Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat

[Post New]by scrapping_nancy on Dec 22, 10 10:20 PM
Really enjoyed the game, but again my biggest pet peeve is not being able to play the free hour when the demo ends. What's up with that??? I want to play the full hour not 40minutes and get shut down because this is the end of the demo version. It would have been a definite buy but now a no buy!!!

cleep100
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by cleep100 on Dec 26, 10 3:20 PM
Just started playing and am loving it already! I'm going to try not to consult the walk-through, but a few things have me stumped. Really want to see if I can figure it out myself! (Aw..who am I kidding? I hate being stuck! I'll probably succumb to temptation.)

[Post New]by carolinachick220 on Jan 2, 11 10:53 AM
Bought this one before the trial was finished. Excellent game!!

I had to consult the walkthrough a couple of times, which is a good thing for me; that means it's challenging.

The sole complaint: you have to totally exit the game to consult the walkthrough, unlike the others where you can go into options and uncheck Fullscreen view, thus having the ability to check the walkthrough in a web browser.

Way to go for another awesome game! This one kept me busy for hours!

Happy New Year everyone!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jan 2, 11 4:07 PM
Bought this game finally. I have been wanting it. I had to consult the walkthrough a couple of times. If I hadn't I would never have figured out what to do with the meatgrinder. However, it was enjoyable, the graphics were very good, the music was inobtrusive and fit the story. It was a lot of running back and forth, but I really don't mind that -- would have liked one of those magic maps that zap you from place to place, but that's a minor quibble. I'm not sure how long it took me to play because I didn't keep track. I'm going to guess about 5 hours, possibly six. I'm not terribly speedy. Anyway, great game. I'll be going backwards, because I'm going to get Murders in the Rue Morgue in a couple of days.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Jan 3, 11 10:28 PM
What an awesome game! Very interactive; Seemed to have a purpose for finding hidden objects. Many were used throughout the game. Well -planned;out; great graphics; lots of problem-solving opportunities. The game was named Best Sequel of 2010! I would agree that it is deserving of that award!

lvbrule
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by lvbrule on Jan 6, 11 8:26 PM
Great game....some HOG items were difficult to see but not a big deal...enjoyed the length and journey...great graphics. I tried demo and bought after 5 min. of play. I can see, perhaps, it would be a bit boring to a really fast talented gamer..but for us that like to take our time it is really good. A feature I like is if you have to leave a HOG w/o finding everything..you dont have to refind items...just pickup where you left off. I liked the diversity of puzzles, etc. The story line ,,well, figured it out way way too early but that didnt stop me from enjoying the game.

A fun game to take a break w/while I was unholidaying the house.
I do recommend this game and happy new year to all! 4 out of 5

kroozkitty
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,144 Posts

[Post New]by kroozkitty on Jan 9, 11 7:55 PM
Wow, just finished..... ABSOLUTELY GREAT GAME !!

Loved it... hard but not too hard.... objects in hidden object scenes not too small or hard to locate, but not easy to find either.

Fabulous story, great entertainment value.

5 out of 5, for me.....

P.S. lvbrule, loved your term "unholidaying the house", LOL, very politically correct. I was actually calling it "deChristmasizing".... same thought process though.

lvbrule
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by lvbrule on Jan 12, 11 9:52 PM
LOL kroozkitty! I liked yours too! Happy New Year!

MiamMiam
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by MiamMiam on Jan 26, 11 12:46 AM
Great Great Great game. It seems to go on forever. Challenging in all respects without being so bizarre that the solution is illogical. Hidden objects were a bit too hard for my taste, but not for the wrong reasons. The graphics were good, the list names not too obscure, objects not too small, or same colored -- just a little too cleverly hidden for my taste.

I do wish the hint button refreshed faster, after all it is optional and I am here for fun. Like many games I do feel as if the end started to get rushed. The first half was so complicated then the last bit so simple. It is almost as if the developers were running out of ideas. However it wasn't so bad, and it is a super long game anyway.

I also like the way each stage of the puzzle was kept pretty much contained. The setting covers a lot of area so unless you didn't use the keys when you found the locks, there is not TOO much running way back and forth.

Of course the story is predictable if you have read Poe, and done well.
I can't wait for the next one.

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Jan 28, 11 7:12 AM
After playing Murders in the Rue Morgue, I decided to try this one and LOVED it. The story kept my interest, and surprised me at the end. I enjoyed moving from place to place, and the graphics were wonderfully pleasing to the eye. I got stuck a few times and had to use the walkthrough, but that's ok, it means that the game was not too easy. Also means I will have lots of replay value playing it again and making myself NOT use the walkthrough. Another great game from ERS.

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Feb 2, 11 8:25 PM
just finished playing this one and i can say i was not disappointed! my (teenage - probably not a good game for small children) kids and i had a great time playing it together. the graphics are great and the puzzles were fun. we never needed the walkthru, just some patient persistence for some of the more challenging parts. the game was quite a long one and i felt like we got our monies worth. if you've ever read poe you won't find the ending to be terribly surprising, but because of the length of the game the conclusion is still satisfying and many things in the game were very cleverly done. i'm not really a HOG player tbh, usually i stick with TM or sim type games, but this was really fun! happy gaming

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Feb 3, 11 11:00 AM
yes yes a great game ....held my interest to the end ... had to go to the walkthrough a couple of times...omg was i stupid....a couple of translation problems tea pots hairbrushes etc but not too serious....

mtgirl
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,151 Posts

[Post New]by mtgirl on Feb 3, 11 2:03 PM
This is a definate favorite for me. Much better than the first,which I didn't like too much. Looking forward to another.

valhollis
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by valhollis on Mar 5, 11 8:18 AM
This was an outstanding game. I loved the artwork, story and puzzles. This game kept me entertained for hours, great length and a bargain for the money. The first Dark Tales: Murder at the Rue Morgue was good but this game was much more interesting. It was well paced with the right amount of challenge and mystery. It is obvious that a lot of hard work went into creating this game. I look forward to playing more games with this level of sophistication.

mlk2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

B*O*R*I*N*G

[Post New]by mlk2 on Mar 22, 11 9:34 PM
I uninstalled the game after 5 minutes. Glad I didn't buy it outright.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Mar 29, 11 6:42 AM
I really loved this game...Lot's of mini games. Story nice. I've played other Edgar Allen Poe games and they were fun to play too! It had a decent ending. Great game.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Jun 9, 11 1:01 PM
I really liked the game design in this one, the way new locations opened up in manageable sizes of 3-4 rooms at a time and the way hidden object scenes appear either n new locations or places near where you need to use inventory items to avoid needless backtracking. And even when the full map is revealed, it's still easy to navigate around.

Despite the title "Dark Tales" this wasn't a scary game at all. I skimmed the short story upon which this game is based and it is indeed a disturbing story, although not many of those elements made it into the game.

The artwork and music were great, although I found the hidden object scenes kind of similar to each other in appearance. The game was a little on the longer side. It dragged a little [ Spoiler, highlight to read ] after you find the fake body in the gazebo because it seemed like you were at the end of the game and then... you have to go do laundry. But that's just a minor quibble.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 20, 11 4:40 AM
Graphics – 3 stars
Story – 3 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 3 stars
Overall – 4 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

Edited on 07/20/2011 at 4:45:30 AM PST

[Post New]by rebeccartist on Sep 16, 11 8:53 AM
I played this with the spouse, as we are wont to do many times. I enjoyed Murders at the Rue Morgue, a lot, and have liked a few other ERS games. I enjoyed the first hour demo of this one, too. And we were even stuck on the slider puzzle lock when the hour was up. (Good sign if we're stuck on a puzzle).

But after playing a number of hours, the game started to feel really, really tedious. Oh, look, another place where we have to find some obscure key to fit in there in order to open it and receive another obscure thing that for some reason was put *there* for no logical reason whatsoever........ ad nauseum. Don't get me wrong - I sign on for all of the find-this-key-wherever when I start one of these games. I'm willing to explore like mad, and love that; I'm willing to be stuck because I can't get access to a pathway, or building.

This was simply going on forever, felt like, and not in a good way. The puzzles were less and less challenging. It became a matter of simply putting something from your inventory onto the puzzle "area" and bingo! puzzle was "solved." For us, everything started to feel really tedious -- to repeat myself, again, and be just as tedious as the game was, lol.

We deleted it before finishing, when I saw in the walkthrough that we still had 2 chapters left. Highly disappointed. After a disappointing time with the Redemption Cemetery sequel, and Puppet Show 3 (and I loved both of those original games).... I'm going to steer clear of ERS games for a while.

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Oct 3, 11 10:27 AM
I played this one yesterday while sick with a head cold. It kept me entertained for hours! I couldn't stop playing.

I loved the beautiful scenery (I want that estate!), and the plot was engaging and filled with interesting twists. The music was pleasant and not intrusive. I would have liked voice acting for Monsieur Dupin and the other characters, but that's just my preference. One thing I liked very much was that there was an in-game reason given for the high volume of puzzle locks around the grounds - the idea that the estate was originally built by an illusionist who enjoyed that sort of thing made a lot of sense.

Minor quibbles: I was annoyed in the last arc of the game, where I had to go all the way through the estate grounds to get to the main portion of the house, and then back to get to the laundry room - maybe there was a shorter way to get there, but I couldn't figure out how. That was tedious. There were also a few puzzles where I found the solution to be slightly unintuitive, and I eventually developed the mindset of 'try everything.' That was rare, though, I considered most of the non-H0 puzzles enjoyable. The H0 scenes started to bog me down after a while, and sometimes I was rather bewildered by the things I was expected to find. (One time I was told to find a comb - and the hint showed me that it actually wanted a BRUSH.)

On the whole, though, an excellent mystery game. I had the privilege of beta testing the next game in this series, which enthralled me (and was my introduction to the series), so I'm eager to see that released. I would give this one a 9 out of 10.

Edited on 10/05/2011 at 11:30:49 PM PST

Go to: