bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Bear's Dream

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 2, 10 1:05 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Bear's Dream? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

toast
Salmon
Salmon
2,618 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Bear's Dream

[Post New]by toast on Oct 2, 10 1:53 AM
This one appears to be a knock off of Alice Greenfingers but without the charm. I found the graphics to be muddied in appearance and somehow my screen resolution was reset without my knowledge or permission. The gameplay itself is easy enough and might appeal to those who like a relaxed pace for TM's.

Just my opinion...

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Oct 2, 10 6:46 AM
Very cute little game. Had fun playing the demo and thought the little bear dude was cute. I will probably be buying this just an all around cute and fun little game I really liked it thanks big fish for another great tm game.

opiesmom
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by opiesmom on Oct 2, 10 9:09 AM
Completely froze my computer on download. Took forever to load. Irritating music and fish were very difficult to catch due to slow response time. Seems odd to have such problems witt minimal graphics, don't have this problem with much more detailed games. All of the above weren't worth taking more than about 10 minutes playing time to continue. BTW the above issues wasted about 30 minutes just to get in that 10 min of playing time.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 2, 10 10:14 AM
I've played 20 minutes of the demo so far. The music seems incessant. The fish are a reflex type thing and not particularly easy to catch - doable, but frustrating to me rather than fun. I haven't played enough to pass any real sort of judgement on this game, but it's not looking promising to me so far. I'll keep checking this forum to see what y'all think...

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Oct 2, 10 10:31 AM
Okay, I'll bite - I'll be guinea pig and play this so I can report back

Your first thought upon seeing this game, like mine, is it looks simplistic and might be a good game for kids. That's true for maybe the first 15 minutes. Then the game gets progressively harder. You play a bear whose dream in life is to build himself a ship & sail away. He runs a farm so he can make the money necessary.

Each level is QUITE long. You must get 10 stars (made by fulfilling orders). Here's the catch - you gain 2 stars for completing orders within the allotted time (each order has a timer), you LOSE 2 stars for any orders you start but do not finish in time; you LOSE 1 star for any orders you do not accept. In the 45 minutes I played, I made it only to level 3 and I am a very experienced TM'er.

As you progress through the game, you get new crops to plant - turnips, wheat, radishes, corn and you eventually get buildings such oil processing (from corn) and windmill for the wheat. Upgrades are few and far between - I only received one and it was to allow my basket to carry 2 items instead of 1. There are also fish to catch which is quite difficult - I do not have arthritis, am middle aged - but they are still too fast and too sporadic. Also, for whatever reason they made the fish require a right click (whereas everything else requires a left click). You can only carry 1 fish to a basket at a time but often you have multiple orders of 6-8 fish at a time plus other ingredients. You also must carry your fish to wherever your basket may be. It is not always easy to have your basket near the water. Watering plants is done one at a time also. The game seems to try to be like a cross between Ranch Rush and Farm Frenzy. However, the gameplay schematics are such that this is not easily accomplished. While I did have fun playing, it's not a game I would go back to. I would rate this game 2.5 stars. Graphics are simplistic and childlike; game controls can be awkward - need refining. Basic concept is good but somewhat poor execution.

Edited on 10/02/2010 at 10:36:45 AM PST

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Oct 2, 10 11:40 AM
Lisa522 wrote:Your first thought upon seeing this game, like mine, is it looks simplistic and might be a good game for kids. That's true for maybe the first 15 minutes. Then the game gets progressively harder.
My thoughts exactly. I had hoped for something fun and easy, cos I'm not an experienced TM'er.
Very good review, thanks Lisa just 2 things re fish and basket I experienced differently:
Also, for whatever reason they made the fish require a right click (whereas everything else requires a left click). You can only carry 1 fish to a basket at a time but often you have multiple orders of 6-8 fish at a time plus other ingredients. You also must carry your fish to wherever your basket may be.
There's something like a mole hill near the lake; when your mouse is on it, it shows a flag. I had the bear walk to this "hill" by clicking on it - with the basket in hand, never brought anything to the basket - and then caught the fish with a left-click. Right-click only to get rid of the fish: over the bear's head or on the basket in his hands to drop the fish in the basket. I also got my 2-items-basket rather early (all these fish orders still weren't funny, but do-able); and at some point got the suggestion from the game to add a 2nd barn at the lake (in the right screen). It was really better then, cos I noticed I can leave the bear standing at the barn, click on fish in lake (screen must be as far as possible to the right), right-click on bear to put in basket (the items in basket are shown over his head); with 2 fish in basket: click twice on barn. Was at least faster than before. I still had wanted a 4 items-basket as upgrade!
And of course, this way I couldn't see my flowers - and the orders kept coming in... sigh, too challenging for me too soon.

So, I'm back to Aerie!

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 2, 10 3:54 PM
The graphics are fair to poor. I am sure they were supposed to be cute and appeal to children. However, my goddaughter saw them and made a raspberry at the screen. The gameplay has been seen before and better. There are several farming games which are more fun and less tedious. The Alicia Greenfingers series, Fiona Finch and the Finest Flowers, as well as many others whom I cannot think of at the moment, are far superior to this game. There is a reflex game to catch the fish and it's a chore, which a game should never be. When a level is complete, you go to a boat building screen where you do nothing but watch as the boat is slowly built. *yawn*

This game is an F. Nothing redeeming whatsoever.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 2, 10 4:02 PM
Thanks for all the comments .

gypsy278
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by gypsy278 on Oct 3, 10 9:59 AM
Hello all,

I actually liked this game and bought it. Yes it does look like a childrens game but as you go along it definately gets too hard for a child to play. My only real complaint is that the game is too short. I beat the whole game in just three hours and there is no expert to hit so the replay value is no existant.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Oct 3, 10 2:52 PM
i don't know what bear's dream was, but i can sure tell you what a nightmare i thought the game was!

appearances being what they were, i thought it might be an interesting game for my young niece to play, but i think even she would find the game baby-ish and not worth the time of time of day... i guess i just spoiled her with ranch rush!

the controls are sluggish and there's no way to disable the custom cursor... in game there's no real way to put anything down unless you're picking something else up, and there's way too much reading for a kids' game... you have to open up the orders - which expire if you wait too long - but if you have enough in the warehouse/barn, the game automatically asks if you want to send the stuff out... huh? definitely a mish-mosh that doesn't quite work!

there's just soooo much wrong with this game... better dreams next time!

Kestraka
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Kestraka on Oct 3, 10 4:11 PM
Can't play it. Game didn't adjust to my monitor. All I could see was the first screen with "continue" button on the bottom so I couldn't even try to get it to go to windowed. Couldn't get to menu to exit. I play on a laptop. Rarely have a problem with BF games.

bethjudy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,207 Posts

[Post New]by bethjudy on Oct 3, 10 8:02 PM
This one looks very childish, but feels like a knockoff of
Alice Greenfingers.
I don't think I have ever had so much trouble filling orders in a TM game before. This was mostly because there was no countdown or anything to tell you how close you were getting to completing the orders. The only way to tell is to open the warehouse and start calculating what you have and what you still need. This can get very complicated when you have 4 or 5 outstanding orders.
If the mechanics had been a little better I might have actually bought this one, despite the childish appearance.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 4, 10 4:43 PM
I didn`t think that this game is childish, its only cute (nice bear). The gameplay is slow at the beginning, but gets very fast after a while. You can also choose between two mode (normal or hard) thats a good thing. I will put it on my "list for games for later" and buy it on the next sale. Great game, thanks

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Oct 13, 10 10:53 AM
I liked this game as it was a bit easier to play then other gardening ones that I have experienced.

Regarding the whole, fish thing, I bought two baskets and kept them by the lake and then when the bear was busy I filled the two baskets with two fish in each, so totally four then I got the bear to put them in the barn. I never had a problem fulfilling the fish orders that way.

I agree that it seems really cute and child like but as you progress you realise that children might struggle with this one.

A good game and for someone who suffers with painful joints I found it not too hard going on the wrists as I could set lots of tasks and give my hands a rest, plus the farm is not too massive. I hate it when you have to try and find the end of the farm as it seems to sprawl on forever.

One that is going on my wishlist.

Go to: