cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for King Arthur

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 26, 10 12:58 AM
As the Forum for this game has not been started yet I decided to start a review thread myself .

There are two modes for this game Casual and Fearless ... if you play Fearless you are scored.

The Custom Cursor is optional ... you have the option to turn it on which I did and it had no detrimental effect whatsoever on my machine so I kept it.

Merlin's voice and the music are both pleasant so I kept the sound on.

You can click on objects endlessly as long as you do it slowly, if you get frustrated and fast click the screen darkens and Merlin says "Hey slow down", a much less annoying way than having your cursor loop the loop .

The graphics are appropriate for the game but I did not find all the objects easy to find, particularly the star.

Houston we have a problem

I have found all but one piece of Merlin's staff and nowhere can I find a hint button to tell me where it is so I am stuck on the first scene and unfortunately this piece of the staff isn't sparkling . So if anyone knows where the hint button is located please tell me as I would like to continue demoing this game.

Cherb

ETA

OK found the piece I was missing, it was on the goblet . Carried on playing and have just finished in the forest ... I wonder how that seashell got there

I was pleased to see that the minipuzzle where you have to chase a squirrel round the holes of a tree came with a skip button but TM lovers should enjoy that bit.

Still undecided about buying so will wait and see what games we get next month.

Edited on 09/26/2010 at 10:10:48 AM PST

poopysue
Shark
Shark
10,858 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for King Arthur

[Post New]by poopysue on Sep 26, 10 1:11 AM
I'm in exactly the same boat with you! No star, and no clue on how to get a hint. I think we have to put the staff together first.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Comments and Reviews for King Arthur

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 26, 10 1:14 AM
cherbtoo wrote:

I have found all but one piece of Merlin's staff and nowhere can I find a hint button to tell me where it is so I am stuck on the first scene and unfortunately this piece of the staff isn't sparkling . So if anyone knows where the hint button is located please tell me as I would like to continue demoing this game.

Cherb

There are sparkles for each piece of the staff - check out the desk area.

I didn't see where either of the staffs did anything!

poopysue: Spoiler: I think the star was on the right hand wall.

Edited on 09/26/2010 at 1:17:05 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 26, 10 1:15 AM
….I have downloaded the game and get no futher than the welcome screen.

No main menu of the game appears with Options and does not ask me for player - just static welcome screen.

It just goes no futher than the welcome and stops.

Some orchestral music - no voice.

Nothing else......

Edited on 09/26/2010 at 1:16:38 AM PST

jencollett
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by jencollett on Sep 26, 10 1:16 AM
All the pieces of the staff sparkled for me although the last was tiny - on a bottle on the desk I believe. I want a preying mantis. There appears to be one on the desk but I cn't get it - or is that a locust and the mantis is elsewhere. Anyway will definately not be buying this if it doesn't have a hint button!!!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 26, 10 1:18 AM
jencollett wrote:All the pieces of the staff sparkled for me although the last was tiny - on a bottle on the desk I believe. I want a preying mantis. There appears to be one on the desk but I cn't get it - or is that a locust and the mantis is elsewhere. Anyway will definately not be buying this if it doesn't have a hint button!!!

Spoiler: The preying mantis is on the shelves on the right hand side.

P.S. The game ran fine for me but in my extremely humble opinion jkuci, you are'nt missing anything. I thought the game was awful but only made it 14 minutes in the demo and then bailed out and deleted. Just came to see if I was the only one who felt this way about it.

Happy gaming everybody!!!

Edited on 09/26/2010 at 1:22:42 AM PST

FunIt
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by FunIt on Sep 26, 10 1:22 AM
I lasted for about 20 minutes and hated every one of it. To much dialog, even if it's skipable. No clues in the first two scenes, and some objects are really hard to find. When you finally get the clue buttons (there are 4 different types of clues), you have to collect runes IN THE EXACT RIGHT ORDER to reload them after you used one. To frustrating for me ...

poopysue
Shark
Shark
10,858 Posts

[Post New]by poopysue on Sep 26, 10 1:40 AM
Thank you Shadowfax, I found it. But the next part.... ! Think I'll have to pass on this one.

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Sep 26, 10 1:41 AM
All pieces of the staff sparkled for me as did the runes. Had trouble with the star myself (and something in the next screen that I can't remember) and agree with comments about the runes/hints. Renewing them is going to be a pain.

Looks like it might be a straight HOG (with very ordinary puzzles thrown in) but I stopped after I got the map so not positive about that. I prefer a bit of adventure with my hidden stuff these days. Will try a bit more in the hope it improves but so far I'm not convinced.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Sep 26, 10 1:57 AM
I am so very disappointed with this game.

This is one of my favorite stories.

I kept my expectations low so that I could enjoy it, but no go.

The typed out narration was soooo slow! And I couldn't push it along, only skip it.

Several of the objects appeared to be just a slight variation of shading on a wall.

Not impressed.

I think I recall the developers but I need to varify this before I comment.

Angel

ETA: Yeah, I thought this felt a little familiar.

Remember that fine game a few months ago?

Think Dorothy and Toto.

Edited on 09/26/2010 at 2:06:41 AM PST

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Sep 26, 10 1:59 AM
I took ages to find the butterfly!

When I first saw the sparkles, I thought 'oh no!', but boy did I need the sparkles. I have got as far as the forest on the map with 34 minutes left. I don't think I'll be buying this one - I haven't even seen Arthur yet!

I have used a couple of hints - there are four different types, one highlights the item you are looking for (click on the list), and one makes it disappear. Haven't figured out the other two yet, I have reinstated one hint by collecting the runes, but it was a bit of a faff.

Basically the game is too slow to get into - if I want to know the story of Arthur I will read 'The Once and Future King' (again), and enjoy myself - I think with this game I will end up shouting at the screen (like you do when you're watching a favourite book being wrecked on TV or at the cinema lol).

Edited on 09/26/2010 at 2:00:59 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 26, 10 2:20 AM
jkuci wrote:….I have downloaded the game and get no futher than the welcome screen.

No main menu of the game appears with Options and does not ask me for player - just static welcome screen.

Nothing else......

Uninstalled and re-installed with the same result - no game.
Not having this problem with other new games...I don't believe its any "out of date" driver issues

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for King Arthur

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 26, 10 2:33 AM
SPOILER ALERT

Star

The star is a beigey colour and is on the wall to the left of the standing lamp.

Praying Mantis

Mine was on the top shelf of the bookcase.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 26, 10 3:08 AM
_Angel_angel wrote:

ETA: Yeah, I thought this felt a little familiar.

Remember that fine game a few months ago?

Think Dorothy and Toto.

Ah-ha! That explains a bit about why this game was so dogawful!!!
Thanks for that tidbit Angel, now I will never regret not finishing the demo or deleting the game so soon... This was just really, really bad and it's a shame because I love the King Arthur, Merlin, Knights of the Roundtable myths, legends, stories, etc..

Too bad

P.S. jkuci: I really think that your PC is trying to do you a big favor here. LOLOL

P.S.S. Did anyone but me want to poke Merlin with that staff of his to try to get him to talk a little faster?? If I had only been given a chance....

Edited on 09/26/2010 at 3:12:53 AM PST

flowerchild44
Marlin
Marlin
8,348 Posts

[Post New]by flowerchild44 on Sep 26, 10 3:49 AM
have to agree with you all here, this was frustrating, i only lasted 25minutes when i stopped and deleted.I was thrilled to see merlin and i suppose my expectations were too high.the rune hint thingy was just a pain,and the merlin slow talk annoying
a big no buy for me.. ,

Suede46
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Suede46 on Sep 26, 10 4:03 AM
After downloading this game, I tried to play it. My goodness how difficult was that! The opening screen took forever, I left it whilst I went to empty the dishwasher, and play with my dog out in the garden. When I went back to it, the screen where it wants you to put your name in was up, but I could not type anything in; at that point I deleted it, it had taken 33 minutes to get to that point. Needless to say I uninstalled it.

This is the most trouble I have ever had trying to play a game. Guess who will not be buying!!!

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Sep 26, 10 4:21 AM
Nobody is missing much with this game. I didn't like it at all. I didn't like the fact that the staff parts would sparkle for you, so where's the challenge?

The game is not hard at all so it's mostly for younger ages or those who want a really easy game to play. The graphics are clear and bright but the game is really boring.

What kind of game doesn't offer any hints for a couple of rounds?

Not a quality game, IMHO.

jbinch
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by jbinch on Sep 26, 10 4:33 AM
Suede46 wrote:After downloading this game, I tried to play it. My goodness how difficult was that! The opening screen took forever, I left it whilst I went to empty the dishwasher, and play with my dog out in the garden. When I went back to it, the screen where it wants you to put your name in was up, but I could not type anything in; at that point I deleted it, it had taken 33 minutes to get to that point. Needless to say I uninstalled it.

This is the most trouble I have ever had trying to play a game. Guess who will not be buying!!!

Same here Suede46....40 mins into a 60-min demo and I haven't even been able to enter my profile name. Not even going to bother trying to reinstall!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 26, 10 4:54 AM
This is really an odd game experience. Usually games start on the easy side to hook you, suck you in to want to play. And this is the second game in a week that I tried to like but opening was the biggest challenge. Not good design for demo playing to see what it's like. No hints in first 2 scenes is "original", but why should the devs want to turn us off so fast on a timed trial??

I liked the story telling by Merlyn, kinda like someone reading a bedtime story to me, slow as he spoke, but I may have nodded out early and missed some instructions HOW to play. There was a red arrow to skip to next page but the story was setting the stage for you to become a magician. So, first scene you had to be one to turn black empty spaces into an item on the list, or just a sparkle into part of the invisible staff. I played easy mode, maybe you get no sparkles unless you ask. It's not a game to do in a hurry. If you stare long enough with some perception you can wait to see a sparkle where a staff is. If you click on something but it was not it but something else on the list it disappears as does the word so no way to know what you just "found" randomly.

Then more items appear on the list to take the found items place so you have no idea how many more in that scene. It took me 30 min first screen. Next I spent about 20 min just trying to figure out how the new hint system functioned. I'd find the right runes and kept saying I already found those (?) When? first screen looking for sulphur with no idea what it looked like but maybe yellow? Got to the map which minis I do enjoy the most putting together, parts were easy to find. Then, time up, didn't get to finish the puzzle. Oh, liked the other one with moving symbols to catch the matching one. Different.

Sure would like to know if this gets any better, fun or frustrating. Colorful and clear, faded monotone items challenging. Just doesn't feel like the devs want the player to enjoy playing it if that is their idea of a challenge. Help us through the beginning so we want to buy and stay in the game. Should be a nice story but not for anxious players in a hurry. Or those having a hard time staying awake to see what's next. Just move hints back to first scene and I'll give a rebuild an even chance. Love the theme, music appropriate but sure gets monotonous being on one scene so longggggggg.

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Sep 26, 10 4:56 AM
jkuci wrote:
jkuci wrote:….I have downloaded the game and get no futher than the welcome screen.

Nothing else......

Uninstalled and re-installed with the same result - no game.
Not having this problem with other new games...I don't believe its any "out of date" driver issues

Have you tried temporarily disabling your antivirus program before reinstalling? And also, it might help to restart the system between uninstall and reinstall. I've found that doing these two things sometimes (not always, but sometimes) works for me.

Go to: