bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Roads of Rome

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Sep 27, 10 2:21 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Roads of Rome? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Roads of Rome

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Sep 27, 10 2:41 AM
Lovely gameplay:
- nice graphics
- easy to follow instructions
- smooth run
- pleasant easy all over view of the levels
- interesting increase of difficulty

Very nice game IMO.

l feel sorry though l have to chop down all these lovely trees to get the wood (l choose the 'ugly' pinetrees)

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Sep 27, 10 2:58 AM
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT !! Played the demo about ten seconds and bought it. What a great game yes it's a lot like My Kingdom but it is also very different. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous and the music is good as well. You build roads and sawmills and gather food only in this one you see the little guy working the sawmill and you can actually go and gather food yourself little berries and also you are allowed to cut down trees yourself just like My Kingdom so that you have enough to do your task. The workers are really cute and move along fairly fast. The game is just so fun and beautiful if you like My Kingdom you'll like this one as well. It's really worth the time and money give it a try you might just be glad you did. Thanks Big Fish for another great game ! Way to go keep them coming !

sparkle76
Marlin
Marlin
9,781 Posts

[Post New]by sparkle76 on Sep 27, 10 3:12 AM
Fransje66 wrote:Lovely gameplay:
- nice graphics
- smooth run

Very nice game IMO.

l feel sorry though l have to chop down all these lovely trees to get the wood (l choose the 'ugly' pinetrees)

me too fran!!
this game was fun to play, nice graphics and seemed to run smoothly.
very much like mkfp but (imo) a little harder to follow, eg, you can move stones, build bridges, clear snowdrifts, etc without having built the road first so sometimes i could have done more work when i didn't realise!, also gathering food from bushes is sometimes off the road so i didn't always see it!!
i actually found the music really annoying and also the sound effects - the new working yelling "yayyyy!" always freaked me out!
however, is a cute game, i am looking forward to purchasing next month

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Sep 27, 10 3:23 AM
I don't mean to be a traitor, but I played this game on another site and really enjoyed it!

It's not as good as Royal Envoy but close. Yes, the characters are cute and you have a lot to do and accomplish, but it's doable.

I haven't played through it all yet, but I know I'll buy this one.

And yes, I also don't like chopping down all those trees! Thankfully it's only "virtual"...

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Sep 27, 10 3:24 AM
Fransje66 wrote:Lovely gameplay:
- nice graphics
- smooth run

Very nice game IMO.

i also agree, i beta tested this game and have anxiously been waiting.

jueh
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by jueh on Sep 27, 10 3:41 AM
I agree with the other peoples comments, bought this game after 5 minutes and enjoying every minute.

[Post New]by CheerfulDragon8 on Sep 27, 10 3:43 AM
If you enjoyed the original MKftP, you'll enjoy this one. The game is similar, but there are enough differences to keep it interesting.

I played about 45 minutes, but I knew this would be a definite buy long before that.

I agree about chopping down trees. I go for the trees closest to the camp first, especially if they look dead. It's a pity the trees don't grow back.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Sep 27, 10 3:43 AM
Liked the first few levels but then the timer became really difficult to beat. I'm an oldie so perhaps my reactions aren't as quick as others. So not for me unfortunately.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Sep 27, 10 3:58 AM
I've just played half the demo so far. This seems like a near clone of My Kingdom for the Princess, at least so far. Checking the forums to see if there's any reason to buy a game so similar - seems redundant?

I was sooo hoping that "exploring the cave" would be something different, but that didn't happen...

Edited on 09/27/2010 at 3:59:54 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 27, 10 4:14 AM
QEIII wrote:Liked the first few levels but then the timer became really difficult to beat. I'm an oldie so perhaps my reactions aren't as quick as others. So not for me unfortunately.

I so agree about the timer ... I love these sort of games where you have to build things but my arthritis needs longer to achieve the goals so if I am struggling before I get to the 10th level I know that I will never be able to get anywhere near finishing the game which is very as I enjoyed the hour's demo.

MKFTP was more strategic which enabled me to complete more of the game than I know I ever would if I bought this.

LOL about the trees, I went for those that looked dead first too.

Cherb

[Post New]by whitepriestess on Sep 27, 10 4:40 AM
I got this game back from the developer and I agree with the positive reviews.

It is similar to the My Kingdom for the Princess series but there are subtle differences to distinguish them:

1. In MKftP, even when the buildings are being constructed, you can still get your workers to pick up resources, cut down trees, etc. But in Roads of Rome, the worker has to go to the building to construct it.

2. You can cut down trees for wood and gather berries in bushes for food.

3. In some levels, there are transportation devices like boats, hot air balloons, etc. They're needed to build a building or gather resources.

4. The mini games are all the same. You have to figure out what color to match-basically a match-3 game. It's to create a necklace for the beloved in the game.

Overall, this is a good game and if you like the MKftP series, you won't be disappointed in this one. In some ways, I think it's a little easier than MKftP 2. I'm still trying to get through that one. lol

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Sep 27, 10 5:15 AM
Thanks for the early reviews. I completed MKFP & MKFP2 but not all gold levels on second one and I am wondering if this game has a relaxed mode and/or if there it is possible to continue if you either don't complete level or complete but not gold? Looks like a buy regardless. Great comments above!

Edited on 09/27/2010 at 5:20:39 AM PST

James_Kit
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by James_Kit on Sep 27, 10 5:29 AM
I like it very much. Great art and beautiful music. I was surprised that after level 7 I stopped getting "expert" times. I didn't have problems finishing the levels, but I got used to games where you have too much time and not just about right.

[Post New]by missillusioned on Sep 27, 10 5:30 AM
Agreed that this is similar to MKFTP but much better graphics and I feel gameplay. However, for me I still found it too easy to complete and not much of a challenge. I only ever had to redo a level once to get expert. I got through about 15 levels plus a minigame in my hour trial which approximately means it would only last 2 1/2 hours or so. I need a bit more of a challenge in my games personally. If you do like MKFTP then you will love this game It has slight variables than MKFTP but ultimately is the same gameplay.

[Post New]by CheerfulDragon8 on Sep 27, 10 5:34 AM
laeddie wrote:Thanks for the early reviews. I completed MKFP & MKFP2 but not all gold levels on second one and I am wondering if this game has a relaxed mode and/or if there it is possible to continue if you either don't complete level or complete but not gold? Looks like a buy regardless. Great comments above!

Like the MKftP games, you can continue if you don't get 'expert' on a level. It just doesn't chip a bit more off the statue for that area. Also, like MKftP, you can go back and do a level as often as you want/need to get 'expert'.

One difference with MKftP: you don't need to build the road as you go along. I upgrade the camp to 2 workers first, then build the sawmill and farm. Upgrade the camp to three workers as soon as I can. I've found that it helps to leave the road until you've built everything else and cleared all the obstructions. Then keep two workers building the road while the other rushes around for resources. Hope this helps those who are struggling for 'expert' on some levels.

[Post New]by missillusioned on Sep 27, 10 5:41 AM
If it helps I foudn that the best strategy was to upgrade your main building, then build saw mill, then food. If nothing else was around id upgrade my main building again and then the other two buildings. Then I started to make the road, while sending one guy ahead to clear the path and the other one to collect resources

[Post New]by missillusioned on Sep 27, 10 5:43 AM
Haha! Great minds!!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 27, 10 5:58 AM
I thought I'd not be able to buy because I was too slow but I went back to it and tried again and I made it all the way to the valley so I may buy after all if I can make it through, even if it isn't on EXPERT.

Edited on 09/27/2010 at 6:21:00 AM PST

kimnick
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by kimnick on Sep 27, 10 6:26 AM
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv it

Go to: