autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

Reviews- Today's DD - Fatal Heart's- September 22 2010

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Sep 22, 10 5:32 AM
I got this game awhile back, and liked it. It's kinda like choose your own adventures with a puzzle solving twist. I didn't finish it owing to a backlog of games but I do recomend this if you like story driven games and solving puzzles. the last puzzle I was at was the car one and I was having a hard time escaping in the car owing to just not so much time and no skip for the puzzles. But I found it fun and sifferent and will try sometime in the future to finish it.

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

Re:Reviews- Today's DD - Fatal Heart's- September 22 2010

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Sep 22, 10 5:58 AM
I've tried this game awhile back and went to see my notes on it and it says "garbage". That's the only word to describe it.

Tellah
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Tellah on Sep 22, 10 6:18 AM
I bought this game full price a while back and played it obsessively until I got all the endings. I know it's not for everyone, but I really got caught up in the plot and I'm a sucker for this style of game- sort of a Visual Novel with minigames/puzzles thrown into the mix. I think it's worth a demo if you like a story-based game, just to see if it grabs you.

FYI, unless something's been changed, if you're having trouble with any of the puzzles you can check out the forum on the developer's site. There's a walkthrough-type dealie for this game and a method to skip past any of the puzzles (there's a skip code for each of them). I don't think I would have gotten past the car escape either XD

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Sep 22, 10 7:22 AM
The graphics are anime like. The storyline seems well written. I dislike the constant lack of control and everyone is always talking. This reminds me of the old video games before graphics.....I found the mini games annoying and unskippable. All in all, this doesn't seem like a bad game; however it doesn't seem like a great game either.

It's a C. I suggest trying the demo to see if it's to your taste before you buy, even at $2.99.

octavia13
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by octavia13 on Sep 22, 10 10:37 AM
I tried the hour demo of this game, what a waste of time. It is definitley the worse one I have played. The largest part of the game is clicking what two teenage girls may or may not say. The mini puzzles are unskippable. Didn't even want to try and finish it. Just boring. Sorry!

[Post New]by LauraD999 on Sep 22, 10 10:50 AM
It's just way too slow for me! I want things to move faster, and I found the mini puzzles kind of pointless and slow moving. It reminds me of those first DOS games where you just keep giving commands and going from there. There just happens to be an anime background that changes sometimes.

I found myself clicking to read everything so fast, just to get through it, and it still was too looong for me. I am kind of curious to the story's end, though!

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Sep 22, 10 11:19 AM
I gave this a try and it is a thumbs down from me
Very amateurish - reminds me of a class project in a vo-tech
even at $2.99 not for me

emmychann
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by emmychann on Sep 22, 10 12:27 PM
It is not a puzzle game, it is a choose your own adventure with a few puzzles added. all puzzles are skippable if you get the walkthrough. if you like reading stories then you might like this game. if you are looking for a puzzle game this is NOT the right game for you, there are only a few puzzles and they're not much fun unless you're enjoying the story... so don't waste your time and instead recommend the game to any friends you have who love reading Twilight!

KC_Granny
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by KC_Granny on Sep 22, 10 1:56 PM
Is there anything more to this game than stupid dialogue? I just spent 10 minutes clicking through dialogue and doing 2 puzzles. (The puzzles took up 2 of the minutes). Absolutely a NO BUY.

minx69696969
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by minx69696969 on Sep 22, 10 3:53 PM
This game is weirdly weird!! It is totally boring but somehow i couldn't stop playing just to see what happened in the story. Got stuck on the car mini game and gave up. I am playing late on and my bloke has gone to bed and i felt slightly spooked about the game content, dead bodies turning up and all!!! I am not going to buy because of the slow going clicking business.....but i suggest that is worth a look to anyone else

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 22, 10 5:20 PM
The demo ended as I was stuck trying to outmaneuver the cop. This game is *almost* interesting. But not, IMO.

The girls who were the main characters, I could relate to - they seemed real enough.

The story seemed interesting. I was going along with it until the girl was trying to outrun the cop - the opposite reaction that I would have. (I would have been relieved the cops turned up just when I was thinking to call them to report this scene.) And that's the lead-in to the puzzle game I couldn't figure out how to beat lol.

Anyway, I'm glad my free trial hour is over. No, I won't be buying this one.

Edited on 09/22/2010 at 5:22:51 PM PST

[Post New]by campylaura on Sep 22, 10 6:02 PM
I have only been playing for the free hour so far, but I am intrigued by this game and bought it without hesitation. Yes, there is a lot of dialog but it is interestingly enough written and I am a fast reader. It's nice to see alternative game types to the usual hidden object, time management, match 3, etc. At least this one has something a bit unusual to offer. I do wonder if selecting other choices makes a difference in the game play.

Variety is the best thing Big Fish can offer - in my opinion - and this one is different enough that I am intrigued at the style and want to see where they go with the story. So many of the games are the same idea regurgitated over and over and I applaud new styles of game play.

Maybe it's not as slick as some of the other animated games but the graphics are fine and the mini games are cute - although I'm having some trouble with cleaning the house - how true to life this game is! Haha.

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Sep 22, 10 7:31 PM
Fatal Hearts Review
Fatal Hearts is an Interactive Story game with some puzzles added in. Players click through dialog on a fairly static background and make choices to affect the outcome of the game.

The Good:
Nice music
Realistic young teen characters
Interesting story
Nice to see an uncommon game type in this country represented here
Puzzles more difficult than most (and generally require creative thinking)

The Indifferent:
Some may appreciate the Anime-style graphics and others will not

The Bad:
Some sound effects seem to have audio glitches (at least on my system)
Background image doesn't really change an awful lot and doesn't always fit the action going on in the game

Who will like this:
Folks who like a lot of story in their games
Young teens who like interactive stories (like the Choice Of... games)?

Who will hate this:
Folks who like to have a more dynamic background in their games
Folks who don't like to read a lot of dialog
Folks who don't like games with teenage characters
Folks who don't like cartoony games

karolyneb's notes:
The thing that really irritated me about this game was the fact that the action didn't always match the background image - particularly when shopping in the mall. The characters are talking about buying necklaces and stuff and the image is of a food court. Sheesh. It would've been nice to at least see an image of a department store or something.

If folks like Choose Your Own Adventure games, do a web search for the "Choice of" games. They are available as free flash games or free for Android phones from the Android Market. (Obligatory Disclaimer: I don't have any affiliation with the developer but I do enjoy playing the games.)

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

Puzzle game?

[Post New]by LadyDream on Sep 22, 10 9:45 PM
OOOOOO! I get it! The puzzle is how to play the game! To skip a game, you have to hit F10 and type a code. Then it wants the puzzle code. ???? No, I don't THINK so.

I have the answer for the phone, but it still won't work. I had trouble getting the book to click also, even after I got the puzzle right. Soooo, I want to move forward and skip the non-working phone. Except it won't let me do that either.

I agree, this is like an early game. Besides, a book is NOT a snack, my cartoon tummy is still rumbling. It never said I got the cookie. The book puzzle was oddly blurry, although the graphics are not. If I got this game for free, I'd play until I got all the endings and then never bother with it again...that is, if I didn't have to stop and look up codes every few minutes. Too many good games out there to bother with this one. I like story driven games, multiple answers and the art, so it's too bad. But even as a DD, not for me. Any time I spend more time looking up how to play game than playing, I skip it. And luckily, Big Fish has given me a little trash can and I don't have to type in any codes!

crystalstorm
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by crystalstorm on Sep 22, 10 10:50 PM
I give credit to BF for offering a very different game.

I have to say I was very surprised to see as many positive comments, as of any game I thought for sure there would be alot of negative remarks. Obviously I didn't care for it. When I want to read a crime mystery I'll get a book.I kept waiting for the introduction to be over only to learn that the dialogue was not the intro, found myself clicking faster and faster to get to the beginning of the game. There was alot of needless clicking around, let's say in the kitchen only to to be told about a book on the counter that wasn't even there. I have no idea why they suggested "checking around the kitchen". Then at the mall, as others have said, the graphics didn't change to match the dialogue. The same as when the girls were upstairs talking about the things they were finding, I kept looking at the screen to see what they were describing but graphics didn't change. OK, I'm just repeating myself which is quite boring...that is how I feel about the game. I found it very irritating and didn't even get close to being curious about the end of the story...only the end of the demo. Didn't wait, exited after what I considered giving the game a fair chance to develope into something. I think giiving it 1 for orginality is the best I can say. I give credit to those who enjoyed it. Variety is the spice of life...right?

[Post New]by SCUBADANCER1 on Sep 23, 10 12:41 PM
I totally understand that this game is not for everyone!

I, on the other hand did enjoy it. I'm still enjoying it. I like reading and I like the story line. I like the fact that there are several different story endings.

The puzzles can be a little challenging, so I'll be heading over to the developers site to get those cheat/skip codes.

I'm glad BF does a variety of games!

[Post New]by nightingale0001 on Sep 25, 10 8:50 PM
Well, I'm glad I tried the demo first because I instantly thought this game wasn't for me in the first 10 minutes. I kept playing however because I got caught up in the storyline so I ended up buying it at the Daily Download price just to see how the story ended.
The puzzles are tough and no walkthrough exists here at BFG. I did find one on another site and happily continued the game.
This game is not for everyone. It is not a hidden objects game and the graphics are mid 1990's at best yet this game was released in 2007 O_o
The thing I liked about this game was mainly the storyline and the fact that it can end in several different ways.
I've finished the game once already an am starting a second round to see a different ending.
Nightingale

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 25, 10 11:46 PM
nightingale0001 wrote:Well, I'm glad I tried the demo first because I instantly thought this game wasn't for me in the first 10 minutes. I kept playing however because I got caught up in the storyline so I ended up buying it at the Daily Download price just to see how the story ended.
The puzzles are tough and no walkthrough exists here at BFG. I did find one on another site and happily continued the game.
This game is not for everyone. It is not a hidden objects game and the graphics are mid 1990's at best yet this game was released in 2007 O_o
The thing I liked about this game was mainly the storyline and the fact that it can end in several different ways.
I've finished the game once already an am starting a second round to see a different ending.
Nightingale

You definitely get your money's worth from this game.! I've posted the puzzle cheat process and codes on this forum in several different threads - if you get stuck or just want to get on with the game.

[Post New]by nightingale0001 on Sep 26, 10 7:59 PM
jkuci wrote:
nightingale0001 wrote:Well, I'm glad I tried the demo first because I instantly thought this game wasn't for me in the first 10 minutes. I kept playing however because I got caught up in the storyline so I ended up buying it at the Daily Download price just to see how the story ended.
Nightingale

You definitely get your money's worth from this game.! I've posted the puzzle cheat process and codes on this forum in several different threads - if you get stuck or just want to get on with the game.

Thank you jkuci ^_^
There were a few puzzles that I would rather skip. Codes and cheats are definitely helpful.
NG

nanny2x2
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by nanny2x2 on Oct 6, 10 4:56 PM

There's not one thing I like about the game. I played about 10 minutes
and quit.....

Go to: