Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Murder Island: Secret of Tantalus

[Post New]by Lauradelenn on Feb 6, 11 5:23 PM
[quote
Sometimes hopes can come true. The development team behind this game and the Tex Murphy games have hopes/plans of producing a Tex Murphy sequel. There are things in the works at this time. You can go to their web site and find a link to a radio interview where they talk about it. I believe the game that they have hinted at on their site as "in the works" is the beginning. We now have something to really look forward to............ {hope, hope}
m
PS to add: Did you recognize the voice of the pilot in this game? If you are a Tex Murphy fan, you might have recognized Chris Jones' voice -- at least it sounded like him.

Ahhhh! I could kiss you! That's the best news I've had in a while. Those games had noir down pat, and Chris Jones was a perfect private eye! Great humor, too.

It's so good to know that the game house remembers their fans. They (makers) must have adored that game line as well, to have tried so hard for so long to bring another TM adventure to life.

I wonder where they'll start this Tex Murphy game from - a reboot of the first one, or continue from the last? I rather hope not the latter, as I didn't like the....crud, it was "something moon", the last one nearly as well as the others. Thanks for the information, truly.

Re: Pilot's voice - I think you're right! His voice sounded higher in some of the dialogue, but the last bit of the voice over did indeed sound like him. He was specially thanked in the credits, so I'm guessing it was him. Awesome!

[Post New]by purplehatlady on Feb 8, 11 5:58 AM
Thank you goofyduck for your really excellent review of this game, have been waiting for my credits to arrive and now I am off to spend some of them on this game. My thanks once again. purplehatlady

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Feb 8, 11 8:20 AM
OT - Tex Murphy.

I rather hope not the latter, as I didn't like the....crud, it was "something moon", the last one nearly as well as the others.

I think Laura's thinking of Under A Killing Moon, which was the game before The Pandora Directive. The last one was Overseer, a filmed version of the first game, Mean Streets, which was for DOS.

Edited on 02/08/2011 at 8:21:08 AM PST

Keziah000
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Keziah000 on Feb 10, 11 1:51 AM
I beta tested this game and enjoyed it then and now. It's different - a whodunit, murder mystery with a great twist at the end, that I for one didn't see coming. I found the story line really intriguing and the voice acting terrific - some of the best available. I liked the comic strip style of the dialogue.
It was a bit clunky as far as scene changes and the lower tab, not dropping away quickly drove me nuts and really spoiled it for me as I had to click it several times per scene, to remove it and see the bottom of the screen. Also the music (or lack) really let it down, and would have helped the mood considerably. If this had the same cyrstal clear graphics of other games - and was just smoother in operation it would easily be one of my faves. Still - entertaining overall all. Thank you for thinking of a different story!!

BlueOctober
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by BlueOctober on Feb 10, 11 7:18 AM
I beta tested this game, too. You would have thought that BFG would let the BETA testers know when the game comes out, but they didn't. I just happened to think about it yesterday and went in search of and found it. I enjoyed the game in BETA so I was happy to see it had come out.

I LOVE the concept of this game. It's a hidden object game, but it's also a murder mystery, so there's a point to searching for things. There is a skip button, which came in handy a few times for me. The storyline was great, but the cut scenes were choppy and I think my game skipped a few of them at the beginning. At least compared to the BETA.

I also didn't like the box at the bottom that kep telling my what I was "supposed" to be doing. SOOOO annoying!

Game play length for me was about 4-5 hours. low average, I'd say. I didn't get all the tiles....couldn't find the very last one and gave up trying.
All in all, I enjoyed this game.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Feb 10, 11 7:43 PM
Lauradelenn wrote:I was pleasantly suprised by this game; at first, I thought this would at best be an average HOG game, but ended up being pretty impressed with it.

Brightly lit scenes, nice scenery, good HOGs that had items that made sense for the scene and most of which were not too terribly hard to find. The sound effects were nice and appropriate (such as windchimes at the fountain), present to enhance the feeling that you were really on a Greek island, but not obtrusive. I barely noticed the music, to be honest.

The puzzles were middling hard to almost easy, which is good in my book. I like the odd puzzle or three, but really hate the absolutely impossible ones that require complicated mapping out to figure how to move your pieces or connect things. These were just difficult enough to not be too easy and provide a change up from just travelling between scenes or doing hidden object scenes.

It was nice to have a really good, interactive storyline that held up throughout the game; it was integral to the game and not just a prop used at the beginning to start a loosely connected series of static HOG scenes. I also don't normally enjoy having live actors in my games, but found these to be helpful in making it seem as if I were really part of a group of people stranded on the island.

I must admit I suspected fairly early on much of what was going on in terms of plot, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the game at all - the game was well enough done that I enjoyed the twists and turns regardless...

This game was WELL worth the 4.99 price tag, and would be good for 6.99 as well. I look forward to more adventure games from this developer!

Precisely my thoughts, too!

[Post New]by Linda_in_Aussie on Feb 12, 11 10:48 AM
This is an excellent unique game. At first I found it bewildering & stopped playing just because I was stuck and didn't know where to go or what to do.

After going back to it I discovered the concept of the map.

Interesting story line and different kind of game. The puzzles aren't all easy but challenging.

Some of the objects are small and not well defined but the good old hint button charges quickly. But the background scenes are great.

One of the better games I've played for quite a while.

Great value.

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Feb 12, 11 4:46 PM
Just finished this game and really enjoyed the story, setting and atmosphere. I also appreciated the map that shows you where there's stuff to do and gives you shortcuts to jump around the map. The use of actors and photo-realistic scenes really made the story come to life, but made for hidden object scenes that weren't as pretty as something along the lines of MCF or Puppetshow.

mamacarole629
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by mamacarole629 on Feb 12, 11 6:39 PM
Just finished this game and thoroughly enjoyed it. I actually got into the story which I usually don't. Lots of interaction. Some items are small but most are not bad. Very good game. Did not listen to the music but the graphics are good. Thumbs up!!!!
Most difinitely reccommend. Carole

Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Mistickel on Feb 14, 11 3:20 AM
It's a decent game, but not a buy for me. Not nearly as sophisticated as others that came out recently and most of the items are tiny.

[Post New]by rebeccartist on Feb 17, 11 10:20 AM
I must be in the minority here (and perhaps it's my age), but I just finished the demo and I am in the "undecided" camp as to whether I'll buy it.

Pros: Nice graphics, nice setting (yea for some SUN and bright colors), decent (mostly) **** games, fairly interesting plot.

Cons: ::hitting head against the wall:: Why are game makers giving us these dumbed down versions of a game? Why the constant objective bar at the bottom? Why are you telling me what to do ALL the time? I don't understand what is fun about this. I am honestly not getting where the "game" is in this one (and others I've played recently). If you tell me what to do each step of the way than all I'm doing is following your directives and playing some **** scenes. The puzzles in the demo hour were also extremely easy.

Con #2: Some of the HOs in the **** games were incredibly tiny and indistinguishable. This is not fun, but just kind of silly. I could be snarky here about the game developers, but I won't. Hide the objects from us, don't make them disappear to a speck of color.

Con #3: This game seems to be skewed for young dudes. The boys were the ones who were front and center in the cut scenes. There was a young woman on the beach (amongst the boys) who stood there in her bikini bottoms and supposedly was the "smart" one but who had little to contribute while the dudes (all fully clothed of course) kept carrying the plot along. Then I got through the gate and yet more dudes told me what to do. Then I went to a pool and there's a "b***ch" woman, again in bikini, who was about to say "O.M.G...." Good grief. Thank goodness my hour was up at that point.

Sometimes I wish the BFG would put an age target on these games. I'm being honest here. Perhaps an IQ target, too.

Are twenty-something dudes a market at BFG? Or are they simply the game developers and so can't see beyond their own nose? "Kewl! We need more babes in bikinis! This is a vacation spot! Kewl!"

::sigh::

Not what I was looking for, and not what I expected, though I'm beginning to see that BFG is dumbing down the games, or the developers are dumbing down the games, or something is going on, but I've been more disappointed than not over the past eight months or so. I mean, come on -- put a mirror up to a lock that you already have the combination to and *that's* the puzzle? Gee, I wonder if I can read 4 digits backwards? Hmmmm...... don't wanna tax those grey cells too much.....

What is the point?

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on Feb 17, 11 7:59 PM
LOL! Well, if you didn't like the "Kewl, Dude!" aspect of the plot, you'll definitely hate the ending!

Actually, I enjoyed the game very much. I too learned to ignore the "what to do next" bar at the bottom, and also found the map a wonderful thing. Who needs a walkthrough when you can just click on a yellow dot and - boom - there you are, right at the spot where you need to do something, with no need to wander aimlessly around. Big time-saver, and especially helpful to those of us with a less than stellar sense of direction.

Really liked the twisty-turny plot; at first I suspected someone innocent because I thought that person had information they wouldn't have known unless they had done the killin' - but it turned out that wasn't right (so perhaps they discovered the information when I wasn't looking)!

I also liked the length of the game - it was "just right." I can think of a couple of games that I enjoyed very much but that dragged on too long and made me anxious to "wrap things up." I'd guess this one took between 4 and 5 hours, which is plenty long. I look forward to more from this developer; I also enjoyed the "Dead Time" series immensely.

diggermonty
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by diggermonty on Feb 20, 11 6:25 AM
A neat departure from the usual Hidden Object Game. It actually had a story line, more than three characters, and an interesting locale. The graphics are above average except for the cut scenes which seems to have been done using pastel crayons.
I started this game after quitting Jane Angel: Templar Mystery halfway through. No comparison. The Jane Angel game was a tedious bore. This one is interesting and challenging. It shows that the developers actually had playability in mind and didn't rush to get it to the market place. You don't need a magnifying glass in the hidden object scenes.

[Post New]by coffeyfan77 on Feb 20, 11 5:49 PM
I personally liked this game a great deal. I agree with the previous poster that it was reminiscent of Harper's Island, and as any fan of that show will tell you it got a bit too soap opera at times but ended up being a darn good time.

The plot has its issues, but it keeps you guessing. I really like the map and the way it allows you to save time from backtracking through the game. So many hidden object games get credit for having such long playing times, but I personally find it tedious to slog through the same sixteen scenes randomly looking for new items. I thought this way of handling it was better and fit in with the game.

Graphics were interesting and the voices were good. The way it ended was pretty lame, but that's almost to be expected anymore as every game tries to set up a sequel.

Overall worth the price in my view.

[Post New]by twistednarcist on Feb 21, 11 5:46 PM
Like many others, I 'd initially thought this was going to be a boring game but it turns out to be kinda addicitive. The storyline's definitely interesting.
One thing I don't like is that the hidden objects can be pretty tiny sometimes.
It take a little patience to like this game!

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Feb 25, 11 7:04 PM
I enjoyed playing this game. More than I thought I would have. It felt like I was in a film! Lol!!

[Post New]by buzzibee74108 on Feb 27, 11 7:01 AM
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES IN A LONG TIME

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Mar 8, 11 12:02 PM
This was a punch card buy for me, and I am so glad I did. Wonderful little HOG in a location that isn't dark and spooky [my usual faire.. ..ha!]. In fact, it is set in present day on an island with characters in their 20's or 30's so its not a period piece. Really liked the "snapshot" board for the dialog and voice-over to move the story line. I never listen to the , but the sound effects... ... ... were great as were the graphics and art....cute hints for objects to find, and some that had to be combined.....bright and sunny. Excellent mapping system [always a plus], but I wish they'd have told me how many tiles I found [know I didn't get them all].....My only gripe was the totally annoying pop-up hint box that was hard to get rid of at times........grrrrr which made me rate it a + 1/2 instead of a 4. Good fun....... ...... ......*smack

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Mar 8, 11 12:05 PM
but I wish they'd have told me how many tiles I found [know I didn't get them all].....
They do. Each tile you find changes colour round the clock. I think there are 8 * 12 tiles to find.

Liz_Lemon
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by Liz_Lemon on Mar 9, 11 3:59 PM
ugh, I hated this game.
Objects lack clarity and it wasn't very interesting.
And you can get hung up with no more helpful hints.

Go to: