bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Aerie - Spirit of the Forest

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 1, 10 12:23 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Aerie - Spirit of the Forest? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Aerie - Spirit of the Forest

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 1, 10 1:55 AM
The graphics are poor. The creatures look like cut outs. The deer look pregnant when they stand on their back legs and paw the air, which apparently is "great job" in deer. The gameplay is tedious. I suffered through 48 minutes before quitting the demo. The story has promise; however, the game itself needs A LOT of work before I would buy it.

This game is a D.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 1, 10 2:03 AM
I didn`t think the graphic is poor, its cartoonish, but great (very clear, crisp graphic) on my laptop. The gameplay might be for some people a little bit slow, but I like that. Its a good mix from My Kingdom for the princess and Roads of Rome. I will buy it and recommmend it

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Oct 1, 10 2:28 AM
I thought this was just a really nice game. I really enjoyed the demo and will be buying. I thought the graphics were bright and clear just all around fun for me and rather relaxing not one where your running around going crazy just a nice mellow and pretty game. Definite buy here ! Thanks big fish.

[Post New]by missillusioned on Oct 1, 10 3:30 AM
Sorry guys I disgree. i found the gameplay slow and the graphics really lacking. They just didn't look complete. The game play is similar to MKFTP except that there doesn't seem to be much thought behind what you have to do. It all seems a bit straightforward and rather slow. Not for me sorry

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 1, 10 3:59 AM
I've played 25 minutes of the demo so far. The gameplay resembles My Kingdom for the Princess. I want to say it's the hippie dippy version of that game...

My Kingdom for the Princess was cartoonish, but the goals and resources were very tangible, for the most part. This game is a little harder for me to wrap my brain around so far. (Do I need to be on the same drugs as the game designer to understand it? ) Maybe it feels solid once you get the hang of it, but for now it feels ethereal...

Sportspaz1449
Minnow
Minnow
294 Posts

[Post New]by Sportspaz1449 on Oct 1, 10 4:34 AM
Howdy my fellow fishies! .
I am not really new here at BFG, ( Just over a year in Sept. ,
and I thought I had all of the abbreviations down pat!....
But apparantly I'm having a Super Blonde "DORK" moment!
Could someone please explain what an "MKFTP" means?
I feel a bit silly, as I can usually decipher all of the others!
(MAYBE THIS GIRL IS IN NEED OF A NEW PAIR OF GLASSES,AS WELL AS A NEW THINKING CAP!!!!~ , ~Lol.)

I would truly appreciate knowing, then I'll be " in the loop!"

I haven't tried the demo yet-but will be "goin'-in" as soon as I know what those letters stand for!!!!
Thanks everyone~
"CHEERS"
ON ME!!!!
And "Happy Gaming" in the pond!

Moto26261
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Moto26261 on Oct 1, 10 5:00 AM
Sportspaz..that had me stumped too, but finally realised it's an abbreviation for My Kingdom for the Princess...I'm getting old!!!!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Oct 1, 10 5:38 AM
i beta tested this game and right away had a lot of good thoughts about it...

yes, it's a "hippie dippy" replica of MKFTP, but there is a huge difference - you don't get a huge dragon flaming your village and a voice telling you that you failed... i have a five-year-old niece who is very interested in time management games... god help me! but the fact that you can play aerie's levels til you're done is wonderful! i just tell her to keep going and take as long as she needs because there's no big scary dragon to come drag her away...

and, of course, there's the whole 'restoring nature' objective... if kids are playing this game, then this is a great message to be putting out there! she plays the jane's zoo game and does the habitat restoring hidden object scenes with the understanding that it's bad to leave trash in streams, in parks, basically anywhere besides a trash can... she's also learning the value of recycling at home...

is this game for everyone? probably not... it's a very feel good, return to childhood kind of game... you need to approach it with a 'light' mind - not one heavy with the burdens and responsibilities of the day... that being said, it makes a nice 'unwind' game - just like paradise quest! and i think that once in a while, we need that...

good luck with your forest quest...

ToonaCat
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by ToonaCat on Oct 1, 10 5:50 AM
I beta'd this one also, and am happy to see that some of the comments were used to make the directions more clear. I love the game, and find it very relaxing as well as challenging. I too like that I don't have a voice saying "hurry up!" as the time runs out. I'm on XP, with a wide screen and the graphics look fine on my system.

If you like games like My Kingdom for the Princess and Royal Envoy, and also like fairies, water nymphs, and a "new age" type of calming atmosphere, give this one a try. I'll be using a credit for this one.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Oct 1, 10 6:28 AM
I beta'd this game a while back and loved it. I don't know where the "cartoonish" graphics comments are coming from. Cartoons are what's broadcast on Saturday mornings. We talking about the same thing? The graphics in this game are quite beautiful. They have a mystical quality to them with the lighting, the special effects. I thought they were quite pretty.

The gameplay is reminiscent of MKFTP except this game is nature-based. I enjoyed the new theme - especially that the animals help you out. I thought it was an enjoyable twist to the concept rather than just more rock bashing & road building.

I agree with what Ember said regarding this being a lighthearted, relaxing type game. If you are too high-strung, then you probably won't be able to relax and enjoy it.

Will be buying this game straight out - I enjoyed it very much during the beta.

4 out of 5 stars

Edited on 10/01/2010 at 6:30:59 AM PST

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Oct 1, 10 7:28 AM
I just finished the demo and bought the game. One the things I like about it is if yo do not complete a level in the time limit, you are not kicked out and have to restart. They give you the option to continue. I have gone back and replayed the levels and completed them within the time limit.

As for the graphics, they are very clear, colorful, and fun. Not every game has to have the graphics of some the highend HOGs to be fun. If the were the case BF would not be able to provide us with a New Game Everyday. i can not say about the music as I have the TV on so turned the music way down.

This is a light, fun game and I give it just for that reason. FUN

Pat

abaumga2
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by abaumga2 on Oct 1, 10 7:44 AM
Okay, first of all, this is a definite buy for me. I love the graphics; I appreciate games that aren't in 3-D, they seem to run faster on my old machine. The story is great, and the gameplay isn't frantic, but still nicely paced.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Oct 1, 10 7:45 AM
Aerie? ...

AERIE!!! Yay!

I beta'd this one and have been waiting for it to come out!

It's much like a fantasy-themed restore-nature My Kingdom For the Princess-type game.

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Oct 1, 10 8:14 AM
Well, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but this is just a bit too "Aerie Faerie" for me. Now don't get me wrong, I like faries, birdies and cute little woodland creatures as well as the next guy, but this game, I don't know. It seems like a gentle and kind game, no maiming or killing which is good. I just can't get the hang of it. But to all you gentle, healing types, have a go and enjoy.

[Post New]by glitterbutterfly on Oct 1, 10 8:19 AM
SPOILER QUESTION (highlight to read):

Is it actually possible to complete this game? I can't get enough moonstones to finish all the fountains.

I like this game and I bought it - I'm a sucker for sweet wee animals and a bit of a tree-hugger so it suited me well. It played well and even though I had to replay a few levels it didn't feel frustrating. Once you figure out the strategy you're fine. I'm very happy with it, unless I get a negative answer to my spoiler question. Then I'll just be irritated.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Oct 1, 10 8:52 AM
This is the first time management game I have ever considered buying. I have really enjoyed the demo. I appreciate the fact that we can finish a level even after running out of time and try it again. I will admit to being an aging hippie so the theme works for me.

I found the graphics to be clear on my old PC. I liked that the bear wandered around and did his own thing when not moving rocks.

So try it for yourself despite the negative comments found here. It might surprise you.

PS
Guess I will have to try MKFTP again. I didn't like it the first time - I think there was too much building.

kitty1
Flounder
Flounder
2,194 Posts

[Post New]by kitty1 on Oct 1, 10 10:02 AM
I am really surprised by all the negative comments on this game. I beta tested it & have been eager for it to come out. I think the artwork is beautiful & I think it's a great TM for those who get flustered with really fast paced TM's. There's definitely some strategy needed if you do want to pass in the "new moon" phase. I think this game is very different from anything else out there & for that it is a definite buy for me.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 1, 10 10:11 AM
Thanks for everyone's comments about this game. I'm glad I stopped playing in the middle of the demo so I could read them and consider them when I play the rest of the demo. The comments make me feel like the game is probably not confusing once you get the hang of it.

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Oct 1, 10 11:40 AM
Found this a beautiful game. It takes a while to grasp what and how to do it but have played it through no less than 10 times. Each time you can put a different slant on what you want to achieve be it within time, completing all the healing, finding all the extras, etc. So relaxing yet strategic. And yes - have got all the moonstones and sad that you can't get more when you have done the stated ones.

Go to: