Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editi

[Post New]by apraurore on Sep 14, 10 11:53 AM
happygrams18 wrote:Welcome to the pond "apraurore"...we love new fishies!!

I agree with your posting...only things of that period presented should be used in the games. Not this game but others that may be set in the early 1900's have hamburgers, cell phones, tubes of lipstick....you get the picture.

I am going to wait for the regular version of the Poe game...don't want to but this is birthday month in our family and we have 7...yes 7 birthdays to get through financially!!!

We may be game players...but we are not dumb!! In fact, our intelligence is so great that we have become fishies of the greatest game site around.

Thanks Big Fish for the super games you present. Keep on keeping on!

Thank you for the welcome.

Many happy birthdays to you.

I had a feeling there would be some oopses in this game as in the first they stuck in a few typewriters and something that looked distinctly like a blue plastic dustpan. Ahem...

Oh, and they also spelled the Jardin des Plantes the Gardine des Plantes and some weird word for the Gendarmerie when you beat the game. But nevermind

Edited on 09/14/2010 at 11:54:12 AM PST

limey_scale
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by limey_scale on Sep 14, 10 1:31 PM
Awesome, Fantastic, probably the best game I have played for a long, long time.
I give it /5

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by eveoliveros on Sep 14, 10 8:59 PM
One of the best I have ever played. I wished all the games were like this one.

[Post New]by parrotfan on Sep 14, 10 9:47 PM
A brilliant game, was challenging all the way through. Graphics are great and the puzzles require some lateral thinking.
Enjoyed this game as much as the Salem Whitch mysteries game. Am about to download the Rue Museum game, hope this one is as good as the other two.
Keep Poe coming please

Tink44
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by Tink44 on Sep 15, 10 12:41 PM
Feel miffed - screen froze twice and had to reboot twice so don't know if it is any good or not.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Sep 15, 10 4:37 PM
Great game, I have been with BF playing games for a few years now, I don't post unless I really like one.
I should have posted likes for quite a few you have offered, and will try to do so from now on.
This game was one of the Good ones, Good story, Good length of gameplay, and Strategy guide for hints when you get stuck.
Thanks BFG!

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Sep 15, 10 7:46 PM
I like the game for the most part. However, there are a little too many HOG's for an IHOG for my taste. Although, that is my preference and some may not agree.

The one thing that really gets to me is strategy guides that are included in these games. Some of guides stay at the page you have last used and I wish all of them were that way. If not, at least number the pages so that you know where you have been last.

That being said. This is a very good game. Good graphics, good story line, good length. I do not mind spending the extra for this type of game although, I see a lot of complaints on the subject. I have no idea how much work goes into producing these games but I imagine there is lot.

I would like to see a short show showing the production and steps it takes to make one of these. Just an idea.

Thanks Big Fish. This is the best site, as far as I am concerned, for gaming. Please keep up the good work

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editio

[Post New]by saphhire on Sep 17, 10 3:55 AM
Merryweather wrote:I am absolutely STUCK. I have played through to starting the boiler to open the door 3 times and I cannot go further. The hint and help keep telling me that I must connect the wheel, which I thought I did. In the strategy guide it says to use the bolt. I don't have one, cannot locate one and feel like I must be blind.

Other than the above problem, this has been another hit for BFGames.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Sep 17, 10 3:56 AM
the bolt is on the right hand side of the wheel place the wheel 1st though or u won't be able to pick it up again

[Post New]by igorka007 on Sep 17, 10 7:37 AM
I'm Sorry but the thing with razor made me sick....i know it's a good game..ERS great developers with experience.......but at that moment NO HINT...No Strategy guide ..... ?? ????????????
??????????
???????

[Post New]by saratowers on Sep 17, 10 8:40 AM
Excellant game - loved it - one of the best I have played for a while - nice mix of puzzles, hidden objects & brain teasing!! Highly recommend - hurry up with the next!!

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Sep 17, 10 10:38 AM
Amazing game. Difficult puzzles. Noting easy in this game. Graphics beautiful. Challenges entertaining. I fully recomment this game. Luved it.

[Post New]by TAKINABREATHER on Sep 17, 10 10:53 AM
PLEASE HELP !!!!CANNOT FIND BLOG. PLAYING DEMO. WHAT TO DO WITH RAZOR,BRANCH AND STRING!

[Post New]by leonardona on Sep 17, 10 11:15 AM
One of the best games I've played in awhile. Worth the CE price! Little of everything for everyone.

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editio

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Sep 17, 10 2:05 PM
ERS studios you are the best! When I see this developer I know it is a buy for me! Games like Steve the Sheriff, Puppetshow games, Dark Tales Edgar Allan Poe's games, Redemption Cemetery are the best I have ever played! Please more like this!

Edited on 09/17/2010 at 9:22:48 PM PST

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Sep 17, 10 8:44 PM
Very nice. Lovely graphics. I very much like the way the Investigator interacts with the player as a co-investigator. Music goes well, is pleasant and accompanies the scenes in a way that adds and it not an annoyance. I still had to use the Strategy Guide to make it through but having it as a part of the game so I do not have to exit and interrupt the game is a MAJOR PLUS; this is the second game in which I've found the Strategy Guide to be a part of it and I really, really love that.

I'll admit that my favorite silly thing was the chicken. I had to go back to that a couple times to click on the chicken so it would squawk at me; made me chortle every time.

A bit predictable but not enough to hinder enjoyment of the play, spooky enough to please but not cause nightmares (yeah, I know I'm a wimp...so what!)

All in all a good deal, enjoyable play and not at all a waste of money. Now I may go buy the Rue Morgue since I've obviously played these backward.

Well done!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Sep 17, 10 11:54 PM
As a previous astute reviewer noted, if it's from ERS Studios, it's pretty much an automatic "buy" for me too. This game very nicely ties in adventure with inventory with hidden objects, not to mention the Edgar Allan Poe spookiness (but not "scariness"). I really liked how the opening menu screen was done (especially the choice of cursors). The sound effects are as nature intended (meaning very realistic), and the musical background is perfect (sometimes soothing, sometimes suspenseful, but always appropriate to the scene). The cursor changes are very good and give a nudge in the right direction (magnifying glass, hand, etc.) and the "sparkles" help without giving true adventurers too much assistance. The built-in strategy guide (no exiting to the main menu) is a definite plus in my book. The graphics are A+, from twinkling stars to water running in the sewers.

Some games make us feel like 3rd-party observers--this one enlists us as THE important character in the story--what's not to like? I say, if you've never bought a CE b4, this should be your first one!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Sep 18, 10 7:27 AM
Just finished and the game was amazing. Now wonder I'm spoiled rotten. It's the first time I've bought a CE - I got an extra game and 3 punches. I reckon I've done really well. Absolutely brilliant.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Sep 18, 10 9:20 AM
Well, the game was a bit short. Murders in the Rue Morgue had a couple more chapters, and the graphics were way better.

For some reason, I think that the developers cut back a bit on this one. In the Bonus Adventure, one of the things Dupin said was that we were supposed to find out the reason behind the murder, yet it was never explained. Then there was the children's crib.How is a kid related to all this? Nowhere in the game was it stated that they had children. I don't know,it seems to me that they didn't tie up all the loose ends. The "extras" were a bit shorter,too, and the music seemed recycled from the first game.

But I have to say, the Strategy Guide was a complete nightmare. There were things that players were suppose to do, and it was never mentioned in the guide. If there had not been a topic here about it, I doubt that I would have figured out what to do, since it's a new game,and a collector's edition.

Overall, it's an okay game, but not really Collector's edition material.

sammiekatz
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by sammiekatz on Sep 18, 10 1:18 PM
One of the Best Games I have ever played, and have played many, many of them!. I loved being stumped and loved having to work and think and strategize to get things done rather than having too many clues. The puzzles were hard, I thought, and loved that as well! Bought the Collector;s edition and it was not a waste of money like some of the others are. Bravo to the makers of this game!!!!!

Go to: