Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

Re:Department 42: The Mystery of the Ninie as today's DD comments and reviews

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Sep 5, 10 12:45 AM

Beautiful graphics!

Great puzzles!

Nice music.

From the sounds of it, it is going to be a good length.

I am liking this alot and feel like I am getting a GREAT deal at $2.99!

Thanks again BF!

You guys ROCK!

Angel

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Sep 5, 10 1:29 AM
At the end of the hour, i'm only beginning the 2nd (of 9) case. This looks to be a goood buy! It's a buy for me. Good value.

Edited on 09/05/2010 at 1:30:14 AM PST

goddess280653
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by goddess280653 on Sep 5, 10 2:54 AM
Crazy slow cursor and no option to not use custom cursor. Also the first scene I have been thru four screens of hidden objects (???) in connection with "the rocks in the pool" and even after all that it is still sparkling over the rocks and when I click on it it takes me back into the hidden object scene but no list of objects - because I have done this 4x there aren't many left ??? I don't get this - my pc has all the requirements to run this game and it looks like a goodie - any suggestions to get past the first scene would be much appreciated !!!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 5, 10 2:54 AM
Not sure why, but it's one I've demo-ed already. I kept it on my game manager with 3 minutes remaining, and had it listed as a "maybe" HOG buy. So I played up my 3 minutes and bought it.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 5, 10 3:58 AM
Goddess - the sparkles around the rocks HOG you have finished may be over the map area, go back to the bar. If you hover over the map you will see the dot that is the bar. The other is where you are. If you got the matches then next change scenes. I don't know why there would still be sparkles still on the rocks if you finished it, so guess it is the map to get your attention. Hope this helps.

I had played this on another site last year, maybe an hour but didn't get to finish when I cancelled my membership. So hoped to get farther on the demo to decide to buy or not but got hung up with the secret panel (edit) was Hidden Lab locked in the bar not opening, not even sparkles. Spent good time going to WT. I thought I had skipped the runic puzzle to hurry by, but had to go back, reset and do it before I could progress in the bar. That confused me, maybe I didn't wait long enough for skip to fill. So, I was out of sequence, had things I needed but still had to work that puzzle, a time bandit. Hour ended so wasn't even where I left off last time. Does feel like a good game but I get mixed up in adventures back and forth.

I do like the graphics so will buy it since it's just DD price and a punch rather than deciding what to buy on summer sale yet. What appeals to me is it looks like 9 "stories" to go back to rather than one sitting, should complete one job before doing the next and not the whole game to remember. I hope LOL. Or, one more unfinished game on my laptop. Also, i have widescreen and selected res 1366x768 but it is still with bars on each side, 1024x768. I switched names twice, started over but size didn't fill up screen. Why even ask with W7. Then after validating it said it may not have loaded properly for my OS. Don't want to start over but I clicked reinstall. Disappointed, I'll buy anything that will stretch to fill wide, this didn't.

Many others said it's a great game, great graphics so I'll take their word. But my word, why 2 minutes for a hint? On a demo yet and small screen, there went another 10 min waiting. Glad I'm not paying full price, yes it is relaxing all right, go fix a sandwich and relax again til...sure not a game I can rush through.

Edited on 09/05/2010 at 4:23:28 AM PST

stellmac
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by stellmac on Sep 5, 10 5:22 AM
Only played 10 minutes but game looking good;clear/sharp graphics and nicely hidden objects. Got to go out now but looking forward to playing more when I get back! Pretty sure it will be a buy - 2nd DD in 2 days!

teeitup46ok
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,217 Posts

[Post New]by teeitup46ok on Sep 5, 10 5:23 AM
Excellent game and one of my favorites. I actually finished this one and am waiting a while but will definitely play again.

[Post New]by wolffiveclaw on Sep 5, 10 5:25 AM
Well I downloaded the free hour to see what it was like and i won't be buying it. It's really annoying... you either have a hand with a ring that keeps sparkling as your cursor or... which is even worse... you have what looks like a spanner or something and is, presumably the crowbar you didn't put down (and can't) from the first scene!!
The you get to work out what the runes are and they haven't even had th edecency to use the right ones for the letters... it's a completely annoying game and if it carries on liek this I'd be throwing my lappy through the window.
Oh and if they must use the american 'compass' for a mathematics object at least tell us it's that and not a nautical one so we know what we're looking for.
Hated it

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Sep 5, 10 6:59 AM
Not a buy for me, even at the DD price. Agree about the graphics etc, but I found the puzzles totally non-intuitive. It's like crossword puzzles: sometimes you're "in tune" with the setter, and your first thought for an answer is the right one, other times you just look at the clue and think "what's he on about? No such word!". Similarly here: 2=2+triangle to me indicates that triangle = 0 : meaningless in the context.

In the end I got through this and other puzzles by brute force, trying every combination. Boring!

Maybe tomorrow's will be more to my taste ?

[Post New]by srebel85 on Sep 5, 10 7:42 AM
What a great choice for DD! Within the first hour (9 minutes left), I was able to find the first museum item, and knowing there are eight more tells me there's plenty left to experience. The mini-games are fresh and challenging. If a trial is designed to hook you, this did it for me. Any HOG/adventure enthusiast should find this of interest.

msdrake
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by msdrake on Sep 5, 10 9:56 AM
I evidently demoed this before although I don't remember it at all (old age you know) I didn't buy it back then but really am enjoying it this time around. I bought right away and I like the fact that it gives you directions for the puzzles. The hint system is very slow but to be honest most of the hidden objects are relatively easy to find although hidden in some tricky places. I've only used the hint if I'm on the last item and just want to move forward. Nice game....

Edited on 09/05/2010 at 9:56:38 AM PST

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Sep 5, 10 10:41 AM
Woah, it looked a lot more beautiful than it seemed from the screenshots! A definite buy for me at DD price, especially since it's said to have a great length.

I also love the fact that all 20 minigames and 20 HOG scenes can be replayed individually from the main menu once unlocked -- great option!

Purple_One
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Purple_One on Sep 5, 10 11:17 AM
Hi all, Just came in here to see if I should buy this one since it is only $2.99 today. I like the typo in the title: 'Ninie' instead of 'Nine', LOL. Threw me there for a second; thought I was checking out the wrong game. Guess I'll buy it anyway. Let you know later how I like it (or not). I don't like the Adventure games, so I hope it isn't more of that than a HOG since it is listed as a HOG. Wish games wouldn't have so many categories in them...when I want a HOG, I just want a HOG...the other stuff drives me nuts...except the minigames, they are my favorite part of any game. God bless

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Sep 5, 10 11:29 AM
I really enjoyed the demo.
Pros: The graphics are great, and the lightness or darkness can be controlled in "options" at the beginning. The H O scenes are quite clever, and you really have to look for the items, they are so well camoufloged (had to look up sp in dictionary). It is a real challenge in itself to find these hidden objects. The music is unobtrusive. The game play interesting with a good story line. Lots of self-thinking in this game. Objects to find in each scene are represented by a change in the cursor to a hand to pick it up. Not spooky, just challenging. Puzzles are not your usual fare. I played the hour demo without finishing the first chapter, so it would seem to be a long game. Not a lot of reading to do. Sound effects okay, but can also be controlled in "options" at the beginning. Well put together H O G/ Adventure. Map to navigate to each scene you need to go to; no going down streets and paths to get to where you want.

Cons: The cursor is, as said before, picky. You have to click correctly on what you want to pick up. No big deal, tho. Same scene revisited over and over with different objectives in mind. Again, no big deal for a DD.

Had none of the original problems of not being able to pick up things in my inventory or jerky motions with the custom cursor. Ran smoothly.

WOULD LIKE TO BUY, BUT CAN'T FIND THE CODE!! Anyone have any idea? Maybe when you buy it, it just comes up with the $2.99 price - haven't tried that.

Be safe, and peace,
cg

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 5, 10 11:36 AM
2=2+triangle to me indicates that triangle = 0
That's not + (plus), it's * (times).

1 = / 2 = / 3 = means in this context the first, the second, the third.

Edited on 09/05/2010 at 11:40:31 AM PST

Indy70
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Indy70 on Sep 5, 10 11:45 AM
SavemeJacks:

Don't need a DD code any longer. The price will change to $2.99 at checkout.

I didn't know that either until yesterday.

Happy gaming.

[Post New]by GeorgeXXIII on Sep 5, 10 3:14 PM
I liked this game a lot. Played the first chapter in the hour trial and decided it was worth the DD price.

Miridau
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Miridau on Sep 5, 10 4:16 PM
Fabulous game. Spent most of today playing it. Nearly bought it a couple of days ago with my monthly punch card credit, but then opted for Nemo´s Secret. The Nautilus. Glad I did as this was today´s DD. Also got yesterday´s DD. Now I need to decide which game to get with my normal monthly credit.
Wow. That will be 4 games already this month!

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Sep 5, 10 5:43 PM
This is a very interesting game with nice hidden object scenes. I really like the paranormal theme. The items are well hidden, but so far no "junkpiles." This looks like it will be a good length, as I only started the 2nd chapter when the demo ended. The hour demo flew by really fast, I was so engrossed in the game. It looks like it will be a very long game and is a great value at the DD price.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Sep 5, 10 6:19 PM
I was a bit unsure of this before I downloaded it.

Having a severe anxiety disorder plus hallucinations I thought this might be too creepy for me to play.

But from what I played it did not scare me at all, so presuming that all of the levels are not scary then I will be getting this one.

I was onto the third case just as the hour stopped so there is still lots of game-play to be had.

Great graphics, great story, and a nice pace to play at. Just the right mixture of hidden object, story and puzzles.

A good Daily Deal BigFish.

Go to: