bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Victorian Mysteries: Woman in White

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 17, 10 12:12 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Victorian Mysteries: Woman in White? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Victorian Mysteries: Woman in White

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Sep 17, 10 12:48 AM
Nice graphics and music of the period. Voice overs are done well. Junk pile style HOG scenes but objects are not overly difficult to find though the graphics here could have been a bit crisper but have seen much worse. If I'm not mistaken the stories about the Woman in White are based on a main character who is a ghost. There are two levels of play casual and expert with the normal differences between the two. No timer but over clicking will get you a crazy cursor for a bit. Did not have any download issues as others appear to have experienced however the hint button....an owl...is not working in my game. Am going to check other areas to see if there are items that need to be collected to charge it up. So far looks like a pretty decent game and story.

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Sep 17, 10 1:05 AM
love the dark and spooky feel of the game. it is more searching for inventory than hog scenes as i picked up more items in each scene and only 2 hog scenes so far. i believe this game will be more of an adventure type than the typical ihog. there is no option for custom cursor but i haven't had any issues with the cursor in this game. music not too intrusive and graphics are a little dark and gray. make sure you move your mouse all over each scene as you may miss something. it seems that you have to have a key to open any doors in this game. i also noticed that on some closeup scenes that you cannot use a hint, don't know what is up with that, but on hog scenes you can use a hint.

i give this game 3 1/2 out of 5.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Sep 17, 10 1:25 AM
Very good game, intriguing plot, and "creepy" mood. The Adventure mode is free clickable, but if you enter a "pocket" object screen, each 4 wrong clicks you get a penalty of whirling pointer, that hurt your eyes (developers, attention, better freeze the pointer - less headache)!

The hint button doesn't work in the first chapter, which drives you quite crazy! After that it is fixed.

Bought it, with hope that some patch will be issued...

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Sep 17, 10 1:30 AM
Cannot wait to see what I need the eggs for! LOL!

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Sep 17, 10 1:33 AM
Coincidently, someone had just recommended this book to me, so I was really interested to see what the game's like. So far, it's just the kind of iHOG/adventure game I like...lots of searching and matching up of items, and going in and out of scenes. I didnt get too far in the demo; I'm usually slow at these things. I chose expert mode with slower hints and no sparkles, and found it's one of those games where you have to mouse over everything to be sure nothing gets missed.
No option for cursor, but it works well. When you enter each closeup scene, there is an annoying musical duh duh duh DA! There is an option to mute music.
When I finished the demo, I had tons of inventory items yet to be used...look forward to finding what to do with them!

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Sep 17, 10 1:53 AM

Just my cup of tea.

Running around gathering up my stuff to get my chores done so I can play/paint.

Graphics are wonderful.

Music is fine.

Sound effects are VERY annoying! First time I have ever gone in and adjusted sound to lower than music. Dramatic sounds when putting a key in a door? Not really needed.

The older sister seems more creepy than the 'Woman in White' LOL

This is a buy for me.

Angel

FATRC
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by FATRC on Sep 17, 10 1:55 AM
so glad to see i wasnt the only one who found that the hint button wouldnt work in the first hidden object scene i thought it was just me and i was about to delete until i checked here thks guys!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 17, 10 2:20 AM
CasualGran wrote:Seems an interesting IHOG.

Music is nice too, but gets a bit dominant after a while, so I muted it.
The sound you hear when you click on a right object annoyed me, but maybe that's just me.

I agree and am now playing it without the sound on.

In adventure type games where you have to pick up items that are scattered willy nilly throughout the different scenes what on earth was the developer thinking when he made the cursor go ape for wrong clicking ... it is not just a little loop de loop which is annoying at the best of times ...

this loop de loop is the size of your computer screen
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why oh why do developers put this sort of thing in a game as it is no skin off their noses how many times we wrong click nor does it make any difference to the game whatsover all it does is make us really p'd off.

Wrong clicking is usually caused by frustration at not being able to find the object we are looking for. In the first scene you have to find a Mane ... silly me I was looking for hair of some sort be it horses, lion or even long human hair ... I spent a very frustrated time clicking on everything until I discovered what it was ... mane is not the right description for this object IMO .

When I wanted the hint button it didn't work ... when I didn't want it I tried it to see what would happen and it worked ... go figure .

Just a little hint ... you can open drawers in hidden object scenes.

I like the concept of the game very much and I have enjoyed it so far apart from the blankety blank cursor which is stopping me from rushing to buy it at this point in time.

Cherb

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 17, 10 3:15 AM
Lovely graphics, as for the music is a beginner practising ? Turned it off. Only played a bit of the demo but that's just the kind of game I love. A buy for me. (in the first hidden object scene the hint button didn't work, eventually it worked in other scenes...)

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Sep 17, 10 3:33 AM
The gameplay is pretty standard modern IHOG genre: hidden object scenes, mini-puzzles, and non-puzzle inventory use. The game is based on the classic Victorian novel, The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

I enjoyed the demo and played the full hour. The gameplay never felt inspired or original but was mostly enjoyable. The writing and voice acting were both fairly solid. Weak points for me were audio levels and the mini-puzzles.

No one else has mentioned it, so this may be a peculiarity of some sound cards, but on my computer the voice audio was softer than either the music or background noises, nor could it be separately adjusted.

Probably a bigger problem for many of us is that the mini-puzzles were almost insultingly easy. When I came across a type I didn't like I was grateful for the ease, but the rest of the time it felt pointless to even have the puzzles. Oh well, they still offer a change of pace. I played casual mode, but according to the description that wouldn't have affected the puzzles. I'd be interested in knowing if that was incorrect.

We've had enough great games during the last few weeks that this one doesn't really stand out for me. However, I love the story SO much that I might get this one anyway. I also got the impression that it would be a fairly long game.

bellamily
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by bellamily on Sep 17, 10 3:40 AM
I'm having alot of technical issues also. The hint button didn't work for me at first. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and now its working fine.

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Sep 17, 10 4:14 AM

Good Morning Fishies

The walkthrough for Victorian Mysteries: Woman in White is posted on the Big Fish Games Blog and can be found here:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/victorian-mysteries-woman-in-white-walkthrough/

Just copy and paste the link above into your address bar.

Good Luck!

MargieB

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Sep 17, 10 5:08 AM
Sorry Fishies, but this game just didn't grab me. I really disliked the sound when an item was correctly clicked on in the hog scene, and then the hint button didn't work, and when I clicked too many times - I remember watching the BBC series of The Woman in White many years ago, and it was creeeepy, lol. This game is just annoying, at least to me. So I deleted it

Jen.

samisgram
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by samisgram on Sep 17, 10 5:12 AM
Nice and simple adventure/HOG game. No tech issues so far. I must be able to block out the "annoying" music in my head, cause I don't seem to hear it or it doesn't bother me. Yes, the cursor is annoying when it goes bonkers when you over click. Not many games this week were the kind I play, so was glad to see this one. Demo time's almost up so I'll probably use a game credit and purchase it.
I play a lot of harder games that can be frustrating at times, so it's nice to have an easier one once in a while.
Enjoy!
Toni

NaomiGrace
Flounder
Flounder
2,220 Posts

[Post New]by NaomiGrace on Sep 17, 10 5:13 AM
what would we gamers do without our Margie B .. thanks thanks thanks

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Sep 17, 10 5:29 AM
NaomiGrace wrote:what would we gamers do without our Margie B .. thanks thanks thanks

Thanks NaomiGrace, you are so sweet

MargieB

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Sep 17, 10 5:37 AM
Loved the game and I'll buy if they can fix the dragging examine this cursor. I thought the game was going to lock up several times. Evidently it just takes what seems forever for the examine box to open. Fix that and I'll be delighted to buy it!

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Sep 17, 10 5:45 AM
I like Victoriana and the graphics are nice, but a bit fuzzy. I am on a Vista 64 bit machine with NVDIA graphics, so they are probably drawn that way. Still the atmosphere is what I buy when looking at HOGS. This is an interactive HOG with simple minigames and predictable actions. Music is non intrusive. Optional help, 2 modes. Will buy when the hint timer is fixed.

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Sep 17, 10 5:48 AM
This game did not grab me at all, I love hidden object games but this one was annoying, the clicking noise when you find a hidden object is anoying. I know I can turn off the sound that is not the point. The mini puzzle on the door had no instructions so it was guess work I did not warm to the game at all. I will give this one a miss perhaps the othe great games spoil me for this one. Please try it before you buy, I noticed some people turned off the sound but when they buy a game you should be able to enjoy the whole game. The hint owl was a problem as well

Edited on 09/17/2010 at 5:49:37 AM PST

Go to: