bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 11, 10 3:32 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystic Gateways: The Celestial Quest

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Sep 11, 10 3:52 AM
Adventure game, with two options: Normal and Advanced.

The Normal hint system is very-very friendly, helping you to gather object pieces with a "collecting hand" - and I like it... No need to look for unseen , distorted, or blended objects - just "follow the hand", and activate your gray cells a little bit...

It's a buy for me. Yes, I too buy too many games, but only if they are "friendly" enough. And this one is for sure...

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Sep 11, 10 4:15 AM
The graphics are beautiful. The action is non-stop so far (32 min. into the trial) The puzzles are a little easy at the beginning but very enjoyable. They might become more difficult as the game progresses. Decent story line but the game is not burdened down with a bunch of dialogue (when I'm in the mood to read I grab a book. I could go on and on but I want to get back to the game! Very enjoyable! A definite buy. 5 x
Dr.good

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Sep 11, 10 4:20 AM
I played about 30 minutes into the demo and think I might buy this one.

I find the game to be a pleasant surprise, rather relaxing and enjoyable to play. I've been playing the Advanced mode because it's easy to figure out what to do and how to do it without using a walkthrough or hints. I didn't even use the tutorial.

The graphics are pleasing and the music is soft. The animations could've been a bit more eye-popping to where it would be a really good game. The theme of Egypt is always a draw to the audience.

The mini-games aren't that hard and I've done a few already without skipping.

It's not too hard, so for those who like an easier challenge, it's a good buy.

[Post New]by heatherington on Sep 11, 10 4:28 AM
I didn't like it. Same old story. Start out in a house, someone asks you to do something, discover secret room, spend the first hour in the house doing stupid mini games before you get to go on the real adventure. I don't know, after a while this sort of thing just gets boring. Nice graphics and the play is not too hard. Just didn't get my attention right off.

susie_b
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by susie_b on Sep 11, 10 4:38 AM
Played the demo on this game and was not too impressed. The graphics were OK but I just thought it was all a little boring. Not for me this time!!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 11, 10 5:04 AM
I have just had one of those deja vu moments where you start playing a game and you know exactly where everything is and what you have to do. I exited the game and came and searched my purchase history but it wasn't there and I sat here all when all of a sudden I had a blinding of it was the game I had beta tested under another name ... anybody got any memory enhancing pills because I have only demoed 2 games and the other was a TM so you think I would have remembered quicker.

My comments at the time of the beta was that it was a good game but too easy so I am hoping that they have made it a bit more challenging in the advanced mode. I said I would buy it when it came out and I have so I now know how I will be spending my Saturday afternoon. ... Ciao

C

auntj38
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by auntj38 on Sep 11, 10 5:24 AM
[b] I like this game. Still playing the demo and I'm already in trouble. Can't seem to collect the lemon's. Can anyone help. there is a lock that open's and closes and none of the leomon's fall when I click on them. It's a buy for me if I can get passed this.

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

[Post New]by Jofer on Sep 11, 10 5:40 AM
Played 45 minutes of the demo and couldn't take any more, I was bored to tears. The game has nice graphics, the music is fitting to each scene. Objects are not difficult to find at all, and the mini games tie into the story. I found it too easy, playing on advanced setting, found myself just walking thru the game doing the motions, nothing actually grabbed my interest. Not sure how the hint system is - never had occasion to try it.

The one frustrating thing I found with this game was moving between scenes - you needed to find the hotspot area to let you move from one to the other, not always in the same spots in each scene either, so sometimes found myself clicking madly to get out and go to a previous screen - on the other hand though I didn't notice any penalty for random clicking at those times!

Nothing terrible here but nothing exciting either - nothing that makes me want to buy the game to keep playing and see how it ends.

Indy70
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Indy70 on Sep 11, 10 5:48 AM
This was an almost immediate buy for me and I happily applied a punch card credit for this one. About 15 minutes into the demo I knew this is my kind of game. Clear, crisp graphics, nice variety of puzzles (skippable if you like), two modes of play. I don't get too excited about the length of the games. I rarely have time to sit and play any game from start to finish, so length is never an issue for me. It's not all filled up with lots of "talky" time-consuming dialogue and has nice in-the-background music. This is just a great over-all game that doesn't turn make my brain go numb, which is just the kind of game I enjoy playing some days.

Thanks BFG for giving us a great variety of affordable games so everyone can pick what they like.

A big fins-up from this fishie - happy gaming everyone.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Sep 11, 10 6:04 AM
I also beta tested this game and enjoyed it very much. It is certainly a buy for me right away. I lovrd doing this testing and it really gave me a chance to do something I had never done before. I think everyone should try the demo before saying yay or nay. I have been waiting for this to show up and now off to play.

bbelle

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Sep 11, 10 7:07 AM
Sorry, I disliked this game.
From the start there were some technical issues with it. When I had to turn on the lamp in the first screen everything was black. Went to the menu and turned off the custom cursor (and the loud music down) and returned to the screen. I could then see but it was in a very small window. I don't know if it was supposed to be that way but all the items were so small that they were hard to find because they were indistinct.
I was playing in the advanced mode but still found the game very hand holding. Things had to be done in a certain order. You were not allowed to pick items up until the annoying woman told you to.
The tool kit was another thing that bugged me. Why did the item not stay in my hand until I decided to put it back? This became a big problem when I had to dust off the pyramids. I knew they all had to be dusted but as soon as one was done the brush disappeared!
I don't know if the script was supposed to be amusing but it just came over as sarcastic to me. By the end of the Demo I had lost the will to live and my temper.
Some fishies will probably enjoy this game but it is a definite "no buy" from me.

Edited on 09/11/2010 at 7:08:49 AM PST

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Sep 11, 10 7:36 AM
cherbtoo wrote:I have just had one of those deja vu moments where you start playing a game and you know exactly where everything is and what you have to do. I exited the game and came and searched my purchase history but it wasn't there and I sat here all when all of a sudden I had a blinding of it was the game I had beta tested under another name ... anybody got any memory enhancing pills because I have only demoed 2 games and the other was a TM so you think I would have remembered quicker.

My comments at the time of the beta was that it was a good game but too easy so I am hoping that they have made it a bit more challenging in the advanced mode. I said I would buy it when it came out and I have so I now know how I will be spending my Saturday afternoon. ... Ciao

C

cherbtoo, I'm so glad you came up with the answer! I was puzzled by the same deja vu but wasn't as bright as you. It took reading your post for me to realize the game is familiar because I beta tested it a while ago. Thanks for solving the mystery!

[Post New]by gamergirl35 on Sep 11, 10 8:24 AM
I was about 45 minutes into the demo and the game developed a glitch. At the great pyramid when matching the scarb's the screen will not go back to the pyramid. I tried closing the program and reopening but the game was saved at the same location.

I am not going to buy a game that has glitches.

Sorry, I would have liked to continue the story.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 11, 10 8:56 AM
Can't say I disliked the game, graphics are nice, turned the music off as it was a bit annoying. Easy to play, little games up to my standard but I had to realise I was playing along quietly bored. Nearly , so not a buy for me.

Moto26261
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Moto26261 on Sep 11, 10 9:31 AM
It's an "OK" game, but not interesting enough to spend $6.99 on. I found the game play a bit too obvious and it has one of my pet hates..when you know you're going to need something, but it won't let you pick it up until the 'right time', I much prefer picking things up as I spot them and then figuring out for myself where to use them. That said, it's got nice graphics ,pleasant music and is relaxing- just not for me at full price, though would probably buy it as a DD.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Sep 11, 10 9:51 AM
I was immediately turned off by the distorted images in the opening. Next, I too got the black screen and no help with the Hint. I clicked all over the sceeen and still got no light. The only good thing i can say is there seems to be no penalty for random clicking unless that was only shown somewhere in the black screen.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Sep 11, 10 10:30 AM
DECISIONS,,decisions

i want to buy the game from yesterday & NOW THIS 1

but

ONLY "1" code left. Payday until the 17th.

Enny menny, monny....MOE

Happy Gaming

PEN

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Sep 11, 10 11:40 AM
I am lousy at adventure games (but getting a bit better with practice). I need a lot of help with them but I hate to leave a game to go to a walkthrough. In fact, if I find myself doing that too often, I will delete a game because I'm just not enjoying it. Therefore, I really appreciate it when the walkthrough is built into the game. For that reason, I expected to like this game. I played the demo for about 37 minutes and just got bored to tears. The puzzles were too familiar and I was given answers before I asked for them. It started to feel almost like the game was playing itself and I was just facilitating it. Yeah, I could have played without the generous hints but I want the hints when I need them. Admittedly, I have a lot of good games and I don't envy the developers trying to come up with one that can thrill me. But keep trying, please!

birdie5
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by birdie5 on Sep 11, 10 11:49 AM
I am 45 minutes into the demo and am really enjoying the game. The hint system is great so I don't have to rack my brain on what to do--have enough of that all week at work. I would like to buy it but my concern is that there are a lot of entries stating there are glitches. I have not had one yet but has anyone completed the game without a glitch?

Go to: