hogamefan
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

A heartfelt plea to ALL game designers.....

[Post New]by hogamefan on Sep 14, 10 7:27 AM
OK, I realise that everyone is different, but I can't help noticing the abundance of spiders in hidden object games lately. As someone who has a severe phobia of these infernal creatures, can you please, all of you designers, not put so many in the scenes? In this game, in nearly every scene there was at least one, and many times three of them.

I know some people will say 'what about snakes, cockroaches etc?' and I agree with that sentiment. However, it doesn't seem to matter whether it's a dark and 'atmospheric' game or a bright and colourful one - there are always those darned spiders.

Please spare a thought for the people like myself who even with a bad leg, can still manage to jump onto a chair in a split second if I even so much as suspect I've seen one out of the corner of my eye!

OK rant over. Sorry I didn't finish the demo of this game and therefore be able to give a review, but I was just too creeped out with the abundance of spiders.

Happy gaming to all you non-arachnophobes (I think I spelt that correctly).

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

Re:A heartfelt plea to ALL game designers.....

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Sep 14, 10 8:27 AM
I like spiders... The more the merrier.

mamachi
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by mamachi on Sep 14, 10 8:31 AM
This is funny I was about to post the same. In this game there are 4-5 spiders in each scene. I hate spiders.

Dont put spiders in every game.

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Sep 14, 10 10:04 AM
I don't think that game designers need to design their games around people who have a spider phobia. I think those phobic people need to choose another game.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 14, 10 10:20 AM

I used to have a pet tarantula with reddish blond hair that I captured in the desert in Mexico on a biology field study...I named her Esmerelda.

She would never come to me when I called her but she responded really well to meal worms. She was beautiful.....

NONONONONO
Manatee
Manatee
4,085 Posts

[Post New]by NONONONONO on Sep 14, 10 10:29 AM
jkuci- I had a pet tarantula that I named Penelope.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 14, 10 10:44 AM
NONONONONO wrote:jkuci- I had a pet tarantula that I named Penelope.

Esmerelda was a house hold family member for a good long time....I did learn early on not to put her on slippery surfaces like the top of the wash machine. She had no sticky-hairs on her delicate little feet to hold on to surfaces like that and fell off one time.

She was lovely, sweet natured and really cute.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Sep 14, 10 11:42 AM
LOL

I agree ! No spiders!!

[Post New]by Tchiquitamom on Sep 14, 10 2:49 PM
I need to bump up my number of posts, and this is a great place to do it! While spiders don't bother me too much... gnomes, pineapples and umberellas bug the crap out of me! Not really, but I must say that the whole idea of an object in a HOG scene that distracts is kind of a conundrum (sp?) i have to wonder if it's supposed to happen or not... BTW I LOVE BIG FISH GAMES!!!! Happy gaming all!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 14, 10 3:27 PM
There are also alot of snakes in games and I'm sure alot of people have snake phobias and come to think of it there are alot of mice, squirrels, rats, flies, moths, etc. etc.many people are phobic about those things also. I understand the Spider phobia as I am not too keen on them either but after all it is just a game but if they ever jump out of the game then I will be singing a different tune.

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Sep 14, 10 3:29 PM
i hate spiders too! these creepy games though need them for ambience

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 14, 10 3:43 PM
One thing I certainly agree with is how many HOGs use the same objects over and over and over. Including spiders, sounds of flies, cockroaches, umbrellas, crowbars, gramophones - gratuitous repetition...

(Sorry spiders give you the heebies... For me, it matters *where* spiders are - some pick a territory that doesn't bother me, and I can always find them in that predictable spot. And if they aren't finding bugs to eat (earning their keep), they wouldn't still be alive, so I figger the one spider spares me encounters with several other bugs. However, I've developed my own anxiety issues, and they suck...)

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 14, 10 3:52 PM

I'd like to see fewer boomerangs in HOGs and I'd be willing to develop a fear of them returning in flight out of nowhere .....if that would help.....

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Sep 14, 10 3:57 PM
I thought this game had too many bugs all over the place-didn't really think about the spiders, but there are roaches and such in EVERY screen-what is that even about? Maybe it's supposed to create a creepy vibe-it just made me not want to look at this game anymore.

Edited on 09/14/2010 at 3:57:31 PM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 14, 10 4:01 PM
brooklynblonde wrote:I thought this game had too many bugs all over the place-didn't really think about the spiders, but there are roaches and such in EVERY screen-what is that even about? Maybe it's supposed to create a creepy vibe-it just made me not want to look at this game anymore.

I thought all those insects and arachnids were in there as a comment on the cleanliness of the countries depicted ....in the view of the developers who came from another adjacent eastern european country.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 15, 10 1:48 AM
I have a spider phobia and run for life each one enters the house. Still I don't mind them in games, I do click reluctantly but I manage ! I'm too a little fed up with gramophones, boomrangs, hotdogs, pipe games, etc, but if the game is good I don't care.

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Sep 15, 10 9:07 AM
I love that the game features vampires-- but yet people are complaining that the spiders are too scary! Come on-- the game is supposed to be a little scary. If the spiders add to this effect well than good. No one ever got bitten by a computer graphic spider.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 15, 10 10:18 AM
A game that is supposed to be mysterious and and have a creepy ambience would not be so if there were lollipops instead of spiders all over the place.

[Post New]by JustDontTryIt on Sep 15, 10 11:35 AM
I can understand the concern of the OP, but, on the other hand, games like this one, that take place in old houses, and dusty cellars, attics and so on, are going to have spiders and other bugs and creatures. It's all part of the atmoshere to give the creepiness needed. You don't walk into a room that has been sealed up for years, and find it neat and clean, or bug free.
Games with a Vampire theme, a haunted house theme, and others of the same type theme, have to have the proper atmoshere. And spiders are perfect, right along with mice, dust, cobwebs, mold, water dripping, the creaky sounds of wood, and so on and so on. Nope, I say keep the spiders, the more, the better.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 15, 10 12:12 PM

I didn't mind the spider so much but the game had an overabundance of well drawn cockroaches and bluebottle flies.....

Go to: