gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

3 Cards to Dead Time - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 2, 10 1:09 AM
Post 'em if ya got 'em...

Hmmm... "trial expired"... apparently this is a sequel to 3 Cards to Midnight, which was a recent daily deal that I reluctantly found myself rather engrossed in for a spell... So I've found a free trial to play from another site and I'm downloading it now.

Edited on 10/02/2010 at 1:21:28 AM PST

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

Re:3 Cards to Dead Time - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by cll1950 on Oct 2, 10 2:43 AM
Is it like the first one?

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Oct 2, 10 3:15 AM
From what I can remember this game is similar to 3 Cards to Midnight. You have cards to chose from, then you find objects that associate with a word, then there is a mini game. In between all of this there is a continuation of the story.

I enjoyed this game because it is different. The constant cut to a story line makes it tedious.

I bought the game anyway because overall it is a good game. The price makes it difficult to pass up.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Oct 2, 10 4:20 AM
It's not a buy for me, even as a DD. I do like the graphics that are clear and crisp, though.

But the gameplay is annoying with all the dialogue interrupting play constantly, the annoying videos and text, and you can't really get into a rhythm of play with all this going on.

I didn't like 3 Cards to Midnight, either, but that's just me. It might be enjoyable for other people.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 2, 10 4:21 AM
I just played the demo from another site (since mine here said "trial expired", and on replay, I did remember having played it before), and I think I'll go ahead and buy it. It's not a game I'd pay full price for, but I think it's likely worth the 3 bucks.

It's the same but different from 3 Cards to Midnight, it's predecessor. I initially forgot that you have to select the category (to the left of the grid at the bottom) and then the hidden object, but once I remembered to do that, I was good to go. I think it's likely less confusing to me this time - the gameplay and the story - from so recently having played 3 Cards to Midnight. The story continues where that one left off, pretty much.

I didn't think much of 3 Cards to Midnight when I purchased it as a DD, but got to playing it one evening and only stopped when I couldn't keep my eyes open any more and went to bed. I was enjoying it, but can't really say why...

I would say overall that this one (both really) is take it or leave it as a DD.

Edited on 10/02/2010 at 4:27:33 AM PST

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Oct 2, 10 4:31 AM
If you liked the story of the first game this one is essential. If you haven't played the first game yet, forget this game, you won't know what's going on.

Graphics improved vastly, and they threw out the click penalty, so you can find the word connections at your own pace. This time around it's not just word links but also logic links (like you have a Two and two linked empty boxes -> in this case you have to find a 1 and a 3 in the picture).

Yes, the game cuts off to cutscenes a lot, however, this is most likely due to the fact that you play on easy where you don't have to fill all connections. Higher difficulties demand you to find everything, so you'll be busier finding words than watching videos.

Some puzzles, like the first one, I did not get, others are standard difficulty.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 2, 10 4:46 AM
I liked the demos of these games and the story lines, they were interesting enough that I didn't mind that half of the game was actually cut scenes. My only problem was with the first game and the quality of the graphics... in order to have a game screen that wasn't a tiny square on my monitor I had to lower the res which made the poor graphics absolutely horrible! So I didn't buy 3 Cards to Midnight even at $2.99. I had planned on buying this one at the DD price, but after what Laflamme said, I don't know. I wouldn't enjoy this one if I didn't play the entire first game? (I only played the demo hour on that one).

I will go with your recommendation here Laflamme. What do you think?

shadowfax

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Oct 2, 10 4:58 AM
The cut scenes are a lil annoying, but you can skip them. I'm gonna buy this one. I like the "different" way the objects are identified for locating in the scene. I remember i liked that alot about 3..Midnight. And the puzzles are also not your typical fare. It has it's negatives, but I give the developers kudos for trying to produce games that aren't the same old hidden object junk piles.

I think in order to get more play between cut scenes i'm gonna go for the higher difficulty on this one.

Edited on 10/02/2010 at 4:59:33 AM PST

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Oct 2, 10 5:05 AM
Well, Shadowfax, that's just my opinion of course, but I would be confused if I didn't know where the husband, detective and that guy from Las Vegas came from. The twin brother is out of the equation for this one. And maybe the decision you will have to make in Chapter 3 (or was it 4) is easier if you did play the first game.

_ursalita_
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by _ursalita_ on Oct 2, 10 6:07 AM
I just bought this one without demoing. Thank you for all the reviews on this one. I passed on the 3 Cards to Midnight DD because while I liked the storyline, I couldn't get past the poor graphics. The fact that the graphics have improved made this a must for me at $2.99. I love these forums!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 2, 10 6:08 AM
Laflamme wrote:Well, Shadowfax, that's just my opinion of course, but I would be confused if I didn't know where the husband, detective and that guy from Las Vegas came from. The twin brother is out of the equation for this one. And maybe the decision you will have to make in Chapter 3 (or was it 4) is easier if you did play the first game.

You are totally right, I was kind of scratching my head when I played this demo a few weeks ago... thanks Laflamme, I appreciate the input!

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Oct 2, 10 6:54 AM
This is one of those "love it or hate it" type games.

If you're a straight HidObj/IHOG Game player, then this game is NOT for you! There's a lot of dialogue (which I loved!) and as someone else said, if you didn't play the first one, this one would be somewhat confusing to play AND almost impossible to follow the story.

I LOVE this series and really hope another in the series will come out soon. I'd buy it undemoed!! These 2 games (Midnight and Dead Time) are 2 of the few games that I played straight through without playing anything in between.

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Oct 2, 10 7:15 AM
ajuma has nicely encapsulated to whom this game is directed. Those of you who lament about the cut-scenes and dialogue obviously rather have a game with more gameplay and less story. That's fine. Just don't trash this because of its merits. To me, this HOG is for those of us who like movies and being engrossed in an unfurling story. There's enough here that's unusual to make it worth the while of those who do.

Sorry to get on a high horse here but these forums are filled with people dissing games that aren't their cup of tea to begin with. It would be like me reviewing a time management game saying it was too frenetic or made me feel too stressed. It would be a misleading review because that's how I feel about them in general (and don't play them anymore anyway.)

The gameplay here is varied, the cut-scenes are well-done, voice acting professional, and the story is interesting. There's a nice, creepy atmosphere, with decent, unobtrusive music, and the overall concept of finding hidden objects according to category, etc. raises this game up a notch from the more run-of-the-mill junk yard HOGs.

I did appreciate the improved graphics from the first one but have to say they're still a bit grainy and hard to find in dark scenes (and some scenes are dark.) Regardless, for a price that's less than the bag of potato chips I eat while playing, it's worth my money.

Edited on 10/02/2010 at 7:54:33 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 2, 10 8:43 AM
Only thing I can add to what ajuma and littlegamefisher had to
say is this wouldn't work on my old computer or I would already
have bought it at full price. It's a steal for me at DD price.

It's like reading an interactive book, where you have to stop
and do other things.

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Oct 2, 10 10:07 AM
This is a definite buy for me at DD price, especially since I bought 3 Cards to Midnight not long ago.

Besides what's already been said, some notable things I thought I'd throw in:

- Game displays full screen on my widescreen monitor (as opposed to 3 Cards to Midnight's tiny window). Much better graphic quality too.

- There are 2 gameplay modes: Relaxed and Challenge (and they don't explain what each does when asked to pick one at the beginning). From what I can tell:
The Challenge mode is the same as that in 3 Cards to Midnight. You have to find all the words, start each room with 3 hints (but can earn more), and there is a misclick penalty in this mode, as you have only 9 misclicks allowed and have to restart the current room if you fail.
In the Relaxed mode, there is no misclick penalty. Also, you don't necessarily have to find all words (not sure here, because I had to find all in the 1st intro search, then didn't in the 2nd pass in the same room searching for words connections). Hints work the same in that mode -- you earn points when finding words and get a new hint at 100 points.

- The game still doesn't save your progress mid-room, which I find annoying.

- Gameplay feels a lot easier/less frustrating than 3 Cards to Midnight.

njmathews
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by njmathews on Oct 2, 10 10:46 AM
Laflamme wrote:If you liked the story of the first game this one is essential. If you haven't played the first game yet, forget this game, you won't know what's going on.

In the Main Menu select "Story Intro". That gives us the basic story and key points from the first game. I've just played 30 minutes of the demo and had no problem following the storyline.

This is a definite buy for me at $2.99. I don't mind the frequent cutscenes - gives these old, weary eyes a regular break from seek-and-find Thoroughly enjoying the different methods for determining which objects to find, instead of the traditional "find the objects on this list". And I like the story.

I'm off to click "buy now".

jpo656
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by jpo656 on Oct 2, 10 10:59 AM
I've just started playing (and buying) a lot of games. This is not for me, the cut scenes feel like I'm being interrupted. But thanks, Big Fish, for giving us a wide variety.

Miridau
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Miridau on Oct 2, 10 11:42 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Having recently got 3 cards to midnight on the DD I was delighted to get this one also on a DD. It has a good story line and I found the cut scenes and dialogue a nice change from haring from one room to another and back again looking for objects to use in yet another room! I particularly like the word association way of finding objects instead of being told what object to look for. A good buy and I have enjoyed playing it today.

Go to: