MiamMiam
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™

[Post New]by MiamMiam on Jan 22, 11 11:51 PM
( I apologize for the lack of tech speak here)

Though still the best in the genre, I found MCF 13th skull to be longer, shinier, better produced than previous MCF's but,...just not as satisfying to play. Almost as if the whole purpose was to experience the game and not really work at playing it. It almost felt formulaic and over produced. This started in Dire Grove, but I felt it stronger here. Which isn't to say I didn't think it was a good game. With MCF I can just assume that they get so many things right (clear graphics, hints,), but it tends to leave me with higher expectations.

Some things that annoyed this time:
-- Objective/Adventure too easy. I felt like I was constantly told what to do and where to go. I like wandering around and trying to figure it out myself. My ideal game difficulty is Hard Adventure, Med-hard but innovative mini games, Med-Hard but clear hidden objects. I felt the mini games/locks were almost too hard without being too original. There was no way to adjust the challenge level in this game.

--Too much walking. I like non-linear games but it seems to be a trend these days to walk back and forth, back and forth from one corner of the game to the other several time in succession.

-- I didn't care for the live acting. Two things that draw me to an HOG adventure are excellent art/drawings, fantasy creep I call it. The live actors took that scary feeling away. I also like the feeling of abandonment (empy house/asylum). I didn't like having people around (but that's just a personal preference.)

I was seduced by MCF with RH and fell in love RTR so I hope they find they're way back to that style again.

p.s. Please, please can I have some more of those intricate door locks/mini games like in the first Ravenhearst? I loved them but haven't seen them since.

SPOILER - I was pretty disturbed that the kid in the whole thing was involved and then dies in the end. I would have preferred her to have been kidnapped and so the detective could have rescued here.

Edited on 01/23/2011 at 1:03:44 AM PST

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Jan 23, 11 11:56 AM
Well, I am very conflicted about my feelings about MCF: 13th Skull. While for most of the first part of the game you are given lots of direction [a glaring exception was trying to figure out where "down-the-lane" was to deliver the gumbo], so that was OK, but at times with the puzzles it was like "what-the-heck"? The live people were a bit too gabby and distracting, also when you add video to a game it greatly adds to the files you have to download........I would rather have more things to do and scenes than video for that reason. My preference is "voice-over" in stead of reading lots and lots of text or video. Not enough pure HOG scenes for me.........the "errand-boy" routine got old very soon. Trying to figure out how to raise the cannons [many, many thanks WilJul or I'd still be in the dang swamp], and the hassle at the end with the never ending "hurry up detective" was a real turn off. Lastly, it seemed like stress and work instead of fun and adventure. Sorry, but it missed the mark for me, and that's a shame because it is a visually beautiful game with a good story line. +1/2 ... .....*smack

[Post New]by spunkygirl99 on Jan 23, 11 10:15 PM
For the record, I've enjoyed playing all the Mystery Case Files games. 13th Skull was no exception. I read a lot of reviews for this game, and in spite of most people, I enjoyed the live people and in fact thought it was kinda neat. I like a lot of dialog in a game, and the interaction with the characters made it feel like I was really investigating a crime.

I didn't, however like the ending so much. After solving the final puzzle, the game just sorta ended...very abruptly in fact, and I was left feeling a little cheated. I hope that was some sort of gimmick and they are planning on releasing a part two. ??

Anyways, I liked all the characters and it was overall a very fun game.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Jan 24, 11 8:24 AM
[These is a great game. Loved it and can't wait till part two comes. Had no tech problems. The only problems I had were my own.

[Post New]by Fidelma9 on Jan 26, 11 12:47 PM
I have a one-word comment for this game: Boring! I'm halfway through and am so bored I'm not going to bother going any further. I'm tired of gathering cleaning supplies, crayons and gumbo ingredients, and fixing an air conditioner and other things that have nothing to do with the story line. In fact, there doesn't seem to be much of a story line. This is the worst game that I have ever bought and I regret having done so.

helenzp
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by helenzp on Jan 26, 11 3:07 PM
I just finished and loved it! I found myself wanting to board the pirate ship but ended with those two old coots talking to me. ) I 'm new to Big Fish and found this one quite a challenge. I needed the hints sometimes.

dlylight
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by dlylight on Jan 26, 11 6:08 PM
Just finished MCF 13th Skull. What an awesome game. Loved the story, scenes and characters. Great job! MCF just keep getting better and better.

LuckyKate
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by LuckyKate on Jan 27, 11 11:34 PM
All games in this series are cooooool! LOVE IT!

ethan406
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by ethan406 on Jan 28, 11 4:28 PM
I just finished the game. I had a really hard time figuring out how to raise the cannons. I don't know if it was me or the instructions. I thought I was not going to be able to finish the game..I finally figured out how to solve the map information. The guy at the end became very annoying, I fianlly turned the voice over off. It was a pretty good game, but I like the puzzles in Ravenhearst better. I'm just waiting for the next MCF for the Ravenhearst series.I also didn't like that a little girl was in on a scam.....but overall I enjoyed the game.

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™

[Post New]by ilane49 on Jan 29, 11 11:48 AM
bfgFlounder wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/135995.page>here</a>.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

[Post New]by hollykfromga on Jan 30, 11 11:49 AM
I just finished this game and there were some things I liked about it and some things that I didn't. I for one enjoyed the video sequences and thought they blended in smoothly with the game. I thought it was an interesting feature how you were actually able to take some objects from their hands and place other objects into their hands.

I also did not like how the child supposedly died at the end. I am glad they at least did not show her in the water, but again I think an alternate ending for her would have been better. Other than that, with the 'twist'....the homeowners ending up being the 'bag guys' was good. However this ending did not tie in to the video showing at the very beginning of the game, with the dad reading the story to the little girl. If the whole storyline of the dad being kidnapped was made up, this scene does not make sense.

Also, I did not like the idea of the townspeople wanting to trade plumbing help, air conditioner repair, shop stocking, etc for information. Try that with the police! 'Well officer, I did see that pedestrian just get run down. I've needed an oil change for a long time. Tell you what, you change my oil and I'll give you a description of the car that did it." Yeah right. I hope the next game has objectives that tie in with the storyline better. All in all I did enjoy the game and see myself purchasing the next edition.

refrezherator
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by refrezherator on Jan 30, 11 12:12 PM
Perfect game

valhollis
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by valhollis on Jan 30, 11 1:59 PM
Great game. Good story. Good hint system. Good acting. I enjoyed interviewing the suspects and hope that you will design more games with this format. The setting was well done. I liked most of the puzzles, although the piano puzzle seemed over complicated and I never could understand how to get the coins on the crypt going in the right direction until I looked at the solution in the walk-through. The main thing I didn't care for was the villain at the end repeating over and over "find the skulls, detective". This was nerve wracking and made it difficult to concentrate and solve the last couple puzzles. Thanks, developers! I look forward to the next Mystery Case Files game!

salyandpepper
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by salyandpepper on Feb 1, 11 2:29 PM
I loved this game and found it to be a lot better than some MCF games. The interaction with the people didnt put me off
The map section took me ages but I did get there in the end with no cheats. I do agree with Valhollis, telling me I was running out of time in the skull section drove me nuts and even though I turned off the sound to get rid of him the writing was just as bad.All in all a great game and one I will play again.
MORE PLEASE BFG

Edited on 02/01/2011 at 2:30:29 PM PST

teapartyrules
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by teapartyrules on Feb 2, 11 9:04 AM
I have to say I loved this game, but I needed to go to the strategy guide for a lot of the big stuff, like the swamp puzzle/cannons etc. The puzzles too were challenging but I got them all on my own with only a wee hint here and there. I found myself sitting there all day on a Saturday to finish this game, while my husband sat on his computer at the adjacent desk, working. He would look over once in a while, try to help me with some mini puzzles. (I tell him I play these games to insure against alzheimers, they give my brain a major workout--and it's him, not me--always asking "Have you seen my car keys, have you seen my wallet, LOL.)
I enjoy these newer games with video and live actors, this game had particulary talented people although the wife didn't have much to say eventually other than go away! Loved the hillbilly on the porch, scuzzy dude.
Overall, It was an addicting game and I finished it during one week in my free time, but I would sit for hours each time playing. Liked the actors, but again like others said, the little girl and dad scene in beginning made no sense when you found out the little girl was JUST as evil as the parents in the end. very weird. and (aSPOILER ALERT: she drowns with them, a very nasty ending.)
Great video and effects though.

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Feb 3, 11 10:04 PM
i guess i'm with the minority here, but i really didn't care for this game and didn't play past the demo. from what i've read here in the forums i think the things that i didn't like just continued and i wasn't really willing to risk spending money to find out.

1. i didn't care for the live acting, it wasn't really very convincing to me and it just sort of jerked me out of the story, it felt way too "high-tech" for the setting. also some of it was just bad, as in "i can totally tell that is not your native accent or real hair" bad with a little "i bet you're related to one of the producers" thrown in there.

gripe number 2...real life detectives do not trade errands for information! i'm here and i'm an awesome detective, i have detected some seriously Dire stuff, my Fate has hung in the balance, but i Returned for more!!!...so how is it that i have to collect cleaning buskets and cooking ingredients for some (attitude adjustment required) house keeper that is getting PAID to do it, almost as if it's HER job! i clean toilets in real life, why ever would i want to play toilet related information gathering games? maybe someone should contact the diner dash series and suggest to them "Middle-School Janitor Dash" just in case this concept explodes onto the gaming scene. i'm sure there are many people at home sitting around wondering how they could incorporate more of the mundane tasks of their real existence into their virtual fun and relaxation activities...
... please don't make another "go there do this" errand running style game. again i'm a DE-TEC-TIVE!!!

here are some pro's: the graphics were mostly pretty and...stuff...

i loooved the other MCF's i have played. i didn't even really mind the live action in Dire Grove because it was "evidence" for the most part and the rest of the time i was the super awesome detective in some seriously creepie circumstances, exactly what i'm looking for when i see MCF!

yeah so if you haven't already guessed it's a no buy for me unless maybe someday down the road it's a DD and i've not already had to clean my own toilets that day.

(the previous opinions are just mine and not meant to offend anyone who "loved" and or "adored" this games to pieces) happy gaming!

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Feb 4, 11 1:17 AM
I've been playing this one off and on since it came out and finally finished it tonight. In terms of length of game play, I would say you definitely get your money's worth with the SE version. I did find some of the minigames towards the end to be somewhat difficult and I found myself consulting the walkthrough a lot. Whether this was because I had gotten to the point where I just wanted to finally finish the game or whether they really were that difficult, I'm not sure.

I had no problems with the the video, etc., although I found myself skipping most of the conversations. The music was bad either. I did have to turn the sound off at the end because the nagging voice of the perp grated on me. Otherwise, the only major thing that I disliked and really left me with a dissatisfied feeling was the ending. I felt it could have played out a lot better. Even with the developers' rather lame attempt at trying to make the child appear evil, there was absolutely no reason to kill off the family, much less the child. I felt that ruined the whole game for me.

lucygirl7
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by lucygirl7 on Feb 4, 11 4:57 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't care for this game at all. It wasn't exciting for me, and didn't challenge me. It directed us to specific sites to look for specific things, and I felt as if I couldn't go all over the place like I usually do just to explore and play games. Also, the conversations that I feel we have to listen to because we may miss a clue, are totally boring a waste of time. I'm odd man out on this one, I guess.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Feb 5, 11 4:49 PM
mendoyln, thanks for that witty, honest, and entertaining review. I really had to agree with your assessment of the actors as being the "I can tell that's a wig" and "you must know someone in production" types. In fact, if you sit through the long credits at the end, you'll see that some of the "talent" in the game are also some of the makers of the game. No surprises there, but with the huge budget MCF has at their command, they really should get better actors if they are going to do the live-action thing. I do think some of the live actors in this were good (the barmaid, the "pickup" dude at the bar, Momma Aimee), but some were just terrible (notably Mary Lee and Charlotte Landry).

Anywho, I came here to say that I take back my negative review which I wrote way back when I first demo'd the CE. I hated the game then; I hated the live actors, I hated the "objectives", I thought the game too easy, etc etc. So I never even finished the demo of the CE.

But when the SE came out I decided to try again and I must eat crow and say I am glad I did. I ended up loving the game!! I got used to the live actors and even w/ the bad acting I found it rather amusing. I loved the scenery..really beautiful. I liked the creepiness factor.

Some ppl said having the live actors made them feel less "alone", which they didn't like because half the fun of MCF games is feeling you're on your own solving a mystery. Well, for some reason I felt almost *more* alone in this one because the people seemed ...I don't know, out of place, or something. Like they are there talking w/ you for a few mins then they aren't and you're alone trying to solve stuff. I found it made for an interesting "feel". I liked it once I got used to it.

I did not, however, like most of the puzzles. They seemed rushed and many were so annoying I skipped them and I rarely do that in games. They weren't intricate, different, or interesting in many cases--just tedious (sliders, etc). I do think there always needs to be a RESET button on puzzle games. I'd have been more likely to work through some of them if they had that but i couldn't find it so I skipped to avoid being bored and frustrated.

The map puzzles (cannons, metal detector) were kind of cool, and I didn't mind doing errands for the characters. It's a game after all, so who cares if a real detective wouldn't do that.

If you're like me and didn't like this game at first, I suggest give it a bit longer, it might grow on you.

llstjohn
Flounder
Flounder
2,487 Posts

[Post New]by llstjohn on Feb 6, 11 8:47 AM
I too demoed this game and liked it very much so I bought it. The only thing I don't like about it is the fllthy disgusting scenes, like the inside of the refrigerator and the bag of garbage in the kitchen. All the MCF games have scenes like these and to me, it takes away from the enjoyability of the game. Just not enough to keep me from playing them because they are challenging.

Go to: