Whisper of a Rose

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Whisper of a Rose

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 14, 10 12:05 AM
Join Melrose in her search for happiness as she enters the realm of dreams and fantasy. Meet the creatures of Melrose's dreams in Whisper of a Rose. In the year 2024, Science and technology are the focus of the populace, but Melrose dreams of a magical fairy world where flowers are the size of trees. Dive into this fun Strategy game and explore this magical land and go on an exciting adventure today!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Whisper of a Rose

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 14, 10 12:20 AM

I'm pretty shocked that BFG has this involved Role Playing game offered for the regular club price.

This was offered by the developer around April of this year.

If you get into this game it will eat up your gaming time until around Thanksgiving.

Excellent RPG!!!

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

[Post New]by equusjoy on Sep 14, 10 12:21 AM
Yikes..........not my cup of tea for sure. Small screen, juvenile drawings, etc. I didn't even last 3 minutes, and that was only because it took that long to get to the screen where you can supposedly play. Some others may enjoy this and I wish them lots of fun. Afraid it's a no buy for me.

Joy

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Sep 14, 10 12:33 AM
equusjoy wrote:Yikes..........not my cup of tea for sure. Small screen, juvenile drawings, etc. I didn't even last 3 minutes, and that was only because it took that long to get to the screen where you can supposedly play. Some others may enjoy this and I wish them lots of fun. Afraid it's a no buy for me.

Joy

Same here Joy! I am an avid Adventure Gamer but this isn't what I consider a true Adventure Game. I'm gonna pass on this one too.

honeybun3403
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by honeybun3403 on Sep 14, 10 12:55 AM
Ditto!

[Post New]by whitepriestess on Sep 14, 10 1:14 AM
I'm happy to see that the game is finally out on BFG (or will be tomorrow since it's open to game club members only today). It's quite a good game, very lengthy and unique for a RPG. I've played a lot of RPGs and this one is one of the best I've ever played.

It is an adventure game in a sense that it is a role playing game, reminiscent of the old Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda that I used to love to play. There are quests to complete, members to recruit in your party, people to help, etc. I simply can't keep up with them anymore, though. Real life keeps me too busy nowadays to invest in the latest Nintendo, Playstation, etc., games so I stick with comp games. If you like those sorts of games, then you'll like Whisper of a Rose. But if you're more into pretty graphics and such, then probably not.

Sadeyed
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Sadeyed on Sep 14, 10 2:30 AM
Is this made by the same people who made Aveyond, cause if it is then I will give a try.

Although Aveyond initially looked very dated it actually turned out to be a cracking game which I really enjoyed.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Sep 14, 10 3:13 AM
I'll bet this is made with the same game engine as Aveyond, but not by the same developer. Based on comments above by the posters who like this genre, it should be great. Sadeyed, let's you and me give this a demo!

Are you really sad eyed?

GrammaKj you are right! This is not an Adventure Game this is a Role Playing Game (computer style). I know it's weird that Big Fish posts Role Playing Games as Adventure Games and Match3s as Strategy Games etc. but really if the grocery store put the mustard in the jam section would everyone just complain about what bad jam this mustard stuff is? Cuz the grocery store couldn't be wrong, could they? I guess those customers have never tried mustard and so all they can tell is it's a very poor jam substitute.

PS I like mustard but even I can't go it with peanut butter.

[Post New]by whitepriestess on Sep 14, 10 3:40 AM
Sadeyed wrote:Is this made by the same people who made Aveyond, cause if it is then I will give a try.

Although Aveyond initially looked very dated it actually turned out to be a cracking game which I really enjoyed.

Whisper of a Rose was developed by an entirely different company although Slite is correct. This game was made with the same game engine as the Aveyond series, RPG Maker. It's about as long as the first Aveyond, I think, but this one is harder in a way. Even though the battles are turn-based, you can't immediately attack in battles. It's a little difficult to describe how the battles work but try the demo and you'll see.

There are many things about this game that I like and it definitely has wonderful re playability value. The storyline is beautiful and for me, that's the most important thing so other aspects, if they fall a little short, I can overlook.

Upon thinking about the adventure concept, I can see what above posters mean now. To me, this game kind of is but perhaps my idea of adventure is different from others. This is a RPG and Big Fish probably should have a category specifically for RPGs but oh well.

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Sep 14, 10 3:54 AM
Downloading now, I shall try to resurface sometime soon and write a review.....

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Sep 14, 10 3:59 AM
Thanks for the info Whitepriestess!

Yeah, one problem is that without knowing the history of its use, the term "adventure" could be used for just about every type of game. It's a pretty generic term. I believe it got its precise meaning in terms of a genre of computer games simply because it was the first term used to describe games that combined stories and puzzles with an emphasis on inventory puzzles and interaction. I've read that Scott Adams was the first to create this type of game and his very first game (according to Wikipedia) was titled "Adventureland". Of course, those early ones were entirely text based and so, in that way, were the opposite of the hidden object genre.

By the way, Big Fish does have a category for RPGs, they just don't include it in their "browse genres" area. Sorry -- I'm actually not sure exactly how to get to it, but I've seen it! There is an RPG area! But, in true Big Fish tradition, it also lists games which are patently NOT RPGs -- Match 3s for example.

OK, I'll shut up now and go demo this game.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 14, 10 4:28 AM
Glad I'm not the only one a little confused about the use of "adventure game".

I sure am getting tired of that throw away comment about something looking childish or juvenile because the graphics are a little cartoony. I've played some very good games that had less "serious" looking graphics; it doesn't lessen the game play in any way or make it suitable for children only. Give it a rest.

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Sep 14, 10 5:23 AM
I'm excited-- BF has not featured an RPG for over two months. Some people might not like the retro style graphics-- but for those of us who like this genre of games it is part of the charm. I was at first taken aback by Aveyond-- but within an hour was hooked...

Demiguise
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by Demiguise on Sep 14, 10 5:34 AM
I am glad to see more of these games. Sometimes it seems as though HOGs and the horror-themed games are taking over (ready to escape from yet another insane asylum?). Having grown up on the early Nintendo games, I actually like these and don't mind the "clunkier" graphics.

Enjoyed the demo and will likely buy this, especially since I have a couple of credits hanging around.

synthesis1
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by synthesis1 on Sep 14, 10 6:27 AM
Demiguise wrote:I am glad to see more of these games. Sometimes it seems as though HOGs and the horror-themed games are taking over (ready to escape from yet another insane asylum?). Having grown up on the early Nintendo games, I actually like these and don't mind the "clunkier" graphics.

Enjoyed the demo and will likely buy this, especially since I have a couple of credits hanging around.

I so agree. I am addicted to the old school and old school throwback rpgs and am very excited every time big fish offers one. Some of the things I love are that:

1) they are reminiscent of the old Zelda and Final Fantasy games, which I grew up with
2) I love the coloring--I get so tired of the dark and dreary games, and, sometimes, I won't even demo a game because of the coloring (I know, that's no indication of the game quality, but sometimes I do judge a book by it's, umm, color )
3) They are usually quite long and quite engaging games with numerous quests, sidequests and even the overall process of building up your characters as you reveal the story to engage me.

With that said, and judging from other reviewers comments, this game sounds like it will keep me busy for a long time!

Edited on 09/14/2010 at 6:28:52 AM PST

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 14, 10 7:11 AM
I have to agree with all the no buyers. I have no interest in role playing to this degree. I didn't play Aveyond because I didn't find it fun and this game is just too confusing for me.

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Sep 14, 10 7:24 AM
Thanks to all of you for the informative posts on this and RPG's. My kids did those back in the day while I was into the King's Quest games. I'm definitely into those adventure-type games (any more Syberia on the horizon?) but I'll give this a shot since I downloaded it. Maybe, if it's as good as some of you say, it will open up a new world of gaming for me Like I need to spend any more time in front of the computer!!

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Sep 14, 10 8:03 AM
If it's anything like Aveyond, it's a *must* for me. Storyline, strategy, extremely long playing time - wahoo!

Diamond71
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Diamond71 on Sep 14, 10 9:34 AM
I was happy to see that BF had this game,never thought of them getting it so had paid 20.00 for it at the makers site. Those of us who used to play RPGS on different systems,can now enjoy the way they still present the older type of RPGS.I stopped playing games such as the FINAL Fanesty games becaue they became to modern and got to futureastic.But for anyone who didnt play those I understand how weird these games would be to you.I have played 50 hours on it and still not finished.So happy gaming to everone who has bought it.
Always Diamond

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Sep 14, 10 11:27 AM
GrammaKj wrote:
equusjoy wrote:Yikes..........not my cup of tea for sure. Small screen, juvenile drawings, etc. I didn't even last 3 minutes, and that was only because it took that long to get to the screen where you can supposedly play. Some others may enjoy this and I wish them lots of fun. Afraid it's a no buy for me.

Joy

Same here Joy! I am an avid Adventure Gamer but this isn't what I consider a true Adventure Game. I'm gonna pass on this one too.

sorry - hit the button too soon!
Intended to say I agree - I managed 4 mins but only because I couldn't work out how to escape. Was really excited when I saw "adventure" but to me that means games like Carol Reed & Rhiannon. I'm probably in a minority here so I;m sure that others will appreciate it but it's not for me.

Edited on 09/14/2010 at 11:33:49 AM PST

Go to: