GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Seekers: The Secret of the Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Mar 8, 11 3:56 PM
dancemom1 wrote:For what it's worth...OMG! I played the demo and stayed as long as I could. Everyone else has already said it all. I have 3 credits waiting to be used. I think this is the worst month we have had since I joined the pond and it's only the 8th!

I too have 3 credits and in 3 days I will have 4 (my monthly credit). It irks me that the 3 credits will probably expire before finding something worth buying. OK I'm getting off my soapbox for now. I usually don't rant and I know it's not PMS -- way too old for that!

kmgc46
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Seekers: The Secret of the Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by kmgc46 on Mar 8, 11 4:11 PM
I also got very bored very quickly. All the "help" boxes and shooting ghosts were tedious and grainy dark hidden object scenes. I do like having additional items, such as gems, to find, but not being able to move forward until a certian amount are found?
I could not pause the game or adjust volume. A no for me.

Edited on 03/08/2011 at 4:13:43 PM PST

sokjeff
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by sokjeff on Mar 8, 11 4:44 PM
This is just plain bad. It seems the standards are really slipping. I am surprised this did not go right to the daily deal. This is one stinky fish!

KRSPDS
Shark
Shark
10,491 Posts

[Post New]by KRSPDS on Mar 8, 11 6:02 PM
I actually managed (just) to play the demo for the full 60 minutes, but I was sure watching the clock - I continued to play to try to be fair to the game. I can't believe how boring the game was and painful . I have arthritis in my right writst and those shoot them ups were starting to really hurt. The Hidden Object Scenes (the few that there were) were repeatitive, they always seemed to be asking for the same objects, coins, bows, newpapers, medals etc . I think that the developers and writers of this game have a terminal case of no imagination. The gems were very difficult to see, and my graphics were clean and clear and the need for an ever increasing amount of them is annoying and the fact that you have to wait until after you attempt to enter the house before being told about them is just silly.

In all, a bad and annoying game that I cannot imagine even 7-11 year olds enjoying - they often have a much shorter attention span than adults, and if adults find it slow, repeatitive and annoying, how are children meant to slog through it?

I can understand why some people like the game, but personally I hated every second of it. Oh, well better luck next time.

[Post New]by Corilafr on Mar 8, 11 6:19 PM
This game is terrible. I have never been so frustrated with a big fish hidden object game. The gems are impossible to find, the cursor sucks, and it's too hard to find where the puzzles and hidden object scenes are. Never want to see this game again.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 8, 11 6:39 PM
Rather surprised by all the retired people on this site. I will soon be retired myself and in the summer I tend to play alot of these games because I am a teacher. Seems like Big Fish has some type of duty to help the elderly keep their minds sharp and focused through these games plus help them while away the hours. Just kidding of course. But, really, all the stinkeroos of late are having me reconsider my membership. I have like four free games to use and nothing to purchase. And I know tomorrow or Thursday is going to be another CE which I will be dying to purchase because again I have nothing to play and the lower price games are horrible! Not fair, I say. Where are all the game developers? Surely there are some talented young gamers who can come up with better games than this.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Mar 8, 11 7:06 PM
Good grief! BFG, what were you thinking?! Of all the less-than-stellar games out there, this has to be one of the worst. No music, virtually no storyline (you get a poor excuse for one if you click the Journal on a regular basis), very rudimentary graphics, extremely unimaginative mini-games (I admit, I only endured 22 minutes of the demo). By the way, if you want instructions for how to play this "game", click on the "?" in the upper right corner of the screen. This might be acceptable as a class assignment in a beginner's computer programming course, but as a game that players would actually want to purchase, forget it!

[Post New]by carolemoore1961 on Mar 8, 11 8:04 PM
One of the few times I read the reviews before playing...should've listened to them too..but gave it a shot and there's 18 minutes of my life I won't get back. Don't know if anyone else had the problem but the cursor was jerky and if you didn't have it just so-so on the target it wouldn't move. Did not like the game at all....

cherzy13
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by cherzy13 on Mar 8, 11 9:59 PM
I LOVE "MYSTERY SEEKER GAMES", SO I TRIED THE DEMO, DESPITE THE HARSH CRITICISM. WELL, BOY WAS I DISAPPOINTED. THE CRITICISM WAS NOT HARSH ENOUGH!! IT TOOK ME 15 MIN. JUST TO GET THROUGH THE FIRST HIDDEN OBJECT SCENE BECAUSE THE GRAPHICS ARE SO OBSCURE. THE NEXT 15 MIN. WAS SPENT ON PURE BOREDOM. I DON'T KNOW WHO IN THE WORLD THEY'RE GETTING TO DESIGN THESE LATEST HOGS, BUT THEY ARE AN INSULT TO OUR INTELLIGENCE. HOW ABOUT TRYING THEM OUT ON ONE OF US WHO ONLY BUY HOGS, LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE GIVING THEM ALL MY HONEST OPINIONS. THEN MY HALF HOUR OF TIME WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN WASTED TRYING OUT THIS DRECK!!!

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Mar 8, 11 10:00 PM
I played the game in two bouts, and I was totally stymied in finding the 11th gem--I used the hint button three times and couldn't interpret what it meant. I was on the verge of buying the game (figuring that I was having problems because of congenital stupidity), so thanks to all the fishes whose negative comments raised my perception of my IQ and convinced me not to spend the money!

I'm eclectic in my gaming--I like the various kinds of hidden object games best, but I also do some time management games and even an occasional arcade game--but I am on the verge of canceling my membership since I too have trouble using up the credits since we can't use them for the CE games.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Mar 8, 11 10:09 PM
This game is an example of BF putting out to many games the games are getting worse as they go this game is horrid the objects are so hard to see that even a mag would not work they have a micro piece of a drum hidden and the except you to know its a drum booooooooooooooooooo. Come on BF put some games out that we can use our credits lost 3 already waiting for at least a decent game to come out. If this is the junk that your going to put out please don't give us a time frame to use our credits.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Mar 8, 11 11:16 PM
Hmmm I'm wondering if I played the same game as ya'll?? I didn't think it was all that bad. It reminds me of the old adventure games and the letters read much like the text you would have found in those games where imagination was key. I found it interesting and couldn't wait for the next letter. It would have been better if they had not tried to make it a hog just to suit the masses since it really isn't that type of game. They would have been better to keep it a puzzle/adventure game and I think the reviews wouldn't have been anything like these.

The H0 scenes were fine... a little junk piley but the items were large and easy to find. I got through a few in the trial and only used one hint (and I do agree the time penalty for using a hint? Not good.) The gems were easy enough to find and the shoot the ghosts game was pretty fun. I don't understand the complaints about the large curser being hard to click on the hidden objects... really? If anything the large curser made it easier. I do agree that some of the objects weren't placed very well... I mean seriously a tiny corner of brown for a clock? That's stupid. But otherwise they were clear and easy to see.

I don't know how old this game is but I think if the devs went back in and revamped it to a straight adventure/puzzle game they'd find a nice market for it. Although they need to work on the design a bit... not cool to click on tons of things only to be told over and over that it's locked or you need some other object to open it... heck there was one where I found the object to open it and then got a message that said "it worked! but now you need xyz to read it" or some such nonsense. LOL!!! (Using generic words so as not to include spoilers.)

It wouldn't take much to make this a really fun old style adventure game... I'd buy in a heartbeat if they revamped it and re-released it. Loved those old text based adventures.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Mar 8, 11 11:20 PM
Forgot to say... if it really is aimed at 7-12 or whatever they said... then they really really missed the mark. Are they kidding? Kids that age would be bored silly with a game like this... too much reading and clicking for nothing. I have kids in that age range and this is so not something they would enjoy. I know I said it before but the market for this (with a few revisions) is really the older crowd that remembers with fondness the text based games... fix it up a bit... make it a bit harder and less frustrating with all the "that is locked... that is stuck you need a tool... that is locked... you need a light..." over and over and over.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 9, 11 12:17 AM
dfringer wrote:pungstress,
I liked the Exorcist game too. I've been replaying my old games, because new releases that are worth playing have been few and far between.
Well, today is nothing again. I download now Exorcist. Hope it's a good one. Than I can use a credit.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 9, 11 12:26 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:
dfringer wrote:pungstress,
I liked the Exorcist game too. I've been replaying my old games, because new releases that are worth playing have been few and far between.
Well, today is nothing again. I download now Exorcist. Hope it's a good one. Than I can use a credit.
O dear, I only have 1 minute to play. And I really don't now why I did't buy it.

ibn1984
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ibn1984 on Mar 9, 11 1:03 AM
Well Fishes, I scrolled through 7 pages of comments, and I didn't see one from our Goofyduck77, unless I missed it. After reading all those comments, I guess he said, to quote MC Hammer "can't touch this"

Edited on 03/09/2011 at 1:05:55 AM PST

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Mar 9, 11 3:39 AM
I'm sorry but I have to agree - this game was awful. The objects were hard to find and what's with all the horrid puzzles? It seems like I was getting nowhere fast. The hour demo went by and I hardly accomplished a thing. I would rate this a "2" out of a "10". This is one of the lowest I have ever gone.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Mar 9, 11 6:22 AM
Maybe BFG should put an age rating on the games? I mean this was obviously an older game but the puzzles and the play would be sufficient for an 8-year-old as somebody said. If they put a recommended rating then members would at least have some idea of what they were getting into and it wouldn't be so frustrating for everybody? You could choose to try it or not try it and then say, yup, definitely for 8-11 or well, gee, maybe so but I still liked it. But at least you'd have an idea going into it?

[Post New]by Dreamsmom on Mar 9, 11 7:01 AM
This game is impossible. I tried the demo, and since I'm really slow at playing, I didn't get very far, but for me that's normal. I did buy the game and had high hopes in having a great time with it. It's horrible, never mind the graphics, it's the fact that you get terribly STUCK, lose time with a hint, can't go any farther than the upstairs hall, PLEASE, let me exchange this game for another. I've been with BF for some time now, and I get all my enjoyment out of these games. My S.S.check don't go far these days, but what if we could get the CE for 2 game credits, it would be better than nothing.

Edited on 03/09/2011 at 7:02:55 AM PST

jgracinfan
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by jgracinfan on Mar 9, 11 7:41 AM
I guess I am playing a different game because I like it. I have played off and on for 2 days and am enjoying it's difference from most hidden object games. The objects are not that hard to find. Maybe people should try it for more then 10 minutes.

Go to: