Akela16
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Samhain Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Akela16 on Apr 6, 11 8:10 AM
I don't have to repeat all the praises and admiration for this game. I played the Mac version of the CE and everything worked smoothly. The hidden object screens were fantastic ... lots of challenge. The puzzles are varied and challenging. Usually I persist in solving them but there were a couple that I had to skip because I had expended all of my mental resources trying to solve it. The animation in some of the scenes was terrific .. I was especially blown away to see the bridge that spans the chasm slowly unroll and extend itself over the abyss. This game is like a well-rehearsed nightmare with something unexpected popping up before you get too comfortable. I am looking forward to play the bonus gameplay .... I almost missed it ... it's hidden at the bottom R of the options for concept art, wallpaper and music.
I'm glad I purchased the CE ... it's well worth it.

Akela16
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by Akela16 on Apr 6, 11 6:36 PM
I've just finished the "extra gameplay" for Samhain. More difficult hidden object scenes ... lots of challenge. Some very interesting puzzles, and a fast running plot. Just when things were getting very interesting I had just found the **** and was exiting when I was confronted by the guards whereupon I dropped the **** and suddenly the game ended very unexpectedly. Perhaps a set-up for a sequel ?
Super game ... I'm glad I got the Collector's Edition ... it was well worth it.

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Apr 7, 11 5:39 PM
Nice game, good artwork, interesting storyline. This was a nice long game for the money. The bonus gameplay didn't add much to the story for me, but I did enjoy playing for a longer period of time. I'm not really into the kind of spy vs spy character of the story, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I've enjoyed other titles by this company. If you are looking for a nice long game for the money the collector's edition is worth it. I look at it this was--the collectors editions for Big Fish subscribers are like getting 2 games for the price of one provided the bonus content is long enough. I never use the wallpapers and screen savers, but do enjoy seeing the artwork and concept art. The music was ok, but can be heard in other games, so it's not an entirely new score. For those who use the wallpapers, screen savers, and music it's definitely worth the extra money and is icing on the cake. I'd also like to mention that it's good to have access to the extras withouth having to complete the bonus game--that's something I've not encountered with other CE.

Edited on 04/07/2011 at 5:42:18 PM PST

[Post New]by Morrigahn on Apr 12, 11 12:30 AM
Loved the game itself; artwork, puzzles and play were top notch.

My only issue? Demonizing an entire culture's (Celtic peoples) history, legends and mythology. Just FYI: Cernunnos was not a 'god of death,' (just the opposite; he was a fertility god), nor were the Sidhe 'evil.' Nor did/do the Celts believe in 'evil' or 'demons' - those belong to other religions and mythologies - most notably the Abrahamic, Asian and Hindu faiths.

Next time, please make up a fictional entity/setting not based on someone else's culture, please. We can see from a couple of preceding comments that some people are now going to associate anything Celtic (and Samhain) with 'evil.' *sigh*

Thank you.

Edited on 04/12/2011 at 12:43:34 AM PST

BeanerECMO
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by BeanerECMO on Apr 15, 11 7:32 AM
Fine graphics, and somewhat logical in the progression of the game.

[Post New]by PaganAuthor on Apr 18, 11 7:26 PM
Quoted: "due to the fact that Samhain is one of the high holidays in the Pagan/Wiccan religion and I won't see it made out to something it isn't. I'm sure the many other religions represented on this forum wouldn't buy a game that involved one of their sacred days (really, can you see a Passover or Easter HOG?). "

Precisely. I also found the content offensive. Cernunnos a "demon"? Really, now. I wonder how it would go over if there were game in which the Xtian god was called a "demon"?
)O(

ccostly
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by ccostly on Apr 19, 11 7:02 PM
Fun and exciting! We loved the demo. Will eagerly await the SE (hint hint Big Fish )!

This will be a definite buy for a SE...Very cool graphics, chilling and creepy scenes. Music okay, was doing a constant loop though which got kinda annoying. We liked the symbolism, even though it was a bit Hollywood, not really staying to a folklore so far from what we could tell. Especially when the gates closed and you hear a Mwah hahahahaha! -- that part was cheesy.

[Post New]by maireaine on May 10, 11 10:08 PM
Cool game--but don't see too many Celtic references--hot air balloon,etc---I thought it would have more of a pagan Celtic feel to it---was looking forward to more mythical celtic lore...

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on May 14, 11 3:31 PM
Akela16 wrote:I've just finished the "extra gameplay" for Samhain. More difficult hidden object scenes ... lots of challenge. Some very interesting puzzles, and a fast running plot. Just when things were getting very interesting I had just found the **** and was exiting when I was confronted by the guards whereupon I dropped the **** and suddenly the game ended very unexpectedly. Perhaps a set-up for a sequel ?

The "sequel" is the main game - the bonus game appears to be a *prequel* to the main game; IOW, it's what happened to Robert prior to the events of the main game, in which you're playing the part of his ex-girlfriend.

Other than that, I'll echo what a couple of others have said - although the gameplay itself is good, the game as a whole is extremely offensive due to the incredibly inaccurate representation of a Celtic deity as a "demon", as well as no real connection to anything actually having to do with Celtic culture. Not to mention that even though the entire game is called "Samhain", there is NOTHING in the game itself that refers to the real holy day and what it's about.
IOW, not only are the portrayals of the deity and the festival offensive, they don't even have any relation to their place in Celtic folklore OR modern Celtic-based paganism.
The game designers didn't even get the time of year right - Samhain is in the autumn (late October/early November), but the game graphics show spring/summer and winter.

Editing to add:

If anyone made a game like this using Christian or Jewish motifs, depicting a saint or holy person as an evil demon, just imagine how the fur would fly!

Edited on 05/14/2011 at 3:34:32 PM PST

[Post New]by Nebride on May 14, 11 7:15 PM
I was really uncomfortable with the religious aspect of this game. It's the same old tired propaganda that the Christian Church started centuries ago portraying the pagan beliefs as being "evil". The "bad guy" in this particular game is the old benevolent forest god - important to the country people of Europe and particularly, Great Britain.

Because of the heavy religious slant of this game, I decided not to purchase it. A shame, since the graphics looked really pretty and the ghostly atmosphere was rather fun.

Nevertheless - a no go for me.

peggyjuneybug
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by peggyjuneybug on May 20, 11 7:26 PM
snapnhiss wrote:
OzzyRobyn wrote:Yep, let's leave religion out. As humanist agnostic scientist I find crosses and crucifixes and church windows and saints and angels and stuff like that offensive. They should go too. Or do only certain rigid subsets of Xtianity get to complain about religious symbols they don't like?

Unless it's those stone angels from Doctor Who, because those are super scary.

I agree on the stone angels. My friends who don't watch the doctor were riveted to their seats and now occasionally peek looks at statues.

[Post New]by NJMysteryMan on May 25, 11 8:17 AM
Beautiful game. Ran smoothly and it does everything right. As others have said, the hints recharge quickly, the HOS are not overly difficult, but not easy, just the right mix and the story was something new. However, I bought the CE and halfway through the game I got bored with it. I love the supernatural and the "haunted house" type HOGS but for some reason, this story veered off into Sci-Fi and lost me. I didn't finish the game and right now, having owned it for a while, I'm not planning on it. But if I ever get the whim to, I'll re-load it up. Can't really complain about it, just not for me. Usually I love when HOGS are long, but this is the first time I could actually say it was maybe too long for me. Glad that other fishies are enjoying it though.

nehmah
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by nehmah on Jul 30, 11 12:44 AM
mamajay wrote:Moonlightgrey, if I ever have the money (and lots of very warm clothes, lol) I just might take you up on the offer

However, just to reassure you, our 'Kookas' are daytime birds, belonging to the Kingfisher family, if memory serves correctly, and I can assure you (having never heard a night hawk, lol) that the bird you hear early in the game is a kookaburra.

I just checked on youtube. There is one called Laughing Kookaburra. See what you think. I couldn't find night hawk (other than planes and stuff)

Try the nightjar for sounds.
Because of it's really wierd cry there is a bird called the nightjar in Puerto Rice (wikipedia) also called the chupacabra-from the ancient Greek belief that the bird sucked the milk of goats and sheep. The male has a churring sound which makes me think of a very grouchy cicaida. Nehmah

[Post New]by spikescajunmom on Aug 16, 11 11:17 PM
Just replayed this game again. I really did enjoy it. Played on Advanced or Hard which I normally do and it gave me a challenge. Some of the puzzles or mini-games were very challenging. Didn't time myself, but it did take at least 4 hours (not including bonus). Lots of **** scenes. Also walking around and finding items and solving mini-games, puzzles. Beautiful graphics. Some may not like the content i.e. demons, religious theme, etc. so it's not for everyone.

[Post New]by MichaelMaiden25 on Nov 5, 11 7:24 AM
All I can say is WOW! This was a great game, can't wait for Templar!

[Post New]by Ruviane on Nov 15, 11 2:54 AM
The graphics were beautiful, but the story was upsetting. First, it seemed chopped into bits, the different areas didn't really flow well. Second, and far worse, was the way that the ancient Celtic beliefs were portrayed. Cernnunos was NOT a demon, or a god of death, he was the god of fertility and nature. I kept hoping that it was humans manipulating the spirits somehow. Being of Celtic descent as well as Wiccan, it is a slap in the face to see this portrayed in a game in such a manner. It is kind of like having a game where Saint Peter were to try and bring the end of the world in order to bring the final judgement... I am highly disappointed by this and wish I hadn't bothered purchasing it.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Jan 4, 12 10:01 AM
Review after finishing the game:

The Good:

+ adequate graphics
+ achievements
+ slight twist to some hidden object scenes, like having to find a dip net to get objects in a pond
+ length of game

The Neutral:

o All riddles (safe for the very last one during the bonus adventure) very easy
o as usual an "area complete" would have been nice...
o the end came a bit abrupt

The Bad:

- ...which would have saved lots of useless running around...
- ...cause it was not always clear where to proceed next
- story was a bit hit and miss (where did that procession of people go to?)

Bonus Content:

The story leading up to the events through the eyes of the main character's husband. Good length. Story Hidden object scenes and riddles are needed for overall achievements.

Bottom Line: Good game, but the regular edition will do. The bonus content provides a bit of back story and the usual doodads but is not necessary to understand the whole game.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 19, 12 1:31 PM
What a difference 18 months makes...

This isn’t elephant’s first HOPA, I think that was MT: the void but this feels and plays like their first (the lost games I put in another category). Comparing it to their recent games what a difference! It doesn’t feel or plays like their other games.
While this would be a good enough straight SE (and I don’t recommend the CE as bonus wasn’t long and apart from achievements there are no extras and you get achievements in the SE) if you are expecting an ‘elephant’ game then I think you will be disappointed.

There is no transporter map, graphics are a weird mix of grainy to OKish, there are a lot of HOS and even more puzzles. Main story was OK you are off to try and find what happened to your ex, with of course twists to it.

Bonus story didn’t understand it but it was a bonus. The difference between this game and the hallowed legends templar is big but it shows how far elephant has come.

Here there are only two modes of play which is changeable during the game but advanced does still have faint sparkles sometimes and has sparkles on the HOS. There is also black bar tips. You can hide the inventory bar but hint button is in middle with diary to the right and inventory to the left.

Hint button isn’t their usual mini guide just shows you in a scene and if it’s not in the scene just one back button won’t keep going back to show you where you should go. There is no voiceover just dialogue boxes.

It’s hard to describe but something you have to see for yourself why the quality isn’t here compared to their other games. Apart from graphics, plot isn’t really there and I feel they put in a lot of HOS and puzzles to pad the game out without being part of a game. Here I felt like I was picking up one thing in one scene to use it in next and the backtracking is huge here. I know all HOPAs are like that but the really good ones don’t make you feel like you are doing that.

24 HOS

At least it’s their usual never repeat, and no random click penalty on their all list types. Most were junk pile or very nearly, some weren’t. Some were quite good in clarity and sharpness but others were more grainy. Some tiny items but not many. Don’t think any were interactive.

34 PUZZLES

Quite a few were very easy so very quick to do. Others were all varied hardness and some hard ones. Most of them were really old school but a couple were new.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 19, 12 1:32 PM
continued

EXTRAS

14 concept art
10 wallpaper
Screensaver 5 music
Achievements

Bonus play

Most of it was in old area but there were a few scenes that were new (70/30?) The ending was very abrupt and so quick I didn’t know what happened and wasn’t really following the bonus plot.

I counted 3 HOS and 7 PUZZLES (in addition to above numbers). It wasn’t quite the hour but very nearly but I skipped a puzzle (and didn’t spend much time on it).

The time is there for the main game - good bit over 5hrs and nearly another hour for the bonus.

But I skipped about 3 puzzles in main game (was bored didn’t want to do them) and another in the bonus. But as this has a lot of puzzles if you are going to skip quite a few then I think it will be a short game.

This so isn’t worth it for a CE. If you are looking for a good enough game with length and a lot of HOS as well as puzzles then get the SE.

pmcx2
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by pmcx2 on Jan 29, 13 4:26 PM
hi how many levels in this brillent game wow long game worth the money please let me know how many levels ty

Go to: