inventory items but moving around works just fine.

[Post New]by desertsombra on Sep 5, 10 12:57 AM
When the problem with the cursor gets solve please let everyone know. Otherwise is a no buy for me. What is going on with this game with bad cursor or errors. Still upset over not being able to play Golden trails.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Sep 5, 10 12:59 AM
ok, so i've had a little time with the game... enough to get a little spooked... no issues with anything - sound, cursor, interaction... wish it was formatted for widescreen, but i got sucked in right off the bat and haven't checked the options menu... i LOVE how they immediately tell you to click everywhere, there's no penalty - these devs must know there are a few of us that can get a click-happy!

the graphics are really nice - this coming off of reincarnations 2... and the music is also terrific, perfect low tones that fade into the surroundings and enhance it rather than make you think any second someone will rake their nails over some slate and really put you out of your misery - or them...

so far i have only gotten inside the gates and met the so-called groundskeeper... and already i know enough to need to know more! i've just come across the little graveyard he mentioned... what lies in store? i don't know, but it's perfect for a dark summer night - especially if you're still pumped up on pain killers this will be the perfect sleeper for my recovery string... so glad there's a sale on!!

to the asylum!

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Sep 5, 10 1:00 AM
I just had an initial run-through (30 mins).

The graphics are pretty good, if dark. The one problem I had was with the whole game slowing down to a judder if the Inventory panel opened and especially if I had an object 'in hand'. Turning off the custom cursor made things better (not perfect, but playable). I wish companies would get this sort of thing sorted before release.

The puzzles have been easy so far, and you automatically photograph interesting items, which usually means the clues are at your fingertips when you run up against a password etc. A lot of the adventure puzzles have been collect 5 of X, 10 of Y and so on, and then use them in the obvious place.

I'm quite enjoying the story, though I've only stratched the surface. Creepy, but in a good way.

I couldn't beleive the Hidden Object scene I came across... gave me quite a laugh to find it where I did, and what the subject matter was.

Overall an enjoyable game so far, barring the cursor/slowdown problems. I'll give it another go in a bit with the rest of my hour, but I'll probably buy. Hopefully, the developers will sort out the cursor problem soon too.

Edited on 09/05/2010 at 1:01:45 AM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Sep 5, 10 1:00 AM
I like this game too. I thought I was losing my marbles, when I couldn't pick up my inventory. I hope this problem is fixed soon also. i will not buy it until it is.

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Sep 5, 10 1:03 AM
diji wrote:Same problem with the cursor! I hope they fix this soon because the game looks really good. I can't use inventory items but moving around works just fine.

Try turning off the custom cursor - that solved most of the problems I had with slowdown/juddering when I had an object in hand. You'll still get some limited cursor changes even with custom cursor turned off, so you'll still be able to see what you can look at, pick up, etc.

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

[Post New]by Robilyn on Sep 5, 10 1:07 AM
I never use the custom cursor. I am having the problem with the regular old cursor. I think it is a glich in the game.

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Sep 5, 10 1:10 AM
Hello ember89
What is the Beta Group ?

Catghost
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Catghost on Sep 5, 10 1:10 AM
Love it! 28 minutes into the demo and I'm hooked. Hit the 'buy' button and purchasing as we 'speak'. Did I say 'love it'?

Back to the asylum, because 'he returns'.....

P.S. Clicked on the fish above the door. Comment said: That's a Big Fish.
Very funny.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Sep 5, 10 1:29 AM
ember89, I agree with you, more developers need to make their games with the widescreen option.

podette
Clownfish
Clownfish
527 Posts

[Post New]by podette on Sep 5, 10 1:29 AM
Huneybun you are a star, the cursor was driving me mad. After reading your post I did what you said and hey presto success.

Edited on 09/05/2010 at 1:30:54 AM PST

Go to: