bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues here onl

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 9, 10 2:29 AM
If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Frequent Crashing of Game
Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the forums, or other tech savy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team. The forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly. If there is a problem with the game, our Support Team can also gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues her

[Post New]by tillybaby on Sep 9, 10 3:25 AM
I am having a real problem trying to use items that are in my inventory. The hand icon comes on but then I have to try numerous times to get the things to actually work, it is very frustrating and spoils the whole flow of the game play. At the moment I have to assemble the boiler and must say I have given up because I've been trying for over ten minutes to pick up an item to fix the thing

Catghost
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues he

[Post New]by Catghost on Sep 9, 10 3:42 AM
I downloaded the trial, started the game, so far no problems.
But....is the introduction video supposed to be without sound/music? Maybe it's just me or my pc, but the video played without any sound. The game itself has sound, the video didn't. Any help/ideas would be nice!

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out myself, with the help of _DD_. Exited and re-entered the game and all was well.

Edited on 09/09/2010 at 6:34:17 AM PST

supra
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues here

[Post New]by supra on Sep 9, 10 5:56 AM
Can't play it. Downloaded fine but when I click play nothing happens, if I click play again I get the message the game is already running. Done everything suggested in the help sections but nothing worked. Anyone else had this or got a solution?
Thanks, Heather

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues here

[Post New]by Faylyn on Sep 9, 10 6:38 AM
What is recommended screen resolution? I have a 20" wide screen monitor and this game overlaps on both sides. I refuse to play any game in "windowed" mode. All recommendations welcome. Thanks.

bpurdum2
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues he

[Post New]by bpurdum2 on Sep 9, 10 8:10 AM
tillybaby wrote:I am having a real problem trying to use items that are in my inventory. The hand icon comes on but then I have to try numerous times to get the things to actually work, it is very frustrating and spoils the whole flow of the game play. At the moment I have to assemble the boiler and must say I have given up because I've been trying for over ten minutes to pick up an item to fix the thing

I am having the same problem. I just started the game and at the gate with the dog. Found the ball but cannot pick up the razor to use. The rope and stick will not combine. I guess I cannot go any into the game. I was going to buy this game but am not happy that I cannot access the strategy guide for help and that it is hard to pick up items with the hand.

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues

[Post New]by MargieB on Sep 9, 10 8:14 AM
bpurdum2 wrote:
tillybaby wrote:I am having a real problem trying to use items that are in my inventory. The hand icon comes on but then I have to try numerous times to get the things to actually work, it is very frustrating and spoils the whole flow of the game play. At the moment I have to assemble the boiler and must say I have given up because I've been trying for over ten minutes to pick up an item to fix the thing

I am having the same problem. I just started the game and at the gate with the dog. Found the ball but cannot pick up the razor to use. The rope and stick will not combine. I guess I cannot go any into the game. I was going to buy this game but am not happy that I cannot access the strategy guide for help and that it is hard to pick up items with the hand.

Spoiler Alert!!

You have to get the razor out of the gutter using the GLOVES (obtained below the hat in the zoom-in scene of the right bench).

• Zoom into the left bench.

• Place the RAZOR and the BRANCH on the bench.

• Click on the RAZOR to open it.

• Drag the opened RAZOR to the TOP end of the branch.

• Drag the STRING from the bench to the handle of the razor to obtain the RAZOR TOOL.

MargieB

Edited on 09/09/2010 at 8:22:09 AM PST

Re:Post any Dark Tales: ™Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition technical issues her

[Post New]by indigenous on Sep 9, 10 8:16 AM
supra wrote:Can't play it. Downloaded fine but when I click play nothing happens, if I click play again I get the message the game is already running. Done everything suggested in the help sections but nothing worked. Anyone else had this or got a solution?
Thanks, Heather

Having same problem! So frustrating as you can't see WHERE it is running and know that it is using up your trial period!! Any easy solutions out there??? Not the first game this has happened with either.

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Sep 9, 10 8:17 AM

Spoiler Alert!!

Have you picked up the BOLT in the center of the boiler (it looks like a gray button)?

You need that to attach the WHEEL and the ROD.

Hope that helps.

MargieB

MrsWhatsit
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by MrsWhatsit on Sep 9, 10 8:23 AM
Game won't run. I keep getting a message that the exe has stopped working. This is the third or fourth time in recent weeks I've been unable to play a demo. Previously this never happened.

nene093035
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by nene093035 on Sep 9, 10 9:18 AM
Having the same problem. The game won't run at all. I get game already running. This is the third game I've had do that. Any suggestions.

[Post New]by JustDontTryIt on Sep 9, 10 9:36 AM
Usually, if you get the message saying a game is already running, just restart your computer, that should take care of that problem.
Unfortunately, my HP doesn't have a restart button, I have to turn the computer off, or shut it down, and then turn it back on.

Catghost
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Catghost on Sep 9, 10 9:40 AM
Maybe it's the gamemanager causing problems?

I never had any issue with it until a few weeks ago. Games take a looooooooooooooong time te load, or don't load at all the first time you click them and you have to repeat until they do.
My pc suggested I should reinstall, which I did, but it doesn't seem a lot better.
Can live with it though, I have the time nor the energy to go through a lot of tech-checking with CS. Busy as a bee, lately.

Edited on 09/09/2010 at 12:12:12 PM PST

wildone667
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by wildone667 on Sep 9, 10 9:50 AM
my demo won't even download. it keeps saying I'm not on the internet but I am. maybe I'll try later somethings telling me not to spend all day playing games.

[Post New]by mommyvargas on Sep 9, 10 11:37 AM
Went through the demo no problem, bought it and now it has cut off 3 times. When I restart the game Starts at the very beginning with the Profile states that the previous file is corrupt and I must start over from the beginning. HELP!!!!

[Post New]by wispywillow54 on Sep 9, 10 2:52 PM
mommyvargas wrote:Went through the demo no problem, bought it and now it has cut off 3 times. When I restart the game Starts at the very beginning with the Profile states that the previous file is corrupt and I must start over from the beginning. HELP!!!!

I just ran into the same thing. I uninstalled and have reinstalled. Going to try again now and see what happens.

dragonrain
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by dragonrain on Sep 9, 10 4:14 PM
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DOWNLOAD ALL OF THE HIDDEN OBJECT GAMES FOR THE LAST WEEK I AM A MEMEBER IT DOWNLOADS BUT WILL NOT COME UP SORRY IM IN CAPS EYE PROBLEMS

[Post New]by jilliepepper on Sep 9, 10 7:09 PM
Hi it all went great untill i went into the garden, then it went on a go slow and the
cursor went all funny as well. I did finely get by but i have come across some more.
But im still enjoying it

[Post New]by srgparker on Sep 9, 10 8:38 PM
Really enjoying the game...had some issues a few times, started playing and got booted out a few times, nothing saved "save file is corrupt" error...uninstalled, reinstalled, everything was running smoothly again. Now am mid way through chapter 2/3 and have been booted out again. When I attempt to 'play again' I get the "save file is corrupt" message. This is frustrating as I have made a lot progress this time around from the first reinstall.
Any patches or solutions for this? Anybody? Thanks!

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Sep 9, 10 9:00 PM
Played the demo just fine. Downloaded the full version and I'm getting access violation errors. Have adjusted everything from the help pages and am now in the processes of deleting and reinstalling.

This is the first game that I have had a serious problem with in two years.

Edited: Fixed!!

The third time I re-installed, I remembered to turn off my firewall. The game runs perfectly now.

Edited on 09/09/2010 at 11:59:17 PM PST

Go to: