Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

For The Minority Who Liked The Game

[Post New]by Sante001 on Sep 22, 10 10:57 AM
Since there are so many comments about why players didn't like the game, I thought that I would start a thread for those who liked the game.

My Likes -- Right off the back I would have to say that it is different. I played the full 60 minutes and was just getting into it when my time was up. Finding the parts of objects was just challenging enough to keep me at trying to beat the game without being sent off for "punishment." I made it through the 60 minutes without being punished. The trick might be to read the "help" section before starting the game. Since the hints have to be earned, I was glad that the puzzles were easy so that I could quickly finish the puzzles to get my hints (the only way to earn more hints). Perhaps the developers made the puzzles easy so that we could get through them and get on with the game -- As the game progresses you earn "power ups." I earned 2 before my time was up.

My It Was OK -- The graphics were OK for me, while others indicate that they don't like hand drawings. I like the mix of developer creatively. The music, again, OK. I usually turn it off.

My Scratching My Head -- While most of the items to find where listed at the buttom of the screne, there was always one that you had to guess. What was the purpose of that ? If you took too many quesses, you were sent off for punishment. Luckly, I was able to figure it out. Usually the gear would show over an object that was not shown.

My Bottomline -- I give the game my approval for creativity and "thinking outside the box." I may or may not purchase this month because there are a couple of other games that I have in the "I'm waiting to see what BF comes out with by the end of the month." Will mostly likely purchase with a game credit. and 1/2 out of 5.

Enjoy --

hilde21
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Re:For The Minority Who Liked The Game

[Post New]by hilde21 on Sep 22, 10 12:24 PM
Great review! Thanks!

bjmusic
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by bjmusic on Sep 22, 10 3:04 PM
Agree with hilde21, thanks Sante001 for a great review. I'm loving the game and grateful for the comments of those who really despised the penalty box and took the time to tell about it. Once I knew I had to be careful it was really a great motivator to stay focused. I'm close to being done and (so far) have never visited the penalty room. Yay!!!

As far as the items that seemed to be hidden, I may have come up with an answer. New items replace completed ones as you know, but once in a while I would click on a fragment and out of the blue, there was a new item that popped up and then went away. Just like you I thought - what the heck? IMHO that fragment was to be used in an item that was not next in line to appear. When that item finally came up in rotation, fragments had already been blacked out as found. Sounds plausible, yes?

The artwork on this game reminds me of Samantha Swift, so I really love it.

That being said, I am stuck as never before on the treacherous waters minigame but too stubborn to give in . Taking a break to freshen my grey matter. Glad y'all like the game, too.

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Sep 22, 10 3:32 PM
I posted on the "not bad" thread, but want to add my two cents worth here. I like the game, it is challenging once you get into it. The fragments are not all evident, the puzzles get hard. I'm currently trying to find the puzzle board for the 4th power up. No luck so far. The graphics are good - this artist did other games I've enjoyed - the music ok. I've not gone to the punishment room yet, so am not sure what all the fuss is about. My goal is to complete the game without going - we'll see. I'm not sure this game was given a fair shake - but the punishment thing was certainly a mistake by the developers to make so many fishies unhappy.

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Sep 22, 10 3:54 PM
I have to say that I really am liking this game. I think I'm about a third of the way thru and enjoying it. I did get sent to the punishment room, though....twice so far and I've tried to be real careful when I click on an object, but I still sometimes get that blamed black box popping up as a warning. I've been at it for over 3 hours and only have 4 of the powers so still have one more to go.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 22, 10 4:38 PM
I bet someone has commented on how "childish" the graphics are, right? That drives me bonkers.

Good review, you've motivated me to give the game a try.

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Sep 22, 10 4:48 PM
They did!
I finally found the 4th power puzzle, and must say there are some cute little twists in this game. I'm liking it.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Sep 22, 10 4:51 PM
I am also enjoying the game and have purchased it. The only beef I have are the signs that pop up, like we have to find everything before we go there or be careful where you click. They stay on the screen too long. I've also discovered if I don't find anything for awhile an area sparkles to tell me to look there. I like that. Some of these things are hard to find. I also like that the hints are easy to acquire and she tells me not to click on one if my bank is full. In that way when I'm really stuck and need to use one there is usually one available to replace it. All in all, I'm liking this a lot better than some I've purchased based on good reviews. It just goes to show we need to try it for ourselves instead of letting others do it for us.

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Sep 22, 10 5:35 PM
I liked it also and bought it. I found if I take my time I can enjoy the differences compared to other games. I do get the penalty once in a while but they are so easy it takes no time to get back to the game. I have not run out of hints but I haven't had to use many. I tried the demo and tried to rush because it was only an hour. But I still had 38 minutes and went ahead and bought so I could take my time. Glad others enjoyed it too.

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Sep 22, 10 7:02 PM
I, too, like this game - and also appreciate the comments about the "timeout room!" They made me take my time and slow down, which after playing a timed Match 3 this week was much appreciated. I always debate buying by considering the length of the game. In this case, I only have 2 of the "medallion/powerups" at the end of the demo, so I'm figuring a decent length. Plus I used the code word for today to get the game on sale. Do you think BFG put that out because the games in the past week weren't selling? I do!

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Sep 22, 10 7:45 PM
I found this game to be charming, different and challenging. Not so challenging that it was impossible or nerve wracking. I could have done without only having a limited number of misclicks. That being said, I did enjoy the "punishment" room. Music never bothers me as I can turn it down or off if desired. The "cartoon" drawings were a refreshing change from the "darker" scenes of other games. I enjoy the darker games but once in awhile I enjoy a lighter side.

While I enjoy an interactive HOG, I also enjoy a FROG as well. I have come up however from a HOG that is nothing but one HOG scene after another.

I am not sorry I bought it and would like to see more like this as well as games like Edgar Allen Poe's HOGs, Redemption Cemetery, etc.

My rating would be 4 out of 5

jujus1a
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by jujus1a on Sep 22, 10 8:39 PM
I blinked and the hour demo was up.
I did not think that I would like this game after reading all of the negatives, but since it was free and I have a day off I thought that it would be a good way to waste time versus doing the washing.
Once I got sent to the punishment room twice I told myself to take more care and to stop being so reckless as I have learnt to be in other HOG's, IHOG's.
It is a challenging game and you have to think but in a different manner to the other HOG's that you have played before.
With the TOPSECRET discount it is worth it to buy today.

My only gripe is that you have to use the powerups twice to reach the hidden object.

Rating: 4/5

Regards
Julie

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Sep 22, 10 8:49 PM
So glad to read all the great positive reviews for this game. I was beginning to think it was just me -- . I turned my computer back on at 11:30 pm this evening and what a surprise, BF had a coupon just waiting for me, I had to use it to purchase this game. Couldn't wait to earn the game credit. Now I'm off to play the game. When my demo 60 minutes was up, I had only earned 2 power ups, no punishment and lot still more power ups to earn!

Good gaming to all!

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Sep 23, 10 12:11 AM
Liked the demo and bought it. Some games are just meant to be 'fun' without all the seriousness of some of the others.

sylmide
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by sylmide on Sep 23, 10 12:51 AM
I also have to say i enjoyed this game, i find it funny and different which is what makes it enjoyable for me. I will definitely buy it as a light change from some of my other games.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 23, 10 1:05 AM
This is certainly not a game for those fishies who keep claiming they usually finish a HOG in an hour or two. This game requires patience.

I love the graphics - they very much remind me of the 'Samantha Swift' games. I also like the fact that it's a FROG. Minigames are not hard, and looking for those beads for more hints is fun.

The one thing I don't like is that if I click accidentially (usually it's accidentially - fingers twitch - LOL) somewhere on the scene where I shouldn't, I get a warning and the whole picture shakes. I don't like that at all, and I can see how that can become irritating when I've played the game for a little longer. Haven't been sent to the punishment room yet, but that's because I take my time and am careful where I click.

All in all, a more than usual average intelligent game, but those warnings and scene shakings are stopping me from giving it a full 5 stars I would have given otherwise.

Additional Just to see what all the fuss was about regarding the punishment room, I clicked about the place to get to it. I really don't know what the big deal is. It's just a little extra fun room where you can click to your heart's content and find objects. LOL
Unfortunately, this game didn't grab me quite enough to buy it. And I do think that the constant warning and scene shaking also had something to do with my decision not to buy this game.

Edited on 09/23/2010 at 8:51:33 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Sep 23, 10 9:30 AM
First, I need to say, I don't like FROGs. Usually exit out of them
after short trial, uninstall and put on my NoWay list.
However, on this one, my demo time RAN OUT. Can't
believe it! So much else I liked. I even found my two
visits to the punishment room funny. (You can't find
difficult, here's a room with easy) Love the
graphics, crisp and clear even for tiny items. Music
not annoying, cursor worked fine for me. Story OK.
Like the hint system where you can find more in
the game and also earn them in mini games.

Do not like the shaking for each misclick,however.

Minis too easy thus far, but others have said
they get harder.

Now to decide. Might need to think about it for a day or
two. But certainly IMO a good game.

MrMotto
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by MrMotto on Sep 23, 10 11:05 AM
Likes: Challenging, Interesting story line, graphics, music OK, hint system, objects were easy to find.
Dislikes: Constant dropping down of info when click was wrong. Once or twice would have been sufficient, and then just the rumble thereafter. Cursor was a bit sensitive, it had to be just right or you'd get a wrong click warning.
Overall, I liked this game. The few annoyances were not strong enough to irritate me. I wish the mini puzzles had been more different.....too many of the same ones. Definitely not a game that a person can rush through. I think this may have been the problem with all of those who complained about the over clicking penalty, they were trying to go too fast and if they didn't see something right off, they just started clicking randomly. I liked the over clicking feature, it was different instead of the same o same o. I got sent to the gallows just once during the entire game, and I don't feel it was all that bad a place.

huntington101
Salmon
Salmon
2,525 Posts

[Post New]by huntington101 on Sep 23, 10 11:10 AM
Don't know that we are a minority in the larger world.

I have 37 minutes left on the demo and have no complaints about this game. Certainly no rants.

It is similar to Sam Swift and that is not a bad thing. Have not been sent to the bad room, but I do take time to actually look for things.

The only burp is that any wrong click not on a gear/circle icon thingie, willl shake the screen. Well I did a bit of shaking simply because of the twitchy nature of my hands and fingers at times. So after the first shake, I moved my clicky finger to rest on the mouse wheel instead of the left click thingie.

I liked that you could 'collect' something even if it's picture had not yet come up on the to do list.

The disc pictures are easy, so far, but I think they are just a little break to give you another hint. Some games make you clear a 15x15 M3 grid, so easy is no biggie.

Don't know how long, don't think it matters. Will go on the buy list.

Chexmixmonet
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,816 Posts

[Post New]by Chexmixmonet on Sep 23, 10 1:17 PM
Thank you for your OP sante, because of it I gave the game another go and found it more pleasing and less annoying. Originally I tried the game out for maybe three minutes, go annoyed, came back to forum and read reviews of people who also thought it stunk. So...well done! And thank you.

Go to: