hermette
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by hermette on Jul 28, 10 5:52 AM
Apparently I'm the only one that doesn't like it. I've said, any game with a 'walkthrough' I'd never buy. They are frustrating at best. When I downloaded the trial, I looked to ensure there was no walkthrough, nope, didn't see it. So I'm thinking great, must be like Mortimer Beckett, loved it. Playing the trial was fun and do-able. Times up and I spend $20 to buy it, only to find out 'now' there's a walkthrough. Since that point, I've struggled through every page with more and more 'push buttons to make this or that work, each one getting more complicated. Oh, but if I go to the walkthrough... yadda yadda yadda. I like to be able to logically 'play' through a game, not close it, read a walkthrough, go back... what's the point of this? Please, when downloading a trial of this sort, can we say something about a walkthrough? I know many like these games, but many don't.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by breizhje on Jul 28, 10 6:09 AM
I'm stuck!
Yesterday I opened the gate in the castle. Today when I wanted to go on with my journey, the gate was closed. There's nothing I can do.
I have a green gem, a gardentool and a funnel....
help...

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on Jul 28, 10 9:02 AM
meanbusiness wrote:I purchased the first and loved it. This looks like an awesome sequal. However, I do not need all the extras that go with it. Why doesn't BF offer a compromise deal? Just include the extra game play, minus concept art, wallpaper etc. Give it to us for 10.99. I would love to buy this game, but I say again, I do not need the other stuff. I guess I will just wait until the "short" version is available.

I agree, belamba, that the concept art and other stuff is mostly "who cares" and certainly doesn't warrant the extra money. I used to buy CEs for the extra game play but I've been disappointed so often that I've stopped. Why pay $6.99 for a 4-hour game and then pay $13.00 for another hour? I, too, would gladly fork over extra for just the "bonus" gameplay. I imagine that CEs appeal to those who just must have a game...NOW! (I bought Dire Grove that way.)

But, I don't think that it's Big Fish's choice to make. I think the developers/distributors choose how a game must be released. I know almost nothing about game design but I think that if BF went into a game and separated out the code segments it would be considered reverse engineering and that's illegal in most western jurisdictions.

We certainly wouldn't want the Lords of the Sea to end up in jail, now, would we?

[Post New]by veronique875 on Jul 28, 10 9:45 AM
Hmm.. I actually didn't like this one, too dark. I think I remember liking the first one; but I don't know why games have to have such dark scenes.

I mean, I know they want a dark "atmosphere"... but there is such a thing as TOO dark.

Cairobat
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Cairobat on Jul 29, 10 8:13 AM
I'm a digital art student, so I would really enjoy seeing the concept art, but it's absolutely NOT worth the extra $13.00 dollars for me to do so. And I'm not interested in a walk-thru, as that just shortens the game for me. I'd rather just come to the forum and get a *hint* (not the solution) from a fellow fishie.

I'm not complaining, though, as I have no problem waiting for the SE. Just giving my opinions in case BFG is wondering why people DO or DO NOT buy the CEs.

[Post New]by fishiegamer on Jul 29, 10 8:18 AM
Just finished the demo and this is definately one to buy. Liked the 1st in the series but this one has more intreguing story-line. Loved the different mini games,

two thumbs up fishies!

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Jul 29, 10 12:30 PM
I loved this. This is one of my favorites, right up there with Dire Grove and Drawn. For me, it was worth the $19.95. Every once in awhile a game comes along that is really special, and I don't mind paying extra for that (the same price I would pay for any adventure game from Best Buy). I agree with those that say they don't care about the concept work or the gloomy wallpapers, but the gameplay was wonderful, and the bonus game was substantial enough that I wasn't disappointed.

My tiny little quibble: I wish they would integrate the walkthrough into the game. Developers, if I pay an extra $13.00 for your game, believe me, I am aware there are "extras" involved. You do not need to stick your walkthrough in the "Extra" section so that I know I paid more for it. It would be so nice just to be able to click on the walkthrough in the game, instead of having to go all the way out to the main menu to find it.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jul 30, 10 7:28 AM
dlb628 wrote:I loved this. This is one of my favorites, right up there with Dire Grove and Drawn. For me, it was worth the $19.95. Every once in awhile a game comes along that is really special, and I don't mind paying extra for that (the same price I would pay for any adventure game from Best Buy). I agree with those that say they don't care about the concept work or the gloomy wallpapers, but the gameplay was wonderful, and the bonus game was substantial enough that I wasn't disappointed.

My tiny little quibble: I wish they would integrate the walkthrough into the game. Developers, if I pay an extra $13.00 for your game, believe me, I am aware there are "extras" involved. You do not need to stick your walkthrough in the "Extra" section so that I know I paid more for it. It would be so nice just to be able to click on the walkthrough in the game, instead of having to go all the way out to the main menu to find it.
Had an afterthought about the walkthrough and wanted to say it...you did it brilliantly for me !!!

[Post New]by arnolds_wife on Jul 30, 10 7:51 AM
I am very frustrated with the game, I ejoy the concept of the game, but i don't like this walkthrough, I am stuck at the castle door and can't find the bulbs, or the key to the castle door. Any hits or further walkthroughs besides the one built-in?

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Jul 30, 10 12:27 PM
I enjoyed the demo of this game and will definitely buy the regular version. I agree with the majority here, why wallpaper and artwork? That isn't enough to encourage me to spend the extra money. I still haven't played the bonus part of Dire Grove... so I'm patient, I'll wait. But it's a really good game so far!

togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by togood2be on Jul 30, 10 3:10 PM
Good game, I liked it very much. Now I am on the bonus section, looks good so far. But my eyes need a break..lol old age creeping in!

Areal
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Areal on Aug 1, 10 7:43 AM
This is the first time I purchase a Collector's edition and don't get dissapointed.
Worth the price paid, and the extras are as good as the rest.

BadWhippet
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by BadWhippet on Aug 1, 10 6:43 PM
At last! A game with a decent challenge!

I never played Dream Chronicles (maybe I should!) but after ten minutes of demo I knew I'd love this. I'm far into the game now and fear I'm nearing the end, but it's a great, GREAT title!

Very very happy - definitely one for puzzle-heads as it's not easy - thank goodness!

[Post New]by wrenchwench on Aug 2, 10 9:24 AM
I have to say that a game that has me looking for help in the demo is a must buy. The play is not too easy and not impossible. The images are also clear enough to make viewing on a laptop do-able, which has been a big issue for me with some games in the past. I will even admit that some of the scenes startled me when I got too engrossed in the play.
I do think I will wait for the regular version, my budget, like many others here, is too tight for one game at that price.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Aug 2, 10 8:01 PM
wil definitely buy the 6-99 version

BadWhippet
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by BadWhippet on Aug 4, 10 11:24 AM
My goodness, I've done some moaning here about too-easy games and dull Hidden Object formulas, but this game is HARD and the hidden object scenes original and not at all repetitive. It's so hard that I'm almost (ALMOST) resorting to the strategy guide (which I've not had to do for a very long time in a game so this will teach me for moaning). But it's hard in a good way; it's not impossible - just requires paying attention to things that you see and looking more closely at what's in front of you. I'm finding this game engaging and fun, and dread reaching the end of it.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Aug 5, 10 12:27 PM
I'm glad I waited to play the demo of this until now, because this game is EXCELLENT and I was sorely disappointed when my demo time ran out. I won't buy the CE and mudrock said the SE is coming out this week...so I only have til Sat at the latest to wait to play some more, yay!!

I got as far as the fuse puzzle and wonder how much is left since there's no walkthrough but once the SE comes out I'll be able to gauge. I'm buying this in SE anyway because it's one of the best I"ve played. The graphics are stunning and I just LOVE moonlit castles and eery streets! Excellent atmosphere. Too bad the music sucks (had to turn it off within a few mins). Otherwise I'm having a blast, the puzzles are challenging (NO hand holding, YAY!) and the hidden object scenes, although pretty easy so far, are beautifully done. Oh and I really dig that thing where you had to replace objects ...that was cool! I hope there are more of those.

Highest recommendation for SE version.

P.S. I played in "expert" mode. Started in regular (easy) mode but it was too easy so I started over.

[Post New]by artsyar on Aug 7, 10 6:42 AM
I am having cursor problems. I have uninstalled game 3 times and restarted computer. My cursor will not move in the cellar of the castle. Do you have a fix for me?

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Aug 7, 10 8:24 AM
What hapened?? Here it is Saturday and no Echoes 2! I did play the trial of Redrum and it's ok but certainly no Echoes? Anyone know what happened and when it is going to be released? As far as I'm concerned, the week is over. Mudrock said it would be out this week. You think it will be tomorrow that it is released??

Would appreciate any info any of you have to give. My nerves are shot waiting for it.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Aug 7, 10 8:31 AM
ladygem6 wrote:What hapened?? Here it is Saturday and no Echoes 2! I did play the trial of Redrum and it's ok but certainly no Echoes? Anyone know what happened and when it is going to be released? As far as I'm concerned, the week is over. Mudrock said it would be out this week. You think it will be tomorrow that it is released??

Would appreciate any info any of you have to give. My nerves are shot waiting for it.

Since mudrock doesn't post until Sun or Mon (I forget which), they consider the week not up until then. So I think we have 1 more day to wait. I too am anxiously awaiting the SE of this game and as I posted in mudrock's thread, I am sick of waiting until the VERY. LAST. MINUTE. for standard versions to come out. But hopefully it will be out tomorrow. (I haven't even played the demo of Curse of the Raven yet because I don't want to love it and have to wait another 3 weeks for THAT standard version! I'll wait until closer to that time).

Go to: