bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Goddess Chronicles

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 22, 10 12:16 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Goddess Chronicles? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Goddess Chronicles

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 22, 10 12:25 AM

OK I'm only in this game for 20 minutes and I've been sent to the "time out" room twice already for mis-clicks!

Regardless the cartoony hand drawn graphics, this is a hard one. I'll try it again tomorrow when my brain is functioning...

Edited on 09/22/2010 at 12:27:43 AM PST

shawk
Manatee
Manatee
4,143 Posts

[Post New]by shawk on Sep 22, 10 12:32 AM
LOL me too, the funny part was the 1st time it happened I thought I had just "discovered" another room, the second time I read the box and realised I was being punished.

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Sep 22, 10 12:43 AM
I don't know if I like the sound of that! It's bad enough getting a wonky or frozen cursor.
It's a pet peeve of mine - not being able to misclick when I want to!
Will see what I think of the game when it's finished DLing.

Edited on 09/22/2010 at 12:43:51 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Sep 22, 10 12:56 AM
Well after what seems like quite some time without a decent Hidden Object game I was glad to see this one this morning. 30 minutes later I have had enough. I have been sent to 'the punishment room' also, come on, I'm 57 not 8. Also three out of the first five puzzles were the exact same one and it only took 15 seconds the first time! Now I have no pieces to find but it won't let me out until I find all the pieces, shouting "I have done" at the screen doesn't seem to help and clicking only threatens to send me back to the punishment room. Sorry but I think this is quite a poor game, I'm only glad I can try before I bin.
Come on BF, bring back the quality you're famous for.

Edited on 09/22/2010 at 12:57:46 AM PST

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Sep 22, 10 1:13 AM
nomatt wrote:Well after what seems like quite some time without a decent Hidden Object game I was glad to see this one this morning. 30 minutes later I have had enough. I have been sent to 'the punishment room' also, come on, I'm 57 not 8. Also three out of the first five puzzles were the exact same one and it only took 15 seconds the first time! Now I have no pieces to find but it won't let me out until I find all the pieces, shouting "I have done" at the screen doesn't seem to help and clicking only threatens to send me back to the punishment room. Sorry but I think this is quite a poor game, I'm only glad I can try before I bin.

nomatt, you need to click on a doorway (or maybe where the statue crashed in the wall). Its Not obvious! :| The time out room has basically ruined it for me. that and the mumble voice over .

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Sep 22, 10 1:14 AM
I seem to be stuck! No more objects to find but it won't let me move on to next scene down a well, and of course if I click around - maybe I need a lantern I'm thinking - I get sent to time out room. Did want to like this but.........
Found it, done the demo now I think I've had enough!

Edited on 09/22/2010 at 1:48:32 AM PST

magshev
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by magshev on Sep 22, 10 1:17 AM
I have to agree with the other comments, thought this was going to be a keeper..noooo. I cannot get anywhere, that statue ....wot does he do....been in punishment room for longer than I have actually played the game lol. Reminds me of when my son was born 21yrs ago, in order to give mums some peace they were put in the Sin Bin lol, not actually a bin, a nursery where they played soothing music to screaming babies.
Ok, back to the list and see what else is worth having a look at!!!1

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Sep 22, 10 1:18 AM
i guess i am in the minority. i haven't been to the time out room yet but have come close. i like it because it is simple but tough. some of the pieces really make you look for them. you have to move your cursor over every little thing and once you progress through the game you will be given different powers, the first one is earth so you can break through stone, the second is wind so you can move curtains, dirt, leaves etc. i don't what else there will be. i turned the sound down as i normally do. but i do agree about the guys voice it was very deep and hard to understand. i am going to buy as i want to see what other powers you get and maybe i will get to see the time out room lol.

this is a frog just to let everyone who hasn't demo'd the game know. it is a straight frog with no inventory.

i give it 3 out of 5

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Sep 22, 10 1:26 AM
I actually enjoyed this game, but the cursor is so sensitive that even when you click on the right object, that nasty little box pops up and tells you to only choose the items you are looking for! LOL. I only got sent to the time out room one time before the hour was up, but I'm still up in the air about whether I will purchase it or not. It might not be a real lengthy game because I had acquired two super powers and there are five altogether. The puzzles that you do to get the karma beads are really simple, but I like that there are ample beads and even more in each scene that you can get if you need them. Don't know how the music is because I turned it off. Anyhoo, if they fix the glitch with the touchy cursor, it may be worth a game coupon at least.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 22, 10 1:27 AM
I have been punished twice too, once deliberately because I wanted to see what would happen and the second time because I was trying to find an object to smash/move the lid of the box that I thought the pan flute was in.

It is natural when you have a game where you have to click on an object to see if you can pick it up and use it to move another object, you are going to misclick until you find the correct object and you must resist this habit unless you want to spend more time in the time out room than playing the game . You must look at your cursor before clicking on the object, it will change to a "gear" to indicate that you can interact with it. By being patient and slowly moving your cursor across the screen it is possible to proceed with the game.

The graphics are very pleasant to look but I had to turn the sound off because I found it made me nervous as it sounded to me like it was saying "hurry up you are running out of time".

There is only the option of the custom cursor but I did not experience any problems with it.

The hints are not rechargeable ... you have to solve a "ring plate" puzzle to earn another little bead/hint but you have to find that puzzle in the scene first. Some of the items are plain to see but others only have the tiniest bit showing from behind another one.

Will I buy it? I haven't decided one way or another yet but, having learnt from my punishment what not to do, I probably wil.

Cherb

Edited on 09/22/2010 at 1:32:33 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Sep 22, 10 1:31 AM
This is hand drawn. I HATE hand drawn games. Stupid. I hate stupid games. I realize that some people may enjoy being punished! What is up with that! I can't click on one item without being sent to another room? Did I mention that it was stupid? Maybe it has lofty goals such as gathering elements unto yourself because you are a god or some such thing, but I don't enjoy games like this and I will NOT be buying this stupid game.

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Sep 22, 10 1:38 AM
well.....at first I was ticked for time out & refocusing curse, then I had an oar & had to move a statue from the bottom before going forward, by this time it was pure OYEAH?! when I realized it's kinda fun! challenging & SUPER sensitive curser
sound? Dunno never used it
curser won't change
easy to get pearls/hints & I used them the second I could
maybe 2/5
more IF there was a little more direction at first.
once you get the hang of it (45 minutes for this old broad) it might work as DD

Edited on 09/22/2010 at 1:40:03 AM PST

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Sep 22, 10 1:38 AM
indigo_ladybug wrote:
nomatt wrote:Well after what seems like quite some time without a decent Hidden Object game I was glad to see this one this morning. 30 minutes later I have had enough. I have been sent to 'the punishment room' also, come on, I'm 57 not 8. Also three out of the first five puzzles were the exact same one and it only took 15 seconds the first time! Now I have no pieces to find but it won't let me out until I find all the pieces, shouting "I have done" at the screen doesn't seem to help and clicking only threatens to send me back to the punishment room. Sorry but I think this is quite a poor game, I'm only glad I can try before I bin.

nomatt, you need to click on a doorway (or maybe where the statue crashed in the wall). Its Not obvious! :| The time out room has basically ruined it for me. that and the mumble voice over .

I did click on the doorway, it says I have to find all the pieces first, which I have. I understand the door bit.

nixyseven
Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by nixyseven on Sep 22, 10 1:47 AM
The game would have been playable without the punishment thing. When I first read the complaints here, I thought maybe people were being too sensitive or something, but holy crap that's so annoying. Plus, I have problems with my hands, and I also use a touchpad, so it's not unusual for my finger to rest too heavily on the touchpad by accident. The nagging 'you suck' message for EVERY wrong click was so annoying, and actually taking you to a 'punishment room' for retraining after about 3 misclicks???? With so many items looking the same, it really look the fun out of it being worried about ONE wrong click.

Without those elements, the game would have been a pretty good little HOG, although nothing exciting. I might have bought it... but no... not for me. I can deal with penalties for rampant random clicking, but not for EVERY wrong click.

Oh, and the commenter who complained about the mini-games was spot-on. They're far too easy. A five-year-old could do those (many) disk puzzles.

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Sep 22, 10 1:48 AM
I don't like hand drawn graphics either, tried to like this game but it's just terrible. I hate it when the screen shakes after a misclick and the punishment room is just stupid.

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Sep 22, 10 2:22 AM
Which developer thought the wrong click penalty was a good idea? I like following the story in a game and this one is like watching a good film, but every time I move the wrong way, I get penalized by having to do 50 sit-ups to learn "how to move correctly".

And then I get to go back to watching the film and try to figure out where I was

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 22, 10 2:39 AM
As often happens when a game gets slambasted like this one has so far, I just have to try it for myself. I heeded Cherbtoo's words and was very careful, watching my cursor for the gear indicating an interaction was involved, I was very careful not to mis-click and get sent to my room for a time out. Guess what happened?? The game thought I was taking too long locating pieces and gave me SPARKLES!!

Apparently with this game you can't win - you click around to move along in the game and get punished OR you take your time so that you don't get penalized and it grabs you by the hand and shows you where to click. PLEEEEEZ!!! This is just plain wrong devs (Game Brains), it just is... You just don't make a game that is a lose-lose for the player - well, apparently you do, but I am not buying it and after playing 10 minutes of the demo I am bailing out - never to return...

I am off to dump this in my trash can....

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Sep 22, 10 2:41 AM
General recommendation: Pass this by unless you are extremely patient and have good eyesight. I hate to say it, but another negative review from me. I played ten minutes because that was all I needed. See below under gameplay and especially under the next post with "Penalty Box?!?" for the comments.

Graphics: I really liked the graphics which didn't look cookie cutter as in so many hidden object games. It almost looked like they were hand-drawn to me. The scenes were very bright and colorful. One criticism was that many objects looked similar and the scenes did seem to have a lot of clutter. Note that this is a fractured object game with some interactive elements so you may be looking for a vase or coin in many pieces and a piece may be under a stone so you need to pry the stone away with a lever to get the piece. Overall I did like the graphics.

Sound: Very disappointing. In the beginning the music overwhelms the voice acting so it is difficult to hear the narrator. In fact the very beginning where the initial story begins the music drowns out the voice so I honestly wasn't sure what the story was. I got more from the description here. A major criticism I have was the voice acting itself. Without the subtitles I would have not understood the voice at all.

Story: There was a minimal story but the difficulty I had in understanding rendered the point moot since the two scenes went by quickly before being dropped into a tutorial of sorts. Apparently you're trying to become a goddess or something, but this wasn't very clear to me.

Gameplay: Here is the meat of the review and I hope the developers read this because I have the feeling this game will be trashed and for good reason. There were hints but it was unclear as to whether they recharge over time during normal gameplay or not. You can get karma stones to give you hints and it's possible that you get a hint recharge every minute but I didn't play long enough to verify this. In the penalty box it implied a hint recharge over time. I didn't see an hourglass or similar method to show the hint recharging or to give an idea of how close it is before you can get a hint.

(continued)

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Sep 22, 10 2:49 AM

I came in to warn people about the extremely annoying 'time-out' room...

But I guess you've found it LOL

The full sentence warning for the 1st mis-click was more than enough to irritate me.

The chastisement for being better as a god had steam puffing outta my ears.

Then it sent me to go polish up on my clicking and I just clicked right on outta there, mumbling something about ohnoyoudidn't!

Oh yeah, THAT went over well!

Angel

Go to: