_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

DD for 9-19-10 3 Cards to Midnight

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Sep 19, 10 12:06 AM

This is not your 'run of the mill' game.

It took me a while to adjust to the oddness of it.

Once I did, I absolutely LOVED it!

Try it out.

Give it the full hour.

Fantastic deal @ $2.99!

Tell 'em Angel sent ya!

Angel

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

Re:DD for 9-19-10 3 Cards to Midnight

[Post New]by ajuma on Sep 19, 10 1:11 AM
From the reviews I've read, this is a "love it or hate it" type of game. There is a LOT of dialogue but it's well written and an interesting story.

Some of the puzzles are pretty tough and the HidObj scenes have you looking for things by categories.

If I remember correctly, you can play either relaxed or difficult mode...one has fewer hints and more things to find.

I LOVE this game and the sequel "3 Cards to Dead Time".

Give this one a try...and yeah, as Angel said, play it for the whole hour and listen to the dialogue!

sparkle76
Marlin
Marlin
9,781 Posts

[Post New]by sparkle76 on Sep 19, 10 2:49 AM
thanks angel and ajuma, you have intrigued me, gonna dl demo now....

[Post New]by missillusioned on Sep 19, 10 4:46 AM
I just trialled this and I really enjoyed the concept. It's like a mix of word game/hidden object game. The technique does take a while to get used to but once you do it is heaps of fun. My only concern is there doesn't appear to be much in terms of playability. You can adjust difficult levels but the rooms stay the same. So once you know to find say a heart, you will always have to find a heart no matter the difficult. Similary with replaying, the rooms are all the same. This puts me off buying the game as I generally liek games I can replay and I don't see much in this. Also, the sound on my laptop is intermitently working so I don't always have access to the sound in games. A lot of this game was wasted on me as I couldn't hear any of the skip scenes or instructions etc. Having a game which relies (in part) on sound is not one for me either. In saying that I really did like the concept of the game
So all in all I have not made up my mind yet lol!

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Sep 19, 10 5:32 AM
I think this is a great concept and a refreshing spin on HOGs. The cut scenes are beautifully rendered both in sound and animation. However, I found the objects grainy and difficult to identify. In the first scene, the "pad" just looks like a red square. I have no idea what made it a pad. There are click penalties, even with the Easy level, so you can't randomly hunt for objects that are hard to see. I really wanted to like this game from the opening screen but at least for my eyes, playing it would be very frustrating.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Sep 19, 10 5:39 AM
Misillusioned: As far as I remember there are three stages of difficulty:

Easy - find half the word connections
Medium - fina all the word connections
Hard - find everything on a different word list

Safarri
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Safarri on Sep 19, 10 5:48 AM
I'm going to keep trying. Like others I want to like this game. It's a different kind of HOG. I'm playing the hour in pieces to reduce frustration. Identifying items is difficult due to unclear graphics. Limited miss clicks is a bummer. A lap top is sometimes called a NOTEbook but this isn't correct in the game. UGH!

tedderpic
Flounder
Flounder
2,029 Posts

[Post New]by tedderpic on Sep 19, 10 5:54 AM
I already brought the game at full price ... great game though

Moto26261
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Moto26261 on Sep 19, 10 7:02 AM
There's quite a lot about this game that I don't like, the items are hard to see, the dialogue difficult to understand and not many hints. BUT I've just finished the demo and somehow I'm hooked! The game play is very different to most games and from what I have heard of the storyline it's interesting. I am off to buy now and will restart the game completely on easy this time with ear plugs!! I expect to be spending some very enjoyable hours on this one..the housework will just have to wait!

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Sep 19, 10 7:13 AM
This one's not for me, even at the DD price.

Items are too small and pointless to find.

Come on, I don't think I ever played a game where if you missed a click on a wrong item, you are penalized by having to start the search for things all over again! The small items make it difficult to even tell what they are, so if you mistakenly click - you only get so many chances, like two or three.

I want a game that's graphically pleasing but also fun to play and not so frustrating.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 19, 10 8:17 AM
For 3 bucks, it's a "buy" for me.

MySadie
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by MySadie on Sep 19, 10 8:34 AM
Not a buy for me. It makes me think too hard! LOL I didn't get too far in my hour trial. I'm sure many people will enjoy it though.

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Sep 19, 10 9:02 AM
Intense, intriguing, challenging and very unique! Defintely not run-of-the mill. I'm buying it and checking out the sequel someone mentioned as well.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Sep 19, 10 9:47 AM
Wow - I don't know how I missed this the first time it was offered. You have to find the object that completes a word eg you have to find a top in the scene if the word is hat etc etc. A really different concept. The story is compelling and the puzzles are doable if a bit on the hard side. I think this game is challenging and certainly you need to think hard but I am loving the difficulty.

It is a long game I reckon as I am doing the chapters over to make sure I get the highest score. Thanks BF for a game that stretches me and at the DD price an absolute bargain.

Warning: not for those who think the tarot is evil!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 19, 10 11:27 AM

I have always meant to buy this game as I've heard its really GREAT but as I'm trying it today I see that it will only play in windowed mode on my computer which makes it very hard to see the objects.
It does seem to be a very good game and story so, I'm buying it today at the DD price for future computer purchase gaming/viewing.......
Thanks, BFG!

birdie5
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by birdie5 on Sep 19, 10 11:55 AM
The story is keeping me intrigued and I enjoy the word game aspect. The graphics are grainy but I can identify them and do not think they are too small. Challenging game and I am playing in Easy mode. . . but also trying to follow the football game. Nice game for a DD and I will be buying. Thanks !

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 19, 10 12:19 PM
Oh, I see now that the only solution to the windowed problem is that you have to re-set to lower resolution and the graphics will suffer.
I'll just keep my higher resolution and sit closer to the screen - this game is worth it.

Note: the sequel "3 cards to dead time" doesn't have this screen problem but since its a real sequel you really need to play Midnight first to follow the story.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 19, 10 12:33 PM
It's really a different game, but I'm getting confused at the word association. What does the word "dart" have to do with "love"? I'll play through the demo, at an easier level, and maybe it will start making sense!

[Post New]by missillusioned on Sep 19, 10 3:00 PM
Laflamme wrote:Misillusioned: As far as I remember there are three stages of difficulty:

Easy - find half the word connections
Medium - fina all the word connections
Hard - find everything on a different word list

Ahh I stand corrected. Many thanks. I think you may have convinced me to buy it

neola
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by neola on Sep 19, 10 3:12 PM
HUGE download but, after finishing the trial, I was hooked. For $3 this one truly is a steal. Yes, you do have to THINK on the H-O scenes, but that starts to be addictive and a lot more fun than just straining your eyes to see an object. And with all the various levels of play and alternatives, I suspect this one has a lot of replay value. The mini games are neat and, I guess, weren't to difficult for me, SO FAR, since I managed to do fine in Chapter 1, playing the Easy mode. Lots of reading and listening, but the story truly is intriguing. It isn't your routine "find the feather" game by a long slide. I really like it A BUNCH! Maybe I'm among the fortunate not having graphics problems or, if I am, I'm not noticing it as a problem.

Go to: