bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Love Ahoy

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 12, 10 12:05 AM
Love Ahoy! Get passengers to meet and mingle by day in order to reveal their hidden interests. By night, get compatible couples to dance in order to create romance. With success, you can expand operations to new ports, earn awesome upgrades for your ship and eventually expand your fleet with larger ships, all the while using your Time Management talents to get promoted to Passenger Services Director!

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

Re:Love Ahoy

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Sep 12, 10 12:17 AM
Well, I won't be playing the final version till tomorrow morning as it's 3:15 am here now but already bought the game. Beta tested this game twice. Last time I played they had made major improvements over the first time and I have faith that they probably continued on the same path.

It's a cute theme - you're a cruise director and you get to play matchmaker to couples on board - first matching their interests and then setting them up for dates on the dancefloor. Last I played it (will update review tomorrow), it was a decently fun TM game. Not the best, certainly not the worst. Definitely worth demoing

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 12, 10 12:19 AM
Wellll......
First off I have to say that I don't generally like the time management games. But at least this one has a new fresh idea.
This one will appeal to those who want to add that one more TM game to their list and this one does have a new twist. Literally. I think thats the "Twist" they are dancing to here.
The "romance" is similar to the recent "Making Mr. Right".

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Sep 12, 10 12:43 AM
I dont like TM games, but I cant complain. BF has given a lot of the ones I like in the past few weeks.

Saturn1985
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by Saturn1985 on Sep 12, 10 1:33 AM
I was sooo looking forward too this game, and now it does not work for me. The screen simply remains black when I start the game. What to do?

syrionia
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by syrionia on Sep 12, 10 2:17 AM
Love TM games, so was really excited to see one today, but after demoing it I was disappointed. I didn't enjoy the theme, and thought it could have been executed better. Certainly worth the free hours demo, but not a credit, in my opinion.

[Post New]by missillusioned on Sep 12, 10 2:39 AM
Sorry folks, this is a no buy for me. I thought the game was really boring. it is very similar to making mr right as was mentioned before.

First thing you have to do is to match the couples based on their interests. Sometimes there is more than one match. Thsi is similar to Memory.
Then you have to drag the couples onto the dance floor and match them that way to dance. if they don't have an interest in common you have to get them drunk before they will dance. Day 2 is the same except another interest opens up. If they get 2 matches then they will get married.

I dunno, i just found the gameplay not that interesting. Sometimes it was too easy but it seemed a bit luck based depending on who comes out when and if they decide to get sick on the alcohol or not.

I also found it frustrating when matching couples up in star rooms (for extra points) the first person you click is the one who moves which can be quite frustrating when you match a couple by accident. Also I found when 3 dance pads opened up, it was quite hard to have all 3 metres fill at one time to get the bonus,

I found I got expert score without trying too hard and only missed it once. I was really looking forward to a good tm but unfortunately this isn't it for me.

krasniikot
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by krasniikot on Sep 12, 10 5:19 AM
I agree with missillusioned. I'll buy practically any TM game but this one is really boring. I was trying to whip through the demo to get as far into it as I could but I didn't really see any compelling differences between the levels.

And I was SO looking forward to this game, the graphics are pretty hilarious & I like the concept (being a massive cruiser myself) but it quickly became dull AND annoying. Not a great combo. (Don't require booze for a match & then repeatedly get sick on it! For heaven's sake, that's just not fun.)

I also didn't like the "only boys & girls together" gameplay as I could've made some great matches between girls & girls and boys & boys. EDIT: Oops, I stand corrected. I just got to the All-Girls Cruise. hahaha

If someone gets further along in the game & says, "Boy howdy, it gets great!", I'll reconsider. Or maybe just the fact that it's raining & I'm sick with nothing to do will force my purchase hand. We shall see.

EDIT: I did end up buying it so I'll be able to give a more in-depth review later. I blame the cold medicine. Also, I thought you HAD to match every couple for Expert but that's just not the case. That relieves some of the "annoyance".

Edited on 09/12/2010 at 7:00:25 AM PST

[Post New]by tonjaarmstrong on Sep 12, 10 6:06 AM
I agree with missillusioned and kransiikot. I love TM games but this game is very very boring. I was hoping for much more and was sadly disappointed. It has cute graphics and the theme is great but the game play is boring!

maricika
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by maricika on Sep 12, 10 8:05 AM
still have 56min of play luv TM games but this one is just not for me; theme is great-different for a change- but something just doesn't click.
apologies to those who like it, not my thing. faster paced and less of a hassle might've worked better for moi.

[Post New]by KitchenTable on Sep 12, 10 8:13 AM
I am a dedicated TM fan, always on the lookout for new clicking challenges. I'm also a fan of romance, so I had real hopes for this title. Alas, those hopes were disappointed. Although the colors were cheerful, the characters, men in particular, were not very attractive. Gameplay was too simple in the daytime matches and frustrating in the night levels. TM addicts like to win by skill, and the alcohol sickness angle was too chance-driven. Plus, it's a bit slimy to use alcohol to push people into romance doomed for failure, just to make tips. Ew! I won't be buying "Love Ahoy."

Edited on 09/12/2010 at 8:30:29 AM PST

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Sep 12, 10 9:23 AM
I don't think this is a time management game at all. It's a memory game which uses people instead of cards to make matches. The cruise idea is a nice touch, but the game mechanics are non-existent. Another "no-buy" for me too.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Sep 12, 10 9:23 AM
Wow, Maricika - 4 minutes? I can't imagine even getting through the tutorial in that time.

Well, I'm back with my official feedback. I was upset to find that they actually reverted the game BACK to its original state as far as the clicking in the nightclub is concerned. During the first beta, it required 13 clicks to bring a matching couple to the send-off state. I thought this was way too much clicking especially since you are having to multi-task AND handle other couples at the same time. Add to that that you must move people into the room and also that your send-off stage wears off with time (of course this happens when you are trying for combos) and I can't for the life of me figure out what made them decide to do that. The second beta, they had reduced the clicking to about 5 clicks, which I thought was a MAJOR improvement in the gameplay. Now they've gone back to the original 13 - I can't imagine anyone giving the feedback of "Wait! I want to click 3x as much for each couple!"

The only other things I noticed that were different is they seemed to add a new interest - animals, and they made it WAY easier to pass the cruise levels overall. I had made it up to level 9 (3 hours of gameplay!) in the two betas - and believe me, I earned every point as I had to replay several levels repeatedly just to pass. Now I was able to pass the level even with several "mistakes". So they must have lowered the threshold quite a bit.

Two things that I thought would have made this game a lot better are 1. varied locations (such as swimming pool, shuffleboard, ship's deck, etc) along with a little varied gameplay rather than just the dancefloor each time. 2. have the guests queuing up so you could actually see them and that would evoke a little more strategic playing as you'd be able to plan out your moves rather than just react to them.

I have never really cared for the bar portion - if you have to do that, fine but then don't make them wander off sick as it's usually only when you have 30 seconds remaining that you find out that you even NEED the bar. Also, that they will sometimes leave because of waiting too long is yet another pitfall.

I would give this game 3 stars overall - mostly just because it's something different. It is somewhat similar to Making Mr. Right - another game that I have to be in the right mood to play but when I am, it's entertaining enough to play for a while then shelve again until the next mood strikes.

Akamar
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Akamar on Sep 12, 10 10:31 AM
Dull, and ugly.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Sep 12, 10 11:54 AM
I beta tested this game and thought it was awful. I am loathe to try it again, judging by the video and screenshots. If you enjoy clicking things over and over again for seemingly no good reason whatsoever, this game is for you! Otherwise, it's just a disaster.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 12, 10 1:44 PM
I actually like this game and don`t think its ugly or dull. Hogs are my favourite genre besides tms and this game is a nice new twist.

Blue_River
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by Blue_River on Sep 12, 10 7:29 PM
I'm not buying this either. I was really quite bored. You don't do anything at all really. It reminds me of memory, the old card game where you make matches. That's all you do is try to remember where the guy or girl is that likes oranges or whatever so you can make the other one walk over to talk to him/her. I love Time management games but they are supposed to be exciting and creative. I think maybe this is a game that would be perfect for a 5 year old girl but not for me. Hey BFG lets see more TM games like Diner Dash, Doggie Dash, Paradise Pet Salon, etc.

[Post New]by kporemsky on Sep 16, 10 3:49 PM
NOT happy with this game at all, especially the levels where you match up women together, etc - not what i'm looking for in games where my young children get on the computer & play them. Is also really sleazy and not a great example to get people drunk to get them to get together - just a bad game all around.

sonship
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by sonship on Sep 29, 10 5:12 PM
I did not find out until I bought the game that they have a level where the women are dating and marrying the women. If this is part of a game you should let people know that up front. So I guess the next level is men with men? People have the right to live as they choose but I don't agree and I don't want to play agame like this one.

Go to: