bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

Re:A SIGN UP SHEET ASKING TO KEEP THE FORUM ACTIVE

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Apr 18, 18 4:46 PM
Hello Everyone,

Our Moderator Team understands that the upcoming changes to the forums have stirred a lot of emotions, and we sympathize. I do need to remind our players that while the forums are active, players are asked to abide by and follow the Forum Rules. These specific rules are important in this case:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

Make sure your posts are constructive and add to the conversation on the forums. Posting just to "level up" or "bump" discussions is considered SPAM. Posts that are not game related will be removed.

We understand that there are concerns about this decision, and we hope our players find ways to exchange contact information with acquaintances and friends that have been made here over the years. We also want our players to be able to exchange their thoughts and concerns about these changes, as we recognize the depth of the emotions our players are currently experiencing.

With that being said, speculating without facts and inciting fear in other players by implying or stating the change to the forums signals an end to the company as a whole is not constructive. None of this is true; Big Fish Games will continue to release new games for our players every day, and we're as committed as ever to providing quality content.

Thank you for understanding we must still uphold the rules even during this difficult time. People are also encouraged to PM me or any of our other Moderators with questions or concerns about this change. We are always happy to listen, and we'll do our best to address our players' concerns as best we can with the information available to us.

bfgArinelle

Rob_Blake
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by Rob_Blake on Apr 18, 18 5:48 PM
BFG Moderators - You keep saying that BFG cannot upgrade the current forum platform, which I understand, but I feel that you have still not told us why the company will not invest in a brand new forum system. Why do you keep avoiding answering that specific question?

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Apr 18, 18 8:48 PM
I would like the forum to stay active, but since the old Chit Chat corner was taken away I don't think what we want matters at all. I was part of a thread called "Finish your Games Challenge". When we had to leave this forum we took our thread and created a small forum that others are welcome to visit and hopefully join. We kept the name...finishyourgames(dot)boardhost(dot)com/index(dot)php just replace (dot) with a period...................

alphafem
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by alphafem on Apr 18, 18 10:59 PM
YIKES!! When I got pennmom36's message, I was SHOCKED!! This is UNbelievable! I don't post much, but the Forums are a valuable resource to me none the less, as they are to many BFG loyalists, for MANY different reasons. I share your misery! Each and every post I've read here, lays my heart bare! And I am left with questions.

For example...when we get stuck in a game, and going to the Walk-through was not sufficient...where are we gonna go for help? What then? What? Give up in despair? Abort the game? Giving up on a seemingly hopeless situation is not in my nature, so I have at times availed myself of the experts in the Forums. If nothing else, oft times I have found the courage to persevere.

Is this jugular cutting decision due to too much spam to handle? If so, why not give the ability to delete a spam post to certain Key Contributors? (I am not one of those) If they see a post, and Flag it as Inappropriate...let it be deleted immediately. As long as the person with this responsibility exorcises it responsibly, (verified by spot checks), there will only be a benefit of a cleaned up site...free of spam. We ALL win.

Medically speaking, games...for all age groups...have been proven to help reduce pain levels by taking the patient's focus to someplace where they can immerse themselves, engross themselves in something positive that they find pleasing. I imagine that reading the Forum comments provides that same stimuli as well.

Please, BFG, remember that you are nothing without your loyal client base. WHO do YOU owe YOUR loyalty to? C'mon now! Serve extra expresso at the Zen-Desk, and figure this out!

And OMG! Has anybody informed the folks over at the Midnight Castle Forum threads yet? Peace.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Apr 19, 18 12:52 AM
Oh my word.

Hi all.

I hardly ever post these days as I am busy with work etc, but I DO every day check to see what Tomorrows game is & If a game interests me I ALWAYS go straight to game tips to read the reviews there as I ( sorry if I offend any one) find most (but not all ) of the official reviews pretty lacking & contain more opinion than fact. Some times I have to wait for the reviews to roll in but that is fine with me.

Also the tech thread is very interesting. Is the game glitchy ? is it too dark etc ? The official reviews don't cover that aspect.

If the forums do close I may well look at other options. That is not to say I will be spitting my dummy out of the pram, but if I join a forum or community, I might as well decide to buy my games from there as well.

I have been a member here for years ever since Madam Fate was released. Its like being a savvy shopper. If you stop getting the service you expect & are used to you simply look around to shop else where and receive that service you want.

tata fishes if never again
Jojo
xx

FRHgames
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
433 Posts

[Post New]by FRHgames on Apr 19, 18 2:49 AM
Well... I've contacted BFG again and forwarded
- a link to this thread
- an offer how they can get rid of the spammers ( only members with an active subscription can write reviews, others can us PM and read the forum )
- possible problems for us as developers of Cursed House, Laruaville and Spellarium series. During development of these series of games we're helping people on the forum, collect the feedbacks which is very important for us
- possible impact to BFG if they will close forum.
I have experience of moderation and know that spam is a huge problem.

Jorie10
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Jorie10 on Apr 19, 18 4:18 AM
I don't understand why the software can't be replaced. I worked in the software industry for 17 years. When one of our products needed to be replaced, it was rewritten and improved. That happened over and over as software showed its age.

If an off-the-shelf version is not ideal, surely a company could be hired to code new forum software.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Apr 19, 18 7:57 AM
Maybe if the game forums had had as many postings for each game as this thread has they wouldn't be closing it. Forums were very scant most of the time and quite often had more spam than postings related to the games.

Thank you to all who have posted reviews on games for us, you all will be missed.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 19, 18 8:17 AM
Lambina wrote:
I feel the same as you about gaming on pc, a tablet does not have near the capabilities but pc gaming will not go the way of the dinosaur as the most hard core gamers use pc's, they play games that have a lot of complex keyboarding moves, the type of games that cost $50 to $100 that they play online, my husband custom built his pc just for gaming, he calls the games that I play "cheap". There is a whole other world out there with pc gamers, and still probably millions of us playing the casual BF games on pc.

I'm talking about casual gaming, like the games on offer here. I don't play multi player or online games, with PC's built specifically for that purpose. My PC is already outdated still running Win7; how long will Microsoft keep making new OS's for the casual home PC user? My guess would be.... not long.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Apr 19, 18 8:43 AM
Jorie10 wrote:I don't understand why the software can't be replaced. I worked in the software industry for 17 years. When one of our products needed to be replaced, it was rewritten and improved. That happened over and over as software showed its age.

If an off-the-shelf version is not ideal, surely a company could be hired to code new forum software.

I've brought that up in several posts around the forums and haven't gotten a peep from anyone about that. Either BF is being boneheaded with not considering this at all (wow a company sold for almost a billion dollars can't afford a new server or new software for better forums?), or maybe there is something going on behind the scenes which they don't want to disclose in case it falls through. I remember the fiasco that occurred in 2013 when they announced we were getting new forums and nothing happened. I'll try to remain optimistic, but did register at Pond Friends as well.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Apr 19, 18 8:44 AM
mhatfie wrote:Maybe if the game forums had had as many postings for each game as this thread has they wouldn't be closing it. Forums were very scant most of the time and quite often had more spam than postings related to the games.

Thank you to all who have posted reviews on games for us, you all will be missed.

It used to be like that.

There would be a daily chit chat thread for each new game where you could say good morning & pass comments not worthy of a review thread & add your opinions. it was a daily get to gether whilst reviewing / trying out the new game of the day.

Then they stopped that & insisted all threads like that were in Chit Chat Corner.

then they binned Chit Chat Corner....

Many splinter groups moved to the internet. I was part of 2, 1 very close to my heart but new PC'c etc & lack of time, I have lost touch with so many cyber friends & it saddens me.

I can't understand why a company's marketing secter would deliberately want to isolate its core of customers, who in the main want to try then buy their games and discuss them on a forum.

It is the difference between playing hop scotch alone or playing with a group of friends. No brainer.

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 19, 18 9:23 AM
angelfish106 wrote:
Lambina wrote:
I feel the same as you about gaming on pc, a tablet does not have near the capabilities but pc gaming will not go the way of the dinosaur as the most hard core gamers use pc's, they play games that have a lot of complex keyboarding moves, the type of games that cost $50 to $100 that they play online, my husband custom built his pc just for gaming, he calls the games that I play "cheap". There is a whole other world out there with pc gamers, and still probably millions of us playing the casual BF games on pc.

I'm talking about casual gaming, like the games on offer here. I don't play multi player or online games, with PC's built specifically for that purpose. My PC is already outdated still running Win7; how long will Microsoft keep making new OS's for the casual home PC user? My guess would be.... not long.

Microsoft has stopped with win10 but will keep sending out updates in the future to keep it up to date, many people are happy about that.

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Apr 19, 18 10:08 AM
G'day.

Thank you all for continuing to take the time to share feedback and questions here in the thread. Our team is working to address as many questions as is humanly possible.

Rob_Blake, it has been touched on in some of the posts from the moderation team that the decision to disable posts and PMs was not reached without thorough investigation of all of the options available to us to preserve the forum and the content within.

These options included the possibility of a new platform, something that some users may recall was attempted in the past. In weighing this possibility, no viable solution was found that would allow for the preservation of content and sheer scope of our forums.

All of the feedback and suggestions being provided by our users will continue to be shared with the appropriate parties, and please, don't hesitate to reach out to us. As bfgArinelle noted in their last post we're here listen and to address concerns as best we can with the information available to us.

bfgMurrumbidgee

Lambina
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,123 Posts

[Post New]by Lambina on Apr 19, 18 10:29 AM
If the existing content can't be preserved then I would rather lose that content and start out fresh with a new forum system than to have nothing at all. We can refill the tips and tricks threads on the ftp's and be able to get the help that we might need going forward with all new releases including the games that we BUY, anything is better than nothing, and as many have suggested the club members can help with spam removal so that the mods are not stressed running from one forum to the next, there is always a solution to a problem, it all depends on how much effort people are willing to put in to solve it.

mcquigan
Clownfish
Clownfish
726 Posts

This is where I am going

[Post New]by mcquigan on Apr 19, 18 12:47 PM
We begged in 2013 to no avail. We felt so betrayed because we had been promised: "it t will never happen".

The company was sold and it happened; it will probably happen again.

We started petitions.

While I hope BFG reconsiders their position on this, here is where many of us ended up

http://pondfriends.boards.net/

Just think, some of us fishies have been flushed twice now...

it was sure fun here while it lasted...

Anyway, we are creating new forums for displaced members; we would love to see you there!

Kamana_29
Marlin
Marlin
9,782 Posts

[Post New]by Kamana_29 on Apr 19, 18 1:42 PM
FRHgames wrote:Well... I've contacted BFG again and forwarded
- a link to this thread
- an offer how they can get rid of the spammers ( only members with an active subscription can write reviews, others can us PM and read the forum )
- possible problems for us as developers of Cursed House, Laruaville and Spellarium series. During development of these series of games we're helping people on the forum, collect the feedbacks which is very important for us
- possible impact to BFG if they will close forum.
I have experience of moderation and know that spam is a huge problem.

Thank you for taking the trouble to post & contact BF Unfortunately, I believe BF has made it's decision & won't be budged. It knew the emotions this announcement would stir & have left the poor mods to cope.

It's not going to be easy but I suppose we can always contact you via social media or your own website or another gaming website. I'm wondering how many people are going to leave BF over this decision. I'm considering the pros & cons of stopping my membership here and I've been a member for a very long time

Kam

[Post New]by Janetto on Apr 19, 18 1:48 PM
With the closing of the forums, will they also be closing the Walkthroughs? I would imagine if a game's walkthrough wasn't available, it would encourage the purchase of Collector's Editions, thus generating more revenue.

bfgArinelle
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArinelle on Apr 19, 18 1:53 PM
Hi Janetto,

The recent decision regarding the changes to the forums will only affect the forums. Walkthroughs will continue to be created and released on the walkthroughs site located here:

Big Fish Games Walkthroughs

I hope this information helps! If there are any other questions, you're welcome to reach out to one of our Moderators by PM as well. We'll be happy to assist however we can.

bfgArinelle

Kafinkee
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Kafinkee on Apr 19, 18 3:10 PM
Add me to the list! I depend on the forums when I'm stuck in a game that doesn't have a strategy guide. I've been a member here for several years and don't recall the price of games ever increasing during that time -- I'm grateful for that, something we rarely see happen for any service or goods purchase. Maybe adding a quarter to the cost of games would amount to as much revenue as increasing the cost of membership by a buck or so, I don't know. And I do agree with many others here that member-only forum participation would be just fine.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Apr 19, 18 3:25 PM
PLEASE KEEP THE FORUMS OPEN.

I UNDERSTAND THEY DON'T HAVE THE TRAFFIC THEY USED TO. BUT, THIS IS BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE DON'T KNOW ABOUT THEM ANYMORE...OR THE NEWER PEOPLE NEVER HEARD ABOUT THEM.

PLEASE KEEP THEM OPEN. THEY ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO ME AND SO MANY OTHERS!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL MISS YOU ALL. THIS HAS BEEN THE ONLY PLACE I'VE EVER CHATTED WITH PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET. I KNEW IT WAS SAFE AND EVERYONE WAS SO KIND. SO MANY LAUGHS AND PLAYING GAMES TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME. AND IN THE LATE NIGHT HOURS OR GOING THROUGH ROUGH TIMES IN LIFE, YOU ALL HAVE BEEN SO WONDERFUL AND KIND AND SO MUCH FUN.

I ENJOYED COMING UP WITH THE FIRST RATING SYSTEM FOR GAMES. AND IT WAS DONE WITH GREAT FUN AND HUMOR!

I'M SHOUTING SO CAN HEAR ME AND ALL OF YOU!

Lisa

Edited on 04/19/2018 at 3:57:32 PM PST

Go to: