I Don't Understand Game Glitches

[Post New]by JustDontTryIt on Sep 19, 10 11:00 AM
I read where someone else was thinking this same thing. If a game has a glitch in it, then why isn't everyone playing the game, experiencing that same glitch ? Logically thinking, if it's the game, and not the computer, then why are some of us not having any problems and so many others are ? That doesn't make sense to me. It would be like a damaged DVD disc.. That DVD doesn't play in your player, because it's damaged. So, therefore, it shouldn't play in my player either, but what if it does play without any problem. That would tell me that your player is messed up, not the DVD disc.
So, it just seems reasonable, that for all the glitches and other technical problems people are having, it would be because your computer is not up to date, or something else is wrong with it.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

Re:I Don't Understand Game Glitches

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 19, 10 11:56 AM
There will be something in common - non-Intel mac, Intel graphics chipset, particular OS - but you can't tell what it is from just one sample. That's why people have to let CS know. All problems are logged and most will have a Dr Felix diagnostic run for that PC / Mac. With sufficient numbers, CS can look for patterns.

jenkast
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by jenkast on Sep 19, 10 12:06 PM
Glitches are funny (sometimes evil) things. Your right about It possibly being because someones machine is out of date and sometimes it is the game itself (many times a combo of both). Glitches happen when you do a certain sequence of events that cause coding in the game to 'glitch.'

I myself played a game that had a major glitch, becasue of which I had to start from the begining. But if I had fallowed the walkthrough exactly, then I would have never encountered the problem.

But BFG is good at fixing glitches that the game itself produces, sometimes even those that the computer caused (like Windows Vista). There may be multiple reasons for any problem so the best thing to do would be to let them run a diognostic.

Technical issues are another thing, and are casued by out of date computers. Examples are the game not starting up, the screen going black, running very slow. Those are not glitches and are very frustrating because there really is no fix (not a cheap one any way ).

Good points you braught up!

Edited on 09/19/2010 at 12:09:41 PM PST

[Post New]by mommarose52 on Sep 19, 10 6:49 PM
the hint button in the maids room on the rung does not work help

[Post New]by JustDontTryIt on Sep 19, 10 8:09 PM
If you are looking for the rung, its a long brown piece of wood with holes running down the length of it.
Sorry about your hint button.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Sep 19, 10 10:10 PM
@ JustDontTryIt
Interesting thread & great contributions people have made!
Another cause of glitches can be when the distribution company, e.g., Big Fish, embeds the DRM (Digital Rights Management) in its wrap of the game it's releasing.
It does seem that rather a lot of games here require patches/new builds?
For me, though, on up-to-date rig with Win7 U, I've almost never any issues at all.
A cool feature of BFG's Game Manager Update system is that it will not give you a download of a new build if you don't need it, e.g. as others said, maybe the new build is to fix a glitch that involves a particular chip set only.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Sep 19, 10 11:00 PM
In the 85 (estimate) games I have purchased here, I've only had one other game with a major glitch and that was Snarkbusters. Days of frustration, member help and uninstall and reinstall finally enabled me to finish the game. I am not holding my breath for a fix on this game however - since the "clock eating the hammer" glitch has happened to numerous people and some of which have started over 2 times with a fresh install.

[Post New]by nanny1949 on Jan 3, 11 8:24 PM
I CANT GET THE GLITCH TO WORK ON THE WORD RUNG EITHER IN THE MAIDS ROOM. IS IT GOING TO STOP ME FROM GETTING TO THE NEXT LEVEL. THIS IS THE SECOND TIME I HAVE TRYED TO FINISH THIS GAME. THE FIRST TIME I GOT TO THE GRAVEYARD GATE AND I COULD NOT GET THRU IT. SO I STARTED THE GAME AGAIN , AND NOW CANT GET PAST THE MAIDS ROOM BECAUSE OF THE CLITCH ON THE RUNG, THAT FIRST TIME IT WAS NOT A PROBLEM. WHAT CAN BE DONE?

Go to: