MN_BadGirl
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Great Gatsby

[Post New]by MN_BadGirl on Jul 31, 10 3:23 PM
The broken nose thing was disturbing, but that is how things were in that era. Women were more objects to be owned rather than equal to men. It's a reflection of the era.

That being said, I really liked finding letters hidden in the scenes and making words out of them. A really good idea and still is true to Hidden Objects. Please do more f those.

I am waiting for a free credit but may just have to bite the bullet and buy it before I get the credit. I really want to play this again.

[Post New]by ladyj52 on Aug 1, 10 7:15 PM
That was a wasted purchase. The most boring of hidden object games I've played in sometime. I kept waiting for the "punch line" and I'm still waiting and the game suddenly over! Wish I could get my game credit back.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Aug 6, 10 3:50 AM
Great game! Bought it and glad I did.
To take a classic novel from the 20's and make it work in a HOG game was a wonderful idea. The mood was very 1920's, the flippant way people handled one another in the wealthy set seemed right on. I saw a lot of this personally growing up..martini's and everything. If you drive around Maine's coastline you'll see a lot of the homes built in this time when there were servants, tea times, actually a lovely mood between the two wars.
The game was very playable and the endng was sad like all good novels are..oh, no, is that the end? So, bring on more like this!
Chris

jeannemaria
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by jeannemaria on Aug 7, 10 7:17 PM
I love this game, which I purchased very recently. I is a near perfect game. I can NOT understand Big Fish. Under their Favorites they have games in their Top 10 which are far inferior to this game and have often technical problems as well. This game is not even in their top 100 I think. Big Fish made a serious error of judgement in not having this game as a TGT. It would have been in the Top 10, I am 100% sure, if they had this game as a TGT.
I never read the book nor did i see the movie, but i do appreciate this game because it is very true to that era.
PS I have posted two comments in the Perfect Game.

Happy Gaming

[Post New]by hoxharding on Aug 11, 10 8:02 PM
snapnhiss wrote:I wish people wouldn't post about how they disapprove of an element of a game's story when they aren't familiar with the source material. I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, but the drinking of alcohol was an integral part of the novel and it's sort of ridiculous to get on your high horse complaining about it.

I agree with you-this is based on a classic novel. To change elements of the story would be ridiculous.

[Post New]by jeane37 on Aug 14, 10 7:14 PM
I love this game. The artwork is excellent. The narration is the games foundation. Without that, the game is another ****-hum with a few extras. The extras are fun--the street ride. Please talk this crew of people into another game like this--with the literature, the music and whole feeling of being there.

tinliz48
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by tinliz48 on Aug 18, 10 1:20 PM
I loved, loved, loved this game. Not so much the broken nose however. That being said the mini games are very different. Loved the music. The story, of course, is a classic. I hope more games of this ilk are in the making.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Aug 21, 10 2:41 PM
I have well over 50 games now. There are many that I really rate tops BUT this is my very very favorite! The graphics are perfect, lighting perfect, voice overs are also perfect. And of course the story is the very best. I just played it again and it changes the hidden objects so it is almost new for me. Please bigfish try to get more like this one. And thanks a million for this one.

Purple_One
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Purple_One on Aug 31, 10 6:50 PM
I might as well add my 2 cents worth in here, lol. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I didn't read the book or see the movie; altho I have heard the name Gatsby, I don't remember where (probably from my mother who was a 'flapper' in the '20s).

I am so happy it was untimed. I don't see how it could be a 'timed' game. There is always something to do and not just find hidden objects. The minigames scattered throughout were quite enjoyable and unpredictable. I loved typing the falling words; but, like a big dummy, I only got 2 correct the first time i played it because I had my caps lock key on...you have to be aware of upper- and lowercase letters. The scrolling scenes minigames went by pretty quickly; but, you get the option to replay them to get more points to buy goodies for your library. In the hidden object driving scenes, objects that were not in the car went by very quickly and took a lot of clicking to get them. If you do too much rapid clicking, they dun you for points.

I listened to the music at first, but shut it off when I started the game like I always do. I don't like the distraction especially when you have dialogue throughout the game. I also shut off the text at the top of the screen and just listened to the voices telling the story, with the picture of the person speaking up at the top left of the screen. I normally hate stories in HOGs; but, that is just me. This one was ok.

i loved the variety of the whole game. Some of the hidden objects were named something other than what they are; e.g. look for a 'cart' was really a 'wheelbarrow'. Some things were hidden very well and I did need to use hints which are not limited and replenish fairly fast.

The graphics were nice and clear. I never was at a loss as to what to do next. I did skip a few of the minigames that just didn't seem to work for me, like making a martini and changing a car tire.

The length of the game was just right; I finished it in one day (several hours). The only thing that upset me was the swearing using God's name in vain. I know a lot of people say it and think it is normal...I don't...and, most importantly, God doesn't like it...He said so. I'm surprised no one mentioned this in their comments about dislikes in the game. Other than that, it was a great all-around game. God bless.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Sep 18, 10 10:30 PM
GENKICOLL - What a wonderful job you did reviewing this game and all its intricacies. I am late in posting, but saved this game to one of my last to play because I knew it was going to be great.

Every since playing the demo, it has haunted me. So as soon as I was able, I bought it. I've never played a game like this with so many things to do, as Genkicoll related, and so different in every respect. Have to put it up there with the top one or two game BFG's has offered. Very surprised BFG didn't give it the publicity and credit it so deserved.

I will definitely play this again. Getting the hang of the game and looking for so many things in a scene, I didn't pay close attention to the dialogue, which is the story. Such a sad tale of what it was like to be rich and uncaring about anyone or anything in that era. A real classic. The transformation into a "game" was amazing, and lacked nothing.

Hope people take the time to at least demo this one - you will be hard pressed to find a better game out there.

Peace,
cg

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Sep 19, 10 11:08 AM
We liked the game vary much! There were many different elements that added interest and variety to the game -- e.g.,finding letters; making words; finding hidden objects; winning trophies; and even surprising endings. What seemed to be a complicated scoring system added even more interest to the game. We enjoyed the closing scenes and someday will play the game again. From what I know, the storyline followed the book fairly well. The developers did an outstanding job in taking a classic book and making an interesting game from it. Thanks BF for adding this to the many fascinating games in your library!

Jerripat
Herring
Herring
320 Posts

[Post New]by Jerripat on Nov 7, 10 8:57 AM
no walkthru, so no buy

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 7, 10 9:00 AM
Jerripat - you don't need a walkthrough - buy it - it's amazing. And I betad this one and wasn't sure at all. But it's absolutely great. With good replay value too. Enjpy!!

[Post New]by Dianne34 on Nov 8, 10 8:39 AM
Awesome...loved it!!!!!!! I have played this game 3 times and it is never boring. Great novel terrific game ty BF.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Nov 21, 10 8:14 PM
I've read several of the reviews for this game and what I don't understand is why isn't there a "popular" icon beside the name on the Hidden Object game list since so many seem to like it? It's been awhile since I played the demo but, if I remember correctly, I enjoyed what I did play. The only thing I really did not care much for was the music. I don't like jazzy music. Otherwise, I found the game interesting. I do like finding the letters and guessing words and the graphics are very good. I still may use a credit for it since I have several backed up. So many of the games, lately, at least, I don't feel at all comfortable with because of the occult content. It seems to be more difficult that ever to find a good mystery game that doesn't have something of the occult in it.

ms_mamiller
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by ms_mamiller on Apr 25, 11 2:49 AM
I really like this game. The graphics are my favorite style, hand drawn, slightly animated, beautiful. The game itself is fun, interesting, with a lot of appeal. The story, is of course... a classic. I used a credit to get this one for free, so it was obviously worth it... however the 6.99 price would have been a bargain. I saw that this game got high ratings on a lot of sites, hence my curiousity. Recommend!

ppvjeep
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by ppvjeep on Jun 27, 11 9:19 PM
I love this book: I love this game. It doesn't follow the book exactly, but it's a fun spin-off of a classic novel. Being an English major, it's nice to see books come to life even in games. The game's realistic with item placement and you don't have to look for modern day items that didn't fit the era. Thank you for doing your homework.

This is classic American Literature: if you don't understand the era or haven't read the book, don't post. Comments over the character's language is unnecessary: it's how they spoke! Besides, this was during the War and Prohibition.

Anyways, the graphics are beautiful, the story is great, and I would recommend this game to Gatsby and Americana fans.

[Post New]by pepcea on Jul 17, 11 1:58 PM
I enjoyed this game very much. It's different and I count it among my favorites. I love the HOG's and this is one of the best in my opinion. It's interesting, entertaining, and not too difficult. I hope there will more like this one.

Edited on 07/17/2011 at 1:59:15 PM PST

[Post New]by humannonfish on Jul 25, 11 2:44 PM
I rarely comment on games here other than to voice my incredulity that the games offered are for adults. This game I liked, the hanging on an American classic of a game - wonderful. We have moved beyond the moronic, childish themes typically offered to grown ups! Then I read that poeple are upset by the content, mixing drinks?? adultary?? oh my. This was America almost 100 years ago!!!!! You didn't move on, you regressed? Sadly I ask the question, is there anything to be proud of in that mind set?

And, yes, I know it's only a game but the comments are sometimes so mind blowingly unbelieveable I just couldn't help commenting!

[Post New]by Dianne34 on Sep 5, 11 7:13 AM
Great game....have played it three times...this is one of my very favorites. Ty BFG

Go to: