annatar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
425 Posts

How the hint system works

[Post New]by annatar on Sep 26, 10 2:01 PM
After the initial rounds in Merlin's study without hints, he asks you to find all his magic runes. When this is done, you have access to four types of hints. Each type is made up of 3 different runes, so there are 12 different runes in all. When you get the hints, you also get a rune book on the left side under your journal, where the "recepies" for each hint is written.

The idea of these 4 different hint types is (I think) that they are meant to be 4 different spells that we can cast with his magic staff to find items. The spells (hints) are powered by the runes, and that's why we need to collect them again when we've "used" them to cast a spell (hint).

In each new location you have 12 runes, one of each kind. That means that if you use a certain type hint, you can find the runes to replenish that hint - once - in that location. If you use the same type hint again, you won't be able to find new runes to replenish it until you go to a new location. So the next time you need a hint in that location, you need to choose another type hint that the location still has runes for.

The eye hint makes a ring around the object. The crystal ball hint shows us the object and then goes to where it is hidden. The lightning hint zaps the object, while the hand icon with arrows around it gives you a "magnetic" cursor which you hover over the scene until you get near the object - which will then come flying to your cursor. I found this last one a bit difficult to use though.

Every time you've used a hint in a scene, refill it instantly by checking your rune book to see which 3 runes you need to replenish it. Then find them in the scene and click them. Don't worry about clicking a wrong rune - you'll simply be told that you've already found that rune. You don't lose your "rune-collecting" progress for the specific hint.

Once I figured out how the hints worked, it was pretty easy as long as I only used each type hint once in each scene, and replenished them with runes before finishing the scene. Sometimes a scene was revisited, and I was disappointed to see that the runes didn't renew themselves, so if I had used a hint (and 3 runes) the first time I visited the scene, those 3 runes wouldn't be there the next time I visited, so I couldn't refill that hint again. I played for the whole hour, but didn't visit any place more than twice, so I don't know if that would become a problem at later stages of the game when you've used all runes in a scene.

Halotop
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

Re:How the hint system works

[Post New]by Halotop on Sep 26, 10 2:10 PM
Bless you!!!!!!! I was going nuts..

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Sep 26, 10 2:38 PM
As I can't complete the first level without a hint I will be passing on this game.

I spent 12 minutes trying to find a lizard on the first level and gave up.

Edited on 09/26/2010 at 4:18:33 PM PST

birdie5
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by birdie5 on Sep 26, 10 6:42 PM
Annatar - thank you so much for taking the time to explain the hint system! It is greatly appreciated.

AeronAoife
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by AeronAoife on Sep 27, 10 4:06 AM
I couldn't find the apple or star so couldn't get past the first screen so I uninstalled it.

Edited on 09/27/2010 at 4:06:25 AM PST

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Sep 27, 10 6:14 AM
Excellent explanation, Annatar! I figured out how to use it, but couldn't have explained it as well as you did.

shariann
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by shariann on Sep 27, 10 6:49 PM
will not be buying this game, No hints hard to find items

[Post New]by missmeredith on Sep 27, 10 8:35 PM
could not find star in first level and cannot access hints..really disappointed in this game...terrible game

wissilent
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by wissilent on Sep 29, 10 2:44 PM
Great explanation but it would have been nice if the game would have explained it!
I really wanted to like this game, but I found it a little too frustrating and with only 5 minutes of demo left I just don't think I'm convinced that it would be worth it to buy. You have to get too much help to understand the game.

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Sep 29, 10 3:17 PM
Thank you so much for explaining it; I was wondering if there was any hint system at all.

I had a dickens of a time finding the spider in the first scene and now am stuck on finding the scales in the second so I came here. That has all taken me 38 minutes of the hour trial which is frustrating but I'm not ready to give up yet. I'll buy it with one of my free punches beginning of October.

The rest of my comments, I'll make in the 'review' post.

Thanks again, you've given me the impetus to continue; I do SO love the Arthurian legends that it's worth persevering.

[Post New]by cjarnc on Oct 2, 10 1:16 PM
I can't find the 12th rune and I think I've clicked every possibility! VERY frustrating!

pony56
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by pony56 on Oct 3, 10 3:14 AM
can someone tell me where the star and the sulphur is

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Oct 3, 10 4:44 AM
pony56 wrote:can someone tell me where the star and the sulphur is
The star is yellow and is on the right side of the scene on the yellow stone part of the wall. It is on the third row of stones from the top.

The sulphur is in a pile of powder in the lower center of the scene. It is in front of the wooden chest/box.

[Post New]by val57gal on Oct 5, 10 6:15 PM
Whatever you do, don't try to leave the game while the hand rune is activated--it makes every other application fuzzy and pixilated.

bitoluck7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by bitoluck7 on Aug 3, 11 9:21 AM
Thanks for explaining the hint system. It really makes sense to me now.

Go to: