bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Puzzle Quest 2

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 10, 10 3:35 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Puzzle Quest 2? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

mayura1
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Puzzle Quest 2

[Post New]by mayura1 on Sep 10, 10 6:40 AM
Why no trial? That seems a bit odd for this level of game.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 10, 10 8:05 AM
As for the no-trial question, it's been explained as a matter of bandwidth and costs for that for large file games, usually for large file adventures, but anyhow: This one is HUGE.
The most quoted official explanation seems to be here; if interested see also the other links at end of msg:

Another No-Trial Game? (CCC) / by Picman
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/72125.page#1339777

As for this game: I find it impressive and overwhelming. It's more like an RPG than a simple M3. You're just playing alone (not online, I mean), as Sorcerer, Templar, a Barbarian, or an Assassin, and you have TONS of choices and upgrades for their inventory and weapons...
There's a quest as well as the possibility to play several M3-varieties from the main menu. Also options for game difficulty in these 'standalone' games. As usual, the better explanations are in the Quest, so you'd better start with that.

I didn't see a language option, but the game came up in German on my computer (which is right, in this case <g> ). That's why I can't give the correct descriptions for everything. But there's a good review by gmac1007 in the "Puzzle Quest 2" thread in this forum.

Too challenging for me, but definitely impressive and certainly a good buy and much fun for those that can deal with such a game.

ETA: not to scare anyone off: What I meant to say with the language remark is that the game can detect the language from your computer. well, hope you know what I mean; can't explain well today.
====================
Some more links re. LFG's and no-trials:

The Hardy Boys: The Hidden Theft forum
"[removed] Off."
by eddyatwork:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/20/74867.page#1389322
by bfgCelebes:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/20/74867.page#1396773

Jewel Quest Mysteries: Trail of the Midnight Heart Forum
"Jewel Quest demo" / by Picman
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/67126.page#1252777

Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion
"no trial available" / by bfgZambezi
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/20/91233.page#1681642

Edited on 09/10/2010 at 8:55:01 AM PST

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Sep 10, 10 9:04 AM
Awesome game !! I downloaded it from another site yesterday and I was so excited to see it here today ! I purchased it as soon as I saw it. It is so fun and there is massive hours of play with this game. You get to pick your character there are six to choose from. You go around doing quest for people some are battles with all sorts of creatures like goblins, trolls, witches, a rat swarm and a polar bear. Not all the people ask you to fight a creature someone will ask you to help put out a fire and also break down doors and it is all matching and there are side quest you will be asked to do and they will have a silver exclamation mark above the person's head but you can refuse if you want because they are not required of you to do like the others the required quest have a gold exclamation mark and that will be explained in the game. There is no timer on the board you simply battle an enemy and you play until one of you dies so once you die you can restart the battle again. The mini games are fun as well they are just your basic matching games no pipe's to put together or switches to pull or at least I've not come across any yet. The upgrades are good as well and of course you can use your magic to damage your enemy. Just an all around fun game with great graphics and sounds and hours of play. If you love M3's this is a must it is the best M3 I think I have ever played and I have played many and this one for me is the BEST ! Give it try you'll be glad you did. Thanks for another great game Felix !

Edited on 09/10/2010 at 10:36:45 AM PST

[Post New]by Evildarklink on Sep 10, 10 10:32 AM
ok so, I'm not going to download it because I already got it on Steam, BUT: it's the same game, it's HUGE, and that's probably why there's no trial too, if you like RPGs and/or Match 3 games this game is for you! The AI is increasing at a standard rate so the difficulty of not letting your opponent get the mana he needs or skulls if you're about to die becomes key, with spells and items to use in combat, this game will please a lot of people! Really cool that you guys can offer this game! I find it awesome!

[Post New]by BabyVampJC on Sep 10, 10 12:04 PM
instant buy! Didn't mind if there was no trial, as I would've bought it outright anyways I loved the first Puzzle Quest, and with the hour or so I spent playing this one so far, I see they only improved upon it! Very Happy! Thanks BF!

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Sep 10, 10 5:51 PM
What a cool game - looked kinda unusual and with the great reviews, I decided to check it out on the reviewing site. It also scored highly there - but there is also a video demo by the developer - you don't get to play yourself but you can watch a 10-15 minute long demo of the game being played and explained as it goes along. All I can say is wow, I have never seen anything like this and what a cool idea! Bought this game outright and am downloading it now.

calamity
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by calamity on Sep 10, 10 7:23 PM
I thought I would try it even it didn't have a trial, but was mistaken, will have to ask for my monthly credit back, it will not start, I click on it to start and it goes directly to thank you for playing the game and would you like to play somemore, there is something wrong with it....

[Post New]by StPete on Sep 11, 10 4:11 AM
Now I remember why I said I would never download a game without a trail The first Puzzle quest I enjoyed (and played through 3 times) but find PQ2 very disappointing. The game would not start and I had to fish around and fix some problems mainly with DX. After this I found the graphics on the match 3 screen poor and difficult to get used to. Between the actual match battles there is a lot of repetative clicking that becomes a bore as time goes on. However this is a huge game and will keep you amused for weeks. I was looking forward to PQ2 and purchased it as soon as it came out, now deleted after 1 hour of playing (which says it all).

Edited on 09/11/2010 at 4:12:27 AM PST

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Sep 11, 10 9:38 AM
I'm really annoyed that this game didn't have a trial because this game commits the cardinal sin of Match-3 games- the tiles don't slide. If I want to swap two pieces, I have to click on both of them. I can't just click on one and pull it to the direction I want it to be. This makes all the other trappings of excellence irrelevant, as the actual gameplay is tedious and terrible, like something a brand new developer might do. I will stick to playing the first Puzzle Quest, and wish I'd spent my coupon elsewhere.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Sep 11, 10 11:00 AM
Really enjoying this game that I bought yesterday. Planned on playing for approximately 1/2 hour this morning to test it out. Here it is 4 hours later and I'm just now stopping! This is one cool game - very, very addictive gameplay. It is an RPG mixed with match 3 & adventure gameplay. Every single thing you do in this game is based on your match 3 performance. You fight battles, play bonus games for resources & coins, bash down doors, put out fires, etc. all through your match 3 gameplay. You level up with experience points while playing and get buy upgraded weapons and armor. The game comes in multiple formats - you can play tournaments, quick battles, quest mode (what I chose), or mini games only. There are dungeons to explore and quests to solve - some optional, some mandatory but it's all fun. Some of the opponents can be pretty tricky. One thing that annoyed me was a hint arrow that is on by default - luckily you can turn it off OR adjust how soon it appears - I found it to be more distracting than anything else as you must strategically make every move on the match 3 board. Excellent game - I have not played anything this addicting and of such high quality & of value gameplay wise in a while. This one will keep you going for ages and has fantastic playability due to different starting characters (who have different spells/weapons/traits to use during the battles). 5 Star Game

[Post New]by balloongirl2 on Sep 11, 10 3:56 PM
i am still not sure. need to have hrs of spare time to get into it. my grandson loves all this travel and questions stuff when you get past that it is a lot of time spent clicking and text to read to finally play a M3 game but when i retire and i am bored and have time on my hands i think maybe i will like it.

Madth3
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by Madth3 on Sep 11, 10 5:50 PM
Even without a trial I decided to use a punch card credit and, after playing for an hour and a half, I'm really glad I did.

I'm not really into RPG but I love these combinations with Match3 battles.

As a RPG, the rules for the Match3 games are complicated but I tend to find some Match3 games kind of boring without some extra rules.

The graphics are just gorgeous and I have a low end integrated graphics card.

All in all, a fun game for me.

MacAy
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

[Post New]by MacAy on Sep 12, 10 4:55 AM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:you can't change the characters' names, which always annoys me

That's what I thought too - cause there's no blinking cursor or anything.
But you actually can change it.
While creating your character you only have to hit the backspace key and type any name you want .

[Post New]by Rusted on Sep 13, 10 6:06 PM
This is a rely fun game. But there is a BIG patch out for it.. witch I did not know about when I got it from BF.
Some of the spells are broken BAD and lots of other stuff has been fixed.

Anyway worth the money but please..patch.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Sep 15, 10 10:31 AM
gmac1007 wrote:Awesome game !! I downloaded it from another site yesterday and I was so excited to see it here today ! I purchased it as soon as I saw it. It is so fun and there is massive hours of play with this game. You get to pick your character there are six to choose from. You go around doing quest for people some are battles with all sorts of creatures like goblins, trolls, witches, a rat swarm and a polar bear. Not all the people ask you to fight a creature someone will ask you to help put out a fire and also break down doors and it is all matching and there are side quest you will be asked to do and they will have a silver exclamation mark above the person's head but you can refuse if you want because they are not required of you to do like the others the required quest have a gold exclamation mark and that will be explained in the game. There is no timer on the board you simply battle an enemy and you play until one of you dies so once you die you can restart the battle again. The mini games are fun as well they are just your basic matching games no pipe's to put together or switches to pull or at least I've not come across any yet. The upgrades are good as well and of course you can use your magic to damage your enemy. Just an all around fun game with great graphics and sounds and hours of play. If you love M3's this is a must it is the best M3 I think I have ever played and I have played many and this one for me is the BEST ! Give it try you'll be glad you did. Thanks for another great game Felix !

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Sep 15, 10 10:37 AM
Normally I don't buy match 3 games I find them boring. However Puzzle Quest 1 and now Puzzle Quest 2 have changed my opinion. I love everything about this game including the voice. The music can change also depending on level your on. The looting would have been more fun just to open the chest in my opinion instead of the mini game. Also it would have been great to to know the damage our weapon hits for sometimes its hard to figure out what to keep and buy. I love the RPG in this game with all the strange quests. I hope they will continue the puzzle quest RPG in the puzzle quest 3 I know I will buy and also the speech. It is rare but nice added touch.
I have a few questions but will go and post on the hint board. For me this is a fun game and I am glad I bought it. More fun than puzzle quest 1 even in my opinion.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 17, 10 5:35 PM
No. I will never buy a game like this. it's for little boys who like battles and trolls. Go play your Nintendo and leave BigFish alone. Stupid.

maarja0
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by maarja0 on Sep 19, 10 8:53 AM
Sherryah wrote:Normally I don't buy match 3 games I find them boring. However Puzzle Quest 1 and now Puzzle Quest 2 have changed my opinion. I love everything about this game including the voice. The music can change also depending on level your on. The looting would have been more fun just to open the chest in my opinion instead of the mini game. Also it would have been great to to know the damage our weapon hits for sometimes its hard to figure out what to keep and buy. I love the RPG in this game with all the strange quests. I hope they will continue the puzzle quest RPG in the puzzle quest 3 I know I will buy and also the speech. It is rare but nice added touch.
I have a few questions but will go and post on the hint board. For me this is a fun game and I am glad I bought it. More fun than puzzle quest 1 even in my opinion.

I absolutely agree - usually I don't buy any match 3 games, but I really love the storyline with multiple quests and all kinds of choices. Although it would be nice to try it yourself before buying, I really recommend this game!

moonryu
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by moonryu on Sep 19, 10 10:11 PM
I am summary impressed with this game, It had all the fun of a match 3, though it did take me a bit to figure out that you have to match the fists then click on the weapons, I must have missed that tutorial.

Aside from that very minor annoyance, quickly resolved once I figured it out. I had boatloads of fun with this game. There is a huge potential for reply by playing one of the other character types.

And of course, spell picking -- that is a skill to learn, I had to play around before I found the group of spells I liked but with them (and yes no spoliers), most battles are fairly -- I won't say easy -- because I have lost some with just poor choices on my part for not looking ahead of what would happen if you watch something.

Fun game, I recommend it to anyone that enjoys a mixture of Match 3 and RP / dungeon crawl.

Please by all means, make the next greatest version, and if you need a playtester, I voluneteer.

Go to: