minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

Please don't buy this game

[Post New]by minxs on Sep 27, 10 2:18 AM
Deat fellow fishies, please don't waste even a coupon code on this game. I foolishly bought it to complete my September punch card. If I had read all the reviews here, including the excellent one from LizzieK on the 5th or 6th (or one of the later pages) of the "Your comments and reviews" started by another fishie, not by a mod, then I would have known it would be a terrible error.

This game is by the same developers who made the recent, rabidly hated "Wizard of Oz".

I don't know if they are beta testing, or istening to the feedback. I know they are aiming at women over 35, apparently those who like straight HOGs with puzzles and minigames. And they've picked great stories to build on, and tried some different things, but... wah wah. I won't buy again as a favor to them, hoping they get the message to shape up and listen! Surely the beta testers (if they had any) must have had the same problems and disliked the same things as here.

This game has dozens of posts from people who can't even make it through the first two screens because there is no hint system and the objects are so difficult to see! That should be a hint. Haha. I wish i had taken it.

I did get through the first two screens with the help here and thought I'd give the game a try. Alas, alack, big mistake.

The first scene, "Forest" (NOT "Tournament Forest"), has some items that are pretty easy to see and some that are virtually impossible. You will need that hint system, so read up in here to figure it out if you insist on buying. It is not unlimited. You get 8 hints per scene, apparently.

That scene is followed by an Whack-a-Mole type game, which I did successfully complete, somehow, and then I was led to a puzzle, having to assemble an asymmetrical necklace with no hints or instructions except that the necklace glows when you place a piece and I think you can see a faint shadow of the necklace on the ground (pieces have to be laid correctly on the chain that's on the ground).

I skipped the game, since I have a raging headache by now -- 3 am -- but I don't want to skip puzzles and mini-games when the game itself is a pure HOG without any adventure elements. It appears that you just find objects and play games, scene after scene.

Anyway, I would have been better off completing my September punch card by just randomly sticking a pin in the list of HOGs -- as long as I didn't hit "Wizard of Oz".

This game is bad. Just say no!

Edited on 09/27/2010 at 3:00:35 AM PST

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

Re:Please don't buy this game

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Sep 27, 10 4:04 AM
I don't know... I guess I appreciate negative reviews... but I get so ruffled when people tell me which game to buy or not buy. Some people appreciate a challenging HOG, and so maybe I will like the game. Sometimes I think that games provide far too many hints... Do I really need a hint to assemble a knecklace or is this part of the challenge?

Edited on 09/27/2010 at 4:05:40 AM PST

[Post New]by scottj_14337 on Sep 27, 10 4:13 AM
There's nothing challenging about this game it's just flat out a waste of time. Obviously not beta tested. I have never wasted so much time clicking on obvious items just to have them sit there and stare back at me. In the "forest" section there is ONE nest, clearly visable in the tree, I clicked on that thing until the game paused and told me to slow down. Then two items later I click on it again and it finally moves. All the items in the scene were that way. Swords that you can clearly see, refusing to move until two or three items later, and the first scene on Merlin's desk was the same way. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IT'S A TOTAL WASTE OF YOUR TIME AND MONEY. BIGFISH - SEND THIS ONE BACK TO BETA TESTING IT NEEDS IT DESPERATELY ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!.

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Sep 27, 10 7:07 AM
Wow! Some strong feelings here.....and I respect everyone's right to their own opinion. But please also read the thread "Why I like this game...". Here are just two examples of how different people's opinions can be about the same thing. I bought Magicians' Handbook: Blacklore and Ravenhearst this summer, the first based on the forum and the second on my sister's recommendation. I can't stand either one of them and won't even finish Blacklore. Guess maybe I'm just the odd duck in the fishpond, but we all like what we like and there's no blame in that.

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Sep 27, 10 7:31 AM
It is not the sentiment that I find annoying... Everyone has different tastes and interests and so people will naturally like or dislike games according to their expectations. I guess I simply find these sorts of "Do not buy this game" threads to be needlessly bossy and presumptive. Why not simply state what you do not like about the game and trust the reader to make his/her own judgement as to whether or not they want to buy the game?

I also do not think that it is appropriate to shame a vendor or developer for merely offering a product.

Edited on 09/27/2010 at 7:32:18 AM PST

bpfrimmer
Clownfish
Clownfish
698 Posts

[Post New]by bpfrimmer on Sep 27, 10 9:36 AM
I enjoyed the game once I got passed the first level (with the help of the pond here)I played the demo, but I would like to know if anyone has finished the game and how long it is. Thank you

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Sep 27, 10 11:39 AM
thanks - I won't then (buy this game).

I appreciate well thought out opinions negative or positive to why people like/dislike games. As then I can make my mind up if it is the same reasons/things I like/dislike about a game.

someone cared enough to write this negative view - from their perspective to try to help other people save their money.

If you don't agree with the reasons given then obviously you would go and buy the game! Sometimes reviews are either so short (I hate or love this game) which is no help to me but this one isn't.

To have someone come out to say not to buy this game (not just give a pro/con list) means they are steamed enough, - it revoked such a reaction, helps me out, so thanks

Edited on 09/27/2010 at 11:39:55 AM PST

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Oct 2, 10 9:48 AM
Kalavinka wrote:Do I really need a hint to assemble a knecklace or is this part of the challenge?

Well, it's an asymmetrical necklace. Without some kind of hint, how would you know where to put the pieces? I mean, they could go anywhere. Looking back, all the other puzzles were so easy that I have a feeling there was a hint for this necklace -- a shadow on the ground. But otherwise, you would be left sticking pieces all around the center medallion. Because there's no balance or pattern, you have no clue as to where to put each piece.

It's hard to describe what I mean, I guess. You just have to see it.

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Oct 2, 10 9:59 AM
Kalavinka wrote:It is not the sentiment that I find annoying... Everyone has different tastes and interests and so people will naturally like or dislike games according to their expectations. I guess I simply find these sorts of "Do not buy this game" threads to be needlessly bossy and presumptive. Why not simply state what you do not like about the game and trust the reader to make his/her own judgement as to whether or not they want to buy the game?

One thing I hate about the Internet is that it's impossible to "get" people's tone. This post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, which I thought was obvious. ("Alas, alack" in a medieval forum??? Now would anyone write that with a straight face?)

But it was also serious in terms of trying to be a thoughtful though negative (!) review as well. And I literally was saying to myself as I struggled to play this stupid game, "Please don't buy this game. Don't make the mistake I did and waste ANY money on this AWFUL game! Please let me finish quickly so I can get back to the forum and warn other people away!"

But nobody can actually force you to buy a game or not. Honestly, I think it's a shame to take posts so literally, without a grain of salt or a suspicion that there might be irony involved. I can't reach through the screen, grab you by the neck, and force you to buy a game or prevent you from buying one either. So why waste energy taking offense at how I express my opinion?

Just some more thoughts, IMHO!

Edited on 10/02/2010 at 10:02:22 AM PST

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Oct 2, 10 10:51 AM
gingergal wrote:thanks - I won't then (buy this game).

(snip...)

someone cared enough to write this negative view - from their perspective to try to help other people save their money.

(snip...)

To have someone come out to say not to buy this game (not just give a pro/con list) means they are steamed enough, - it revoked such a reaction, helps me out, so thanks

Thanks, gingergal. It was a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I also tried to write a helpful review that included all games from this studio! (Wizard of Oz, anyone?)

I wasn't able to finish on the first go-around, since I developed such a raging headache. When I went back, I was dutifully playing along, hating every minute, when I suddenly thought: "Wait a minute -- why am I torturing myself? Even though I did buy this game, it doesn't mean I have to finish it when it's so dreary and horrible."

When it came to the screen where I had to collect 20 swords, and there were about 50 pointy weapons around -- gosh, it was like a nightmare. The graphics were so ugly and the game was so arbitrary as to what was considered a "sword" vs. what was something else (e/g. "dagger", "poinard" or some such medieval word).

In comparison to a game like Reincarnations: The Awakening, where you stare at each H. O. screen in astonishment at the beauty of all the different objects, the surrealism and strangeness of what they are and how they are arranged, the cleverness as to how they are all fitted in -- the bonus "circus" chapter in the CE was probably one of the most gorgeous H.O. sequences I've everr seen, worthy of being illustrations in a fairy tale book -- King Arthur was like a crude drawing by a drunken adolescent.

So I deleted it from my computer.

Best thing I've done in weeks. The feeling of relief when I think "I don't have to finish that game!" is wonderful.

(I'm the kind of person who finds it hard not to finish a book I've started to read or a game I've started to play. I may hate either one, but i hear the voices of parents and nuns and slog on anyway. But why? I'm a grown-up now! I don't have to listen to parents or nuns any more! I don't in the rest of my life, so WHY do I still feel guilty if I don't clean my plate, or finish a project, or book, or game? It's just those minor things, too. Wild drunken orgies -- evil plots -- no problem. Just kidding!)

Edited on 10/02/2010 at 10:52:49 AM PST

[Post New]by hookedonHOG on Oct 15, 10 8:38 PM
I know people have different tastes, but come on telling people not to buy this game is a little much. I quite liked it, you have to use your eyes and focus on what you are looking for and it just comes naturally. You shouldn't have to worry about hints thats no fun. My main interest in the **** games is to see if i can make it through with no hints it takes a lot longer and i get to enjoy a game longer.

deetroy1
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by deetroy1 on Oct 28, 10 11:52 AM
I think its a really good hidden object game and although I can't do all the puzzles, once I realised how to collect runes to activate the help orbs, it is quite easy.

[Post New]by LadyAuthor on Nov 13, 10 3:13 PM
I couldn't even get the game to load - my computer hung, twice. I was "charged" 30 minutes and never got further than entering my name. Thanks for the heads-up. I think I'll go find something else to play! By the way, I never buy a game without trying it first; so I didn't lose any credits or money on this one. Too bad because I am an Arthurian Legend fan...

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Nov 13, 10 3:42 PM
I'll give ya credit, minxs, at least ya did say, "please". that one word, didn't make it sound bossy. It's a pet peeve of mine when someone post and says, "Do Not Buy This Game!!" I'm like okay, well if you (not you now, speaking in general), want to start paying my 6.99 each month, then alrighty, no problem. LOL

Have a good one and hope your next game is one you like well enough to buy

Clay8720
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by Clay8720 on Mar 19, 11 6:38 PM
hookedonHOG wrote:I know people have different tastes, but come on telling people not to buy this game is a little much. I quite liked it, you have to use your eyes and focus on what you are looking for and it just comes naturally. You shouldn't have to worry about hints thats no fun. 8< snip >8

True, but she didn't just tell us NOT to buy it, she said PLEASE do not buy this game, to me that makes the statement a lot less, not "a little much" as you stated.

Thank God I DID NOT buy this game, my brother in law did, I NEVER would have after trying it out. For one this, i *DO* need hints, some items have names I may not be familiar with or know what they are or just plain can not find them and use the hint as a last resort in that case. But a HINT button SHOULD well have been included in this game. As for using yor eyes, that may be easy for you, but I am visually impaired and when the graphics are so bad and so dark you can't see where anything is, that isn't a challenge, that IS however, a very big annoyance, the folks that make these **** games NEED TO LIGHTEN their graphics by at least another 30% to 50% so things can be found. I detest it when I have to click in a dark area to find some dark shadowy object that is basically invisible to see!

So I'd tell folks the same thing, PLEASE Do Not Buy this (King Arthur) Game. It truly is the most horride I have played to date and I have over 50 **** games in my reportoire! All beat this one hands down!

This game needs a desperate update to correct these issues/problems!

Go to: