bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Welcome to National Geographic ™ presents: Herod's Lost Tomb forum

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Nov 13, 08 11:00 PM
Welcome to National Geographic ™ presents: Herod's Lost Tomb forum! This is your place to ask questions, share tips, and connect with other National Geographic ™ presents: Herod's Lost Tomb players.

If you have questions about how to use the forums, please click the FAQ link on the right.

AlmostSilver
Minnow
Minnow
272 Posts

Re:Welcome to National Geographic ™ presents: Herod's Lost Tomb forum

[Post New]by AlmostSilver on Dec 18, 08 12:05 PM
I really wanted this to be a great experience but the game was way too short and just too ??? Don't know what else to say. Not one of my better purchases.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Jan 3, 09 9:16 PM
I was predisposed to like this game. I played the one hour free trial and won't buy it. Some HOs almost hit you over the head, they were so obvious. Others, even with the hints, were almost impossible to find. I didn't get a sense of excitement from it. I just felt as if I were trudging through the sites.

lwoodard
Herring
Herring
358 Posts

[Post New]by lwoodard on Feb 26, 09 8:31 AM
I liked it... But I love history so that why I played ... 4

Jerry99
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

The game is shifted to the right and does not fit on the screen- what do I do?

[Post New]by Jerry99 on Aug 23, 09 8:16 AM
I like the graphics and was trying the game, but when I loaded it the left 20% of the screen is black and the game is off center and I can't see anything on the right edge. How do I fix this?

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 21, 09 5:07 AM
There were a lot of complaints about screen size, blurry, black areas etc. But it looks fine on 15"widescreen laptop. Yes, some teeny or obscure items, then some blatantly obvious which to me just balances them out for enough challenge for me. Graphics are nice, historical. It has an untimed option, so if you take your time for your eyes to get acclimated some of those like beige on sand or rust on brownish rocks get more clear. Maybe just blurry or pixelated on bigger monitors?

I like the option to see silouettes by clicking the item name because some words I wouldn't even know what they are. Then there are hints which seem to refill if you wait that show you where they are, I didn't need more than one per scene. Then there are tools to use to brush away sand to see what is hidden underneath, and a radar thingy I haven't used yet. May be too short for some, but if not enough locations, I had to spend more time on each so far so won't be over too soon. I think I completed 2 chapters with several locations each in the hour and into chapter3.

A decent HOG for a Daily Double if you like the historical theme and tired of Egypt, it's a nice change seeing sites in Israel.
I'm buying it to be my 6th for Nov fest

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Nov 21, 09 5:44 AM
Thanks for the review Puzzledone, when I downloaded it today my trial was already over, glad to have a good word on it. That and the price convinces me

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 21, 09 6:27 AM
After I bought it and tried to resume saved game, I got an Access Violation error on my Vista laptop where I'd played the hour demo. I think what happens is the GM was lagging behind activating the purchase. I exited, waited awhile and went back and it's running fine.

Then I had also loaded on my pc with XP, clicked the Already Bought on buy, got activated and started playing to see how the graphics are on the 15" flat panel mon. Oh oh, after a minute it minimized to the task bar, said another game was running. Dunno what that's about but maybe game mgr wasnt finished doing its thing.

I had that happen a few times with Gardenscape where game collapses down to just title on taskbar. NOW I see they both take 512 RAM and I really haven't paid attention to those sys req on games. I only have 512 on my pc with XP HP Pentium4. Sooooo that's probably why games run fine on laptop with 2gb. I didn't have other progs running or AVG scan. But I did do DiskCleanup and defrag when Gardenscapes quit after about 10 chapters. Then it was okay. After a few chapters now I exit and go back or restart pc.

Just thought I'd throw that info here in case others have install problems..So many games now require more and more RAM but amazing thing is HE Devils Triangle worked ok and it says 1280 RAM! Maybe I didn't play that on the pc. I don't see how Herod's Tomb should need so much, not a long game.

Sorry, tech info, hijacked my own review LOL.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Nov 21, 09 8:12 AM
THANKS PUZZLE!

I was thinking about the $2.99 price for this one.
I had trouble with Gradenscape too. I had to keep changing window size to get it to run without a Rainbow of colors.
i am going to play this Demo. even if its short GOOD $$ for it NOW

PEN

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 2, 09 10:45 AM
Oh my. Just finished the game and thank goodness it's over. As someone put it, some items are really big, but about 80% of those are so small that you have to be glued to the screen to see them.

Interesting effect: Even with small items you sometimes end up with more time than you started if you find the hidden coins. So all in all it's an easy game, which is just dragged out ad infinitum.

However, kudos for the real videos telling the story, which hooked me to the game.

Bottom Line: Just okay, borderlining crap for 2.99, overpaid for any higher price.

[Post New]by 87mustangdeb on Feb 2, 10 5:12 PM
I bought this game & there is an option to play mini games. I clicked on that option & nothing happened. Anyone know about this?

erbusbee
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by erbusbee on Sep 9, 10 12:15 PM
I really wanted to love this game. I was delighted to see something with a cultural/historical focus where I could learn as I played along. The graphics were pretty, and the cut scenes about Herod were really interesting.

Unfortunately, the game itself was painfully boring. You start with hidden object scene A in chapter one, then do scenes A and B in chapter two, then A/B/C in chapter three, etc. By the time the game is through, you will have completed some of the same hidden object scenes a dozen times!

[Post New]by elianamo on Oct 17, 10 1:57 AM
lilyr wrote:I was predisposed to like this game. I played the one hour free trial and won't buy it. Some HOs almost hit you over the head, they were so obvious. Others, even with the hints, were almost impossible to find. I didn't get a sense of excitement from it. I just felt as if I were trudging through the sites.

Go to: