jacksjen wrote:uhm, merry christmas everyone

and to you

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Jewelry Secret: Mystery Stones

[Post New]by rainice on Dec 13, 10 2:45 PM
This may have been an ok game as far as story line goes if I'd managed to stay with it long enough, but the tiny objects in scenes with a yellowish glow, besides being hard to find ,were giving me a headache. The music, seemingly pleasant at first soon became totally annoying.No buy no way.

ataloss
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by ataloss on Dec 13, 10 5:47 PM
Didn't really care for this one. Only played 15 min. as the Parisian music got on my nerves. BF has other HOGs that are better than this one. No buy for me.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Dec 13, 10 7:30 PM
Wow. Some real hostility here.

Well, I demoed the game, as I am a jewelry nut, and anything dealing with jewelry will get my attention! The game has issues, for sure. But I'm not going to say it is a bad game, because I enjoyed the demo.

But since the developer is good enough to come here and communicate, I will be explicit about my likes and dislikes.

Cons:

- I found that I had to double click some things to get them to work, like even entering my profile. Sometimes progressing through the dialog took a double click, sometimes not. That was kind of quirky, and not in a good way.
- Hotspots on the items were exceedingly picky - I had to click around on several objects, including the last fuse, to get them to "take".
- Some objects were misnamed - like a blotter being called an ink stamp, but perhaps that is a difference in vernacular English.
- The translation in the dialog, while adequate, was not always accurate, and many of us find that a bit annoying.
- Also, some of us don't like anachronisms in HOG scenes. This one wasn't as bad as some, but still, bowling pins (even antique ones) and soccer balls in ancient Egypt???
- I'm not a big fan of flashlight scenes in HOGs, and though this one was not overly taxing, I could have done without it. (Prime Suspects was the worst game ever in this regard, LOL.)
- There is no option for custom cursor or not. I prefer not to use custom cursors, since they can be slow - and this one wasn't accurate for me.

Pros:

- Clear graphics, very nice artwork. I did not find the objects overly small, but I do have a 24" monitor. And sometimes when I did use a hint, it was headslap time, LOL. I didn't find objects terribly hard to find, but clicking on them was sometimes difficult, as I said above.
- Nice, location relevant music. Music is really, really subjective, and what one likes, others hate. The music in MCF 7 is enough to drive me crazy, but I like music in games that others don't, so...
- No penalty for misclicks, and recharging hints.
- Interesting story, and enough dialog to keep it going.
- Puzzles not overly hard, but skip option is always nice.
- Looks like a decent length. It took me 51 minutes to do the whole demo, but since it was getting harder as I went... And some of the scenes in the preview looked like they would take a while.

On the whole, I liked it, at least as much as I can like a straight HOG. It is one of those games that is really fun to play in a kind of zen mode

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Dec 13, 10 7:46 PM
when you just want to play something that requires concentration but not a lot of thought. I will probably end up buying it, because I got into the story, and the coming scenes looked interesting - especially the 1950's one!

I do agree that the developer seems a little defensive, but then, given some of the commentary here, it's understandable. They don't have to come here and talk to us at all, and I think it is commendable when they do. And that takes a certain amount of courage, especially in the face of some of the rude comments that people made.

Obviously the dev is someone who is not a native English-speaker, and when you find fault with their ability to communicate, it is a slap in the face - at least they are trying. It probably doesn't feel good to some forum members who are ESL people, either.

It is certainly okay to say you don't like the game - and why. Developers learn from that. Just saying it sucks doesn't help them do better next time. It's okay to say you like it, too. No game will be everyone's favorite. Different strokes and all that.

Personally, if I'm gonna play a HOG, it might as well be challenging. The dev is right about that. Should everything be soooo easy to find? I think not. What's the point, then?

Anyway, I give it It is not a great game, it is a good, average HOG with a few puzzles and minis. If it didn't have the double-click glitches for me, I'd give it another half thumb, LOL. Though I did find that exiting and coming back to it eliminated some of that. Not bad for a first production.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Dec 13, 10 7:57 PM
I only have one thing to say about this game and that it is EXTREMELY BORING! I don't know why they can't get games like they use to. They must not care to much about their customers any more to expect us to buy the games they been putting out recently!

Maybe the problem is that this game IS like the games they used to get! But we have moved on. Go back and play MCF Huntsville, or Prime Suspects, or Mysteryville, or any of the early HOGs and get back to us on how exciting they were! Some of us at the Pub are replaying all the MCF games back to back, and it's amazing how easy the early ones seem now, and how challenging they were back then!

ETA: I just updated my nVidia drivers, and the game is running much better. Still had to double click to enter a new profile so I could play again, but after that, I had much better results with the objects not being as touchy.

I had 9 minutes left, so began a new profile. Even knowing where to look for stuff, I couldn't do the whole demo, so I don't understand how anyone can say the demo only lasted 10 minutes. Someone for whom it was so short, did you see postcards at the end???

Edited on 12/13/2010 at 11:04:54 PM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Dec 13, 10 9:05 PM
Well, perhaps I just got lucky here, but I installed the game, and rather enjoy it. I enjoy most all HOG's... easy to more difficult, but prefer the more difficult. I do wear my reading glasses when playing a game like this, but that is Ok. I love the challenge of trying to find the 'hidden' objects in this game. There is also no game penalty for clicking around too much, if one fancy's that idea, however, I prefer to take my patient time in finding all objects, and only resort to the hint button if absolutely necessary, which is very seldom..

The graphics are very pleasing to look at, as is the variety of cultural music (from Parisian to Egyptian, etc), befitting each different scene. The story line is cute as well.

No technical glitches on my end, and I installed it on one of my older PC's (with a very small monitor screen), for which I have not installed any new graphic cards, etc. in a very long time, yet still, absolutely no tech. problems on my end. Also had no issues at all with the 'point & click', which plays very smoothly on my end.

I did notice the trial was not a full 60 minutes long (which is preferable), but that is Ok. I usually can tell if a game is a purchase or not for me, within 15 minutes... not always, but most of the time. For this game, I will be using one of my game credits. According to the trial ending, it looks like several different enjoyable scenes are left to play. I do hope it is a long one.

I'm snowed & iced in, and caught up on my work, so now will sit back and enjoy this game. Tonight, I don't feel up to action packed, but rather a more relaxing game.

Kudos to the developers for making this, a nice, relaxing game to enjoy, IMO at least.

Edited on 12/13/2010 at 9:19:06 PM PST

[Post New]by vero66uy on Dec 13, 10 9:37 PM
Couldn't get into the story because the free trial ended after 10 minutes. Graphics are ok, music is very annoying. After having purchased hundreds of games from BFG, I'm kind of dissappointed on the quality of their games lately. For every really good game there a dozen duds. Too bad.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Dec 14, 10 6:35 AM
Good standard-hog (classic hog), but not interactive enough for me. No buy for me

CLEMONSTWAIN
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by CLEMONSTWAIN on Dec 14, 10 6:52 AM

I lasted 22 minutes and clicked off with a feeling I had wasted 20 of the minutes.

A straight HOG with very difficult to find shadowed objects. A " no buy " for me but
please compare postings. Others loved the game.

I ran the game on Win 7 without a hitch.

I'll stay outside the controversy and suggest you try and form your own opinion...
of the game.

oldwife7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by oldwife7 on Dec 14, 10 12:13 PM
have to agree with everyone I don't mind looking for a while, but really got fed up with this one, even with a clue you could'nt always see where things were. Awful game.

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Dec 14, 10 12:42 PM
My, my. Whatever happened to polite criticism like "this game isn't my cup of tea" or "I don't care for the music"? For a second here, I thought I was reading the transcript of a AM radio talk show.

Seriously, I like the game. I keep my monitor on the bright side so I really didn't have any problems finding objects and I found the graphics to be generally clear. The objects are on the somewhat difficult side to pick out but, honestly, I found that a nice change from the current trend of absurdly easy hidden object games where the so-called "hidden" objects all but jump up and down waving a flag. Many of them are very pleasant with gorgeous graphics and music but, sometimes I want to be challenged (and, for the record, I only used hints twice during the demo). There is no timer and unlimited hints.

Yeah, if you don't like straight HOGs (as in the older MCF games) then you aren't going to like the game. Also, if your mouse cursor is moving slowly or jerkily, that usually means your system is underpowered for it. It would be really nice if the developer would add an option to use the system cursor instead of the custom one - that would mostly likely help with that.

I wasn't a huge fan of the flashing transitions and found them a bit grating,
Music was nice but it did loop maybe a bit too much - some more variety would be nice.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Dec 14, 10 1:41 PM
phatkhat wrote:I do agree that the developer seems a little defensive, but then, given some of the commentary here, it's understandable. They don't have to come here and talk to us at all, and I think it is commendable when they do. And that takes a certain amount of courage, especially in the face of some of the rude comments that people made.

Obviously the dev is someone who is not a native English-speaker, and when you find fault with their ability to communicate, it is a slap in the face - at least they are trying. It probably doesn't feel good to some forum members who are ESL people, either.

It is certainly okay to say you don't like the game - and why. Developers learn from that. Just saying it sucks doesn't help them do better next time. It's okay to say you like it, too. No game will be everyone's favorite. Different strokes and all that.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Dec 14, 10 1:52 PM
phatkhat wrote:
I only have one thing to say about this game and that it is EXTREMELY BORING! I don't know why they can't get games like they use to. They must not care to much about their customers any more to expect us to buy the games they been putting out recently!

Maybe the problem is that this game IS like the games they used to get! But we have moved on. Go back and play MCF Huntsville, or Prime Suspects, or Mysteryville, or any of the early HOGs and get back to us on how exciting they were! Some of us at the Pub are replaying all the MCF games back to back, and it's amazing how easy the early ones seem now, and how challenging they were back then!

I was thinking the same thing when reading through these posts. How times change!!!

I'm beta'ing a new game from Codeminion and it is great. Working with the translations into 'American' English can be a challenge, but I also began wondering why we think everything should be in 'American' English when a large percentage of BF customer base is not from the USofA. How spoiled we are!

This beta has shown me how hard it can be to try to please everyone. It has also shown me how hard developers try to put out a quality product and to 'keep up with the times'.

I was really sad to see some of the posts here being so destructive. When developers are kind enough to come on these forums to 'talk' with us, the least we can do is be constructive. Helping them to improve games is one way we'll get better games.

To the developers -- try doing a beta with the gamers out here -- and not a beta where you are only trying out the GM interface and demo. A true beta (closed?) of the entire program. Many of us would really like to help make a good game better.

Edited on 12/14/2010 at 5:27:22 PM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Dec 14, 10 3:02 PM
Lesson well learned, mcurty!

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Dec 15, 10 8:51 AM
mhatfie wrote:
satexasgirl wrote:Welcome to the forum Christmaswish...Thanks for being willing to disagree with the majority of the fishies up to this point. I respect your opinion.

That being said, I have to agree with the majority on this game. To Jewsecretdev... I like the fact that you're reading the posts in this forum and responding to them. On the other hand, you seem more accepting of praise than legitimate complaints. In my opinion you come across as defensive as opposed to contrite. I am well aware that beta testing does not necessarily mean a game will be released bug free. I also realize that a game might, for whatever reason work fine on one computer and poorly on another. It’s happened to me several times, though for the most part the vast majority of the games I’ve downloaded and played on Big Fish have worked fine. To blame a problem on a player’s system is poor decision on your part. I had the exact same problem and my system is completely up to date. I’ve actually had the pleasure of dealing personally with the president of a fairly well known game development company & no, I’m not being facetious. I presented to him a number of concerns after beta testing a game. He was much more sympathetic than you appear to be. I am well aware that this game was designed to be a hidden object game. That does not mean that the objects have to be so miniscule that they are impossible to find nor does it mean that the hint button doesn’t work as well as it should in the dark-(where we had to find the fuses). I like a challenge as much as the next person, but that’s ridiculous. At first, it did not bother me that I finished the sample version with 25 minutes left in my hour was up, but I honestly found myself wishing I had the full hour in order to see if issues continued or improved as the game progressed. As of now I cannot honestly see myself purchasing this game because of 1) cursor, hint, too small objects, etc. and 2) my perception of your attitude towards those that had issues with the game.

Well said

I agree with you 100% Satexasgirl, very well written, I think Jewsecretdev has a lot of learning to do when it comes to making games, and dealing with paying customers.
I didn't even finish the sample and I love straight HOG's .

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Dec 15, 10 9:50 AM
The reason I didn't even finish the demo, which is very rare, was because I just wasn't having any fun.
I love straight and interactive HOG's, and I love a challenge, BUT this game was made very cheap IMHO.
The items where very small, which I don't have a problem with, I play a lot of the games, that others complain, the items are to small.
But when you click and click, and it still doesn't pick up the item, than it becomes frustrating, so I use a hint, which I never do, and WAA LAA..its the same item I was clicking on, bad game mechanics.
The music grated on my last nerve, and for me the graphics looked cheap also, for me there just wasn't any quality, anywhere in this poorly made game.
I hadn't read any of the post prior, to playing the sample, but decided to see what others thought, afterwards.
After seeing how the developer delt with the customers complaints, there was no professionalism in their responses, just a defensive attitude, praising the good comments, and blaming the legitimate complaints on customers and their computers, which doesn't surprise me after seeing the game.
There have been other developers, here on the BF site, that where professional, and answered both positive and negative comments, from customers without the attitude, so you can't blame everything on the developers lack of proper english, causing people to misunderstand what they are trying to say...SORRY.

[Post New]by conbhope on Dec 15, 10 12:45 PM
Been playing BFG games forever and never commented but this one deserves a comment. Having read most of the posts here, I have to agree with the majority. This game was AWFUL. Objects didn't appear to be what I was looking for (rusty saw is one example) and the blend between an object and where it was made it impossible to see the object. I don't mind games with tiny or well hidden objects but this one - oy vey!! I had the same issue with the fuse in the second scene as many others. Played all of 27 minutes and was done with the trial. Won't be buying for sure.

As for the comments by the developer rep, you should be ashamed of yourself. I am a business owner and if one of my employees blamed the client for the mistakes or errors we made or the employee did not accept responsibility gracefully, they would be out on their ear. Customer service is more important than anything when you wish to sell a product to someone.

[Post New]by jewsecretdev on Dec 15, 10 1:15 PM
Please write me where I blamed at least someone on this board? All that I wrote to DOCTOR GOOD is something that I have suggested that his computer have not the last graphics driver, and I did so in order that would find the problem and then help him. Tell me please how I had insulted him?

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Dec 15, 10 2:28 PM
jewsecretdev wrote:Please write me where I blamed at least someone on this board? All that I wrote to DOCTOR GOOD is something that I have suggested that his computer have not the last graphics driver, and I did so in order that would find the problem and then help him. Tell me please how I had insulted him?

Thanks for coming back. I have spent quite a long time reading this whole thread and I apparently missed some comments. I did note that you suggested to someone to check to make sure their computer was up-to-date. That is the same response that BF CS would have given. I also noticed that you suggested that technical problems be moved to the Tech forum which is an appropriate response. It seems that some on here just want to blame and criticize without actually helping to solve problem. Note: you do have one comment on tech forum that is trying to help solve problems.

Go to: