2 part review

[Post New]by Jezzabelle on Aug 6, 10 9:45 AM

Originality 9/10 Okay, so until I had to hunt for feathers and butterflies (but no crowbars, YAY!) I had given this a 10/10. This is really why I bought the game. It did remind me a little of an old school Sierra series called "King's Quest" but only in that it's a similar sort of setting with cartoon-ish graphics.

The dialog is witty, for the most part. When you hit on certain items, the frogs, for instance, they make an appropriate sound. The good news is that not ALL items make sounds, just enough to make it interesting.

Glitches 6/10 My biggest beef was that for some reason the auto-save feature didn't work on my computer. I had to play two levels from the beginning. The first time was when my hour was up. I was so engrossed that I didn't notice my demo time was up until the game shut down. After purchasing, I restarted and the last save point was the end of the previous chapter. Frustrating.

The second time this happened was when my laptop hibernated and, upon restart, the game had error messages and crashed. When I restarted I, yet again, had to begin from the start of the chapter.

Overall, I'd say there are a lot of nice details. The mouseover on the cards telling you how many items are left in the area you're currently in is a feature I used frequently...on the rare occasion I didn't want to have the dialog read to me (like when I had to replay parts) it was easy enough to click through. Finally, I personally love the fantasy genre so the setting and storyline were huge bonuses for me. Had the developers made the objects just a bit larger (and I mean just a BIT) the game would have easily been one of my top 10 of all time.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Brunhilda and the Dark Crystal

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Aug 6, 10 10:00 AM
Jezzabelle, what a great review!

Welcome to the pond, although I see by your posts you
have been here quite a while. Please post more often
and pretty, please, do more reviews.

manysaying
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by manysaying on Aug 6, 10 2:03 PM
Great game. Wasn't going to bother but based on all comments tried and yeap, it makes me smile. original anad just agree with previous comments. Thanks to those that contribute so quickly when new game is out. Thanks very much to all.

[Post New]by busterskid on Aug 6, 10 3:59 PM
OMG, what an annoying and obnoxious creature...Igrimaced everytime it spoke (Sweetheart)...I lasted almost 15 minutes into this DUD of a game, all the time hoping “it “would go away and maybe the game would at least be playable...no such luck...game sucks even without the creature...

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Aug 6, 10 10:08 PM
Beautiful game. Graphics and animations are very well done. Even the opening menu is better quality than I have seen of some complete games! You play Brunhilda, and are tasked with many magical quests to solve - most involve finding specific amounts of items in order to unlock puzzles in the game. This is more of a find & seek type game than a HOG (which is a breath of fresh air in my opinion!). The objects tend to be very well hidden in some cases and many of them are quite small - there is a magnifying glass feature which is at your disposal though. I found I never really needed to use it and I do not have perfect eyesight but I'm sure many will complain about the size of objects anyway. There is a hint system that recharges in a reasonable amount of time. There are two modes of play available - casual (which holds your hand along the way & is too easy basically) or adventure (no timer or anything, just you're more on your own in playing). I chose adventure & found the game to be just right. High quality game - seems to have a great length as I have played for 2 hours now and only 1/4 of the way through chapter 2. Appears to be 10 chapters long at least, if I recall correctly. Very nice game!

cherzy13
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by cherzy13 on Aug 6, 10 10:37 PM
WAY, WAY, TOO SMALL FOR ME TO CONSTANTLY SQUINT EVEN WHILE WEARING MY GLASSES!! I PLAYED FOR THREE MINUTES AND DELETED THE GAME. SORRY FISHIES THAT I DISAGREED WITH MOST OF U. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND DELIGHTFUL TO WATCH, BUT WAY TO FRUSTRATING.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Aug 6, 10 10:42 PM
I am bummed. I really liked this game at first, but now I'm sick of it. It gets so repetitive. I just started Chapter 5, and I really don't want to do any more of it. The game is very, very well made. The scenes are drawn well and I love the little animations, like bugs or birds flying around. The voice acting, minus the main girl, is also done well. Sadly, the actual gameplay drove me nuts after a while. You find a number of the same kind of item. Then you do it again. And again. And again. Find ten pieces of cheese. Find five logs. Find seven frogs. Every single time, you just find lots of a particular item. Then sometimes you play one of four minigames. It gets tedious after a while. The writing is great, and a lot of it is really hilarious, minus when Brunhilda has to say "it is..." and a verb/adverb. The way she says it is so weird.

I already purchased the game, so maybe I just need some time away from it so I don't get too annoyed and wind up hating it.

Cherubabies
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,247 Posts

[Post New]by Cherubabies on Aug 6, 10 10:58 PM
Great Game with clear, precise instructions! Some of the graphics are a bit small but overall, very impressive!

Definitely a buy for me!

Thanks

MSJMOM
Minnow
Minnow
238 Posts

[Post New]by MSJMOM on Aug 7, 10 11:41 AM
I did purchase the game as I really enjoyed the demo. I am on chapter 4 (I think) and it is taking me between 45 min. to 1 hour to finish each chapter. I like the style of game play...find objects then use them elsewhere. However, my only complaint is that it does not seem to have much variety to the game play. Last night while playing I was getting bored with more of the same 'ol same 'ol. But it is still a good game, and I am determined to finish!!!!

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Aug 7, 10 4:35 PM
Cute - funny and when the demon gets too irritating the mute button works great
It has a humorous story line and nice graphics
Will use my free credit on this one

sportygal2009
Salmon
Salmon
2,503 Posts

[Post New]by sportygal2009 on Aug 7, 10 7:34 PM
The only thing I liked about this game was the characters especially Demon but only about 2 levels of this game was all I could handle. Way too much back tracking having to talk to the same characters several times to get to what you need.

Where this really went down hill for me was how small the items to find were and even with the magnify glass. This game actually started to give me a headache so I had to quit playing. My vision is actually pretty good and I had trouble with this game.

This game in my opinion could of been so much more if there wasn't so much back tracking and the items to find just a bit bigger.

Schmootoo
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by Schmootoo on Aug 8, 10 12:40 PM
I'm likin' this one - yeh the actual gameplay gets repetitive after a while, and some of the items *are* small but I can usually find em with the magnifying box no problem, and the mini-games seem kinda pointless.....but it's the story that's keeping me playing, some of the stuff has made me laugh out loud and the frequent references to popular culture also amuse me.

I'm entertained by this game, but it don't take much to keep me glued to my keyboard hehe

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Aug 9, 10 11:27 AM
I finished this game last night and thought it was great. Items were small but I was able to find most without the magnifier and these eyes are over 60

I found the voice overs pleasant and amusing and liked the story line. It was a nice relaxing, pleasant game and will wait for the next one. Wonder what the demon will be up to in the CITY!!

I give it /

FeyKina
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by FeyKina on Aug 9, 10 6:12 PM
Nice graphics...a fun and funny game. You get used the Demon after a while .
Loved all the other character voices, well done. It has a sense of quality to it.

mafabray
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by mafabray on Aug 9, 10 6:18 PM
I do not like this game,I find it very boring. It does not hold my attention. I usually can't stop playing a game,this one I am not even going to finish. What a waste of my money

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 10, 10 8:26 AM
Imberis wrote:I am bummed. I really liked this game at first, but now I'm sick of it. It gets so repetitive. I just started Chapter 5, and I really don't want to do any more of it. The game is very, very well made. The scenes are drawn well and I love the little animations, like bugs or birds flying around. The voice acting, minus the main girl, is also done well. Sadly, the actual gameplay drove me nuts after a while. You find a number of the same kind of item. Then you do it again. And again. And again. Find ten pieces of cheese. Find five logs. Find seven frogs. Every single time, you just find lots of a particular item. Then sometimes you play one of four minigames. It gets tedious after a while.

I feel the same as the above person. I loved this game to begin with, but by the time I got to chapter 6 or thereabouts, I started to wish the game was going to be over soon.
Also, I had to use the hint button way too often, because I simply couldn't find a lot of very small items.
Chapter 10 was actually the worst of them all. The repetition in trying to defeat youknowwho again and again and again drove me nuts. There just wasn't any end to it. Far too much repetition, I'm afraid. I am now finished, thank goodness.

Edited on 08/11/2010 at 1:26:25 AM PST

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Aug 10, 10 3:41 PM
I'm not "up" on the developers - but this seemed to have the same feel as Emerald City Confidential. I loved it at first - but never finished it - a first for me (after buying). Intriguing, good plot, but something just didn't motivate me to keep going after several hours of play. However, I do plan to keep going on this one and tho I haven't finished the demo, plan to buy. It's quirky, fun, and different from the pack of games out there.

Aka21
Flounder
Flounder
2,025 Posts

[Post New]by Aka21 on Aug 11, 10 3:54 PM
I found the demon's voice very annoying. The mute the demon option did not work for me. I played for fifteen minutes and just didn't like the game. So it's a delete for me.

For those who do like it.........enjoy!

[Post New]by TwinBottles on Aug 12, 10 2:32 AM
Aka21 wrote:I found the demon's voice very annoying. The mute the demon option did not work for me.

Mute option mutes only his comments unrelated to the storyline. Like when you catch a drop in minigame or misclick. When he is talking with other characters his lines are still read. You can mute all voices with a voice volume slider.

Konstanty

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Aug 13, 10 12:12 AM
What FUN! Are there anymore like this? Hated the demon's voice, and the girl seemed less animated than I would have been in her situations, but other than that, absolutely loved the game!

Go to: