vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

RPG means....

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Sep 15, 10 7:58 PM
Sorry to all you fishies who love this game, but in my humble opinion RPG means "Really Poor Game" in this instance. I usually LOVE RPG games, played 'em for years..you know, Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc. But. I don't know quite what this is, but it doesn't look like anything I ever tried. Plus, I just couldn't get past that messy school. Maybe the youngsters will get a kick out of it, but this old gal ain't buying.

Re:RPG means....

[Post New]by whitepriestess on Sep 16, 10 1:24 AM
Hi vonniefaye,

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if you've played any other computer RPGs or if this was your first one. There are plenty out there, some of which are not on BFG. It's definitely different but I like that. It gets boring playing games that are the same over and over. lol

And yeah, if you mean the school when it's dark, it can get confusing. But then, that's what walkthroughs are for. BFG made an excellent one for this game so I'd take a look at it. The maps are excellent and the explanations are good. Now if I only had that when I was first playing...

[Post New]by ladylight4 on Sep 16, 10 3:02 AM
Too bad you didn't like it. :/ Have you ever played Aveyond?

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Sep 16, 10 4:20 AM
I guess RPGs are not for everyone. However, I am of the opinion that the fact that the game is unlike anything that you have ever tried before is probably the best reason to try it!

I ask people who are complaining about the RPGs to consider this-- Whether you like this sort of game or not..... There is a significant group of BFG customers that really enjoys this sort of game. However, for every one RPG that is featured by BFG, there are probably about a hundred or so HOGs and about 50 or so time management or match three sorts of games featured. (Don't worry-- I am not going to start one of those there are too many HOGs threads). Why not let those who like this sort of thing enjoy the sporadic thrill and simply go without a HOG for one day or so knowing that there are others interested in playing this sort of game?

I really think that this game has been met with some meanness-- (not by the OP of this thread). I do not understand it.... If a game is not something that you like, why not simply choose not to play it... If you do not understand it, why demean it?

-Kala

Edited on 09/16/2010 at 4:21:17 AM PST

[Post New]by whitepriestess on Sep 16, 10 5:43 AM
Hi Kala,

I totally agree with you 100%. I wanted to say something about the attitude of the negative comments as well but wasn't sure whether it was just my imagination or if there is some meanness being associated. :/ I mean, I personally don't like that BFG has a lot of HOGs out a lot of the time and sometimes I'm like, "If I see one more HOG here, I'm going to scream. lol" But I don't make it a point to post negative comments on those games since I know that there are those who do like them. I do think that BFG should have more of a balance of different types of games.

So yeah, I totally agree with you. The game should be critiqued more based on how it compares to other RPGs, as that's really the only way to be fair to it. The same thing goes for any game-compare it to others in its category and see if it holds up or not.

memawclay2
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by memawclay2 on Sep 16, 10 6:37 AM
I'm just a gamer at heart. It matters not to me what other people say about the daily game choices BFG offers. I vote most eloquently (and silently) with my credit card with total disregard of popular opinions.
I think the negative commentaries are aimed at the BFG marketing team and not necessarily at players.
RPG's are simply not for every casual gamers taste but cheers to any and all converts.

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on Sep 16, 10 12:15 PM
Well said, memawclay2. I enjoy playing games. If I like a game, I buy it and play it. If I don't like a game, I don't buy it. Nobody needs (or wants) to hear my negative opinion of those games that I don't buy or of those folks that like a different style of game than I.

BFG is treading a very fine line between trying to make a profit and trying to please their customers. If they reach a point where they can't do both, then they are out of business. I think they do a great job of keeping things balanced; and I, for one, am a happy fishy.

Now, to keep within the topic and not hijack the post entirely , I'm really enjoying this game. It takes me back to when I was playing the King's Quest series. I thought those games were great, even with the somewhat jerky animation and the scene changes that took forever to load. This is a great update of an old, classic style, complete with smooth gameplay and fast-loading scenes.

Thanks, BFG.

RPG means....

[Post New]by RosePortalGames on Sep 17, 10 3:04 AM
vonniefaye wrote:Sorry to all you fishies who love this game, but in my humble opinion RPG means "Really Poor Game" in this instance. I usually LOVE RPG games, played 'em for years..you know, Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc. But. I don't know quite what this is, but it doesn't look like anything I ever tried. Plus, I just couldn't get past that messy school. Maybe the youngsters will get a kick out of it, but this old gal ain't buying.

Hi Vonnie,

Thank you for posting your opinion! Even the less than positive feedback helps us improve our productions. May I ask you to elaborate on your complaint? What do you mean by a "messy" school? (Aside from the bits of paper and plastic wraps on the floor, of course. Those pesky teenagers... )

Sincerely,

Founder of RosePortal Games
Producer of Whisper of a Rose

Edited on 09/17/2010 at 3:05:06 AM PST

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Sep 17, 10 6:23 PM
This is a wonderful RPG. I actually bought it without even trying to demo it. Looked at the screen. Saw RPG. Blacked out. Woke up. And was happily playing!!!!!

(p.s. If you black out and a game credit is missing.......does that mean you're an addict?)

Edited on 09/17/2010 at 6:24:31 PM PST

318Pisces
Clownfish
Clownfish
642 Posts

[Post New]by 318Pisces on Sep 17, 10 6:30 PM

what's a RPG?

318Pisces
Clownfish
Clownfish
642 Posts

[Post New]by 318Pisces on Sep 18, 10 6:52 AM
autumn_leaf wrote:This is a wonderful RPG. I actually bought it without even trying to demo it. Looked at the screen. Saw RPG. Blacked out. Woke up. And was happily playing!!!!!

(p.s. If you black out and a game credit is missing.......does that mean you're an addict?)

LOL Admitting is the First Step

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Sep 18, 10 8:46 AM
318Pisces wrote:
what's a RPG?

Hi 318Pisces....welcome to the pond!.....RPG>>>>>Role Playing GAme.....Hope this helps....if you have an affinity for the RPG games some other's to try out are the aveyond series and Millenium series. There are other's here as well......there is a very cutesy red panda one that I got that was so very adorable.....a little juvenile but I liked it.

Edited on 09/18/2010 at 8:48:17 AM PST

318Pisces
Clownfish
Clownfish
642 Posts

[Post New]by 318Pisces on Sep 18, 10 1:37 PM
autumn_leaf !!!
BIG THANKS!
I have not yet tried a RPG, but I will now...
Have a great night, off to search...
318Pisces ,
Karen

[Post New]by RosePortalGames on Sep 19, 10 4:41 AM
I hope you like it, Karen!

Sincerely,

Founder of RosePortal Games
Producer of Whisper of a Rose

Go to: