diggermonty
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

Re:Your Comments And Reviews For Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets

[Post New]by diggermonty on Dec 9, 10 7:26 PM
I expected something spookier. It's suitable for those who are easily scared. I found it quite tame. The graphics were good but not eye catching. The scenery was dreary and dull. I did not find the game compelling enough to stay with it past my bed time, and the ending was wishy-washy to say the least. In fact, I found it a bit dull. Nothing new.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Dec 10, 10 6:09 AM
I didn't buy this before playing the demo because of the reviews on here. I just finished the demo and am going to purchase. I really enjoyed what I have played this far. I made it a bit less than 1/4 the way through playing the demo and I was playing as fast as possible to see how far I could get. I think that I will get pretty good play time while relaxing to play. The hidden object scenes were not terribly difficult but a challenge. The story so far has kept me intrigued. The hint charges quickly although I only used it a couple times.
One thing that I am disappointed in is the fact that so far I have found only 1 brief easy mini game.
The music don't bother me but then I have a tendency to block that out as I never really remember even hearing music after the first few minutes
So far the only thing I can see that would really disappoint me here is if the rest goes by to fast. I like to get my moneys worth as far as length goes. I will let you know after I finish as to final length.
GAME ON!!

P.S. Did want to say that if it bothers you when Hidden Objects aren't period correct then this will aggravate you. Takes place in 1600 and some objects were not even invented until 1950. Perhaps the witches had more going on than we think!

Edited on 12/10/2010 at 6:14:36 AM PST

jessikart
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by jessikart on Dec 10, 10 1:10 PM
Enjoyed the game - it's not anything earth shattering, but I thought it was altogether well made, and it must be one of the few IH0Gs I've played where I haven't had to resort to the walkthrough!

Mini games were a good mix of lots of different types (I skipped one or two), and generally it was fairly obvious where to use items in the inventory.

The ending was a bit tame, but it is nice to finish a game and know that that's it, finished, rather than having no resolution because the developers are setting up a sequel.

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Dec 10, 10 2:37 PM
Really enjoyed the game which is very reminiscent of "Midnight Mysteries: Salem Witch Trials". Story line has you rescuing 4 girls through different means. The design is very much in character like Colonial Americana folk art......simple illustrations with straight lines, and very stylized with no frills or ornamentation....classic for the time period. There is an entire village to explore.....every thing from houses, barns to tailor shop to mill, to gallows and on to the cemetery.........lots of going here there and everywhere [loved it] , back tracking, and going everywhere again, ha! There is a map and a hint system for figuring out the tasks to do. Lots and lots of great HOG scenes! [yipee ]. There are perhaps 10 puzzles, some I skipped..........enjoyed figuring out the special code writing in the school room. It plays long [I did it on and off for about 5 days], and would give it ...... ....*smack

gaylele
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by gaylele on Dec 11, 10 11:50 AM
I still wanna know.....are they gonna fix this game or not? It's been long enough...if they aren't gonna fix it, I'M NOT BUYING IT!!!!! If this run of poor quality, unplayable games continue, I'll just cancel my membership and go elsewhere!

reddleman
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by reddleman on Dec 11, 10 2:56 PM
It was a very enjoyable game to play.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Dec 16, 10 2:46 AM
This game really irked me. The music and the sound played when you found an object, really grated on my nerves. For me, a game has to have it 'all' before I buy it. It's a bit of a pity as there seems to be lots to do and many places to visit.

rubylace66
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by rubylace66 on Dec 16, 10 3:05 PM
this was quite simply a fabulous game...mesmerising...hard to find things..didnt know where to go ...but the difficulty made it interesting for me
if the developers make another one like this i will buy it sight unseen
absolutely fabulous...the only gripe was the music..didnt like that
but great game

[Post New]by SquareKitty on Dec 16, 10 11:54 PM
Fine game, graphics a bit dodgy, especially 'round the river location, but otherwise ran well & I agree that the horses were lovely. Only thing was way too many hidden object games (as I do tire of those, prefer the puzzles) with dark colours and teeny-weeny items that were quite hard to find and strained the eyes a bit.

Story was interesting enough and overall a good game. I'd probably give it a 3/5

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Dec 18, 10 11:55 AM
Don't know if this was already mentioned, but the map is somewhat useful in another way. It blinks white (like a diamond) on any building that has a **** scene you have active but not yet played. So if you're roaming around wondering what to do next, check the map. If it's flashing you know there's a **** scene. If not, it means you possess an item(s) that you can currently use.

It was a good enough game...Decent length. Some decent puzzles. I did find several **** scenes a bit hard to see the outer borders no matter how I turned my monitor. Played glitch/error free the whole way.

Biggest disappointment was the ending. You just meet up with a baddie and can't do anything? I don't want to say more as I'm already bordering on spoiler, but I will say the narrator was condescending and annoying.

Overall it's a buy at 6.99 or 2.99 but no more. If you're struggling between this game and another one, lean towards the other one if you don't like the dark scenes or harder puzzles.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Dec 22, 10 7:25 PM
I really do NOT like games that are not true to the period and in which objects are not in proportion. Unfortunately this is one of those games. The map is interesting in that it does not "unfold" until you have reached a location. There is no jumping from scene to scene, so put your roller skates on! Graphics are somewhat dark, and the HOG scenes are pretty scattered. Few, but interesting mini-games you can play or skip... I only recall one that had a reset button, not good in my book.

On the other side, there is a lot of play to this game, and it will test your memory. The ending was a let down, but all in all, I don't regret buying this game, just won't play it again. I highly suggest you play the demo and decide for yourself

For me, the pros and cons of the game were 60:40....

RJF5
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by RJF5 on Dec 23, 10 10:58 AM
This all is a lot of bull.

[Post New]by lovlly63 on Dec 24, 10 1:54 PM
i am stuck don't know where to go, what is next can anyone help me?

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Dec 24, 10 10:05 PM
lovlly63 wrote:i am stuck don't know where to go, what is next can anyone help me?

Have you had a chance to look at the Blog Walkthrough posted free here at Big Fish Games? It has step by step instructions for each chapter, including marked screenshots, so it can usually help.

To get to the Blog Walkthrough, click on the Try this Game link at the top of this page, then click on the link to the Blog Walkthrough.

You should also take a look at the forum post "How the HINT system works in this game," as it may help.

Good luck!
Robin

1misssam
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by 1misssam on Dec 26, 10 2:31 PM
Was truly enjoying this game until it froze Great story!! Great action!! loved the play action and the chose of were to go and when. Unfortunetly after uninstalling/reinstalling I was still frozen out. Thanks to all who also suffered and had suggestions, they usually work but not this time. I really wish BGF would have found this trouble for us fish first.

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Dec 28, 10 7:13 PM
Just finished the game. With eight pages of comments, some of this might be redundant.

This game has a lot going for it. The choice of coloring and images does give it an old-time, creepy feel. Sepia is a good word: So is drab. Not a lot of color. It is heavy on the H0G scenes, which got a bit too much for me. If you like to play the whole way through a game in one sitting, I don't think this one is for you. The H0G scenes are scattered junk piles with period items AND things (like lemons) that I can't imagine anyone in Salem having.

The city of Salem is big for a walking-around IH0G game, but there is a map. And, if there is a H0G site that you haven't hit yet, sparkles on the map will indicate where. I found the map mostly helpful, but a few times I am sure I turned right and ended up going left. The 'sparkles' don't help you figure out what to do with the items you get for finishing a H0G scene.

Continued

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Dec 28, 10 7:26 PM
There are no people in the city, although you will located the missing girls, and there are horses. There are warning signs on most of the houses saying 'Keep out.' Overall a creepy atmosphere without going to far.

Besides the map, there is a list of tasks. To the left of each is a box with the '?' in it. If you need a hint, click on the '?.' Thanks to those hints (I needed one) I didn't need to use the walkthrough at all. A big plus in my book!

The H0G scenes were clear enough. Some small items, but findable. I did use the Help a few times because I was frustrated and, in a few cases, because I just couldn't find some d*** thing. Hints seem to recharge quickly.

There is a lot to do, so keep an eye on your inventory. Some unique actions are required. Not may mini games, but most are do-able and SKIPPABLE. A few are really hard. I skipped two. One was too hard and the other was the kind of slider that I hate.

There is a good bit of walking around and some back tracking. You can't get from Mill to below the waterfall directly--have to go through town.

The only thing I started to find frustrating was I had to remember in what buildings a few things were, like chained up girls, unopened cabinets, etc.

An excellent game with hours of game play. A little too heavy on the H0G scenes for me and bit drab, but a great game.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

nightmusk
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by nightmusk on Jan 2, 11 8:59 AM
a def buy for me
absolutly loved it

[Post New]by annie61 on Jan 13, 11 9:38 PM
I am at the very end of the game, but I cannot get the 4th girl to take the bottle of Maple syrup. Anyone else have this problem? I do not want to start over because it has taken me hours to get this far.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 21, 11 9:08 PM
The graphics are well done. The gameplay is a mix of HOG and IHOG. There are minigames which range from challenging to what the heck?. The storyline takes us back to old Salem and the witch trials.

This game is a B+.

Go to: