ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

PictoWords DD Sept. 23, 2010

[Post New]by ajuma on Sep 23, 10 12:29 AM
I needed one more punch to fill my card so I thought I'd check this one out.

It's pretty fun. You have pictures and letters and have to make words using both. There is no timer...you can take as long as you want.

I liked it, I bought it!

Re:PictoWords DD Sept. 23, 2010

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Sep 23, 10 7:07 AM
First of all, this will only appeal to those of us who like word games. I know that sounds self-evident but it's possible this thread will fill with negative comments from people who don't like this sort of game in the first place. Also, with so few decent word games out there, I tend to be less finicky about the quality. I judge almost all on gameplay.

So, for me, this game passes the litmus test of being fun and somewhat challenging for word aficionados - especially those who love pictograms. Here's the breakdown and you decide whether it's worth downloading and trying:

Good:
It's fun. Putting together various words in several iterations is always fun and this game delivers. It's nicely presented, though of course, graphics are minimal and simplistic. Don't be put off by it being very easy in the beginning. It gets more challenging (note, I didn't say harder.) With no timer, it's not stressful. And though some may end up saying that the pictures can be obtuse, I think that's part of the challenge. And once you correctly use a picture, it's identified for the rest of the round. Also, you don't need to solve all the words to end the level and you get to see the ones you missed (or didn't get to.) Bonus rounds are also fun and appropriate.

So-So:
The challenge becomes a self-challenge. With no timer, and no penalty for wrong guesses, it becomes a matter of either going for a high score (which can only be significant if you redo a level) and/or avoiding the easy words. It seems to give you more points (and thus, end the round faster) for longer words. To increase the difficulty, I just focused on the longer ones with a mix of pictures and letters. As with so many of these games, the words are sometimes questionable or abbreviations, but what's nice is you click on the dictionary icon by the word and get its definition. This gives the words more credibility.

Not terrible:
Why do all word games have cheesy, pseudo-TV gameshow music? Here, not horrible, but it can get on your nerves.

I played out the demo and wondered why the time went by so fast, so that's always a buy in my book. I can't speak to re-playability or longevity, but for $2.99, if I get a few hours of diversion from it after a hectic day, it's well worth it. Maybe you'll feel the same.

Edited on 09/23/2010 at 8:11:37 AM PST

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Sep 23, 10 8:41 AM
Great review, thank you! I like wordgames and will try this for sure.

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Sep 23, 10 8:59 AM
Thank you for the detailed review, littlegamefisher! I'm glad to know there's no timer. Definitely going to try this one now.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 23, 10 9:26 AM
Played 5 minutes and will buy it.

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Sep 23, 10 10:45 AM
Glad it helped for both of you. Hopefully, you like it as much as I. I've been playing it on and off all day (great break between heavy workload) and it hasn't worn on me yet. Some pictures are recycled, but again, I try to challenge myself by using the unknown ones first. Happy gaming.

SueB990
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by SueB990 on Sep 23, 10 11:19 AM
I really liked this game! It has a different 'spin' on it than your usual word game, with the addition of the pictures. Of course, it won't be for people who don't like word games, but I'm one of those people who does crossword puzzles to relax, so this is a definitely buy for me!!

[Post New]by GeorgeXXIII on Sep 23, 10 11:37 AM
I love playing word games but I don't have one on my PC and as I can't demo the game tonight I'm going to buy it at DD price on the strength of littlegamefisher's superb review. Thanks

minx69696969
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by minx69696969 on Sep 23, 10 2:44 PM
nothing much i can add to littlegamefisher's excellent review, the music is soooooo cheesy, it reminds me of that annoying music when you are put on hold on the phone (it makes you wanna hang up!). I played the demo hour straight through without even realising, it went so quick. Will probably get this one

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Sep 23, 10 3:05 PM

Enjoyed my demo.

Good word games are few and far between.

I love that it helps keep my mind sharp.

I have never played anything like this, so it is a fun new challenge for me.

Thanks BF for something different!

Angel

crystalstorm
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by crystalstorm on Sep 23, 10 4:48 PM
don't like to copy others words but in this case littlegamefisher gave such an excellent review there's not much I can add. I obviously enjoyed it because when the demo was over I thought my internet connection went out on me! I did have one thought that I haven't seen mentioned yet but if your monitor is large enough or 2-3 people sit close enough this would be a good game for multiple players (as it gets more challenging). You could make up some rules of play and scoring techniques and have a great time! I have never played Pictionary but that's what came to mind when I first started playing. A sure buy for me. Thanks BF for the recent upswing in the variety of games offered. Hope everyone enjoys. A BIG for this one.

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Sep 23, 10 10:46 PM
Well, it's late and I don't have much time left before I have to crash (big day tomorrow and must go to bed early), so I am also going to jump on littlegamefisher's bandwagon and take a chance. I usually try before I buy, but with such a stellar review, I'm going to buy first and try it when I've some breathing room.

I know any review I might add later on will be no use to current fishies looking to know in time for the Daily Deal, but I will try and give a note later on for anyone who missed it and still wants more reviews.

Thanks, littlegamefisher for a fabulous review and buyer's insight. I hope I will love it as much as you do.

Happy gaming, all!

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Sep 25, 10 5:04 PM
I thought I'd check back for anyone else's views but it seems I've swayed some of you with my review. I hope those of you who bought on the strength of it are happy with the choice. I tried to be encompassing so that gamers could decide for themselves whether this spoke to them.

Honestly, despite the repeats, it still engages me. Words get longer, more points are needed, and as I said in my original review, I like challenging myself rather than going for the obvious.

Thanks to all for your compliments and I hope no one is disappointed.

Go to: