bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Build It Green: Back to the Beach

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 16, 10 12:23 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Build It Green: Back to the Beach? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Build It Green: Back to the Beach

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 16, 10 2:05 AM

This is similar to Plan it Green which I liked even though I'm not a TM fan or especially fanatical about the environment. It was just pretty fun.

The graphics and music are better here but on the other hand this is a pretty big download file for those fishies who have broadband capability or access issues. There is a relaxed mode available.

This looks pretty fun and its a buy for me!

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Sep 16, 10 5:06 AM
General recommendation: Buy if you like building games or if you bought Plan-It Green which was the predecessor to this game. Try before you buy otherwise.

I played for the full hour.

Graphics: Crisp and bright. A pleasure for the eyes. One of the fun parts is being able to paint the individual buildings which have vibrant colors.

Sound: Music was in keeping with a tropical resort theme although more variety would have been nice. The building sounds were decent although not outstanding.

Story: This type of game doesn't rely on storyline but there is a minimal one where you are improving the island's environment.

Gameplay modes: There is a choice of timed and untimed modes. I chose the relaxed mode but the timer is still there for show and you can see if you would have won the level. I'm not sure if you get more "eco-bucks" if you play the timed mode. There is also a challenge mode which is free-play and allows you to build a neighborhood as you wish depending on the buildings that you have unlocked.

Differences between this and Plan-It Green: I really loved the first in this series so was excited when I heard this came out. There are some minor differences.

The biggest one I saw which gets a thumbs down is the addition of repairing buildings. This is a pet peeve of mine because it just annoys me to have the buildings break right when you are counting on the income and have no materials to fix the problem.

The second biggest is that you don't have continuity of the neighborhoods. Each level is different so you don't get the sense of development in the area as in Plan-It Green.

The third is the lack of stars at the end of the level unless that is only in the timed version which I didn't play. I really liked seeing those stars pop up at the end for that feeling of accomplishment.

The music isn't as diverse as in the first edition. I really loved the music in the first but here it was just background and not as inspiring to me.

Graphics were better for the static view but not as rich in terms of motion. I liked in the first how people would work in their garden or take out the recycling. That doesn't seem to be there.

Overall, this is a solid game on its own but fans of the original Plan-It Green might be a bit disappointed with some of the changes in this version. It's still definitely worth a credit though.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Sep 16, 10 5:12 AM
Hmm, I guess my review hit the character limit.

There were two major differences that I should point out that both improve the game.

The first is that you can replay a particular level if you liked it. This can let you beat an earlier score or try a different strategy, or you can just play a level that you liked again. This is different from the first game where it was basically all or nothing.

The second is that you can purchase "Eco-Bucks" which allow you to buy cheats which can help (or hinder) your gameplay. There are various options that you can pick which alter the game play such as unlimited electric power or longer days which allow easier building as well as presumably cosmetic things such as faster cars.

Blue_River
Minnow
Minnow
282 Posts

[Post New]by Blue_River on Sep 16, 10 10:46 AM
I liked Plan it green very much so I like this one as well. The only things though is they made no changes except the scenery. I would have liked to see different architecture of the homes and different paint colors and more to choose from besides the same 5 in Plan it Green, also different recreational facilities. There is nothing different in this one but nothing better or worse either. When I see sequels to earlier games I like to see more changes in them besides just scenery. So I can't really complain, but I can't really praise it either.

[Post New]by somega on Sep 16, 10 1:50 PM
After seeing that this was released I tried it out and remember the many things from Plan It Green. Some of the things were the same but there are many new things. I am really looking forward to play more and find out how the cheats work. There have been some games that have given this as a reward where it does not work but in this case it was done very well. I like the fresh look of the game and the music does get me in the mood to be sitting on a beach drinking an icy fruit drink. I will be suggesting it to all my friends.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Sep 16, 10 2:50 PM
Graphics are well done. Gameplay is fun and easy to learn. This is a sequel to National Geographics Build It Green. I have to say this was a blast to play. There are two modes, timed and relaxed. There are "cheats" you earn by doing well. Awards are given for just about everything, or so it seemed. I truly enjoyed the first one, but felt it was lacking a couple things. This game blows the first one out of the water. It is well done as well as educating. The player learns about going green as they play the game. Total fun

It's an A.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Sep 16, 10 3:35 PM
Ooh, another good one - I feel like I'm getting severely spoiled this week with all the great games coming out - keep em coming BFG!

silentpages
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by silentpages on Sep 16, 10 4:18 PM
I totally bought this game. I am a TM fan, but getting old and lazy. In relaxed mode on this game, it tells you the goal you need for timed. If I get the time goal YAY! If I don't, whatever! I still get to play on.

boozysoozy
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by boozysoozy on Sep 17, 10 8:35 AM
This is a brill game, played it didn't even get to the end of the trial and bought it. I like all the modes, challenge, relaxed and timed and soooo different to other TM games, so many coming out this month Thanks BFG

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Sep 17, 10 4:14 PM
Just a quick note to say Thanks, guys, every one of you who posted in this thread. It's a definite buy for me, I know it just from reading your comments, each very informative and touching on something I was wondering about. Eddyatwork, you started this thread out with a really great set of comments, and the rest of you added to them. Thanks, all. I'm off to buy it.

Gemcats
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Gemcats on Sep 17, 10 6:25 PM
Am I the only one that gets a bit uhmm upset with the long loading time for each level?

[Post New]by Bellahabile on Sep 17, 10 8:53 PM
I agree with eddyatwork. The game has been a blast for me as well. The only 2 problems that I have had is that the buttons to the steele home styles are all off by one. They need to be shifted 1 to the left. Also with the barrel mini-game, it flips the cards so slowly seems impossible to win.

I rarely ever get enough punches on my game club card to get the freebie, but last month I did, and I am well on my way for this months card freebie! I was soooo getting tired of all the HOB games so I am with boozysoozy, keep the TM games coming!!

emerance
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

Nice game but the "bonus games" are infuriating and repairs are too frequent

[Post New]by emerance on Sep 18, 10 6:16 PM
I have not yet been able to win a bonus game, so I can't get the eco-bucks. The timer (one minute) simply runs out just as I'm finishing.

I also find it very difficult to get things fit in the goal because my buildings keep needing repair and I don't have enough money or materials.I had to replay one level three times because I couldn't get through a single cycle without losing $$ due to a stupid building needing repairing - even if I just finished building it!!!!

The popup woman is also irritating. Nothing annoys me more than being reminded that I don't have enough materials when I'm struggling...

Overall, a good game, but I agree with those that said the first was better.

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Sep 19, 10 12:52 AM
The mini barrel game took 35 seconds to turn over one card and yet it only gives you 1 minute to play it - that is ridiculous.

The buildings needing repair all the time, especially as soon as it has finished is really annoying and that woman - if she appears again I am going to throw something at her but...

all that being said I am enjoying the challenge and have only complete 36% of the game.

I think it will take me from now to Christmas 2020 to actually get through it but I will.

Finally a worhtwhile game after a lot of complete duds.

crea8ive
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by crea8ive on Sep 20, 10 1:12 AM
I liked this game. I have finished it on timed mode and most of the levels were easy to get. I only had to do about 5 for a second time to get within the goal time so it could have been a bit harder.

I would like it more if there was more strategy required. There are a couple of faults with it, when you click on stainless steel houses the swimming pool one on the left often doesn't build, the one in the middle builds instead? yes, I am clicking on the right one.

I didn't manage to sort the trash in the time except for the first level, not a problem I usually have so not sure if it was my mouse or technique. I shtere an option to replay them?. I did manage to match all the cards up in time though. Nice graphics, music was good too. There is a lot of concrete and road and not many trees for a beach island!

[Post New]by kamots on Sep 20, 10 2:17 PM
I like it, and even though I'm stuck on the Port and the downtown lots, I'll get it sooner or later. I like a challenge.
I love most building and farm games, so this was just up my alley.

Now if anyone has any tips for the Port area, round 1, let me know :-)

Thanks, and have fun
Lori

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 22, 10 6:00 AM
I don`t like this game very much - I have bought Plan it green (the first part of the series) for a few months, but get bored after a while and have never finished it. So, I don`t need another - very similar - game. Happy gaming.

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Sep 23, 10 12:39 AM
I like this game, mainly because it is not as rigid as most games of this genre.
What I mean by the above comment is that you can choose what direction you want to go in, you get to choose which area of the island you want to make better.

Usually with these games I find them very stressful and get myself wound up, but these one was much more easy going, even on the timed mode.

Very simple goals, as in goals that are easy to understand. Sometimes with these games there are so many different rules and regulations and ways to do things you forget everything you have learnt.

Nice game and one to be considered.

dazzer109
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by dazzer109 on Sep 24, 10 8:47 AM
i really enjoyed the first game of these and TM games are my favorite. unfortunetly i stopped playing this near the end as it was so slow and boring. the days take so long and you never have enough materials. the repairing of buildings is also terrible as you have to wait so long for the days to past to have enough money. would not reccomend this to anyone. bore bore bore

Go to: