bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 9, 10 2:28 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by heatherington on Sep 9, 10 2:39 AM
It's great. I played the whole demo. You went around collecting quite a few inventory items with each new hog scene. Once you make it into the house that is. Music is not annoying, actually can't remember hearing any. Black cat does help a little. Of course, this is a buy and you will want to get the CE. You might be able to wait until it comes out regular, but what's the fun in that! Good graphics, hog scenes are good and it doesn't seem as if we are looking at the same old thing. One of the wheels on the window sill was a little on the tiny side, had to use a hint for that one. Great game! Hope it lasts a long time.

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Sep 9, 10 2:58 AM
SUPERB GAME!!! LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT!!!!! ALL IN ALL!!! 5+ stars !!!!

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editi

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 9, 10 3:25 AM
Well, have to say I'm not amused that I can't test the integrated SG in this sample version. I like CE's for the integrated SG (and the early access and the bonus game play, of course). As I wrote in the "This is just wrong" thread, I had one CE, where the SG didn't work, and so I very much prefer to test that one also.

As an aside, it's categorized as Hidden Object game, not as adventure, so for real HOG gamers, the start will probably be difficult (to get into the house), and for adventure gamers, there will probably be too many HOG scenes.

Options for: Music, Sound, Fullscreen adjustment and Custom Cursor can be turned off.
2 game modes: Regular and Expert, differences are in loading times for Skip puzzles and hint refill in HOG scenes (only) plus sparkles for the HOG scenes. The hint refills awfully slow for my taste, even in Regular mode.
Random click penalty (cursor spinning) after 3 or 4 mouse clicks only....
The HOG scenes are junkpile -- for a house someone is living in, it looks terribly cluttered I don't recall items that are out of the time period, and you get one useful item from each HOG scene, but nonetheless, I'm spoiled in this aspect now.

The tutorial is optional, and there is also a Help button with the basic explanations from the menu later then.
The dialogue is both skippable and next-clickable.

Extro cannot be skipped by ESC, space bar, Enter or mouse clicks.

I played and liked the first one, and this is - from the game contents - an OK-game, too, IMO. The story didn't grab me right away, but that could be due also to my mood re. the SG.
I could say that I'd wait for someone to buy the CE and report back re. the SG, but that doesn't guarantee it would work on my computer. So, and as I have a ton of other good games to play, I'm not going to risk my time and I know how it'll turn out: I can just as well wait for the Reg.version, then I can just as well wait for the German version, and then I can just as well wait for the Reg.version to come out as DD...

Anyhow, just my comments - happy gaming to everyone who buys the game!

Edited on 09/09/2010 at 3:39:48 AM PST

ciscaR8
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by ciscaR8 on Sep 9, 10 3:50 AM
i have all the other edgar games so far, maybe i am dumb but i tried to pick up the razor from the bench and tie to the brench, it wont let me pick up, and i cant pick up tread either, doing something wrong?
cisca

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 9, 10 4:03 AM
Yep, that was a bit tricky. Here's how it worked for me - SPOILER, highlight below to read:
First, click on the razor so it becomes straight. You can't put it on the branch as long it is in "bent" form. Then click and drag the razor to the branch. And only then the thread will become clickable: Then click and drag the thread to the branch.

Happy gaming!

donnasm
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by donnasm on Sep 9, 10 4:25 AM
I'm downloading the demo right not. I love all the Poe games, and so long as this works on my computer it will be a definite purchase. I don't have the patience to wait for the regular dedition on anything Poe.

kkbodine
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by kkbodine on Sep 9, 10 5:09 AM
EXCELLENT game!!! Love everything about it. Thanks BF and developers Definite buy for me

Dawspaws
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Dawspaws on Sep 9, 10 5:21 AM
You've all sold me. It's a buy for me. Looks like a great game. Thanks

tinkz2007
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by tinkz2007 on Sep 9, 10 5:25 AM
loved this game, cant wait for the regular version to come out - very rarely buy collectors edition.
Bit sad that the trial finished before the hour was up tho, still had 30 mins game time left!!

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editio

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Sep 9, 10 6:07 AM
Well I had to buy the CE since I just couldn't wait. What a fantastic game. I love these brain challenges. Glad to have the strategy guide from time to time.

Haven't finished yet but it's 6 AM so will have the last 2 chapters to look forward to tomorrow. A definite 5 . Highly recommend it.

Edited on 09/09/2010 at 6:07:43 AM PST

[Post New]by Merryweather on Sep 9, 10 6:18 AM
I am absolutely STUCK. I have played through to starting the boiler to open the door 3 times and I cannot go further. The hint and help keep telling me that I must connect the wheel, which I thought I did. In the strategy guide it says to use the bolt. I don't have one, cannot locate one and feel like I must be blind.

Other than the above problem, this has been another hit for BFGames.

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Sep 9, 10 6:26 AM
I love the game. I love the series and bought this one. I figure that the Strategy Guide would be $6.99 if you bought it separately plus, you don't have to leave the game if you get stuck to find out what to do. To me, that is worth $6.99 since there is a lot to do in this game. Plus that makes the other extras free!! I don't want to wait until the end of the month for the standard version to come out. I'll just cut corners elsewhere in my budget.

Happy gaming everyone!!

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Sep 9, 10 7:19 AM
I did not really like the first Dark Tales Poe game. Is this pretty much the same as that one?

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Sep 9, 10 7:44 AM
I love the game I like a bit of a challenge, it takes patience and thought and you can get through it. Well done Bigfish that is 2 Collector edition I have bought this monthe keep it up

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 9, 10 7:58 AM
Another spooky one. Great graphics. Love it ! Demo'd for 5 minutes and was sold. So many good games to play, so little time. I may have to retire. Hope everyone enjoys.

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Sep 9, 10 8:04 AM
I've been waiting on this one!! Based solely on the demo, I love it!!! Custom cursor available in Options. Regular or expert mode of play. I chose regular. Random click penalty is a loopy cursor that lasts for a few seconds. Hint refills in about 2-3 min.
This game is an IHOG. From what I've played there's ALOT of back and forth. I experienced no tech problems at all.
Graphics are good. Hidden object scenes are not junkpile but a little difficult. I used the hint twice due to time limit in demo. In regular mode, sparkles indicate areas of interest. In hidden object scenes, cursor turns into a hand to further investigate certain things.
Puzzles-good. I encountered a tricky little gear puzzle in the demo!
Strategy guide can be accessed without going to the main menu.
I didn't get too far in the demo, so it will be a good length for me and....Chevalier Dupin is back and he is a handsome !! Definite buy for me!

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Sep 9, 10 8:50 AM
I was so excited to see another Poe game! I played the demo, loved it ( as I thought I would) and purchased!

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Sep 9, 10 9:07 AM
I enjoyed most of the demo but due to screen resolution problem, I give this 3 out of 5 stars. I tried several different screen resolution settings and I still had overlap on both sides. Very frustrating and disappointing. Will not buy at this time for that reason alone. My monitor is 20" wide screen and fortunately most designer/developers are providing resolutions for proper viewing. This particular developer did not. Oh well.

For those of you who can play the game without viewing problems good luck and have fun!

kinget
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by kinget on Sep 9, 10 9:11 AM
I loved Murders in the Rue Morgue and didn't give this one much of a trial before buying it, but I normally wouldn't have done that without being able to try the Strategy Guide or at least a walkthrough. I hope there will be a walkthrough because often I need the details that aren't always in the strategy guide.
It is a little frustrating if you're used to straight HOGs, because you have to get into the house first - glad for the hints by my fellow Fishies which let me get far enough to know I had to have it. There are no hints in the game except in the HOG scenes, and there's a lot of moving back and forth between scenes to gather items you need, but the graphics are great and the dialogue and story interesting.
A good buy, especially with the discount for Game Club members!

Go to: