bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Heroes of Kalevala

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 20, 10 12:39 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Heroes of Kalevala? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Heroes of Kalevala

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 20, 10 12:43 AM

I absolutely LOVE this game and I've already bought it and started my village.
The sound effects are important in any match 3 and the sound effects here are really good. A nice crunch when ice is broken etc.
I've never been a tribe or village gamer but I just LOVE this one.

Happy gaming!!

poopysue
Shark
Shark
10,858 Posts

[Post New]by poopysue on Sep 20, 10 1:05 AM
I like it too! I don't know what I might have to fight later down the line, but I'm always ready for a good scrap!

Edited on 09/20/2010 at 1:05:52 AM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 20, 10 1:20 AM
I agree w/ CasualGran. All very nice, but I don't want that timed-stress.
I waited on one lvl to loose, and at least: the same lvl can be replayed. But the 'warning' music got so dramatic, it made me feel really uncomfortable - it's like in a horror movie, when you know something bad will happen around the next corner - just longer!

The upgrade procedure w/ Heroes is similar to Heroes of Hellas. I didn't like it that I couldn't determine the use of the hammer (1st upgrade) myself, but at least it really hits necessary tiles.
Custom Cursor can't be turned off, but it swings just a little.

For those who like the time challenge: Happy gaming!

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Sep 20, 10 1:24 AM
i like the game as well, you can buy houses and trees and so on for your village. once you move on to set up another village you can always go back to another village to make it even bigger. as for the timer on of the things you can buy once you unlock it is a sundial and it gives you more time to complete the levels. the only drawback that i have that i don't like is that before you can play a level you have to select what hero you want to use but other than that it is a very good game.

i give it 3 out of 5.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Sep 20, 10 1:47 AM
When I first started playing the trial I thought 'another duffer'! But on continuing play I got hooked!
I never buy timed games, but made an exception with this game. I did find that if I had to replay a level it was easier next time round.
Up to my neck in 'tar' at the mo though :-))
Graphics could be better when building villages.....but all in all he best Match 3 for a loooooong time!

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Sep 20, 10 3:01 AM
It was okay. I played the demo for the full hour but I wouldn't buy it. Not my cup of tea. I am getting antsy for a good game! When you buy the CE's and then the normal version comes out, you are left with nothing for that day. Not to mention, the games the past few weeks have been less than stellar. I have been playing old ones which I normally never do!

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Sep 20, 10 3:11 AM
Sigh...I promised myself that I would NOT buy a game without trying it first.

Well, I kept the promise...sort of! I played 3 or 4 levels and really liked it. I've been itching to use a game credit (I had 3!) so I bought it.

THE VERY NEXT LEVEL was the first timed level!

Note to self: Try the game for the FULL HOUR next time!! And read the review regarding a timer!!!

[Post New]by overthehill60 on Sep 20, 10 3:14 AM
I'm very happy to see that M3 and TM games have been offered almost every day last week and again today. I realiize there are many BF members who enjoy these types of games and I hope everyone playing these games is very happy. I mean that sincerely. But I would really love to see a good adventure game offered soon. Hope everyone in the BF family has a wonderful day.

Edited on 09/20/2010 at 3:16:04 AM PST

Pat_ric_ia
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by Pat_ric_ia on Sep 20, 10 3:48 AM
Hi everyone! What a delicious game!? The music is so 'folksy' and the witch's 'wicked laugh' sounds just like a Tommy Cooper impersonation! I just loved it, until she 'got me', then the laugh changed to a cackle of triumph. The game is in such contrast to Jewel Quest Heritage (which I'm still working on! ... some hard levels or what?!!!) that I am finding it so relaxing, even with the timed bits.
I just had to buy it and was delighted to realise that I had a credit so it was a bonus.
Back to the pool to play some more of Big Fishes brilliant games.
Bye all and happy gaming.
Love Pat_ric_ia xxx

ducle
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
422 Posts

[Post New]by ducle on Sep 20, 10 4:03 AM
I like Match 3's and was eager to try this one out. The story looks to be a Finnish folktale, or at least an imitation of a Finnish folktale. There are interludes where you can buy things for and build a little rural village with the money you've earned from the match-3 levels. As other people have said, the village building is rather mediocre because the graphics are primitive and there isn't a lot of choice. As for the match-3 levels themselves, they start out easy and get progressively more challenging. There are powerups in the forms of "heroes" who lend their specific powers to the level. You need to choose among them, but you can preview the level before you make your choice. The graphics in these levels are lovely.

There is one thing that a lot of people will find a turn off, and that's the fact that the levels are timed. It's not easy to win the level once you get going for awhile. And I personally found the little graphic effect on each board a REAL turn off. Not to give it away, although you'll find out immediately, it puts the pressure on in a dramatic way. I actually found it kind of upsetting, but that's just me.

IMO, people who like Match-3's should give this a try. You'll know within the hour if this is one you want to buy.

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Sep 20, 10 4:43 AM
Ok, I've played for a bit longer and haven't given up yet! When it looks as if I'm going to lose a level, I click on the menu and restart with a different hero. As someone else said, the second time you try seems easier.

What I like: Being able to move the things in the village around at will. The ability to restart with a different hero or just go back to the village. The different villages. Looks like a lot of game play to get gold and unlock all of the levels. . Watching the couples go into a hut and come out empty handed! (Guess I've played VV games far too much! )

What I don't like: The inability to "sell back" huts or other things The timer!!!!! The timer. The timer!!!!!!!!!!!!! The timer.....

What I don't understand: Sometimes when I'm looking at the people, they have a hand over their head. I've clicked on them and sometimes I see a cloud and sun...sometimes a red X and sometimes they just jump someplace else! I looked for instructions, but they're all in the game. Anyone figure this one out?

I'm pretty glad that I spent my credit on this game, but I'll mostly play it when I'm wide awake and ready for a challenge!

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Sep 20, 10 4:52 AM
I played the whole demo hour and decided it's not a buy for me.

You don't start with putting your name in as a profile, so when you figure out when you can do that, you have to start over with your own chosen profile name.

There should be a relaxed mode on this and there isn't, but I understand that would take away from the "crow burning" feature.

The instructions for figuring out what people want isn't clear. You can see things over their heads that might give you a clue, but it's not always clear, and instructions to play aren't clear.

The graphics are juvenile and the gameplay is too easy for advanced players. Too easy for me.

The narrator is the same one who narrates for Drawn, so that was a pleasant surprise. I love his narration.

I would only buy this as a DD. But for those who are younger and like easier games, this is for you.

Thaletta
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Thaletta on Sep 20, 10 5:52 AM
What a shame!!!! Such a great game a Match 3 with a build a villiage add in and I was soooo looking forward to an excellent game with great sound and graphics and then it had to SPOIL itself with a stupid TIMER!!! Grrrr! So now what was a going to be a great game and a keeper, an intelligent Match 3, for once, is now being uninstalled by me because of a darn ticking clock!!!!! Very sad to see it go as it had great potential!!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 20, 10 7:17 AM
I don't understand why game developers can't automatically add a relaxed option to play a game. Apart from this one, there are quite a few other games I would have loved to own and play if only there was a choice to play the game in relaxed mode. Such a shame...

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 20, 10 7:49 AM
I enjoyed the village building part but I found the match 3 was poorly put together.
I just can't see buying this game when it has no relaxed mode. These games always get harder as the levels go up and because it's timed, so many of us will get stuck and that will pretty much end the game. It's just not worth it to me.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Sep 20, 10 8:03 AM
I like this game but wanted to know how many levels it had. I just went to the developers' website and it says there that the game has over 140 levels, so plenty of gameplay here.

cece2u45
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by cece2u45 on Sep 20, 10 8:15 AM
How do you get a gardner, etc? I am not to good at this kind of game, but so far I really like it.

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Sep 20, 10 8:35 AM
I enjoyed the game, but also found it unhelpful not to have the ability to create profiles. Only one person can play the game at a time.

I also didn't feel the directions were very clear about how to get 'gold' medals awarded for your villages. Obviously you need to make the people happy, but there was no direction regarding how many houses, trees, plants, etc to make/plant before you achieve that.

Clearly in the minority on this issue, I enjoy games with timers and I liked matching next to the crow to 'freeze' him. I thought that was an original idea.

I will not be purchasing this game but enjoyed the demo. Thanks!

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Sep 20, 10 9:15 AM
More than most fishies, I hate the timer!!! (I have stiff and painful hands.) That being said, there are some wrinkles in this game that make it bearable: the time to finish a level lengthens once you buy a sundial, and probably again later. Also, you can "stun" the crow temporarily by making a match next to it or setting off a bomb near it. It's like having a "more time" powerup. I like the graphics, the character names, and the music, even the "witchy" music warning of time running out. Also, being able to replay a timed-out level with a diferent hero (powerup) is nice, because it saves you from boredom while replaying, and you might get better results. In the course of about two hours of play, I've only timed out twice, slow and klutzy though I might be. To me that says the timer is relatively relaxed. For a pretty game with some nice original touches, I say this is Lisa-approved with . It would have gotten the third flower if it had a relaxed mode (although I would miss beating up on that crow!)

Go to: